News:

NinSheetMusic is 18 years old!

Main Menu

Little Known Music Facts

Started by SlowPokemon, February 27, 2018, 11:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yug_Guy

Yug Guy's Little Known Music Fact of the Day:

It's time to stop playing with the snare drum now.

...what do you mean, "Why?" Because it's a musical instrument, not a toy- oh for God's sake Jesse, please just stop banging on it

SlowPokemon

Little known music facts, part 4

-The Schumanns had a pet alligator named "Chompy."

-The reason Debussy's "Clair de lune" is so popular is because so many people are named Clair, De, and Lune.

-Extended harmonies, such as 9th chords, 13th chords, or 7th chords on stilts, were popular during the Impressionist period.

-Schubert is now widely believed to have been gay, with scholars pointing to his unpublished "No Homo" song cycle and the famous "How Many Times Do I Have To Tell You I'm Waiting To Meet The Right Girl, Mom" symphony as possible evidence.

-J.S. Bach was a robot and all of his children were robot children, the most famous being C.P.E. (Charging Precious Electricity) Bach, who also made a name for himself as a composer.

-Starting next academic year, all music schools will require undergraduates to go to an etiquette class detailing how they should deal with situations in which others say awkward or insensitive things such as "Would you be interested in accompanying for free?", "I don't really like post-Romantic music," "I can play John Cage's '4'33!' (laughs)," or "This music reminds me of Philip Glass."
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

this thread reminds me of philip glass soundcloud commentary
unmotivated

SlowPokemon

Little known music facts, special part 5 edition

Quick note! As you may recall, these originate from a series of Facebook posts that I do every week. Well, this was this week's, meaning that you guys will now be getting them one week at a time like the rest of the peasants. (And I can stop spamming this board every day.) Thanks for your kind words and please enjoy this special five-themed part 5 edition! From now on, installments will be posted every Tuesday.

-Schumann has a hidden fifth symphony known colloquially as the "Chompy Symphony," believed to have been written about Schumann's accidental killing and subsequent eating of the family alligator.

-Chopin actually has only five letters. Can you spot the fake?

-Franz Liszt, having five letters in both his first and last name, actually fulfilled an ancient prophecy by composing some of the world's first atonal pieces.

-Schoenberg settled on using all twelve pitches in an octave after a failed experiment in "five-tone serialism" and briefly believing he invented the pentatonic scale.

-Mozart's operas...actually, none of them are in five acts, but boy, it can sure seem that way, right?

SlowPokemon

Little known music facts, part 6

-Opera is not for the faint of heart, nor for the faint of attention span.

-Many argue about whether Beethoven was a Classic or Romantic composer, when in fact he was simply a weird composer.

-Paganini is not a name you expected to show up in one of these.

-Jazz music is just as intense, difficult, and important as classical music, and involves as much or more skill, according to some jazz player you know.

-Chopin is to piano music what Thomas Kinkade is to art.

mikey

Quote from: SlowPokemon on March 06, 2018, 11:35:07 AM-Jazz music is just as intense, difficult, and important as classical music, and involves as much or more skill, according to some jazz player you know.
:thonk:
unmotivated

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

SlowPokemon

What's not to love about little known music facts

SlowPokemon

Little known music facts, part 7

-Standing ovations, once considered a high honor and a sign of an audience greatly enjoying a performance, are now commonplace as audiences increasingly feel that they need to somehow participate in the event.

-Beethoven's metronome was altered to occasionally speak to the composer and even answer his questions, as an early prototype of Amazon's Alexa.

-Mozart is only enjoyable if it's played wrong.

-Brahms once hired a tax collector named Melvin to conduct the premiere of his third symphony, but plans fell through when Melvin turned out to be a Russian spy sent to steal the music and take credit for its composition.

-Your instrument once killed a man.

-Chompy, the pet alligator which Robert Schumann accidentally ran over and then ate in attempt to hide his guilt, is thought to have alligator descendants that to this day vow to utterly annihilate the remainder of the Schumann bloodline.

mikey

can you do this every day instead of every week

also you haven't changed your avatar in a while
unmotivated

LeviR.star

Quote from: SlowPokemon on April 08, 2018, 02:33:25 PM-Standing ovations, once considered a high honor and a sign of an audience greatly enjoying a performance, are now commonplace as audiences increasingly feel that they need to somehow participate in the event.

This is your most important fact so far.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

AmpharosAndy

yeah that one really pisses me off. everyone always standing up for everything why no plz stop innit
innit

E. Gadd Industries

"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Dudeman

Quote from: SlowPokemon on April 08, 2018, 02:33:25 PM-Chompy, the pet alligator which Robert Schumann accidentally ran over and then ate in attempt to hide his guilt, is thought to have alligator descendants that to this day vow to utterly annihilate the remainder of the Schumann bloodline.
I knew Chompers was acting a little strange lately...
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book