News:

NinSheetMusic is 18 years old!

Main Menu

Favourite Soundtrack per platform

Started by 607, May 17, 2017, 11:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey! I wrote this thread for another forum a while ago, but I thought it might be interesting to share it here as well, as this forum is largely about video game music, after all. :)

Hi, it's me again!

I've had this idea for a while now, but never made it, and thought somebody would've beat me to it by now. But apparently not.
I'm interested, though: what's your favourite soundtrack per platform? Obviously, you'll probably only be able to list those for platforms you know quite a few soundtracks on.
Keep in mind there are many soundtracks I don't know very well, but if I see any soundtracks on somebody's list I haven't fully listened to yet, I hope to check them out!

This would be my own list at the moment:

Nintendo Entertainment System: Super Mario Bros., Koji Kondo. With only the most basic of tools at his disposal, Kondo succeeded in creating a soundtrack that wouldn't get repetitive and would stay fun even after 30 years!!
Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Donkey Kong Country 2, David Wise. This soundtrack is totally genius. Such a masterpiece, with many different themes, and for all, the atmosphere was set flawlessly. Stunning stuff.
Gameboy: Super Mario Land, Hirokazu Tanaka. So simple at its core, yet so incredibly well executed. These tunes are timeless.
Atari ST: Lotus III: The Ultimate Challenge, Patrick Phelan. I love the ST's soundchip, and Phelan made the most out of it for this soundtrack, I think. All themes are awesome.
Playstation: Rayman, Rémi Gazel. A very impressive soundtrack. That's what it is.
Gameboy Color: Wario Land 3, Kozue Ishikawa. With very basic building stones, Kozue Ishikawa put very much thought into every one of her tunes. And as I learn more about music, I keep getting astonished by what went into these pieces.
Nintendo 64: Super Mario 64, Koji Kondo. Koji Kondo did it again. With some remixes, and many entirely new ideas, he composed another wonderful experience.
PC: SimCity 3000, Jerry Martin et al. This soundtrack features both new-age and jazz music, and both styles were captured perfectly, to my ears. Every single theme is unique, and it'd be hardly possible to choose a favourite, as every single one is a masterpiece and a great work of art.
Gameboy Advance: Mario Kart Super Circuit, Kenichi Nishimaki et al. Unfortunately these themes had to be compressed quite a bit to get onto the GBA, but when ripped they still sound great. The samples are very nice, the melodies, base lines, drums et cetera are super cool, and the whole thing simply fits very well together.
GameCube: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Kenta Nagata et al. A very well-crafted soundtrack, with a lovely atmosphere.
Wii: Super Mario Galaxy, Mahito Yokota, Koji Kondo. This soundtrack is grand. It's definitely worthy of the grand game. Very beautiful.
Wii U: Yoshi's Woolly World, Tomoya Tomita, Misaki Asada. The soundtrack to Yoshi's Island, composed by Koji Kondo, is one of my favourite soundtracks of all time. This soundtrack beat it. It has quite a high number of themes, and they're all amazing. Some cute, some happy, some scary, some awesome; all very, very well-made. Great job.

It was nice writing that, but I'm also interested in reading other lists! Don't worry, they don't need to be as detailed as this one. :P

Dekkadeci

Is it OK if we talk about our favourite OSTs but not by platform?

BlackDragonSlayer

I'm really tired right now, so I might change some of these later, but this is what I can remember off the top of my head. I'll probably finish adding stuff in within the next couple of days. A lot of these also end up being my favorite games by platform as well, though there are some exceptions.

NES
The Guardian Legend
This game is a very interesting game, even if it's not perfect, it does a lot of interesting things I think could make for a very amazing game if they were refined (not that it's a bad game at all in its current state, let me make clear). Although I'd normally just go for a more "conventional" pick, I've found myself warming up to the soundtrack, especially as I myself have composed several tracks in the style of and/or greatly influenced by this game's soundtrack (and ones I'm still very proud of!).

Close Picks: The Legend of Zelda / Metroid
[close]
SNES
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
I first came across this game when I was very young through the GBA re-release. From the beginning, this is not only a very charming, but also a very engrossing soundtrack, and simply amazing.

Close Picks: Super Metroid / Super Mario World
[close]
N64
Majora's Mask
While I'm not really as much of a fan of Majora's Mask overall, one thing it probably does better than Ocarina of Time (coughoneoftheonlythingscough) is the soundtrack. It generally has a much more menacing and atmospheric feel overall, and the Boss Battle theme is still probably one of my favorite video game songs of all time.

