News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

[Wii] New Super Mario Bros. Wii - "Desert Theme" by AmpharosAndy

Started by Zeta, June 15, 2017, 02:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Console: Nintendo Wii
Title: Desert Theme
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: AmpharosAndy

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sebastian

Quote from: Sebastian on June 16, 2017, 08:38:25 AMOoo, yes. I'm so gonna check this out. Too bad I'm working 52 hours this week or I'd check it out sooner xD

Zeila

This is pretty good! A few small things

- Forward repeat bar is unnecessary
- You're missing a tempo marking
- m3+ I think the first eighth note on beats 2 and 4 for the bass pattern should be rests. I also suggest putting staccatos on some of the eighth notes. The pattern is slightly different too, but idk if you intentionally simplified it
Spoiler

Here's what it sounds like to me for m3 & 4. The rest of it should still look similar to that
[close]
- m5, 9, 21 If you want to get really nitpicky, I think the half note should be a dotted quarter note
- m13 beat 3 (LH) note should be a dotted eighth note for consistency (although that was probably a copying error)
- m22 I think you should put a lower dynamic marking starting at the last two sixteenth notes
- m23 half note should be a quarter note

AmpharosAndy

Quote from: Zeila on June 18, 2017, 12:02:01 AM- You're missing a tempo marking
Idk why that disappeared.

Quote from: Zeila on June 18, 2017, 12:02:01 AM- m3+ I think the first eighth note on beats 2 and 4 for the bass pattern should be rests. I also suggest putting staccatos on some of the eighth notes. The pattern is slightly different too, but idk if you intentionally simplified it
That's originally what I had but I was going for a simplified version. I suppose I can keep the higher notes shorter without tampering with the difficulty.

Quote from: Zeila on June 18, 2017, 12:02:01 AM- m5, 9, 21 If you want to get really nitpicky, I think the half note should be a dotted quarter note
Hmm. I wanted to keep it nice and clean but I suppose it is correct.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Edit: here's the original btw

innit

AmpharosAndy

Score updated!
Also I noticed some weird error with the staccatos but it's fixed now, hopefully.
(Double post)
innit

Sebastian

Hey! Great work! This is a sheet I've been wanting to see for a while lol.

Some more things I noticed:
- Looks like you're missing a couple Cs in M. 1-2 on beat 4. I do believe that you may have left them out because they would get in the way of the vocalizations (M. 1 only). Maybe go ahead and see if you could add those.
- This is nitpicky as heck, and really up to you, but the reverb is super high. If that was your intention, than just ignore what I said. xD  (If you wish to change it, go to Window > Mixer > Reverb).
- In M. 7-8 (and others like it), there are mordents that you could put on some of the melody notes to give it some more pizzazz and similarity to the original.
Something like this would be nice:

- The BPM marking is slightly off. I'm getting Quarter Note = 110.
This tool is extremely helpful for getting accurate tempos:
http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm
- The left hand part/the bass is pretty solid! There are a few minor errors/left out notes. Granted, those notes are hard to hear. :P
If you are having trouble hearing notes, whether it be that they are too fast, or too low, there is a fancy tool I recommend that allows you to slow the song down to 75% and 50%. Very, very helpful with challenging bass lines such as this.
https://www.tunetranscriber.com/
I'll go ahead and give you the first two measures of where the bass comes in as a template (it'd be great if you could figure out, or at least try to figure out the best on your own. It would be much better for you to try then for me to give it all to you) :P
M. 3-4:

Also, I would recommend a staccato on that G.
- In M. 19, 24, and other like it, you can beam those 16ths together (the rest is in between them).

Looks like a pretty good arrangement! If you need any help at all with the fixing of the bassline or you get stumped, go ahead and shoot me a pm or we can chat about it over skype (screen sharing is also an option if you would like that!). Or even if you have a question about another aspect of the song, that's great too!

Sebastian

Andy and I went ahead and discussed this sheet via Skype call. He gave some great explanations of what and why he did what he did with this sheet. We're going to go ahead and do some revisions and then post the revised edition here. In a nutshell, he'll be doing some work on the notes and I'll be helping him with the things he's unable to fix since he is using Finale Notepad.
Love your accent by the way ; )

Bespinben

M. 17-18 -- The lower staff's accidentals don't match those chosen for the upper staff. Use Db and Ab, instead of C# and G# (reason: b2 chord root = neopolitan).

Also, just be aware that you have the ability to still use "8vb" instead of "8va" as the default symbol for ottava. Makemusic in their infinite wisdom decided that they'd try to correct a century's worth of copyist shorthands by burying the 8vb symbol in a list of sub-menus hoping to phase out the etymologically inaccurate expression "8vb". Here's where it is:
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Sebastian

Quote from: Bespinben on June 19, 2017, 03:30:32 PMAlso, just be aware that you have the ability to still use "8vb" instead of "8va" as the default symbol for ottava. Makemusic in their infinite wisdom decided that they'd try to correct a century's worth of copyist shorthands by burying the 8vb symbol in a list of sub-menus hoping to phase out the etymologically inaccurate expression "8vb". Here's where it is:

Are you sure that is not an import error? He uses Finale Notepad so maybe it "got changed" during the import. Obviously Notepad wouldn't have 8vb markings since it is extremely limited as is.

Sebastian

Here we go! How's this look, Andy? I got all the things updated that we talked about:
[6:33:38 AM] Andrew Mulhern: In terms of the desert arrangement, would you be able to just sort out the things we discussed
[6:35:52 AM] Andrew Mulhern: Recap: Tempo change, extra bass notes, reverb, mordents + Ben's thing about Ab + Db in bar 17/18
[7:20:27 AM] Sebastian: Sure thing! I'll be able to handle that for you.

Also this:
Quote from: Bespinben on June 19, 2017, 03:30:32 PMM. 17-18 -- The lower staff's accidentals don't match those chosen for the upper staff. Use Db and Ab, instead of C# and G# (reason: b2 chord root = neopolitan).
I actually caught these earlier. We just didn't update them until now. Thanks anyway!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8svlzkecpxoyta/Andy%27s%20desert.mus?dl=1

What do you think of this, Andy?

AmpharosAndy

It looks great to me! Only thing I noticed was that the right hand is in common time and the left hand is in 4/4. Idk if that's a pro technique to which I'm oblivious.
innit

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: AmpharosAndy on June 22, 2017, 02:51:30 AMIt looks great to me! Only thing I noticed was that the right hand is in common time and the left hand is in 4/4. Idk if that's a pro technique to which I'm oblivious.
That's probably a mistake. Common time and 4/4 are pretty much identical.
At the same time I don't know how someone could make that mistake so for all I know it could've been intentional.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Sebastian

Quote from: AmpharosAndy on June 22, 2017, 02:51:30 AMIt looks great to me! Only thing I noticed was that the right hand is in common time and the left hand is in 4/4. Idk if that's a pro technique to which I'm oblivious.
Lol xD
That was definitely unintentional. It must've happened when I exported to Finale 2012 because I'm 100% sure that it was common time on the musx. file before I exported it. Let me take a look at that again...

Sebastian

Yeah...very weird. xD
I have no clue how common time got on the top and 4/4 got on the bottom. Anyway, here is a .mus with the issue resolved:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rqf7enuea8icyha/NSMBW%20-%20Desert.mus?dl=1

Do you need a PDF and Midi?