News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

[Wii] Super Paper Mario - "It's Showtime" by Bloop

Started by Zeta, April 24, 2017, 06:06:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeviR.star

All I can say is that I appreciate your contribution to Super Paper Mario, Bloop!
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Sebastian

One thing I'd like to point out in addition to what the others said is that the second last system on the second page is preeeeetty full. Maybe  you could re-arrange the measures a little bit to make that system less cramped.

Maelstrom

Bloop

Bloop

Olimar12345

-Composer/arranger names aren't aligned properly
-This needs to be in 6/8. Like, all of it. It isn't in 3/4 at all.
-I would recommend the use of a D.C. since it returns to the beginning rather than repeats back to an internal spot.

I've checked a lot of the notes and so far things seem accurate. I'll withhold more checking until you get a chance to make the above corrections.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Bloop

I'll get to those fixes tomorrow, but I don't agree that the first half of the song is in 6/8. The electronic percussion beat clearly says 3/4 to me: I hear a snare on every 2nd beat, starting at m. 8. The timpani in the first two bars seem kinda 6/8-y, but that quickly get's countered by the next two bars. The percussion plays a "tsh" sound on beat 3 in bars 1, 3 and 5 and the snare rhythm in bar 6 also plays a 3/4 rhythm.

Olimar12345

The timpani sets it up very clearly. It deviates often with the hits as you mentioned, but that sounds more like a stylistic thing, given how clearly the 6/8 started and was returned to. There's also much more happening on the up beat of 2 (what would be 2 in 6/8) than 3, and because of this 3 feels like a syncopation when it occurs rather than a down beat.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mastersuperfan

I've been trying to hear it both ways, and 6/8 definitely comes a lot easier to me. If I try, I can get myself to hear 0:10 to 0:33 in 3/4, but while listening normally my brain instinctively perceives it as 6/8--and considering that the parts that come before and after that are definitely in 6/8 no matter how hard I try to hear otherwise, I think that the whole piece would best be notated in 6/8.

Quote from: Olimar12345 on August 31, 2017, 01:51:43 PMThe timpani sets it up very clearly. It deviates often with the hits as you mentioned, but that sounds more like a stylistic thing, given how clearly the 6/8 started and was returned to. There's also much more happening on the up beat of 2 (what would be 2 in 6/8) than 3, and because of this 3 feels like a syncopation when it occurs rather than a down beat.

I second this wholeheartedly.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Bloop

i refuse

I feel like the timpani set up is more like a transition from the "previous" 6/8 part back to 3/4, as the song is endlessly repeating.
The part from 0:10 to 0:33 definitely feels and plays like 3/4 for me, and the part from 0:33 to 0:48 has so much anticipation to the 2nd beat (while having almost nothing going on on the upbeat of 2) that it screams 3/4 also

Also, saying the whole song is in 6/8 means saying the first part sounds the same rhythmically as the second part, though I feel the things hinting towards 6/8 are in the minority in the first part, while they are strongly present in the 2nd part.

Olimar12345

Quote from: Bloop on August 31, 2017, 02:15:08 PMI feel like the timpani set up is more like a transition from the "previous" 6/8 part back to 3/4, as the song is endlessly repeating.
The part from 0:10 to 0:33 definitely feels and plays like 3/4 for me, and the part from 0:33 to 0:48 has so much anticipation to the 2nd beat (while having almost nothing going on on the upbeat of 2) that it screams 3/4 also

Not buying that since the piece starts that way before the loop ever happens. It's literally the first thing you hear.

Quote from: Bloop on August 31, 2017, 02:15:08 PMAlso, saying the whole song is in 6/8 means saying the first part sounds the same rhythmically as the second part, though I feel the things hinting towards 6/8 are in the minority in the first part, while they are strongly present in the 2nd part.

Not all 6/8 is the same. The first part is in two, while the second section is in a waltz style. You could argue that the second section would actually do better in 3/8 for that matter.

Bloop

I tried arranging the percussion (which is just as hellish as a piano arrangement) to see what happens in the first part. The first 5 bars are kinda weird, because the percussion itself sounds like it's in 12/16.
m. 1-4
[close]
Bars 6 and 7 are definitely arranged in 3/4 time though.
m. 5-7
[close]
And so are m. 8-15: there's a snare on every 2nd beat and no real accents whatsoever on the upbeat of 2 (what would be the 2 in 6/8) This speaks for m. 16-23 too.
m. 8-15
[close]
For m. 20-23, the bass doesn't really make sense in 6/8 either. Compare m. 20 to m. 21:
m. 20-21
[close]
I confess, m. 24-35 do sound a bit 6/8, though the drums show a more 3/4 kind of pattern, with snares on beat 3 in m. 27-29 and the upbeat bass drum in m. 34-35.
m. 24-35
[close]
The melody and bass do lean towards 6/8 a bit, but the drums show a 3/4 rhythm so consistently, that it'd be wrong in my opinion to display the first part in 6/8.

Aside from that, fixed the other things and updated the layout a bit <3

Bloop

Olimar12345

I wish I had the time to make a longer post, but blanket statement: syncopation and hemiola exist.

If I can I'll post again soon with more info.

Bloop

Couldn't I give the same argument for it being a 6/8 hemiola in a 3/4 time signature?