Close Picks: Perfect Dark / Ocarina of Time
[close]
Gameboy
Metroid II
One of the most underappreciated Metroid games (and the one most in need of a remake), but it definitely doesn't lack in its soundtrack. Although a little bit seemingly overly cheery at times, the darker, more atmospheric parts of this soundtrack are what makes it appeal to me so much. Plus, the main tunnels theme itself it amazing.
[close]
Gameboy Color
Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal

Best Pokemon games. 'Nuff said.
[close]
GBA
Wario Land 4
Though this is one of the GBA games that doesn't seem to get as much attention compared to others, Wario Land 4 is really an amazing game (and it uses the same engine as Metroid Fusion; pretty cool, huh?). Its soundtrack is also super great, super fun, and super weird as well. Definitely the best Wario Land game; can't wait until WarioWare stops being a thing (I mean, it's not BAD, just not a good use of Wario's potential).
[close]
DS:
3DS:

PS1
Final Fantasy VII
Let's be honest, a Final Fantasy game being on here shouldn't be surprising at all. I have played this game since my childhood, and its soundtrack is one of the most amazing out there, even being a standout among Final Fantasy soundtracks. Everything works so well and just makes the game all that more amazing.
[close]
PS2:
PS3
LittleBigPlanet 2
Both of the first two LBP games are full of great songs; what I like so much about this OST is that it's a mix or original songs and songs lifted from other places, which really helps to further the whole "mishmash" feel of the game. It's hard to pick a favorite of the two, but overall, I'd say the second one, overall, has a more consistent soundtrack, with standouts like A Fifth of Beethoven, Sleepyhead, Ghosts, The Factory Of A Better Tomorrow Theme, and so many others (like Ballet Shoes a.k.a. You Look So Pretty, which was in the adventure trailer but NOT IN THE ACTUAL GAMEEEEE).
[close]
PS4
Axiom Verge
I have soooo many good things to say about Axiom Verge. It's a great game, and you can tell how much effort was put into the soundtrack to really nail the atmosphere. From the beginning, it draws you in to this mysterious, unique world. I could write a whole ARTICLE on Axiom Verge; it's so great because it's so much like Metroid but also SO MUCH NOT LIKE METROID! FSFSFWFQFFWS.
[close]

Sega Genesis
Mega Turrican
Mega Turrican. MEGA TURRICAN. I cannot express how much I truly love this soundtrack. I mean it. It's probably grown to be my favorite video game soundtrack of all time. Everything about it is so amazing and perfect and I just love it. The cheap, "poppy" sound gurgled out by the pushed-to-the-absolute-limits sound card of the Genesis (bless you yamaha ym2612, you did your duty) just gives the music such a FEEEEEEEEL to it that can't be replicated or topped even by objectively superior sound quality (see: Super Turrican for the SNES). The Opening Theme is so amazing and it's awesome and it hypes you up so much for the game and fufweuifeuifeiheuf. Stage 1-1 theme is so absolutely impeccable and it is definitely by far the best "first stage" theme OF ALL TIME (I will FIGHT you if you say otherwise), and the rest of the soundtrack is just SO SOLID THERE ARE SO MANY AMAZING THINGS IN IT; I AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... CAN'T EVEN AAAAAAAAAAAA...

Close Picks: Sonic 2 / Gunstar Heroes
[close]

PC: Heroes of Might and Magic III / Undertale / Doom
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

Quote from: Dekkadeci on May 18, 2017, 05:10:51 AMIs it OK if we talk about our favourite OSTs but not by platform?
Sure, if a topic like that doesn't already exist. :) I got this idea because I found it very hard to compare soundtracks from different platforms myself.
Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on May 18, 2017, 05:22:08 AMI'm really tired right now, so I might change some of these later, but this is what I can remember off the top of my head. I'll probably finish adding stuff in within the next couple of days. A lot of these also end up being my favorite games by platform as well, though there are some exceptions.
[snip]
Very interesting, thanks! There are actually some soundtracks in there I don't know myself, I'll check some of those out some time if I remember! :) Especially Mega Turrican captures my interest.

Also, Wario Land 4's got a really good soundtrack indeed. I went with Mario Kart Super Circuit in the end, but that wasn't an easy pick. In fact, most Wario Land games have got great music. I already mentioned Wario Land 3 for GBC, but for Gameboy, picking between Super Mario Land and Wario Land II was also quite difficult: I went with Super Mario Land as I knew I would mention Kozue Ishikawa for Wario Land 3 already.

LeviR.star

Here's my incomplete list:

Game Boy: Kirby's Block Ball
Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Mega Man X
Game Boy Advance: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Quote from: LeviR.star on May 18, 2017, 11:33:24 AMHere's my incomplete list:

Game Boy: Kirby's Block Ball
Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Mega Man X
Game Boy Advance: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Good picks! I should get to know Kirby's Block Ball's OST better, and I don't think I've heard Mega Man X yet! :)
Superstar Saga's also got a great soundtrack! The GBA really does have some great soundtracks. It's a shame many of the samples had to be compressed heavily!
Fortunately, we've got HQ samples for the Wario Land 4 music, as they are in the files for WarioWare for Gamecube. :)

SlowPokemon

Idk how I'm supposed to pick for DS but here are some others:

NES: Super Mario Bros. 3. It's short but its legacy is still felt in the Super Mario games today.
Favorite track: Probably the ending, but the older I get the more I really admire the airship theme that's become such a staple.

