News:

Be sure to tell your friends about NinSheetMusic!

Main Menu

Happy Tenth Anniversary, Pokémon Diamond and Pearl!

Started by SlowPokemon, April 22, 2017, 07:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which starter did you originally choose in Pokémon Diamond and Pearl?

Turtwig, the Tiny Leaf Pokémon
Chimchar, the Chimp Pokémon
Piplup, the Penguin Pokémon

SlowPokemon

Only applies to those of us in the U.S., but hey! It falls comfortably between the Japanese anniversary (September) and the European anniversary (not until July), so it's as good a time as any to commemorate it. I'm pretty sure we have a "five years since Diamond and Pearl" thread somewhere but I think ten years (and that amount of time since the last thread has been used) probably justifies a new topic.

I may have said this before, but while Ruby and Sapphire was the generation I grew up with, and I've played the GBA games countless times, it was Diamond and Pearl that really solidified me as a Pokémaniac. It was the first video game I had ever preordered, and I can still remember going with my brother to get the games on day one (I had Diamond, he had Pearl). It was so long ago that I still had the original DS system--it was beautifully clunky and a dark shade of blue--and I vividly remember starting the game on the car ride home. Old Turtwig and I had our fair share of good times, and it felt like such a real adventure to me at the time. Later on I came to consider the Diamond and Pearl games among the less great entries in the series, because of some poorly-implemented mechanics (so much backtracking and too many HMs to name a couple), but as the first Pokémon title to make the jump to Nintendo DS, it succeeded by and large and set into motion what I believe is the longest Pokémon generation to date, other than perhaps the first one.

So vote about the starters and post some good memories of playing Diamond and Pearl here!
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Dude

Piplup is obviously the best.

Anything else is just wrong.

Latios212

Ah, good times....

I still remember being in elementary school, fifth grade, and playing this with my friends. I started with Pokémon Silver, played Red and Emerald after that, but I didn't have a link cable or anything so DP was the first time I was able to play with other people. Countless hours were spent trading, playing underground tag, exchanging cool tips and tricks about the games (at least, I recall back then these kinds of things were still driven by rumors and word of mouth rather than the internet), and just having a good old time with friends.

And the soundtrack, oh man. As amazing as the GS soundtrack is (which may be my favorite, perhaps because I played it first), it has its limitations and The DP soundtrack resonates with me like no other. Even now I still listen through it regularly, always in fascination.

I still keep the Palkia stylus I got on release by my desk to use sometimes.
Spoiler
[close]
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mikey

This poll has a correct answer
Ninjad
Ninjad by a text wall too
unmotivated

Zeila

I was so disappointed when I found out that tweaked legendaries (shaymin/darkrai) weren't transferable through pokebank. That will always be one of my favorite glitches in pokemon

I think I put the most hours in gen 4 (especially if you include the side games), and I had lots of fun battling with people at school and online friends. The platinum WiFi Plaza was fun too at times

Quote from: Dude on April 22, 2017, 07:45:00 PMPiplup is obviously the best.

Anything else is just wrong.
Agreed

SlowPokemon

LATIOS MY BROTHER AND I HAVE THOSE TOO I HAVE THE DIALGA ONE

SOMEWHERE

WaluigiTime64

My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

InsigTurtle

idk, but i bet only nerds know what pokemon is
and even a nerdier nerd would use a pokemon as their pfp

On a more serious note, I... didn't like any of the gen 4 starters. Which sucks, because I loved the game, but for some reason, none of the starters really resonated with me. And, I know this is super controversial, but I absolutely hate Piplup, just because I hated the way it acted in the anime.

But I remember falling asleep after a long day, listening to the Eterna Forest music. That's probably my best memory of it, since all my best memories involve falling asleep listening to something :P

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 22, 2017, 07:48:00 PMThis poll has a correct answer
Ninjad
Ninjad by a text wall too

It took you three minutes to type six words
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

SlowPokemon

I've warmed up to it quite a bit but I absolutely hated Piplup when I first got the game, and to this day it's the only starter I've never finished the game with

Like now I like it better than Chimchar I guess but at the time I thought Piplup was not very cute and EVERYONE thought it was cute and it was a weird time

But yeah overall I'd agree it's the weakest group starters. Their designs are very "Sinnoh" if that makes any sense like they capture the overall feeling of the generation, but maybe that's not such a great thing when you have 20-30 Pokémon that are just bizarre evolutions or baby Pokémon to go with pre-existing Pokémon

Nebbles

I remember seeing all the info online, since I started following Serebii then... and Piplup was my favorite. Looking back on Sinnoh, I love it much more than I did before. It took me a while to really, really love Sinnoh but now I adore it with all my heart. I like the new evolutions, the region's gorgeous, the music is outstanding... it's just honestly really wonderful.
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

mikey

Quote from: mastersuperfan on April 22, 2017, 08:30:47 PMIt took you three minutes to type six words
I was on mobile and I got a text from my mom and then I got redblocked but it worked out fine
unmotivated

daj

The greatest generation. Sure, the plot wasn't as deep as...um, non-Pokemon games. And Diamond/Pearl had only two Fire-types throughout the whole generation. It was a flawed game.

But holy shite, I loved it. The trek through Route 216 made me love Pokemon forever, even though many games with better gameplay came about throughout the years.

And of course, the soundtrack. If it weren't for this game, I would probably be covering tasteless EDM tracks for my life, so thanks to this great game for everything :)

BlackDragonSlayer

Turtwig > Piplup > Chimchar

My game in Diamond was a shiny magnet. Probably the game where I found the most shinies (except maybe Leaf Green?), including two shiny Ponytas and a shiny Rhydon.

Also, yeah, almost forgot about the lack of Fire types. Who thought that was a good idea, then, on top of that, have a Fire type Elite Four member!!!? It'd also be nice to see some more evolutions of old Pokemon in future generations, though probably not quite to the degree Gen 4 did it i blame eviolite.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber