[DELETED] [GBA] Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - "Cackletta Battle (Final)" (Replacement) by Supahstar Saga

Started by Zeta, April 17, 2017, 06:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Console: Game Boy Advance
Title: Cackletta Battle (Final)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Supahstar Saga

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

Static

A small tip for the future: include YouTube links to the original song for others to easily check with.

Anyway, good work here overall. Just a few formatting and accidental issues:

- The keychange to Bbm should be at m6, not m18.

- There should be a beam connecting the 16ths on beats 1.25 and 1.75 of m7 and m9.

- When you have the same line played on different notes but with the same intervals, you should generally keep those same intervals. If you look at m10, 12, 14, and 16, you'll notice this is not the case. You should change all the A naturals to a Bbbs in m12, all the D naturals to Ebbs in m14, and all the C naturals to Dbbs in m16.

- m18 & 24 E naturals should be Fbs.

- Watch your accidentals - most of those B naturals, especially on page 2 should be Cbs.

Nice work!

Supahstar Saga

Thinking about what you said about accidentals, I think it may be best to leave the piece without a key signature. There's a vague tonal centre at Bb in the beginning, but it's very chromatic, and the same motifs get transposed around a lot. I think it would actually be more readable without a key signature.

Static

I was thinking the same thing, though starting at m6, the tonality is definitely Bb minor.

It might be best to put the whole piece in Bb minor, or just put the first 6 measures as keyless.

Supahstar Saga

The thing is, going by the logic that the key signature is meant to make sheet music easier to read, I think that having both a lot of flats in the key signature and a lot of accidentals on the staves would be too confusing.

Dudeman

Oh god I forgot that I submitted the one that's on-site right now

This is leagues better already, please fight for its acceptance
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Supahstar Saga

I think I'll just make the whole piece atonal. In my experience playing piano, I think a five-flat key signature + chromatic melody would be a headache.

Static

Very true, I see your point.

If make the whole thing keyless it would help that there's no keysig underneath the accidentals to worry about, however, it would add more accidentals to the page than what are already there.

On the other side of the same coin, there are plenty of songs (including other vgm sheetsand non-vgm sheets) that are written with one keysig all the way through and use accidentals to show any modulations.

Either way is fine in theory, so whichever you feel is more beneficent to the performer. Personally, I think either way has its own benefits.

LeviR.star

Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Maelstrom

You may not like to hear this, but your PDF needs to be created from your finale file. Yes, this does mean your finale file must look a heck of a lot better than it does now. If you can't do what you need to with your version of finale, ask here.

edit: and yes, this does apply to your other arrangement as well.

Supahstar Saga

I was told that the mus was a formality. Also, I really hate the way Finale sheets look. Can't I link a Musescore folder in my signature?

Dudeman

Quote from: Supahstar Saga on April 17, 2017, 07:46:00 PMI was told that the mus was a formality.
whoever told you this needs to burn

While I also personally think MuseScore is vastly superior to Finale, Finale is the software of choice for the site and the .mus is the most important file among the three required for submission. Nothin's stopping you from plugging your MuseScore stuff in your sig, but you're gonna need a decent-at-best .mus if you want to go on site. We have plenty of people willing to help if you need help with it, and a topic to boot.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Supahstar Saga on April 17, 2017, 07:46:00 PMI was told that the mus was a formality. Also, I really hate the way Finale sheets look. Can't I link a Musescore folder in my signature?
You can link a Musescore folder in your signature, but you should either adjust the .mus until it matches the PDF or post in the topic that Dudeman mentioned so someone else can help you do so. You can adjust the .mus manually (this is a lot easier in Finale than Finale Notepad) or keep re-importing updated versions of the MusicXML file into Finale. There's tricky stuff like inserting "<measure-numbering>system</measure-numbering>" within "<print>" tags that you can do more easily with a text editor displaying your intermediate MusicXML file. ("<measure-numbering>system</measure-numbering>" adds a measure number to the first measure of each system, by the way.)

I've had to construct MIDIs from the .mus before, so that's part of why the .mus is the most important file of the 3.

(I'm speaking as a Musescore user who exports MusicXML files and sticks them in Finale Notepad. I'm unable to edit a lot of things in Finale Notepad, such as supporting multiple key signatures and smartly changing the number of measures in a system (i.e. without creating one-measure systems).)

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Dekkadeci on April 17, 2017, 08:41:10 PMI'm unable to edit a lot of things in Finale Notepad, such as supporting multiple key signatures and smartly changing the number of measures in a system (i.e. without creating one-measure systems).
are you sure
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Dekkadeci

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on April 17, 2017, 09:24:33 PMare you sure
Tried changing key signatures in the middle of a blank sample piece in Finale Notepad just now; all I ended up doing was changing the key signature of the entire piece.

Tried deleting measures individually in a blank sample piece in Finale Notepad just now; the last system shrinks from 3 to 2 measures to 1 measure instead of Musescore's better redistribution of measures per system.

Keep in mind that I've got Finale Notepad 2012, and it insists it's already the latest version.