SNES: EarthBound. It's massive, endlessly quirky, and with really charming soundfonts and compositional styles.
Favorite track: There are so many. But I really like the quirkier tracks like the photographer's theme.

N64: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. More interesting in pretty much every way than Ocarina to me, if a bit more obtuse and frustrating, the soundtrack, like the game, is incredibly dark and unsettling for E-rated fare. Lots of tritones and uncomfortable dissonances.
Favorite track: Majora's Theme. And any track that uses Majora's theme, especially the title. The theme is simply one of the best pieces of video game music ever written.

That's all for now as I'm heading to work. Will update later :)
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

braix

Quote from: MaestroUGC on August 19, 2015, 12:22:27 PM
Braixen is a wonderful [insert gender] with beautiful [corresponding gender trait] and is just the darlingest at [stereotypical activity typically associated with said gender] you ever saw.

daj

Quote from: braixen1264 on May 19, 2017, 07:22:57 AMPokemon DPPt

thats basically it

Was finding a cooler way to say this the whole time xD

Maelstrom

NES: Metroid
SNES: Chrono Trigger
N64: Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
GCN: Metroid Prime
Wii: Xenoblade Chronicles
Wii U: Mario 3D World? Idk, nothing comes to mind
GB/GBC: Link's Awakening
GBA: Mother 3
DS: Radiant Historia
3DS: Bravely Default
PS1: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
PS2: Idk rn. Maybe Shadow of the Colossus? Maybe Drakengard?
PS3: NieR
PS4: NieR: Automata
PC: To many to decide.
XB/XB360/XBone/PSP/PSV: Not familiar enough with these  consoles to choose any.

How's that for a complete list? I was to lazy to write descriptors for them but I can if someone wants.

edit: Wow, I forgot that sega consoles exist because I know even less about them than the XB line.

swimswamit

NES: Super Mario Bros
SNES: Super Metroid
N64: Ocarina
Gamecube: Wind Waker
Gameboy: Link's Awakening
GBC: Gold and Silver
Wii: Super Paper Mario (Floro Caverns/Sammer's Kingdom) Regardless of opinion on the game, I always though Brawl had some really good tracks too.
DS: Diamond and Pearl (Jubilife City is so good) or PMD:EOS
GBA: Superstar Saga (Hoohoo Village ftw)
PC: Lisa or Undertale, although Fez and Hotline Miami have some good stuff too.

Pretty generic choices, but they're all so good :>

SpartanChief17

NDS: PMD: EoS
Xbox/360/One: Halo, Skyrim, Star Wars Battlefront II (the old one)
Wii: Super Mario Galaxy (the first one)
Spoiler
I am addicted to this song:
[close]

Latios212

Ah gee this is hard. Here's some, excluding Smash games

NES: Kirby's Adventure (or Super Mario Bros. 3)
SNES: can't decide yet
N64: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (or Super Mario 64)
GameCube: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker?
Wii: Super Mario Galaxy (or Kirby's Epic Yarn)
Switch: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (surprise!)
Game Boy: Pokémon Red and Blue
Game Boy Color: Pokémon Gold and Silver
Game Boy Advance: Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire
DS: Pokémon Diamond and Pearl
3DS: can't decide yet

I don't really play games on these systems but anyways
PlayStation: Chrono Cross
PC: Undertale

Quote from: Maelstrom on May 19, 2017, 08:18:22 AMWii U: Mario 3D World? Idk, nothing comes to mind
Wii U: Mario Kart 8 (but that was pretty good too)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

E. Gadd Industries

NES: Super Mario Bros. 3 (like everyone else)
SNES: Super Mario World
N64: Uhhhhh... Mario Kart 64
GB: Dr. Mario
GBA: Wario Land 4
GCN: A draw between Wario World & Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
DS: Pokémon DPPt
Wii: Draw between Kirby's Epic Yarn & Wario Land: Shake It! (Tomoya Tomita FTW!!!)
3DS: Draw between Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon & Mario Golf: World Tour
WiiU: Mario Kart 8
Switch: Super Mario Odyssey Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

As stated above, my favourite VGM composer is hands down Tomoya Tomita
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Latios212

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on May 19, 2017, 04:39:49 PMAs stated above, my favourite VGM composer is hands down Tomoya Tomita
you are a man of good taste
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle