News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

Understanding the 5th Dimension

Started by E. Gadd Industries, June 06, 2017, 07:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E. Gadd Industries

As I was typing up the additions to the hypothesis last night, I started questioning one of the main points, and it was then that I realised this project should be made public. I figured that there are plenty of bright minds in the NSM community, much wiser than mine, that could take this hypothesis to the next level. It makes sense: the more minds involved, the more dimensions (HA!) that are added to the project. So if you want to contribute to the hypothesis, feel free to! Preferably, you'll give your thoughts here so others can evaluate it, but ultimately you can contribute in 3 main ways:
1. Challenge
Find something that doesn't quite add up in the hypothesis and tell me about it! This way I can figure out a way to make it more sound. If you see a possible solution, add that in so we can make the hypothesis stronger more quickly!
2. Add
If you can think of a completely new aspect of the 5th dimension that the hypothesis has not yet discussed, feel free to mention it here! Of course, you'll need to provide details and explanations to back it up, but the hypothesis in its current state is by no means complete. My goal is to have a reasonable understanding of the 5th dimension, how it functions, how it influences those in it, etc.
3. Comment
Engage in the discussion and offer your thoughts on other people's responses! From this, we can gain new perspectives and enriched dialogue, encouraging people to rethink their ideas and the main hypothesis itself! At times I will post questions that I encourage you to discuss on here; these questions are things important to the hypothesis that I have not been able to figure out, and am hoping others can.

With that out of the way, here's the link to the document I have running:
Check it out!
It's a bit sloppy and rushed, yes, but I don't want to write a formal hypothesis quite yet, until more points are assembled or backed up with sound reasoning.

My first question: in travelling at the speed of light (or past it), does one cross into the 3rd or 5th dimension? Or perhaps do they go somewhere else, if at all?
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

mikey

Mashi probably understands this stuff

I see the third dimension as a box except the box is inside out and it moves along an infinite line in both directions

What youre suggesting is that this inside out box simultaneously travels in every infinite direction spread out over a plane?
unmotivated

E. Gadd Industries

I'm trying to visualise an inside-out box. The way I view the 3rd dimension is a large view of a cube, but you're just inside the walls so you don't see them (like how a video game camera works). Given, the walls aren't there. But that's just the way I can visualise it. As far as in combination with planar time, I'm not 100% sure how to answer that. While they are joined, the spatial and temporal dimensions still have their seperate aspects, such as the concreteness of space relative to time (despite the fact that empty space is just as abstract as time). The way I see the timeplane is that the infinite timelines that compose it each contain their own spatiality: there are """"things"""" in each that behave as objects not influenced by time. Now, whether or not the timelines themselves behave as something tangible in the timeplane, I don't have the perception to answer that yet (or perhaps at all).
I hope I answered your question? Probably not, but I'm trying
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Maelstrom

As for light, relativity simply dictates that you can't go the speed of light. Nothing happens because light is simply still traveling the same velocity relative to you. Ex light is still moving 2.998*10^8 m/s faster than you if you are standing still or moving at 99.9999% the speed of light. Because of this, it is impossible to move faster than light and such. Also, time dilation is fun.

Dude

mikey

unmotivated

BlackDragonSlayer

I think it would be more of a problem if you did get it...
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Dudeman

Okay, the biggest problem I'm seeing here is your whole "living beings are fourth dimensional" thing. I call bullcrap. You're confusing sentience with independent movement. The piece of paper will someday rot away and decompose. It exists in the fourth dimension; it is influenced by time. If we were "in the third dimension," we wouldn't not be able to see the paper's folder. The paper would either be folded or it wouldn't (or partway in-between), and the folder would also exist at a fixed point in time. Remember, without the fourth dimension, nothing changes chronologically. Living in the third dimension is simply existing at a fixed point in time, with no change. Just because we are alive does not make us any higher (dimensionally speaking) than the chair you're sitting on, or that lamp on your desk, or the computer monitor you are reading this on. Every one of those objects is being influenced by time.
Also, consider that objects cast a shadow that is shaped one dimension below their existence. All objects in our three-dimensional world cast two-dimensional shadows. That goes for all of us "living" beings as well. A fourth-dimensional object casts a three-dimensional shadow (which I'm still trying to wrap my head around). I don't believe we cast three-dimensional shadows, do you? I think you need to rethink the fundamentals that you are building your hypothesis on.
Dude's video is incredibly informative and I recommend you give it a look before continuing.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mikey

Hay I knew the shadow thing

That's what ghosts are, shadows of 4 dimensional objects
unmotivated

E. Gadd Industries

Ooooo lotsa stuff. I have to go for the time being, but I'll look at it in the morning. You bring up some interesting and very valid points!
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Dekkadeci

Your paper and your use of the "5th dimension" (which I'd normally associate with the 4th spatial dimension--what lets us think of tesseracts, and which might actually exist if string theory is provably true) makes me wonder: Does our exercising of free will move us along your "5th dimension"? I've read that a fully deterministic world, completely defined by the classical laws of physics, does not allow free will. I've even read an article in the newspaper recently pondering whether consciousness exists due to interactions in quantum mechanics. So, if we change our path, just like (your mentioned) God can change ours, does that mean we just moved along your "5th dimension"?

E. Gadd Industries

Yyyyyyyeah... I meant to get to these. BUT, I'll be heading home tomorrow (FINALLY) so I'll look at them on the road.
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]