News:

Are you on Discord? Join our server!

Main Menu

Kirby for the SWITCH!!

Started by LeviR.star, June 13, 2017, 09:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeviR.star

Guys, I hate to go overly loco, but THIS. IS. EVERYTHING. I'VE. DREAMED OF!!

LOOK AT THIS GAME!!

- HD GRAPHICS
- CLEAN HAS RETURNED WITH A NEW MOVESET!! (Now called Cleaning)
- NAGO MAKES A CAMEO!!
- BURNIN' LEO RETURNS!!
- WATER RETURNS!!
- THOSE WEIRD BARRELS FROM SQUEAK SQUAD ARE HERE AGAIN!!
- HELPERS ARE BACK, WITH KIRBY'S HATS!!!!!
- YOU CAN COMBINE ABILITIES AGAIN, LIKE IN SQUEAK SQUAD!!
- FIRE SWORD LOOKS AWESOME
- WATER BOMB LOOKS AWESOME
- OH, AND NEW WATER ENEMY!
- CURLING STONE IS BACK FROM KIRBY 64: THE CRYSTAL SHARDS!! AAAAAAHHHHH
- 3-DIMENSIONAL OVERWORLD!!
- WHISPY WOODS IN HD!!

THIS IS EVERYTHING KIRBY GCN WOULD'VE BEEN AND MORE!! I NEEEEEEEEED IT!!!!!!!

*cough* Sorry 'bout that... heheheh...

Thoughts on this most-anticipated Kirby game to exist?
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

mikey

probably won't be better than KSS

and then alti is going to come in and remind everyone that KSS is not a good kirby game
unmotivated

LeviR.star

Kirby Super Star is a significant game in Kirby's history. It may not be the best, but it's done a lot of new things.

- remarkable new graphics
- helpers
- many of its songs have been remixed
- copy ability hats
- multiple moves per ability move set
- introduced guarding
- added many new enemies
- started a long line of Arenas and True Arenas
- coined the most recognizable Kirby tune, "Gourmet Race"
- rivaled only by Kirby's Adventure, it is arguably the most influential Kirby game of all time
- one of the three Kirby games to receive a remake, which is my favorite Kirby game

That said, I like this much better, because it combines elements from many different games. While the oldies are important, they shouldn't overshadow the newer ones with much more.

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on June 13, 2017, 09:49:24 AMand then alti is going to come in and remind everyone that KSS is not a good kirby game

I'd like to hear the argument behind this.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Altissimo

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 13, 2017, 10:09:23 AMI'd like to hear the argument behind this.

thanks noc...

i acknowledge it did a lot for the series but i can also acknowledge that for pokemon, diamond and pearl did a lot for the series, but they still play like ass. people seem to forget this and think innovation in mechanics automatically makes a game that much better in gameplay. diamond and pearl had one of the worst pokemon distributions ever and were slow as shit, there really isn't much that redeems them when it comes to replay value.

as far as super star goes, i can't stand the controls for one, they're different from the other kirby games and they're just ass in my opinion
also i just am not a fan of the fact that it's just a bunch of a different games because it just makes it hard to get into anything. like for example in milky way wishes the gimmick is you have to collect all the different abilities and then you can choose to use them at will but since it's such a short game i never see the point in switching abilities like at all so i just stick to fire and sword forever... like it's a cool concept but I can't bring myself to care at all when it is so short
don't like the graphics either
most of it is petty shit but whatever, i legitimately do not have a fun time when i am playing super star, and i have played every "main" kirby game except rainbow curse, and super star is by far my least favor

mikey

lol sorry I thought everyone had already seen your argument for it
your opinion on KSS is like my opinion on OOT as far as I can tell
unmotivated

LeviR.star

Quote from: Altissimo on June 13, 2017, 10:27:46 AMmost of it is petty shit but whatever, i legitimately do not have a fun time when i am playing super star, and i have played every "main" kirby game except rainbow curse, and super star is by far my least favor

