NSM Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Interested in contributing to the site? Give the Arrangement Formatting Guidelines a good read!

Author Topic: [SWITCH] Splatoon 2 - "Now or Never!" by Tangy  (Read 93 times)

Zeta

• NSM Bot
  • Nintendo Nocturne
    • View Profile
[SWITCH] Splatoon 2 - "Now or Never!" by Tangy
« on: July 26, 2017, 02:58:21 AM »

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Splatoon 2
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: Now or Never!
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Tangy
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:33:34 AM by Tangy »

Tangy

• Cheep Cheep Chorus
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: [SWITCH] Splatoon 2 - "Now or Never!" by Tangy
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 03:01:51 AM »

Hey, thanks LeviR.star for the formatting feedback. Honestly I figured I'd just wait for some critique on the arrangement before tackling the formatting errors and I must have totally forgotten. Then playing Splatoon 2 this weekend I had a "huh, I totally arranged this for piano, didn't I...?" moment. Anyways, here is submission attempt #2!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 12:47:04 AM by Tangy »

Zeila

• Metroid March
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 08:59:44 AM »

Not bad, but it still requires quite a bit of work

Formatting:
- Personally, I would lower all of the systems and move the composer/arranger info down a little (if you're able to)
- Maybe you should specify that it plays during the last minute remaining
- You should generally show beat 3 in 4/4 instead of having dotted quarter notes that go past it (also in m15 put the eighth note before the half note); to add onto that, in spots like m11, the quarter note really sounds like an eighth note anyways
- Add some slurs to the grace notes

Note stuff:
- You could add a lower B in m2 b4
- m3/4 are thirds, not fifths. And the C should be natural instead of sharp
- Check the bassline again for incorrect notes/rhythms. For example, m6 b3.5 (and others) should be an Eb, and it should be a quarter and eighth note instead of a single dotted quarter note; Also, consider lowering it down an octave for everything but the power chords (or even including those)
- There are some notes that would benefit from adding staccatos (like m23 beat 1 in LH)
- Put the guitar part from m20-21 in the RH and write out the bass part for the LH
- Raise m22-23 up an octave (LH), or just add an octave above it altogether since both the guitar and bass are playing; Also the chord is wrong (it should be F-A-C and maybe another F on top)
- I think you can just put a 6/4 measure instead of 2/4 and 4/4; also, both the RH and LH parts have errors in that section
- It makes much more sense to put a rit. on beat 3 of the penultimate measure and have the last note on beat 1 instead of beat 1.25

Just listen through it again and make note of the articulation, and note lengths too

Tangy

• Cheep Cheep Chorus
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 12:52:41 AM »

Thanks so much for the feedback. I don't think I'm quite there yet, but we’ve definitely made progress. Apologies if I misunderstood anything, my music theory is rusty at best:

Formatting:
- Personally, I would lower all of the systems and move the composer/arranger info down a little (if you're able to) Does this look ok? I agree it was crowded before.
- Maybe you should specify that it plays during the last minute remaining I added a subtitle under the title and above the game name. (Alternatively, that could make a cute tempo mark.)
- You should generally show beat 3 in 4/4 instead of having dotted quarter notes that go past it (also in m15 put the eighth note before the half note); Okay I gotcha, changed it. to add onto that, in spots like m11, the quarter note really sounds like an eighth note anyways You're right, I fixed this
- Add some slurs to the grace notes Okay, done. After messing around with the arrangement on an actual piano, I changed the grace notes to G-D-G; liked the sound of that better to represent the effect

Note stuff:
- You could add a lower B in m2 b4 Oh yeah, I can hear that now. Added
- m3/4 are thirds, not fifths. Ok, changed this And the C should be natural instead of sharp This goes away with it being thirds anyways
- Check the bassline again for incorrect notes/rhythms. I listened to the best of my ability but I’m really bad at hearing the base line. I changed m. 18-19 to F and G respectively, I definitely hear something different there. For example, m6 b3.5 (and others) should be an Eb, and it should be a quarter and eighth note instead of a single dotted quarter note; Okay, I changed this Also, consider lowering it down an octave for everything but the power chords (or even including those) Yeah, that Eb sounds better down an octave for sure.
- There are some notes that would benefit from adding staccatos (like m23 beat 1 in LH) I listened again and added staccatos and slurs where I heard them
- Put the guitar part from m20-21 in the RH and write out the bass part for the LH I uh… I tried and I’m sorry for what came out. Similarly edited m. 16-17. I tried listening to remixes and such as well and I can hear an F… but it just sounds wrong on piano? idk? If anyone could help with this I’d really appreciate it!!
- Raise m22-23 up an octave (LH), or just add an octave above it altogether since both the guitar and bass are playing; Did the latter Also the chord is wrong (it should be F-A-C and maybe another F on top) Okay, I think
- I think you can just put a 6/4 measure instead of 2/4 and 4/4; also, both the RH and LH parts have errors in that section Alright – could you elaborate on errors? I spent honestly so long on that section and in the end didn’t think I quite got it
- It makes much more sense to put a rit. on beat 3 of the penultimate measure and have the last note on beat 1 instead of beat 1.25 I tried, looked weird, sounded weird. I replaced with a triplet – does that make sense…?

As a side note, I updated the YouTube link with better audio.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 23 queries.