News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

Static's Compositions - My first live recorded piece!

Started by Static, June 02, 2017, 02:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Static

Welcome to my compositions thread!

This is where I will be stockpiling my admittedly small, but slowly growing collection of original compositions.

The Submerged Ruins
[Video][/url]

My second fully finished compositon, performed by CIM's Ars Futura ensemble.

This piece I originally wrote for an English project of all things, in which I was given the option to write a song and compare it to a literary work. I chose to write a song based off of George Orwell's 1984. However, this was not because I wanted to write a song for this book, or even because I like the book (honestly, I can't say I enjoyed reading it very much). I chose it because it allowed me to easily connect my piece to it through the compositional techniques and ideas I used, which was what I was being graded on for the presentation.

In reality, the song is completely separate from the book and I had vastly different ideas in mind when I was writing it than those from the original novel. Perhaps eventually I'll rename the piece and give it a more fitting and more creative title, but for now this is what it is.

This also marks the beginning of my hopefully long-lasting hobby of composing. It's something I've always been interested in and now that I've finally finished a project I have a decently solid grasp on doing this. I plan to compose a lot more in the future, and this, I think, is a good start for me.

cashwarrior1

AmpharosAndy

Can you put up another type of file so that I can listen to it? Mp3 or something? I can only look at the score at the moment. (Looks interesting btw)
innit

Static

.ogg are open-source files that are usually just as easy to open on most devices (including mobile) as other sound files and are significantly higher in sound quality than .mp3 files. They're pretty much the best lossy audio format you can get.

Of course, .wav and .flac are better because they're lossless but .ogg's are generally easier to open on most devices.

AmpharosAndy

It's a great start as you've clearly demonstrated your knowledge and ability. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would recommend starting to write for much smaller ensembles as it's seldom that one has the opportunity to have any sort of large orchestra at hand. I'll be keeping an eye out for any future developments for sure ;)
innit

Static

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on June 02, 2017, 05:29:24 PMWoah, this is amazing!
Quote from: AmpharosAndy on June 04, 2017, 12:07:07 PMIt's a great start as you've clearly demonstrated your knowledge and ability. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would recommend starting to write for much smaller ensembles as it's seldom that one has the opportunity to have any sort of large orchestra at hand. I'll be keeping an eye out for any future developments for sure ;)

Thanks guys! Regarding smaller ensembles, well...

The Submerged Ruins
[Video][/url]

Just last week, I got accepted into a youth composition program thing at the Cleveland Institute of Music, which was essentially my first step into getting to see what professional composition is like in person - and I know now its definitely something I want to continue doing as much as I can. I had a really great time working with the staff and musicians (and the other student composers) there, and this live recording is more than I could ever ask for honestly. While there's some compositional things I'd like to fix and change later, this performance is nothing short of great imo. I'd love to hear any thoughts and criticisms.

There are other compositions I'll be finishing soon and sharing so I can continue building my library, so stay tuned I guess lol

Brassman388