I can understand; Super Star's controls were plain annoying, but I got used to them, and the remake made everything better concerning the controls. Nonetheless, the controls were the most glaring issue of the game, which is why I think they made a remake in the first place. I think that the physics in Dream Land 3 were even more irritating. Even while running, you would move super slow, and flying feels awkward. Additionally, animal friends were hard to keep, and the very last room of each level overdid the shaming of the player for not doing the task for the character correctly. The level design was boring, and I didn't care much for the "colored pencil" graphics. Kirby's pink was never right on the SNES. It took them until Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land to get it right. Somehow, Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards managed to do everything that KDL3 did wrong, right.

Altissimo

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 13, 2017, 10:42:55 AMI think that the physics in Dream Land 3 were even more irritating. Even while running, you would move super slow, and flying feels awkward.

I definitely understand that, but to me it seemed more fitting of a more slow-paced, puzzle based game like KDL3 was.

QuoteI didn't care much for the "colored pencil" graphics. Kirby's pink was never right on the SNES.

Aww, I disagree, I thought KDL3 had one of the best art styles of any Kirby game! But again I get why you think that haha.

I agree on 64 being a general improvement, though, although it didn't do much to fix the slow pace of the game and Kirby's movement. Which worked fine for me on a 2D side scroller but was more irritating in the 64 world, idk.

I have a general soft spot for KDL3 because it's the kind of cutesy fun adventure I think Kirby was intended to be, the same reason Epic Yarn is my favorite game even though it's not a "true" Kirby game. Sometimes I just want to relax.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Altissimo on June 13, 2017, 10:56:04 AMAww, I disagree, I thought KDL3 had one of the best art styles of any Kirby game! But again I get why you think that haha.

Well, the concept was an interesting idea, but I think the art style would have done better on, say, the GameCube. It would have been a shame to not take advantage of the N64's capabilities, so I guess that's why they made Kirby 64. They did an impressive job with KDL3's graphics, but they were a little late to get the game to North America. Also, Epic Yarn did a much better job with matching art styles and story, while KDL3 got a little extreme with the final bosses of the game. Still an impressive feat for HAL, though.

Quote from: Altissimo on June 13, 2017, 10:56:04 AMI have a general soft spot for KDL3 because it's the kind of cutesy fun adventure I think Kirby was intended to be, the same reason Epic Yarn is my favorite game even though it's not a "true" Kirby game. Sometimes I just want to relax.

Agreed. I agree completely.

Dekkadeci

Saw the trailer already, so that means I--and hopefully we--can now start speculating on a bunch of things!

Playable Characters
Looks like it's helper spam for the main story's playable character base. I strongly suspect at least one of King Dedede and Meta Knight (and quite possibly both!) will get his own extra "story" mode--I don't think they'll both be playable in the same mode, though, and I don't think they'll be playable in the main story mode. Here's my speculation on which characters they can recruit trailer-Kirby-style:

King Dedede
  • Random Waddle Dee looks like the most likely bet, as there's many of them in King Dedede's castle. Maybe he'll get lucky with a Parasol Waddle Dee. ...Or a Waddle Doo.
  • Biiiiig maybe for Bandana Waddle Dee. That chap's been portrayed as one of King Dedede's steadfast servants, although I've been getting a hunch that he just wants everyone to get along. He's been relegated to a support role lately, though, which reduces the chance that he'll be playable in this game in any capacity. If you're lucky, maybe you can get support-capacity Bandana Waddle Dee to hand you goodies all the time...
  • Despite King Dedede being able to throw them in Smash Bros. games, I don't think King Dedede will be able to recruit Gordos--they're too immobile! What's the point?

