News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

[Wii] Rhythm Heaven Fever - "Shrimp Shuffle" by WaluigiTime64

Started by Zeta, February 21, 2018, 10:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olimar12345

Quote from: Maelstrom on June 01, 2018, 09:25:56 AMJust so you know, the notes can still be quarters with staccatos. Or 8ths with staccatos. The main point is that staccatos and dotted notes don't mix. I had a good 30 minute discussion about this a while back and I can point you to some people who can discuss it better than I can if you want. (mainly latios and olimar)

Actually, to the contrary, I see no issue with having staccato markings on dotted notes. Note lengths =/= articulation. Likewise, a staccato dotted quarter note isn't the same as a quarter note and an eighth rest. I haven't looked at the sheet yet, so I don't know which would be more appropriate here, I just stopped by do say that.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Olimar12345 on June 01, 2018, 09:49:33 AMNote lengths =/= articulation. Likewise, a staccato dotted quarter note isn't the same as a quarter note and an eighth rest.
I've always thought this too.

For reference, here is the sheet with the dotted notes + staccatos.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Latios212

While I'm really not a fan of notes that are both augmented and staccato'd in general because I personally find them ambiguous (and unsightly), I think they're alright to use in compound time when the time unit of the beat is a dotted note, to keep things simple in a similar vein to how you'd write staccato'd quarters in 4/4. I'd say it's alright to change it back if you like.

As a side note, using an eighth note + quarter rest for one beat looks somewhat confusing, since a series of alternating quarter rests and eighth notes may be easy to confuse with a pattern of quarter rest + eighth note on each beat. A figure like this one would be better written as a staccato'd quarter + eighth rest, or eighth note + two eighth rests.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Olimar12345

What's so ambiguous? It's just telling the performer to detach the note from the next note with a slight lift; staccatos don't alter the note length by changing it to the next value down or something. Would you find a eighth note with a tenuto mark odd in the same way? (Oh shouldn't!)

And quarter notes followed by eighth rests are not unusual to triple meter in the slightest. Look up any march in 6/8. Hell, you might even find examples of both in the same piece!
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Olimar12345 on June 02, 2018, 11:57:47 AMAnd quarter notes followed by eighth rests are not unusual to triple meter in the slightest. Look up any march in 6/8. Hell, you might even find examples of both in the same piece!

Quarter notes followed by eighth rests aren't unusual but eighth notes followed by quarter rests are
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Olimar12345

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 02, 2018, 12:23:49 PMQuarter notes followed by eighth rests aren't unusual but eighth notes followed by quarter rests are

Oh I misread that. Yes, they should be broken down into eighth rests

WaluigiTime64

welp this was good for reaffirming my knowledge

I've always thought that dotted notes with staccatos were acceptable in compound time specifically. I would not put that in a simple time piece. Latios just actually bothered to explain it fully (thanks man!). I was struggling quite a bit trying to explain my own thoughts in my head, that I never posted about it, hehe.

Also because I find both the 8th + quarter rest, and the quarter + 8th rest set up confusing (I tried both, and they're definitely not appropriate for this piece, especially if you know the minigame), I'm just going to avoid it altogether, and so the files are updated as how they originally were.
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Maelstrom

Latios212

A few last quick things from me.
- What do you think of the LH part going from m. 10 to m. 11 (and similar places)? The low notes want to resolve to the D above the C#, but it jumps up.
- Copyright info is quite close to the bottom of the page.
- Staccato on wrong side of note in m. 20
- Would suggest removing the lower F# at the beginning of m. 32.
- Not really a fan of the gliss at the end of m. 32, but here it's pretty simple to interpret what to do so it's alright I guess.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Latios212 on June 02, 2018, 05:19:30 PM- What do you think of the LH part going from m. 10 to m. 11 (and similar places)? The low notes want to resolve to the D above the C#, but it jumps up.
This is a very good point, but I'm not quite sure what to do with it myself. Adding the lower D without removing the higher one make it difficult to play, while removing the top D screws up the other three notes, and moving them all down sounds a bit too bassy for my liking.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 02, 2018, 05:19:30 PM- Copyright info is quite close to the bottom of the page.
Are you sure? I've had the copyright text moved up a bit like that in another sheet but I was told to lower it down to where it is about now. (Doesn't seem very close on the pdf either...)

Quote from: Latios212 on June 02, 2018, 05:19:30 PM- Staccato on wrong side of note in m. 20
- Would suggest removing the lower F# at the beginning of m. 32.
Oops, and good idea. Thanks.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 02, 2018, 05:19:30 PM- Not really a fan of the gliss at the end of m. 32, but here it's pretty simple to interpret what to do so it's alright I guess.
It's a bit weird, yeah.

Fixed with those edits.

Latios212

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on June 02, 2018, 05:48:02 PMThis is a very good point, but I'm not quite sure what to do with it myself. Adding the lower D without removing the higher one make it difficult to play, while removing the top D screws up the other three notes, and moving them all down sounds a bit too bassy for my liking.
Just wanted to raise a concern, I don't think it's a super critical thing to change. Would like to have someone else ok it first though.

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on June 02, 2018, 05:48:02 PMAre you sure? I've had the copyright text moved up a bit like that in another sheet but I was told to lower it down to where it is about now. (Doesn't seem very close on the pdf either...)
This is a regional thing. Some (most? all?) non-US regions use a different paper size or margins when exporting. So it looks fine in your PDF, but it looks narrow in my Finale and if I export it. Ben can speak to this better than I can, since he actually deals with that for work. Anyway, it's fine for now. We might want to have a discussion about this at a later time, though.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Sebastian

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Sebastian.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot