News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

Happy Tenth Anniversary, Pokémon Diamond and Pearl!

Started by SlowPokemon, April 22, 2017, 07:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which starter did you originally choose in Pokémon Diamond and Pearl?

Turtwig, the Tiny Leaf Pokémon
Chimchar, the Chimp Pokémon
Piplup, the Penguin Pokémon

Dekkadeci

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 29, 2017, 01:01:59 PMI think there was something off with the entire monkey line
Must be all that imitation of Sun Wukong, the Monkey King of Chinese mythology.

On-topic more, I picked Piplup when I played Pokemon Diamond because of its evolutionary line. I'm glad Game Freak did a take on penguin-mons that don't just evolve into bigger penguins--I'm into emperor penguins that are actual emperors.

mikey

unmotivated

FireArrow

well chimchar in the anime was unbearable so there's that
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

DocDoom2

The only starter pokemon that have never really appealed to me are Meganium and Delphox.
Otherwise I like all the others to varying degrees.

Anyhoo, I chose Turtwig for Gen 4 since I usually never choose the grass starter and I really like Torterra. Except it stinks against candice...
The underground really had me hooked for a while too!
Please note I use Musescore and transfer it into Finale Notepad, so formatting may be messed up and help would be appreciated.

cashwarrior1

Quote from: DocDoom2 on April 29, 2017, 09:20:03 PMAnyhoo, I chose Turtwig for Gen 4 since I usually never choose the grass starter and I really like Tortilla.
ftfy

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on April 30, 2017, 06:15:33 AMftfy
You win this thread. Everyone else can go home, try again next time!

In all seriousness, Gen 4 was the first Gen I ever played; my first game was Platinum, but it's still Sinnoh. I just love the games to death & Platinum really made my 5th grade year amazing! Of course, I wasn't all that serious of a gamer even then, so a lot of times my "playing" would be seeing how many circles I could run in the Underground in x time, or trying to see how long it took me to make a lap around a certain place on my bike. But even so, I have great memories of the game. And of course, I started my tradition of always going Grass-type here, and Turtwig and I travelled the world over! (Sorta)
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

cashwarrior1

I remember saving every step when my DS was on red battery life. I don't know why I thought that's what I needed to do, but I did.

AmpharosAndy

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on April 30, 2017, 11:42:32 AMtrying to see how long it took me to make a lap around a certain place on my bike.
Glad to know I wasn't the only one to do this. My favourite thing was to race myself from Celestic Town to Oreburgh. But running around the underground with my sister was great too.
innit

mikey

unmotivated

E. Gadd Industries

Quote from: AmpharosAndy on April 30, 2017, 01:05:18 PMGlad to know I wasn't the only one to do this. My favourite thing was to race myself from Celestic Town to Oreburgh. But running around the underground with my sister was great too.
Mine was from anywhere to Solaceon Town (most of the time); I would always put Pokémon in the daycare & forget about them for a while, and then by the time I got there, I barely had the money to take both occupants out.
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Olimar12345

This generation is special to me. Growing up, we all played gen 1 and 2, but pokemon became sort of "not cool" to still be playing around the gen 3 release. Once gen 4 returned, so did the "fad" of playing pokemon, and it was better than ever: Online trading/battle, no more link cables needed, spectacular new looks and tunes (for the time) and not only all new pokemon, but new evolutions of familiar pokemon. I have countless memories of playing in the underground caves during our study hall period, or after school in the band hall before marching band rehearsal, etc. I'll never forget playing Diamond and Platinum and always starting with turtwig because chimchar was lame and piplup was over-rated! (Ha!). Plus turtles are cool. Can't say I wasn't reminiscing about all of these good memories while writing [this]. This gen is easily one of my favorites.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

DocDoom2

Quote from: Olimar12345 on May 03, 2017, 08:34:09 AMPlus turtles are cool.
You got that right!

(Just still waiting for a platypus pokemon)
Please note I use Musescore and transfer it into Finale Notepad, so formatting may be messed up and help would be appreciated.

Altissimo

Quote from: Olimar12345 on May 03, 2017, 08:34:09 AMThis generation is special to me. Growing up, we all played gen 1 and 2, but pokemon became sort of "not cool" to still be playing around the gen 3 release. Once gen 4 returned, so did the "fad" of playing pokemon

For my people it was HGSS specifically that brought Pokémon back lol. Still gen 4 but different games, I guess. I just remember I didn't know many people who played DP when they came out but when HGSS came out suddenly everyone was bringing their Pokéwalkers to school.

mikey

At my school pokemon was still lame when hgss and bw came out but in high school I started bringing yellow version to school
Gen 6 was about where it became mainstream for mine
unmotivated

BlackDragonSlayer

Quote from: Altissimo on May 03, 2017, 08:51:12 AMFor my people it was HGSS specifically that brought Pokémon back lol. Still gen 4 but different games, I guess. I just remember I didn't know many people who played DP when they came out but when HGSS came out suddenly everyone was bringing their Pokéwalkers to school.
To be honest, with Gen 2 being my favorite generation I was actually really disappointed by HGSS. They should've been more like Black/White... imaging Johto in that style makes me even more disappointed with what we got. BELL TOWER!? SERIOUSLY!? NO CONTESTS!?!!!! THE NERVE! The atmosphere and graphical style just completely got rid of the mysticism, quaintness, and sense of adventure Gen 2 was filled to the brim with.

If I had to do a comprehensive ranking of the Pokemon games, I'd probably do (spacing represents significant jump in quality):
Gold/Silver/Crystal
Black/White
Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
Black 2/White 2

Red/Blue/Yellow
Sun/Moon
FireRed/LeafGreen
Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald

X/Y
HeartGold/SoulSilver
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber