Series: Dragon Quest
Game: Dragon Quest
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Overture
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Yug Guy

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yug_Guy

I'm 99% sure the one on-site used the live orchestra version of this song that came out shortly after the game itself, which doesn't fly 'round these parts.

Zeila

It sounds great, but just a few small things:

- There's a typo in the url
- Composer/arranger info isn't right aligned
- All of the dotted quarter notes in the opening fanfare part should be a quarter note + eighth note rest. Also, the tied note at the end of it should be a regular half note + quarter rest
- The parts where you put two eighth notes in the LH (m15, 18, and 21) are very slight and only noticeable when you slow it down (at least to me), so it might be better to just leave those as quarter notes. Otherwise, you should slur them
- m16 b4 missing A's on the higher octave (RH)
- Penultimate measure, beat 3 (LH) should be a Bb instead of A

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Zeila on September 25, 2017, 08:38:49 PM- There's a typo in the url
- Composer/arranger info isn't right aligned
- All of the dotted quarter notes in the opening fanfare part should be a quarter note + eighth note rest. Also, the tied note at the end of it should be a regular half note + quarter rest
- The parts where you put two eighth notes in the LH (m15, 18, and 21) are very slight and only noticeable when you slow it down (at least to me), so it might be better to just leave those as quarter notes. Otherwise, you should slur them
- m16 b4 missing A's on the higher octave (RH)
- Penultimate measure, beat 3 (LH) should be a Bb instead of A
Fixed

Latios212

That first part sounds like it'd be better as 6/8 instead of really fast 3/4.

Ow, measure 14 in the original hurts my ears. >_<

Not really sure where you're getting those slurred LH eighth notes from? 15 sounds like a quarter F, 18 D, and 21 E.

I don't think the courtesy accidentals are necessary anywhere, but that's just my opinion. I think that's all I have to say for now; everything else looks good, though I might be back with another comment or two on the layout of the intro later.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Latios212 on September 26, 2017, 07:23:11 PMNot really sure where you're getting those slurred LH eighth notes from? 15 sounds like a quarter F, 18 D, and 21 E.
Yeah, so it turns out those eighth notes can only be heard if you put it on half speed. Weird. I changed those to quarters to better match the original.

Quote from: Latios212 on September 26, 2017, 07:23:11 PMThat first part sounds like it'd be better as 6/8 instead of really fast 3/4.
I dunno man, I've heard some pieces that sound a lot like 6/8, but are really just a fast 3/4. (but hey, what do I know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Quote from: Latios212 on September 26, 2017, 07:23:11 PMI don't think the courtesy accidentals are necessary anywhere, but that's just my opinion.
I mean, I really only put them in there because other people have told me to in the past, so...

Latios212

Quote from: Yug_Guy on September 26, 2017, 08:50:11 PMYeah, so it turns out those eighth notes can only be heard if you put it on half speed. Weird. I changed those to quarters to better match the original.
Really? I didn't hear them at all when listening at half speed, maybe I'll check again later.

Quote from: Yug_Guy on September 26, 2017, 08:50:11 PMI dunno man, I've heard some pieces that sound a lot like 6/8, but are really just a fast 3/4. (but hey, what do I know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )
Well, it's a case by case thing. Here I would recommend against the 3/4 because the tempo drops like a rock in m. 12.

Quote from: Yug_Guy on September 26, 2017, 08:50:11 PMI mean, I really only put them in there because other people have told me to in the past, so...
There's a difference between helpful clarity and redundancy. The key signature dictates what notes are flatted here, so it's already implied that m. 20 has a Bb. Though m. 24 comes right after a measure with Bnats, it's a new system and these notes come directly after the key signature. I don't see much need for either (especially the LH which had a Bnat in a different octave before). But then again, that's just my opinion on the matter. Your sheet, and courtesy accidentals are perfectly valid here.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

FireArrow

I arranged this song some time ago for shits and giggles (although it's a very slighty different version?) but yeah. Opening section is 6/8, tempo through out the entire piece is dotted quarter 80 or quarter 120. All your notes are correct. If you want, you could probably format it to look a bit nicer. I personally did 2 systems of 3 measures, 3 systems of 4, and one 5 all at 80% zoom. Do whatever you thinks looks best though, even if that's what you have now.

Also your triumphantly can just go at the beginning of the piece. The into doesn't really have a different mood than the body and it's kind of awkward to have text there but not at the beginning.
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Yug_Guy

Quote from: FireArrow on September 27, 2017, 12:25:56 AMOpening section is 6/8, tempo through out the entire piece is dotted quarter 80 or quarter 120. All your notes are correct. If you want, you could probably format it to look a bit nicer. I personally did 2 systems of 3 measures, 3 systems of 4, and one 5 all at 80% zoom. Do whatever you thinks looks best though, even if that's what you have now.
Thanks for the corroboration - Opening section changed to 6/8, and the systems have been changed to accommodate the change.

Quote from: FireArrow on September 27, 2017, 12:25:56 AMAlso your triumphantly can just go at the beginning of the piece. The into doesn't really have a different mood than the body and it's kind of awkward to have text there but not at the beginning.
The "Triumphantly" was originally used to differentiate the 4/4 section from the "In One" 3/4 section. But now since it's in 6/8, I don't have to worry about that anymore, so I put the "Triumphantly" at the beginning like you suggested.

Latios212

Watch the tempo marking - for 6/8 it should use a dotted quarter.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Latios212 on September 27, 2017, 04:15:40 PMWatch the tempo marking - for 6/8 it should use a dotted quarter.
But it's for the entire piece, including the 4/4 section. Would you rather I have two different tempo markings, one dotted quarter & one quarter, even though they are technically the same tempo?

Maelstrom

Yug_Guy

Latios212

Last quick thing about the tempo: an (eighth = eighth) would be good along with the switch to 120 to indicate that the speed of the piece isn't changing in that regard.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Latios212 on September 27, 2017, 07:49:16 PMLast quick thing about the tempo: an (eighth = eighth) would be good along with the switch to 120 to indicate that the speed of the piece isn't changing in that regard.
Done