News:

NinSheetMusic is 18 years old!

Main Menu

the piano help thread! :D

Started by daj, August 11, 2017, 11:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swimswamit

Wow, that sounds much worse than I expected o.o, I guess I'll go with the song of healing next then. Thanks daj!

InsigTurtle

Okie, so this will be a classical (post-romantic actually) question. I know daj doesn't like Rach, but, anyway:

http://imgur.com/a/xa3qo

(étude-tableau op.39 no.7)

This part is perhaps the easiest part of the entire piece, which... ain't fun. But, this part gives me trouble in particular because of the awkward chords. Any alternate fingerings would be appreciated, since the ones I've found mean I can't hold the tied notes or do the legato properly.

daj

Quote from: InsigTurtle on August 20, 2017, 09:22:19 PMOkie, so this will be a classical (post-romantic actually) question. I know daj doesn't like Rach, but, anyway:

Hehe, I'm happy you brought it up on this thread Insig! ^^ While it is true that I don't really like Rach (guys, bigger might not mean better), and i haven't played this piece, from the Rach stuff I've done and studied I think I can give a decent answer :)

I don't think I'll ever even dare to attempt this etude though, and honestly on the high-level classical side I'm not that amazing - so do take this as a suggestion and nothing more :p

QuoteThis part is perhaps the easiest part of the entire piece, which... ain't fun. But, this part gives me trouble in particular because of the awkward chords. Any alternate fingerings would be appreciated, since the ones I've found mean I can't hold the tied notes or do the legato properly.

I thought about it for a bit, and here's what I have:
RH: 2/5 - 1/3 - 1/2/3/5, tied 3
LH: 5/1 - 2 - 5/3/2/1, tied 2

Rach probably didn't have the reach to hit octaves with 1/3 or 3/5, but he does suggest single-finger turns (i.e. no wristing) to hit weird stretches in some figurations like this one. The G minor prelude is full of those, and it's bloody annoying xD

With this fingering, you can use finger turns for full legato for every note except the bottom note of the right-hand chord across the bar. This is a semitone snap-motion from a white key to a black key, which is quite hard to execute (vertical wrist-flick, pivot on the tied note), but probably easier than the alternatives, especially if you want the legato ^^

As an aside, most of us mortals with normal-or-less sized hands cannot do a finger turn from an octave without some wristing - this is for the left hand part. So the focus should be restoring the hand's position for the full chord as soon as possible, after being left in a weird position from twisting over from 1/5 to 2.

...hope this makes sense, really hope it works. All the best! :)

swimswamit

Hey daj, do you have any recommendations for something from Diamond and Pearl?

Trasdegi

there is the dppt pokémon league in his easy piano playist iirc

swimswamit

Oh yes, already played that one though, guess that's probably the only easy one.

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

swimswamit

braix

seen and tried are different things
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

swimswamit

Quote from: braixen1264 on August 26, 2017, 05:49:55 AMseen and tried are different things
:p you have much more confidence in me than I do, i'll try playing them, route 209 is one of my favorites. Thanks braixen.

daj

Quote from: braixen1264 on August 25, 2017, 11:22:14 PMEver tried some of daj's sheets? ;p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfH-Yiby-dM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q0zfeJsANY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSrl3PJq6W0

ahaha braix you're the best! <3 and i do like to believe sheets are generally easier to play than they look ;)

Anyway! If you asked me to suggest my DPPt stuff, I'd more or less suggest these. As you said yourself, they're not easy per se, but they are the most reduced form of those tracks I could think of. Just some extra pointers and technical shortcuts:

~

Snowpoint City:
What the sheet hides is that you need to pedal quite well to make the music kinda-work, and there's a bit of challenging inner-voicing. I'd rank this around the top of the most musically challenging of my sheets, actually.

That said, it's not that tough to play the notes at a comfortable tempo. So if you'd like to learn this, it'll be one of those sheets you might revisit after some time, once you've acquired more musical skills ^^

~

Route 209:
This is my personal favourite sheet that I did. Not even going to lie here. And if you're learning this, there's lots of resources ready to help you (sheet music video, live cover with score, an album recording)! ^^

What makes this sheet tough is that there are LOTS of moderate-difficulty technical elements to learn. Left-hand double-voicing, staccato chords, some weird counting shenanigans too. But on the whole, it's not that tough - it'll just take some time to learn. So if you're willing to commit to this, firstly I'll be humbled and love you so much, and secondly I've actually helped a bunch of people through this sheet, so I know how to teach/guide the technical bits quite well - you'll be well-armed with guidance, but you'll need to put in a bit of effort~

~

Canalave City:
Pedalling in this sheet is a little tough, but for the first section, playing the notes shouldn't be too big of a challenge :)

The second section, though, is one of the parts I spent the most time working through when I was recording this track for the album. I like to think that you can feel the rhythms once you count it a few times, but it gets hard to count at times. I suppose you could play the rhythm quite freely and cut the right hand notes to only the top line though - that should make things easier ^^

If you do a sheet of mine, feel free to ask for technical advice - I've played through all of them, so I think I can help a little more than usual if you're stuck :)

That said! I think DPPt, while it is beautiful and deep as hell, it is also one of the most unfriendly soundtracks for both arrangers and performers. Very few pieces aren't rhythmically complex (thus the League theme stands out beautifully <3), so as a pianist you might find it tough to get easy-ish DPPt arrangements - I've tried my best on my channel ahaha~

I'd like to also suggest some other DPPt arrangements that I've tried! ^^ These are quite tough, but maybe they're in a style that I found tough and you might find easier. On NSM we have:

"Route 201", arr. Latios212
I found it hard to play the notes, but I have tiny hands. If tenths aren't too much of a stretchfor you, this should be okay :)

"Decisive Battle (Pokemon League), arr. Zeila
I'm not sure if this one's on-site yet, but it is bloody fun to play and not too tough if you bring down the tempo a little or cut the octaves to single notes (just hit harder, choose the bass notes xD).

