[MUL] Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - "Bran-Son" by BrainyLucario

Started by Zeta, February 12, 2018, 07:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khunjund

I'm quite aware of jazz notation for chords, thank you. I meant that measure 14 is clearly a Cb major chord, with one line playing a Bb on the fourth beat for a CbMaj7 effect.

Edit: Also, while the G in measures 1-2 isn't strongly emphasized, it's still present, and I don't think simply leaving it out is justified.
Please stop making lists using hyphens.

Olimar12345

Quote from: D3ath3657 on March 19, 2018, 12:23:14 PMHow do you intend to do a crescendo on whole notes with a piano? Sure, you'll play the second one louder, but the effect won't be the same at all.

You shouldn't crescendo the introduction until measure three, since the firs two measures aren't building up gradually (You can even see this if you put it into audacity; the waves don't grow during this time). I would, however, suggest adding a tremolo on the F's in the LH (staying at piano though). That would give the intro some umph. Measure 3 also looks a whole lot better the way Maelstrom notated it; you can clearly see the figure and it isn't shrouded in half tremolos and being shared between hands etc. Addressing your points:

Quote from: D3ath3657 on March 19, 2018, 12:11:24 PM
  • In the opening measures, the violins clearly play a G second line, and it's impractical to try and convey the build up in the original with static whole notes, which is why I put in a tremolo.
  • For measures 4-10, I would stick with simple fifths for the accentuated beats, as opposed to fifths and octaves.
  • I don't see why the second layer in measures 14-15 would be an issue; just remove the left hand Bbs in measure 15.
  • I added the thirds to the triplet line to fill out the harmony, and they're not that hard to play. Though after listening to it another time, I think it's actually a sixteenth note line:
  • I don't know what you're talking about when you say measure 14 is an Ebm chord.

1. I'm with Maelstrom here. While there is a G, I think that for piano this arrangement works better if you leave it out. It makes things too ambiguous and you can't really pull it off well in this setting.
2. I agree.
3. I'm with Mael again here; I like it better without that part there, but if it were going to be added in I would prefer it be consistent throughout the section, not just coming and going as it pleases.
4. Strings are playing 16ths, drum's playing triplets. He must not have gotten the memo  :P
5. Yes, measure 14-15 is playing CbMaj7.

Additionally, I would recommend adding staccatos to the first three notes in measures 16-17. They're definitely detached there. I'd even put tenuto markings on the long notes to not only help distinguish them from the lighter notes, but to be consistent with how you notate that earlier in the sheet.

Here's Mael's edit with the intro adjusted like I mentioned; see if you like it:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qnf6molw7wn3es9/Bran-Son%20Mael12345.mus?dl=1
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

BrainyLucario

wow. what a barrage of feedback, I like olimar's intro suggestion the most so i'm updating the main file with that
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

Maelstrom

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Maelstrom.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot