News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

Pokémon Ultra Sun & Pokémon Ultra Moon

Started by SlowPokemon, June 06, 2017, 07:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of these games' announcement?

I'm really excited!
I'm cautiously optimistic.
I'm still undecided.
I think it sounds pretty stupid.
I'm angry about it.

Dekkadeci

Kommo-o's exclusive Z-move actually looks like it kicks huge butt! It basically pulls off a Z-Celebrate (Attack, Special Attack, Defence, Special Defence, and Speed all go up +1 stage) and an attack at the same time. I suspect Kommo-o will move up one tier thanks to this Z-move (but since stuff like Z-Conversion Porygon-Z only hit UU to BL, I suspect Kommo-o may end up in the same place).

I suspect it'll be a Dragon-type special attack, but the only proof I have that it's a Dragon attack is that it was super-effective on a Flying Dragon (Salamence) and a Ground Dragon (Garchomp) (note that this proves that it isn't a Fighting-type attack), and I don't have proof that it's a special attack.

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Dekkadeci on August 18, 2017, 04:47:43 PMKommo-o's exclusive Z-move actually looks like it kicks huge butt! It basically pulls off a Z-Celebrate (Attack, Special Attack, Defence, Special Defence, and Speed all go up +1 stage) and an attack at the same time. I suspect Kommo-o will move up one tier thanks to this Z-move (but since stuff like Z-Conversion Porygon-Z only hit UU to BL, I suspect Kommo-o may end up in the same place).
Yeah. The only problem is Kommo-o's stats. They can't design pseudo-legendaries like they used to. :P The added bulk will definitely be nice, though.

QuoteI suspect it'll be a Dragon-type special attack, but the only proof I have that it's a Dragon attack is that it was super-effective on a Flying Dragon (Salamence) and a Ground Dragon (Garchomp) (note that this proves that it isn't a Fighting-type attack), and I don't have proof that it's a special attack.
I don't know if this is confirmed or not, but it's very likely that it will be based off Clanging Scales, which is somewhat of a disappointment, as it means Kommo-o will be forced to run either a mixed or specially-based set (which means it probably won't be able to use Dragon Dance for extra power, which limits what it can do overall). If it can use any Dragon-type attack as a base, then that would be super great for it (it could run something like Dragon Dance/Dragon Claw/Sky Uppercut/Earthquake).
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Dudeman

Quote from: Dekkadeci on August 18, 2017, 04:47:43 PMI suspect it'll be a Dragon-type special attack, but the only proof I have that it's a Dragon attack is that it was super-effective on a Flying Dragon (Salamence) and a Ground Dragon (Garchomp) (note that this proves that it isn't a Fighting-type attack), and I don't have proof that it's a special attack.
The more solid proof you should have is that the trainer does the Dragon-type Z dance before the move. I thought that was obvious.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Dudeman on August 18, 2017, 05:12:39 PMThe more solid proof you should have is that the trainer does the Dragon-type Z dance before the move. I thought that was obvious.
Yeah, I think it's definitely confirmed as Dragon-type, at least.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

SlowPokemon

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 18, 2017, 04:30:49 PMThey better not put the music from that first video into the actual game

At least it's different and not exactly the same as the norm like the original version

And at least you can tell them apart unlike a lot of the B2W2 "remixes"
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Dekkadeci

They just released more details about Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon--in particular, details about "Ultra Solgaleo" and "Ultra Lunala", the cover mascots:
  • They're Necrozma forms and probably have Necrozma's Pokedex number.
  • The names of the Necrozma forms apparently translate to "Necrozma Mane of Twilight" and "Necrozma Wings of Dawn", respectively.
  • Two similar screenshots are in the latest issue of Corocoro depicting Necrozma in a cloudy shape with its arms spread wide, posing to absorb Solgaleo in one screenshot and Lunala in another.
  • The Necrozma forms are known to have access to Sunsteel Strike and/or Moongeist Beam.

As if people weren't predicting the above already, this is probably why Game Freak keeps banning Necrozma from its tournaments.

I'm more disappointed about the news than I previously expected to be--this feels like Kyurem-Black and Kyurem-White all over again, including the new cover mascots sharing one legendary's Pokedex number. Maybe a bit of me was hoping that different cover mascots would have different Pokedex numbers and be considered forms of different Pokemon (instead of the same one)...

Well, here's some of my speculation:
  • Nebby is involved in the in-story absorption process somehow. I'd like to think it's as Solgaleo/Lunala, but there's the slight possibility that Necrozma also evolves from Cosmoem (in the Ultra games only).
  • The Necrozma forms are meant to be temporary, and Necrozma will eventually separate from Solgaleo/Lunala--note that "Twilight" and "Dawn" are transitory time periods.
  • Solgaleo and Lunala have considerable autonomy as members of the Necrozma forms, and have some say in where the form goes.
  • However, Solgaleo and Lunala do not like being in Necrozma forms, and Necrozma often forces them to do things against their will.
  • Even though Necrozma seems fairly associated with black holes (black colouration, general resistance to damage, violent tendencies, habit of firing lasers a la Hawking radiation), the Necrozma forms may be more analogous to wormholes, especially for the reasons below...
  • Necrozma's role in the (un?-)natural order is to force day and night back into a regular schedule. Solgaleo and Lunala's Pokedex entries indicate that they bring in daytime and nighttime unnaturally, possibly for the sheer heck of it. "Necrozma Mane of Twilight" possibly forces Solgaleo to drag itself away so nighttime can start, and "Necrozma Wings of Dawn" likely brings in the dawn and ends Lunala's influence.

Trasdegi

Did you notice than the game releasing shedule have been exactly the same for the ds and the 3ds? I mean:
-New gen (dp/xy)
-Remakes (hgss/oras)
-New gen (bw/sm)
-Follow-up of this gen (b2w2/usul)

mikey

unmotivated

Dekkadeci

Seems like Pokemon Direct released a lot of Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon data today:

The heck?!? Actual new Pokemon introduced mid-generation!!?!
  • UB "Burst" is exclusive to Pokemon Ultra Sun and looks like a flamboyant ball-and-stick humanoid that can throw its jelly-ball head around. It does look a bit like it has a Nihilego for a head, though...
  • UB "Assembly" is a walking brick wall/tower with eyes. It is exclusive to Pokemon Ultra Moon.
  • Note that neither of the above will be those Ultra Beast Pokemons' real species names, though--these are code names, just like the "Lighting" for UB-03 Xurkitree.

More details on new Z-Moves in Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon:
  • All Lycanroc forms get access to the Z-Move "Splintered Stormshards". It's based on Stone Edge, it's an attack, it apparently can't even OHKO Tapu Koko the frail-o, and it wipes out all terrain as an effect. Terrain's pretty temporary in general so this seems somewhat overrated to me, but at least something isn't getting hit as hard by Tapu Bulu or someone can finally Spore Tapu Fini...

And the Necrozma forms' English names are "Dusk Mane Necrozma" and "Dawn Wings Necrozma". That supports my theory that Necrozma is mainly forcing day to change to night and vice versa whenever it captures and fuses with Solgaleo/Lunala...

SlowPokemon

The direct footage actually had me more optimistic about these games. They look really good. It looks like they're doing as much or more as Platinum did for Diamond and Pearl which is awesome.

BlackDragonSlayer

Now this is something.

Also, apparently the Necrozma forms keep the typing of Solgaleo/Lunala. Not confirmed, but very likely.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Nebbles

Mantine surfing looks pretty fun, goddamn.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Olimar12345

Meh, I just can't get over the copy/paste that this game is. Looks just as bland as it did last time. Think I'll pass and save the $40.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

SlowPokemon

This is the first time I've considered not getting a Pokémon release on day one. There are too many cooler games coming out right before this one does. But I'll still probably grab it before the special Rockruff expires.

BlackDragonSlayer

I will buy Ultra Sun Day 1 if they announce that they regret making Toxapex and it stops being a thing like, forever.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber