NSM Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Introducing the new sorting feature on the front page! Sort through sheets alphabetically or chronologically!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [SNES] Kirby Super Star - "King Dedede's Theme" by ThatHiddenCharacter  (Read 445 times)

Static

• Sutra Chanting Yamabiko
  • Updater
  • Ballad of the Belmonts
    • View Profile
    • Animal Crossing Wiki
    • Email

Are there even any others?
Hey, I'm a Kirby fan too! I just don't arrange as much for it. I do have a bunch of Kirby stuff I am working on atm though.

Anyway, about the arrangement; you asked for elaboration on the chords and reworking the accompaniment parts. So, I have an example for you to think about.

While the bassline is a perfect transcription (edited of course for playability), just having a single moving bassline and a single moving melody doesn't really to bring out the (what I think at least) brilliant harmonies of this song, particularly in the last section:

Example

This is what I meant about adding chord tones on some of the longer notes here. In this section, I think you really want those 7ths and 9ths to shine through, and adding them to those notes is a good option. (Feel free to use this version of this section in your sheet btw)
[close]

It's always important to think about making an arrangement, not just a transcription. Think about how you want parts to sound when you actually play them, and maybe try playing this sheet yourself if you have a keyboard or piano readily available. A big part of arranging is experimenting with different ways to achieve the sound you want. While this sheet is perfect from a transcription viewpoint and almost ready to be accepted, I think that creativity and experimentation is what it really needs to get to that next level.

So, I encourage you to try to think of ways to make this arrangement more interesting and fun to play.
~ Static | My Arrangements

ThatHiddenCharacter

• Hyrule Hymn
  • The Green Thunder strikes again!
    • View Profile
    • Email

I didn't know that creativity was that big a role. I thought I was supposed to transcribe. Well, that makes things a lot different now. I do have a keyboard, but I only recently started piano lessons and I'm not very good at playing. I'll work on that stuff some more. Thanks!

Static

• Updater
  • Ballad of the Belmonts
    • View Profile
    • Animal Crossing Wiki
    • Email

I didn't know that creativity was that big a role. I thought I was supposed to transcribe. Well, that makes things a lot different now. I do have a keyboard, but I only recently started piano lessons and I'm not very good at playing. I'll work on that stuff some more. Thanks!

Creativity is important, but remember: don't go overboard. We don't want a remixes or anything, just something that works better for piano vs a bunch of midi instruments.

It's really a sheet-by-sheet basis. Sometimes transcriptions do work well. For example, a lot of Kirby's Adventure stuff is like this. But for sheets like this one for example, you want to be thinking a little more about how you want it to sound when played on a piano.

ThatHiddenCharacter

• Hyrule Hymn
    • View Profile
    • Email

Well, I updated the files with some more stuff. It's better, but I don't know if it's enough. I guess I'll find out.

EDIT: Noticed some format issues and fixed them. Files updated again.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 03:03:25 AM by ThatHiddenCharacter »

AmpharosAndy

• Angel Island Aria
  • English Fish
    • View Profile
    • Email

Two things:

Bars 13-20 RH I can only hear the melody + one harmony note not two, which is what you have written.

The slurs (great name for a band) get a bit messy towards the end. It leaves me unsure as to what they are expressing.
Got 34 seconds? Listen to my 34 second fanfare:
It'd better be 34 seconds, I didn't check
[close]

Static

• Updater
  • Ballad of the Belmonts
    • View Profile
    • Animal Crossing Wiki
    • Email

I actually don't disagree with adding some extra notes to bars 13-20, it makes the sheet a lot less bland.
With that said, the added notes should correspond with the correct chords (in this case Cm, Cm7/Bb, Ab, G), and they currently aren't.

I combed through this sheet again and fixed the harmonies and a couple other things, so feel free to use these updated files:

[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF]

ThatHiddenCharacter

• Hyrule Hymn
    • View Profile
    • Email

Coolio. Thanks for the help, Static! The files have been updated.

LeviR.star

• Metroid March
  • The Game Boi Arranger ~ Game Boy Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Email

Don't you hear the high notes in-between sections of the melody? I thought you could maybe include those.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 23 queries.