Meta Knight
  • Blade Knight, as one of Meta Knight's helpers in Kirby Super Star Ultra and a reference to the anime, looks like one of the surest bets.
  • So does Sword Knight for the same reasons.
  • I'm currently betting that Meta Knight cannot recruit anyone else, though--not even Javelin Knight. Maybe the Meta-Knights will be back in one of Meta Knight's special moves, just like in Kirby: Planet Robobot.

Plot
Whispy Woods looks like it's the first boss of the game, and things look green enough, which can mean only one thing: Haltmann Works isn't back for another mechanizing round. I don't think it'll be Kirby's Return to Dream Land/"Milky Way Wishes" Redux, though, with our protagonists helping a betrayer. I hope they won't use Kirby and the Rainbow Curse's plot of "possessed chap terrorizes our heroes". Maybe it'll be another Kirby's Return to Dream Land-style fetch quest?

Music
The trailer, with its "Green Greens"-like tune, gives away nothing in this category. Will there be an overarching leitmotif song like the Arena theme of Kirby's Return to Dream Land (notably also the trailer theme of one of its Kirby GCN predecessors) or "The Noble Haltmann" in Kirby: Planet Robobot? And, if so, how many motives from that song will the rest of the soundtrack use? (I like Kirby's Return to Dream Land's use of darn near every part of its Arena theme significantly more than Kirby: Planet Robobot's use of basically only two motives from "The Noble Haltmann".)

BlackDragonSlayer

Huh. Looks like it might be pretty good.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

LeviR.star

Quote from: Dekkadeci on June 13, 2017, 07:05:46 PMWill there be an overarching leitmotif song like the Arena theme of Kirby's Return to Dream Land (notably also the trailer theme of one of its Kirby GCN predecessors) or "The Noble Haltmann" in Kirby: Planet Robobot?

Oh yea; that was kinda overused, in my opinion. But it was very clear, and that's important for the Kirby soundtracks.

Also... anyone else notice the purple gas around Whispy? Is there more possession involved in this game?

Dekkadeci

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 13, 2017, 07:28:26 PMAlso... anyone else notice the purple gas around Whispy? Is there more possession involved in this game?
You're right, Whispy Woods is suspiciously purple in the trailer...Yin-Yarn/Taranza-style control, Dark Matter-style possession, or possibly core Queen Sectonia-like total parasitism?

LeviR.star

Exactly.

What abilities would you guys like to see return? Personally, I'd appreciate Throw, Ghost, and Laser coming back, with revamped move sets, but maybe I'm too Squeak Squad-biased...

K-NiGhT

finally an actual honest to goodness console Kirby game that I might be able to buy! I don't think I've gotten a Kirby game since Squeak Squad
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 28, 2015, 06:48:06 PM
what are you doing stop making nsm a better place by spreading happiness

LeviR.star

Quote from: K-NiGhT on June 20, 2017, 09:23:45 PMI don't think I've gotten a Kirby game since Squeak Squad

In that case, Knight, I think you'll like this game a lot. I loved Squeak Squad, but my favorite part about it was the ability mixing.

In fact, there are more abilities shown in the trailer than we think. Given that the mixed abilities shown were combinations of elemental abilities and weapon abilities, there are some more possible ones I've considered:

- Fire Bomb?
- Ice Bomb (My favorite ability is returning!!)
- Thunder Bomb (Spark Bomb)
- Ice Cutter (all of the Ice combinations are gonna be so cool)
- Spark Cutter
- Water Cutter (if there's a Water Hammer already, why not this?)
- Fire Whip
- Ice Whip (cooooooooool)
- Ice Hammer (COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL)
- Fire Hammer (imagine the Hammer Flips :o)
- Spark Hammer
- Ice Sword (this game is gonna be epic)
- Spark Sword
- Water Sword (I'm curious about how they'll design this)

Since Curling Stone has already been shown to return, why not some other Kirby 64 mixes? Volcano could return, but it would have a completely unique move set. We'll have to wait and see.

Of course, there are a couple more elemental abilities that could return, like Poison, but right now, the possibilities are absolutely intriguing.