[DELETED] [MUL] Cuphead - "Don't Deal With The Devil (Instrumental)" by Th3Gavst3r

Started by Zeta, February 14, 2018, 04:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Cuphead
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Don't Deal With The Devil (Instrumental)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Th3Gavst3r

Th3Gavst3r

joeberryosponge

The piece seems well arranged! Here are some things I noticed.
  • More dynamic markings would help especially after crescendos and diminuendos such as mm. 16, 29, and 32.
  • The diminuendos in mm. 28 and 31 shouldn't cross the barline.
Other than that, it looks good to me.

Sebastian

Great arrangement!
Just a few things I have:
- Courtesy accidental on the Bb (RH) in M. 15 would be helpful.
- Courtesy natural on the A (LH) in M. 17 would be helpful.
- Courtesy natural on the F (LH) in M. 21 would be helpful.
- Courtesy accidental on the Eb (RH) in M. 5 & 30 would be helpful.
- Go ahead and straighten some of the dynamics out a bit to make them more symmetrical.
Pic to summarize my comments:
Spoiler
[close]

That's all I have for this one. Excellent work!

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Sebastian on February 14, 2018, 07:11:50 PM- Courtesy accidental on the Eb (RH) in M. 5 & 30 would be helpful.

I'm not sure which measure you meant when you said M. 5, but I've changed everything else!
Any reason you didn't use parenthesized courtesy accidentals in your example?

Latios212

Just popping in real quick - in measure 21 you have a G7 chord, so make that Cb a Bn.

And in measure 27 RH, it's best to clarify which A you're playing since the LH is playing Ab.

Also, if you're going for courtesy accidentals, there's a handful of other places they could be placed, like the LH of 5, 7, 14, 23, 30... not that you have to. Other places like measure 8 RH don't seem like they're needed at all. I guess my point is, find a level of pickiness you want in terms of where to put courtesy accidentals, and keep it consistent. I'm not saying you should take them out or keep them in, but I tend to err on the side of fewer courtesy accidentals to avoid clutter (particularly parentheses), and sometimes even confusion where a courtesy accidental is present on a note that would obviously be read as intended anyway. Keep in mind the player knows what the key signature is, and should automatically mentally reset accidentals at the beginning of each measure.

One handy thing you can do that I find helpful is try sight-reading the sheet with no courtesy accidentals at all, and then mark the places where you misread or do a double-take. That might help you determine which ones are clarifying and which ones just take up space.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Sebastian

I only asked him to place the courtesy accidentals that were clarifying for one previous measure (not two, three, etc.), which is common practice in published music. The only one measure difference ones I didn't ask to change are the ones that are on a new line since the performer's eye won't see it in a previous measure if it's on a new line. Also, the key signature is on the first measure of each line.

EDIT: Also, I found another mistake. The pickup measure shouldn't count as one measure. M. 1 comes after the pickup.

Latios212

Quote from: Sebastian on February 15, 2018, 12:33:06 PMI only asked him to place the courtesy accidentals that were clarifying for one previous measure (not two, three, etc.)
Yeah, I figured that was what you were going for. Was just pointing out that the sheet was inconsistent because you missed some places I mentioned above, like m. 23 when the Eb follows the En.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Sebastian

Archived for inactivity

Please resubmit this sheet when you are able. I really hope to see this one on the site!