News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

Song Choices

Started by swimswamit, May 18, 2017, 04:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swimswamit

My piano teacher would like me to select 5 songs for us to work on in the coming weeks (just started piano lessons). I have zero knowledge about classical music and I don't want to pick 5 video game songs (even though I'd like to), so does anyone have songs they'd recommend me present to him? Doesn't have to be from ninsheet, I'm talking classical songs or anything that is attainable for a beginner.

I'm definitely bringing at least one Ninsheet song, probably Let's Go to School. If you have any songs from here that would be good please mention them too. Bringing them in tomorrow, so deciding tonight. Thanks!

Latios212

I love Ben's stuff, but if you're looking for beginners material that's not one of them. How about Pokémon League from Diamond and Pearl?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

swimswamit

Quote from: Latios212 on May 18, 2017, 04:44:46 PMI love Ben's stuff, but if you're looking for beginners material that's not one of them. How about Pokémon League from Diamond and Pearl?
Have already played it thanks to your recommendation a few months back ^-^ turned out great.

In the last ~thirty so minutes I've actually found 2-3 Ninsheet songs to play. This is a pretty cool guy who played a lot of Zelda when he was younger, but I don't want to give him only video game stuff to work with. Have any classical piano recommendations or regular songs?

daj

Hey man! If you just started piano lessons, then it might not be the best idea to jump into the complicated stuff, ahaha. It's best to start with pieces that have a very clear right hand/left hand distinction, where the right hand plays only the melody and the left hand only plays accompaniment, so you can work on those separately :)

On the classical side, here's a few pieces I'd recommend starting with:

Clementi Sonatina in C major 2nd movement, from the Op. 36 collection
Look for the one in 3/8 and with no key signature, I think it's a really nice piece ^^

Chopin Prelude in E minor
Easy to play the notes, but with so much musical depth that you'll definitely revisit it in the future :)

Strauss The Blue Danube
Because the left hand pattern will come back to haunt you for years to come and you probably already know the melody ahaha :)

~

On the VGM side, there's:

Most of the short Zelda:OoT tracks
All the "songs of X", Kakariko Village, Title Theme, maaaaybe Kokiri Forest (tough-ish), Great Fairy fountain for the daring.

Shota Kageyama's Pokemon piano solos
Unwavering Heart (BW), AZ's Theme (XY), perhaps Coronation Day (BW).

Most of the Kirby's Dream Land OST
albeit, at like, half the speed xD

Hope this helps!

swimswamit

Quote from: daj on May 18, 2017, 05:24:37 PMHey man! If you just started piano lessons, then it might not be the best idea to jump into the complicated stuff, ahaha. It's best to start with pieces that have a very clear right hand/left hand distinction, where the right hand plays only the melody and the left hand only plays accompaniment, so you can work on those separately :)

On the classical side, here's a few pieces I'd recommend starting with:

Clementi Sonatina in C major 2nd movement, from the Op. 36 collection
Look for the one in 3/8 and with no key signature, I think it's a really nice piece ^^

Chopin Prelude in E minor
Easy to play the notes, but with so much musical depth that you'll definitely revisit it in the future :)

Strauss The Blue Danube
Because the left hand pattern will come back to haunt you for years to come and you probably already know the melody ahaha :)

~

On the VGM side, there's:

Most of the short Zelda:OoT tracks
All the "songs of X", Kakariko Village, Title Theme, maaaaybe Kokiri Forest (tough-ish), Great Fairy fountain for the daring.

Shota Kageyama's Pokemon piano solos
Unwavering Heart (BW), AZ's Theme (XY), perhaps Coronation Day (BW).

Most of the Kirby's Dream Land OST
albeit, at like, half the speed xD

Hope this helps!
Those are great recommendations, had completely forgotten about Kakariko Village and that Chopin one looks really, really easy. These'll go over well with him, thanks!

Nice to meet you too :)

daj

Quote from: swimswamit on May 18, 2017, 05:37:04 PMThose are great recommendations, had completely forgotten about Kakariko Village and that Chopin one looks really, really easy. These'll go over well with him, thanks!

Nice to meet you too :)

Hehe I promise you the Chopin isn't as easy as it looks, it's going to be a meaningful learning journey, and your teacher will love you to bits if you follow the whole meaning part of it ^^

Nice to meet you ahaha! You can bet I'll let you know if any other easy pieces cross my mind :)