"Spear Pillar", forgot who arranged this xD
In the same vein as Decisive Battle, except it's really quite learnable, pretty fun if you get into the whole destroying-the-world feel.

"Floaroma Town", arr. Dr Pamplemouse
This one kinda pushes it. It's not exactly easy, I suppose, and it has five flats, so unless you're familiar with D-flat major it might be hard to learn. I think it's one of those old sheets too?

Hope this helps, all the best :)

swimswamit

Quote from: daj on August 26, 2017, 07:36:26 AMahaha braix you're the best! <3 and i do like to believe sheets are generally easier to play than they look ;)

Anyway! If you asked me to suggest my DPPt stuff, I'd more or less suggest these. As you said yourself, they're not easy per se, but they are the most reduced form of those tracks I could think of. Just some extra pointers and technical shortcuts:

~

Snowpoint City:
What the sheet hides is that you need to pedal quite well to make the music kinda-work, and there's a bit of challenging inner-voicing. I'd rank this around the top of the most musically challenging of my sheets, actually.

That said, it's not that tough to play the notes at a comfortable tempo. So if you'd like to learn this, it'll be one of those sheets you might revisit after some time, once you've acquired more musical skills ^^

~

Route 209:
This is my personal favourite sheet that I did. Not even going to lie here. And if you're learning this, there's lots of resources ready to help you (sheet music video, live cover with score, an album recording)! ^^

What makes this sheet tough is that there are LOTS of moderate-difficulty technical elements to learn. Left-hand double-voicing, staccato chords, some weird counting shenanigans too. But on the whole, it's not that tough - it'll just take some time to learn. So if you're willing to commit to this, firstly I'll be humbled and love you so much, and secondly I've actually helped a bunch of people through this sheet, so I know how to teach/guide the technical bits quite well - you'll be well-armed with guidance, but you'll need to put in a bit of effort~

~

Canalave City:
Pedalling in this sheet is a little tough, but for the first section, playing the notes shouldn't be too big of a challenge :)

The second section, though, is one of the parts I spent the most time working through when I was recording this track for the album. I like to think that you can feel the rhythms once you count it a few times, but it gets hard to count at times. I suppose you could play the rhythm quite freely and cut the right hand notes to only the top line though - that should make things easier ^^

If you do a sheet of mine, feel free to ask for technical advice - I've played through all of them, so I think I can help a little more than usual if you're stuck :)

That said! I think DPPt, while it is beautiful and deep as hell, it is also one of the most unfriendly soundtracks for both arrangers and performers. Very few pieces aren't rhythmically complex (thus the League theme stands out beautifully <3), so as a pianist you might find it tough to get easy-ish DPPt arrangements - I've tried my best on my channel ahaha~

I'd like to also suggest some other DPPt arrangements that I've tried! ^^ These are quite tough, but maybe they're in a style that I found tough and you might find easier. On NSM we have:

"Route 201", arr. Latios212
I found it hard to play the notes, but I have tiny hands. If tenths aren't too much of a stretchfor you, this should be okay :)

"Decisive Battle (Pokemon League), arr. Zeila
I'm not sure if this one's on-site yet, but it is bloody fun to play and not too tough if you bring down the tempo a little or cut the octaves to single notes (just hit harder, choose the bass notes xD).

"Spear Pillar", forgot who arranged this xD
In the same vein as Decisive Battle, except it's really quite learnable, pretty fun if you get into the whole destroying-the-world feel.

"Floaroma Town", arr. Dr Pamplemouse
This one kinda pushes it. It's not exactly easy, I suppose, and it has five flats, so unless you're familiar with D-flat major it might be hard to learn. I think it's one of those old sheets too?

Hope this helps, all the best :)

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much daj! I won't ask for recommendations anymore till i've learned all these great ones you've thrown out, this is fantastic.

D&P was a game I really grew up with and it's the entire reason I started piano in the first place and since summer's over i'll be able to start up piano lessons with my teacher again and really start making some progress. I've always liked your sheets but were always intimidated by ithem, but if I sit down and really work at it I think I'll be able to make some good progress on them. Thanks for the long answer, I really appreciate all the help you've been giving!

Latios212

Please don't go near the on site version of Floaroma Town D: everything is wrong with it

I have a completed sheet of it but it's definitely not easy to read and play
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

braix

I think a lot of things you might think are impossible for you can probably just be done by putting in enough practice; whatever it is you want to learn, I'd say try giving it a few practice sessions before deciding whether it's impossible or not
Besides, if you're too scared to play anything besides things that you're confident are in your skill level, you might not make it very far.

swimswamit

Quote from: braixen1264 on August 26, 2017, 06:25:34 PMI think a lot of things you might think are impossible for you can probably just be done by putting in enough practice; whatever it is you want to learn, I'd say try giving it a few practice sessions before deciding whether it's impossible or not
Besides, if you're too scared to play anything besides things that you're confident are in your skill level, you might not make it very far.
That's true, thank you. Only way to succeed is to go forward I guess, so I'll pick up some more challenging stuff :)