News:

NinSheetMusic is 1264 years old!

Main Menu

The NSM Ultimate Ranking Topic

Started by BlackDragonSlayer, August 03, 2017, 09:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

People still care about the 2D Mario games?
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Maelstrom

Dudeman

Putting Mario World that low is definitely an interesting decision.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

SlowPokemon

Quote from: Dudeman on August 24, 2017, 02:43:43 PMPutting Mario World that low is definitely an interesting decision.

There's a big gap between Mario Bros. 2 and the rest below it.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

mikey

unmotivated

LeviR.star

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 24, 2017, 01:57:26 PMFor my next magic trick, I'll incite major arguments by providing the best 2D Super Mario Bros. games with no context

1. New Super Mario Bros. U
2. New Super Luigi U
3. Super Mario Bros. 3
4. New Super Mario Bros.
5. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
6. Super Mario World
7. Super Mario Bros. 2
8. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
9. Super Mario Bros.
10. New Super Mario Bros. 2

I agree, mostly, but I would personally move NSMB2 up past SMB2, switch NSMB with NSMBW, and move NSLU below SMB3.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Static

In terms of level design/interesting gameplay/complexity, I'd probably order my top 3 like so:

1. Super Mario World
2. Super Mario Bros. 3
3. New Super Luigi U (While I still don't understand this game's existence, I think it does a really nice job of actually switching up the tired out NSMB-style gameplay with some actually interesting levels. I just wish there was more of it.)

The rest of the Mario games are really similar to me in terms of overall quality. However, Lost Levels would definitely be at the bottom because many of its design choices are unfair (invisible blocks, backwards warp zones, etc.), especially to people who haven't played the game before or don't know anything about it. The rest of the game is just bland to me. Even the original SMB, while I still don't think it holds up as well as SMB3 or SMW, has much tighter level design overall. I love difficult games, but not when it's just tedious trial-and-error stuff.

To be fair, even Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3 have a few levels in that tedious/unfair category (Valley of Bowser 2 & Tubular, to name a few).

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Static on August 24, 2017, 05:34:56 PM3. New Super Luigi U (While I still don't understand this game's existence, I think it does a really nice job of actually switching up the tired out NSMB-style gameplay with some actually interesting levels. I just wish there was more of it.)

Yes

I approve

Quote from: Static on August 24, 2017, 05:34:56 PMTubular

T R I G G E R E D
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

SlowPokemon

NSMBU suffers from a bad opening few worlds, but ohhhh man it becomes so much fun, and surprisingly challenging for a Mario game. And New Super Luigi U is like an ultra fun challenge mode that's even more insanely hard. I 100%ed both and had a great time doing it.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Static

The reason why I prefer Super Mario World (and to a lesser extent, SMB3) over every other 2D Mario game is not the sheer amount of challenge they offered, but rather the creativity, nuance, variety, and depth put in to almost every level in these games.

While NSMBU certainly has tight level design (there's only a small handful of 2D Mario games that have mainly incoherent or unfair level design), almost everything in it has been done before to the same extent, if not better, in earlier titles (even earlier NSMB games). While I guess you could think of NSMBU as a refined version of the previous NSMB games, and I wholeheartedly agree that it's a fun game, it lacks the heart and memorability of games like SMW.

mikey

every single Mario game ever is more or less the exact same thing

except for Sunshine and Galaxy
unmotivated

LeviR.star

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 26, 2017, 04:10:52 PMevery single Mario game ever is more or less the exact same thing

except for Sunshine and Galaxy

Well, I wouldn't say that...
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

mastersuperfan

What you can say is that every NSMB game except for New Super Luigi U is actually the exact the same thing

LeviR.star

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 26, 2017, 04:46:05 PMWhat you can say is that every NSMB game except for New Super Luigi U is actually the exact the same thing

What has msf got against 2D Mario?

mastersuperfan

I have nothing against it, I'm only stating the facts for what they are