News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

[Wii] Xenoblade Chronicles - "Hometown" by Maelstrom

Started by Zeta, February 11, 2018, 01:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Xenoblade Chronicles
Console: Nintendo Wii
Title: Hometown
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Maelstrom

[attachment deleted by admin]

Maelstrom

Khunjund

Sounds good, but is it really necessary to change key signatures? It's not like there's an actual modulation, and the piece already uses mode mixture extensively throughout, so I don't see the point of switching keys just for that VI-VII-I progression, even if it is eight measures long.
Please stop making lists using hyphens.

Maelstrom

It makes it easier to sight read, and that's what matters here.

Latios212

Thanks for being patient.

- m. 6 - tie the Gn over into beat 3. Same with m. 22 and 50.
- Is there a reason you don't have the top layer an octave lower in m. 23-24? Would also make the end of 24... playable. Same comment on m. 51-52.
- Would recommend removing the lower octave notes in the E/D in m. 29-30 similar to the second half of m. 30. The D clashes with the C# in the left hand.
- Not really sure if what I'm hearing for RH of m. 31 really matches up with what you have. Double check it?
- Fix misaligned RH notes on beats 3 and 4.5 in m. 38.
- Hearing B-C#-E-E-D for layer 2 in m. 43-44 - a third higher than you currently have it written.
- Any reason why no F below the A in m. 60 beat 2? Same with m. 64 beat 3.
- Try making the rolled chords full chords in m. 57-63. The section could use a bit more force in the beginning of those measures.

And stylistic feedback - for the most powerful section (m. 57+, ff) you could probably afford to add more force to the left hand. It's the same left hand part from the beginning of the song and it'd be nice to build it up a bit more. Lemme know if you want ideas.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

-It replays the note fite me irl
-Because it's not played an octave lower Yeah, that would help playability a bit. Changed.
-Sure, did it.
-Yep, that's what I still hear
-nice catch
-Yep, that sounds right. Thanks.
-Because that's totally not an F, but idk what note to fit in there instead, so it's a lonely note.
-Ehh, not really feeling it. I'd like to keep it close to the original here, and I think it works.

Quote from: Latios212 on March 29, 2018, 07:30:42 PMAnd stylistic feedback - for the most powerful section (m. 57+, ff) you could probably afford to add more force to the left hand. It's the same left hand part from the beginning of the song and it'd be nice to build it up a bit more. Lemme know if you want ideas.
I had no ideas, so that's why I kept it simple and clean

Latios212

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 29, 2018, 08:15:57 PM-It replays the note fite me irl
Not sure what you mean - did you misread what I said? I want the note held over into beat 3, instead of an eighth rest. Beat 3.5 is the re-strike.

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 29, 2018, 08:15:57 PM-Ehh, not really feeling it. I'd like to keep it close to the original here, and I think it works.
I brought this up because I hear the climax having denser harmonies and the octave with only one note in between sounds rather empty in comparison.

Rest of the stuff I'll respond to later.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Olimar12345

-I very clearly hear what Latios is mentioning about the lower F in measures 60 and 64. You can hear that voice moving; it doesn't sustain a G throughout or simply cut out for a beat. It moves in parallel motion.

-Why is the G natural in measure 6 (RH) not tied to beat three? (m. 22 and 50 as well). I don't hear a specific break in the note(s) in the recording.

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Maelstrom

Quote from: Latios212 on March 29, 2018, 08:25:15 PMNot sure what you mean - did you misread what I said? I want the note held over into beat 3, instead of an eighth rest. Beat 3.5 is the re-strike.
oh i cant read lol

Maelstrom

Quote from: Olimar12345 on March 29, 2018, 08:36:31 PM-I very clearly hear what Latios is mentioning about the lower F in measures 60 and 64. You can hear that voice moving; it doesn't sustain a G throughout or simply cut out for a beat. It moves in parallel motion.

-Why is the G natural in measure 6 (RH) not tied to beat three? (m. 22 and 50 as well). I don't hear a specific break in the note(s) in the recording.
Added the F. Tied the Gn to b3 but not b3.5 because the violin replays the note.

Files updated.

Latios212

Touched up a couple really tiny things as discussed over Discord.

Nice work, good to go!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot