News:

It's not Opposite Day.

Main Menu

Super Mario Odyssey

Started by E. Gadd Industries, June 13, 2017, 02:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThatHiddenCharacter

Quote from: Dudeman on June 14, 2017, 10:58:35 AMa trial-and-error, backtracky, grindy mess. Fact.
True, but that doesn't mean people can't like it. Sometimes, one has to look past the major flaws in something to truly enjoy it. It wasn't a good game as part of a series, but it's still enjoyable to play. Definitely not as good as the other Paper Marios, though.
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

Olimar12345

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 14, 2017, 10:43:07 AMSuper Mario Bros. 2 is lame ... Do I like SMB2? No.

you watch your mouth

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

LeviR.star

Quote from: Olimar12345 on June 14, 2017, 11:30:28 AMyou watch your mouth

I said I like Doki Doki Panic, which, in essense, IS SMB2. SMB2's just not very original.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Dudeman

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on June 14, 2017, 11:16:09 AMSometimes, one has to look past the major flaws in something to truly enjoy it.
[facepalm]
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

WaluigiTime64

I see these "Doki Doki Panic is Super Mario Bros. 2" discussions all the time, and I always see a decent amount of people who really don't like SMB2, but I have never seen one which likes the original DDP, but dislikes the literal re-skin at the same time.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Olimar12345

My guess would be that he thinks that because he didn't grow up with SMB2 (USA). To most of us that was the real super mario bros 2 until the internet came around.

besides, what we would later find out was the real smb2 sucks.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Dudeman

Yeah, for all American intents and purposes, The Lost Levels is a ROMhack of the first game and more of a footnote than a sequel. SMB2 has always been Doki Doki Reskin in my mind and I enjoy the game on its own merits.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

LeviR.star

Quote from: Olimar12345 on June 14, 2017, 11:56:34 AMMy guess would be that he thinks that because he didn't grow up with SMB2 (USA). To most of us that was the real super mario bros 2 until the internet came around.

Wrong. I discovered "The Lost Levels" after SMB2 (USA), and I've played both of them. I've known about USA for quite some time, but nowadays it just doesn't look like a Mario game. That said, SMB2 (JP) isn't that much of an improvement, either. Poison Mushrooms, wind, more tricky levels, differences between Mario & Luigi's physics, and minor graphical & audial tweaks. It's just a harder SMB with more levels.

I agree with Dudeman on this.

also the Super Mario Wiki page has a whole list of differences but my point still stands
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

WaluigiTime64

Really, I wouldn't get mad at the game that brought Shy Guys to the Mario scene.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

LeviR.star

Well, yes, the game did bring a lot of enemies to the Mario franchise. Pokeys, Shy Guys, Bob-Ombs, Snifits, etc.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Olimar12345 on June 14, 2017, 11:56:34 AMbesides, what we would later find out was the real smb2 sucks.

LeviR.star

Personally, I've always thought of SMB3 as the real sequel to SMB.

Maelstrom

I have played sticker star and it was utter, unredeemable garbage.

Edit: woops there was another page here

mastersuperfan

*reads topic*

oops

Actually, I didn't find Sticker Star, like, unbearable or anything... but that was probably because I resorted to using a guide the whole way through. Without one I honestly can't imagine anyone enjoying the game, trying to look in every little spot in the levels to find random thing stickers. And that's only one half of it; the battle system wasn't very good, either.

I actually played it through twice (lol completionism, screw you Wiggler segment drawings), but it's definitely a game I'd never touch again. Just saying. I mentioned it because I know a lot of people do dislike it and I completely understand why. Plus, that was back when I was, like, what, still in elementary school and I could get enjoyment out of pretty much anything?

Also, Super Mario 3D World is amazing. Better than every other Mario 3D platformer out there. I'd even say it's better than 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy. YES, I SAID IT. I MEAN IT. FIGHT ME.

(also you do realize Mario Teaches Typing was a joke right that's why I used the strikethrough formatting)
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 14, 2017, 03:09:09 PMAlso, Super Mario 3D World is amazing. Better than every other Mario 3D platformer out there. I'd even say it's better than Sunshine
D:< BLASPHEMY!!!
Jkjk everyone has their own opinions~
As far as SM3DW goes, it's a pretty fun game. I never got all that far through it (thanks, school), but from what I saw it was decent all-around. Really like the cat concept and its implementation!

Back to Odyssey, I swear I have to think twice every time I type Odyssey, but more importantly:
Before I saw the trailer and really thought about it, I just kinda pushed all the talk about it being Sunshine 2 to the side. I just didn't believe it; as far as sequels went, I was expecting a legit "Sunshine 2" in name: some island out in the ocean, Shadow Mario screwing everything up (or something similar), and then Shine Sprites. But now that I've seen the trailer, I've started wondering if this is truly the sequel we've been waiting for. I say this looking at the Green Moon coins. They seem too similar to blue coins to overlook, and while most can't say it without cringing, the blue coin hunt was a staple in Sunshine. Of course, all of this is just my thoughts, and when the game is released in late October, we could all be completely wrong apart from what we've seen (which hopefully is very little of the game). That's the fun part of waiting for games: the suspense. As for me? I won't be viewing any video aside from the trailer I posted in the OP. No demos, speculations, nothing.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]