[MUL] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - "Zora's Domain (Day)" by Nacho2420 & Zeila

Started by Zeta, April 03, 2018, 07:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Zora's Domain (Day)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arrangers: Nacho2420 & Zeila

[attachment deleted by admin]

nacho2420

*Note: I got permisson from Zeila via PM asking if it was ok to use her night arrangement as a guideline for this one, and of course I gave her credit.

Latios212

Quote from: nacho2420 on April 03, 2018, 07:51:44 PM*Note: I got permisson from Zeila via PM asking if it was ok to use her night arrangement as a guideline for this one, and of course I gave her credit.
Nice! Could we add her as a co-arranger in the NSM Panel to reflect that?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Khunjund

I'm notorious for hating 15ma lines, but if there was one instance in which I wouldn't use it, it's in measure 32 of this arrangement. Sure, it goes a bit high, but you don't concatenate interval lines like that.

I've only skimmed the sheet, but it looks pretty good aside from that.
Please stop making lists using hyphens.

nacho2420

Latios:

Added!

Death:

I do prefer the 15ma simply because the B,A,G# would be really high to read even with the 8va (I personally like to keep the G with four ledger lines above the treble staff the highest I write before adding 8vas/15mas)

Not to dismiss your critique, but I'm open to hear what the other users have to say about it. Thanks for the lookout though

Sebastian

I like keeping the 15ma. Not everyone is a virtuosic pianist, so having a 15ma for a few notes isn't something to lose sleep over.

Khunjund

Quote from: Sebastian on April 04, 2018, 09:08:59 AMI like keeping the 15ma. Not everyone is a virtuosic pianist, so having a 15ma for a few notes isn't something to lose sleep over.

I don't know what's virtuoso about being able to read up to five ledger lines, and it's simply indecorous to chain together a longer 8va line and a stubby 15ma line in that manner.
Please stop making lists using hyphens.

Sebastian

Most musicians (the ones I know anyway) are not comfortable and/or even know how to read up five ledger lines. Since the majority of the people using the sheets NSM hosts are not advanced, let alone virtuosic, then there is no problem with including a 15ma line, especially if the arranger prefers it.

Latios212

Once again, job well done - great sheet! Bunch of things incoming.

- Raise the slur at the end of measure 2; it's currently too close to the tuplet.
- The notes in the three layers in the middle of m. 16 look a bit mixed up. Were some of them moved between layers to keep things looking nice? And is the hollowed-out notehead for the B intentional?
- Top margins are rather small.

And more interesting stuff!
- I feel like the last two beats of measure 3 naturally want to descend to the high A, which doesn't happen at the beginning of measure 4 like it does in the original. The A comes in later on beat 1.5, but beat 1 feels a bit unresolved. My suggestion - include the A, and throw the E to the left hand. Both hands can roll ninths (in fact, the original even has this chord rolled!) which I don't feel makes it terribly more difficult to play. Playing G-A with the right hand would also put it in a better position to play the subsequent 16th notes.
- About the 15ma in question, I'm generally in favor of reducing ledger lines. However, the way this is written seems a bit odd because it's only for two beats, and it breaks up the phrase at the barline between 31 and 32. If you want to keep the 15ma, I think it would be better written starting on the last note of measure 31. That way there's time to mentally trade off between the 8va and 15ma, and you preserve the contour of those notes.
- Also, for this section in measure 29 through the middle of 32, you could keep the left hand part on the bottom staff to prevent ambiguity as to what the ottava lines apply to, as well as clean up the part visually (see m. 31 beat 4).

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

nacho2420

Thanks for looking over!

-Fixed the slur position in m2

-not sure what to do with the three note chord in m16 without removing it, any ideas? I know it can be awkward to play but will be missed sonically to just have nothing there

-not sure what to adjust with the margins either

-added the A in m4

-fixed the 15ma

-fixed m29-32 in the cross staff

Latios212

Sure, no problem!

Quote from: nacho2420 on April 16, 2018, 12:36:46 PM-not sure what to do with the three note chord in m16 without removing it, any ideas? I know it can be awkward to play but will be missed sonically to just have nothing there
Whoops, sorry, I think I meant measure 6! That's what this was meant to apply to:
Quote from: Latios212 on April 04, 2018, 04:13:39 PM- The notes in the three layers in the middle of m. 16 look a bit mixed up. Were some of them moved between layers to keep things looking nice? And is the hollowed-out notehead for the B intentional?

Quote from: nacho2420 on April 16, 2018, 12:36:46 PM-not sure what to adjust with the margins either
You've got a half inch top margin which is good but the header info and page numbers float above that. Please refer to this post:
Quote from: Latios212 on April 13, 2018, 06:28:34 PM- Your header info as well as copyright are all currently outside the preset margins. While using the Text Tool, right click those and select "Edit Frame Attributes", and make sure the V (vertical) number is set to zero.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Sebastian

Bump for Nacho. Also, I'll check this one out later today as second "checker" so we can get this one done.

nacho2420

Thanks for the bump! Got really busy and didn't get to the most recent comments until now.

I un-hollowed out the B in measure 6, but I think the chords on the downbeats are ok where they're at an also fine in terms of playability, let me know if anything needs moving.

Fixed the title and page numbers so they're within the margins.

Sebastian