NinSheetMusic Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: BDS Presents You With Unsolicited Musical Opinions!  (Read 527 times)

BlackDragonSlayer

• Nintendo Nocturne
  • All Gather 'Round the Christmas Feast
    • View Profile
Re: BDS Presents You With Unsolicited Musical Opinions!
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 05:24:47 AM »

Electric Warrior by T. Rex

Electric Warrior is the second studio album by the band T. Rex (in their incarnation under that name), released in 1971. I'm a couple days late from when I wanted to do this, but hey, better late than never, right?

The album is one of the most notable of the glam rock genre, which started around the year this album was released and continued to have prominence throughout the mid 1970's. This particular album, though it sometimes verges on the more mellow side of glam rock (particularly due to singer Marc Bolan's somewhat soothing, relaxed voice), is definitely a strong example of the genre and a great starting point if you want to listen to some more 70s music.

I don't actually have much else to say about the album, so I'll keep this review fairly brief. This is definitely an album you should listen, or at least check out a song or two from; of the songs, "Mambo Sun," "Bang a Gong (Get It On)," and "Life's a Gas" are probably the three I'd recommend most from the album, though from the rest, it's hard to pick favorites! "The Motivator" is probably the worst song of the album, if only because it's pretty much a not-as-good version of another T. Rex song "Hot Love," one that's included on the bonus tracks for one of the reissues of the album.

Track List Overview:
Side one
1. "Mambo Sun" - 3:40
2. "Cosmic Dancer" - 4:30
3. Jeepster" - 4:12
4. "Monolith" - 3:49
5. "Lean Woman Blues" - 3:02

Side two
6. "Bang a Gong (Get It On)" - 4:27
7. "Planet Queen" - 3:13
8. "Girl" - 2:32
9. "The Motivator" - 4:00
10. "Life's a Gas" - 2:24
11. "Rip Off" - 3:40
Total Length: 39:02
Track listing information from here.

Tracks in Platinum are the one I consider to be the absolute best of the album.
Tracks in Gold are ones I consider to be among the artist's best.
Tracks in Red are ones I consider to be standout tracks on the album.

Consistency: 8/10
Though not as "out there" as other examples from the glam rock genre, the album sets its style well.

Quality: 9/10
Though this album doesn't contain all their best hits (the bonus tracks—not included here—go a long way by adding "Hot Love," which is a great song), it's still very solid overall.

Overall Rating: 9.2/10
Among the most notable albums of 1971, Electric Warrior definitely gets a strong recommendation from me. If you're interested in the glam rock movement—which you should be—this is definitely the album to listen to.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Nornova Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 22 queries.