News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[MUL] Celeste - "Resurrections" by PlayfulPiano

Started by Zeta, March 29, 2018, 01:26:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: D3ath3657 on April 05, 2018, 08:13:49 PMIf you want to go that route for measures 66 and 67, you should probably make the notes cross-staff instead.

To raise repeat boxes, click the repeat tool, then click and drag the mouse so as to select every handle present on the boxes simultaneously, after which you can tap "up" until the boxes reach the desired height.

Measure 69 currently has a half note and a dotted half note in the right hand, which add up to five beats—one short of a 6/4 measure. But I truly believe you'd be better off writing it in 5/4 with a ritenuto.

Usually, you can fix misaligned layers by deleting the notes and entering them with the mouse at the precise height you want them.

This is what I meant by "continuing the right-hand motif":
Spoiler
[close]
Naturally, you'd drop this pattern whenever the countermelody shows up.
Not exactly sure how to cross staff on finale. Also, would cross-staffing in the beginning scales work too?

Oh, right, I totally forgot about the right hand. I mean, changing that to a whole note should be fine, right? And timing wise, I do feel that 6/4 w/ritudendo fits well.

I'll try.

I mean, I personally don't know how to feel about doing right handed melodies of sorts, especially complicated ones, in the left hand. You probably could tell from my previous decisions and/or what I've said. It probably is just me thinking of me over other people, but like, it feels a bit off still, if that makes sense. Also, how would the secondary melody come into play at m110, then?

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention that I can't do chord rolls between layers. Blame Allegro.

Khunjund

Cross-staff works with the Note Mover tool. If you don't have access to it, I could do it for you. What do you mean by the "beginning scales"?

Writing measure 69 in 6/4 might match the Finale playback to the original soundtrack better, but it looks out of place from a music theory perspective: here you have this rising motif that's repeated several times as four eighth notes, and then when there's a slight variation at the end, suddenly none of the notes have the same rhythmic notation.

Naturally, you'd drop the sixteenth-note motif for the last beat of every measure past 110 in order to play the countermelody, but it was just a suggestion anyway; do what you see fit.

Can you not even select the character for rolling chords, apply it to one note, and stretch it to cover both layers? Even if it doesn't work in the Finale playback, it's still necessary for the actual sheet.

I forgot to mention it in my last post, but in measure 97, the left hand upper part's rhythm is a double-dotted half note (or a half note tied to an eighth) followed by two sixteenths; and in measure 101, it's a double-dotted half note followed by a single eighth on C (there is no A).
Please stop making lists using hyphens.

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: D3ath3657 on April 06, 2018, 10:58:52 AMCross-staff works with the Note Mover tool. If you don't have access to it, I could do it for you. What do you mean by the "beginning scales"?

Writing measure 69 in 6/4 might match the Finale playback to the original soundtrack better, but it looks out of place from a music theory perspective: here you have this rising motif that's repeated several times as four eighth notes, and then when there's a slight variation at the end, suddenly none of the notes have the same rhythmic notation.

Naturally, you'd drop the sixteenth-note motif for the last beat of every measure past 110 in order to play the countermelody, but it was just a suggestion anyway; do what you see fit.

Can you not even select the character for rolling chords, apply it to one note, and stretch it to cover both layers? Even if it doesn't work in the Finale playback, it's still necessary for the actual sheet.

I forgot to mention it in my last post, but in measure 97, the left hand upper part's rhythm is a double-dotted half note (or a half note tied to an eighth) followed by two sixteenths; and in measure 101, it's a double-dotted half note followed by a single eighth on C (there is no A).
I don't have the note mover tool, I'm using Finale Allegro 2007. Also, I can't access later finale versions because of this. And I mean any one of the first few measures where the whole Amin maj7 scale (and other chords) are going across both hands.

I guess that 5/4 should work better then.

I rather keep the current left hand for m110+.

I can make it work for appearance, but not playback. (Edit: Never mind, somehow it worked)

I can make it tie with an eighth, but I don't believe I have access to double dotted notes.

PlayfulPiano

Haven't had much feedback for the past two weeks, but I've made a few quick changes.
-Added some text to mention how parts of the first few pages are only played on the second part (m27-m35 might be a bit unclear).
-Changed a note in m111 to make it less difficult / easier to play.

PlayfulPiano

Made a couple new changes since last update!
-Earlier measures now have two scales in the left hand instead of one, fits better with what you can audibly hear from the OST.
-Dynamics overhaul!
-Higher Octave section in m44 is now glissando'd.
-Finally figured something out for m108 onwards, think this will be good.

If there is any note spacing issues, blame allegro, I can't really do much about it. There might be a way to fix it in a later finale version, if the current sheets are ok to be submitted (as I won't be able to edit the sheets once they are saved as a newer finale version).

PlayfulPiano

Did some layer fixing that I saw, adding a little base and note changes based off of a cover of the arrangement that I feel fits well (although isn't in the original).

PlayfulPiano

Replacing with Temporal Spire, will deal with later.

Sebastian

Playful and I made some extensive edits to this sheet. The sheet is updated.

I approve

Latios212

Wow, this is one extensive sheet - nice job powering through this. The below looks like a lot, but they're all relatively small things; you guys did a really solid job overall! Here are some things I noticed:
- Parentheses around the bass notes in 9-17 aren't vertically aligned with the noteheads they're attached to.
- This, currently you have a rit. instead of a dim., and I agree with what D3ath said regarding the right hand pattern as well:
Quote from: D3ath3657 on March 31, 2018, 09:03:33 PMFor measures 44-51, the significant decrescendo is missing, and doubling the melody in octaves in addition to raising it by an octave works against said decrescendo. You also left out the E, as if to compensate, but I would personally just go back to a simple melody with the E pedal, like in measures 18-26.
Would suggest getting rid of the rit./a tempo unless that was intended for dramatic effect. Even so, though, "a tempo" shouldn't really be there since you're introducing a new tempo.
- Use of courtesy G naturals is inconsistent. In m. 20 you have Gnat in the right hand following a G# two measures before, but none in the left hand following the G# the measure directly before. In later places as well like m. 46 there aren't any at all even in the right hand. The sheet would be fine with or without the courtesy naturals, but please take another pass through the sheet to make sure your usage is consistent.
- Ab --> G# in m. 54-55. (Naturally, a courtesy natural could follow in the measure after.)
- Gb --> F# in m. 58-59.
- Right hand B in m. 59 should fall on beat 4.5, not 4.
- Courtesy E natural in 64?
- 8va should extend over the tied G# and fermata in m. 69.
- Flip beat 3 layer 2 downwards in 111 and 115.
- Courtesy E natural in m. 117 RH?
- Should have some direction to fade out at m. 117 the second time
- mf is touching the barline in 120
- Would recommend a tremolo between two notes alternating instead of implying that the performer pounds the octave repeatedly.
- Also, is there any reason this is written as A# instead of Bb?
- The ending - are we not including the last ten seconds of the song?
- Page number heights are inconsistent
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Sebastian

PlayfulPiano

Just noticed that some older changes aren't listed, idk what happened, but m27/m31 should have in the right hand a quarter note as the last beat (to not conflict with the following grace notes), and m67 should also have a rit.

I think that's it, but i'm gonna listen to the .mid to double check.

Edit: Did a double check, found the following problems:

• Beat 3 of m93 right hand should be an e5 quarter note.
  • m118+ notes for left hand are meant to be a whole step down, as in G#/Ab not A#/Bb.

Now that should be it.

Sebastian

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Sebastian.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot