The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

I think I fucked up

I tried to make it decently hard and then it ended up mostly impossible

Okay, four people have submitted guesses so far. More than four people have looked at the whole quiz. There is currently a two-way tie for first.

Scoreboard Update #1
Black = 0 people
Red = 1 person
Orange = 2 people
Yellow = 3 people
Green = 4 people
Blue = 5 people
Purple = 6 people
Pink = 7+ people (lol nothing will make it here)

TOTAL SCOREBOARD:

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  (SR1P)

Elite 4 Series Only:

3  7  9  11  12  14  15  17  22  25  29  (SR1P)

Miscellaneous Games/Series Only:

1  4  5  6  8  10  13  16  18  19  20  21  23  24  26  27  28  30  31  32  33 
[close]

And now, because I think people are in dire need of some hints, I will be posting this:

CONSOLE COUNT
Below is a tally of the number of games on each console in this quiz. Games will only be listed for the console they were first released for, even if they were remade on or ported to another console later. If a game was initially released on multiple consoles at the same time, it will only be listed as MUL. (Note: The following console count does not include the unscored preview of Special Round 1.)

NES - 3
SNES - 4
N64 - 1
GCN - 2
NDS - 6
Wii - 5
3DS - 2
WiiU - 1
PS1 - 1
PC - 5
MUL - 3
[close]
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

mastersuperfan

Stay tuned; an extended/hint quiz version will probably be coming tomorrow or Wednesday (not sure if I'll get around to it tomorrow, so if I have to finish it Wednesday I'll leave my round open Thursday), like I did in my first quiz. They'll count for half a point each if you choose to use it and get more.

Eight people have submitted guesses (or just plain ol' singular guess) now, and 18 out of 33 melodies have been correctly guessed. Among the eight participants who actually recognized anything, the average score is a (oof) 3.25.

Scoreboard Update #2
Black = 0 people
Red = 1 person
Orange = 2 people
Yellow = 3 people
Green = 4 people
Blue = 5 people
Purple = 6 people

TOTAL SCOREBOARD:

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  (SR1P)

Elite 4 Series Only:

2  3  7  9  11  12  14  15  17  22  25  29  (SR1P)

[close]

As I customarily give, here are the top scores on each of the E4 series, not including the preview of Special Round 1 (and also not including Miscellaneous because that's like most of the quiz):
  • Four people have 1 out of 3 Mario melodies.
  • One person has 1 out of 3 Kirby melodies. (Where's Levi when you need him?)
  • Three people have 1 out of 3 Pokémon melodies.
  • One person has 2 out of 3 Zelda melodies.
Of these four main series, one has been guessed out completely, two have had two out of three guessed, and one has had only one out of three guessed (lol, I wonder which one that is).

And now for some assorted thoughts (with some small hints) on the ones nobody has guessed:

Random Unguessed Melody Comments
  • #6: There are at least two people who should definitely know this one. It's a game that's been used in quizzes multiple times before, too. It's a little tricky, but I'm rather surprised nobody has it... The next four measures are the exact same as the four I've transcribed.
  • #7: (E4) Maybe one of the more difficult ones in here, but it's bothering some people. The melody I transcribed loops twice, but the underlying chords are different the second time.
  • #8: Iconic, or so I thought. I don't think anyone here has played the game it was originally from, though (I haven't).
  • #10: This game has never been used in a quiz before, but I know a few people who have played it. Wish they knew it, but it's not extremely surprising that they missed it (especially compared to other melodies...). The melody loops a second time with slight variations.
  • #12: (E4) Has appeared in more than one game in the same series. Was hoping people could get it off other games, if not the original. Maybe not. The melody cuts off after the part I transcribed.
  • #15: (E4) I thought this one should've been guessed a long time ago, but it might be the short length screwing people over. The next four measures have the exact same rhythmic pattern, though the notes aren't the same.
  • #18: Nobody has this one? Color me surprised... If I of all people know this track I thought others would too. This game has been used numerous times in quizzes before... although, admittedly, it hasn't always been recognized.
  • #24: This game has been used in previous quizzes and multiple people have recognized the melody every time. Except now, of course >.>
  • #25: (E4) This is a track that you hear a lot during the game, but... whether or not people actually remember it appears to be a different story.
  • #26: Next four measures are the same. I guess this just isn't a very memorable track.
  • #27: Kind of an obscure/self-indulgent one, but I was hoping someone would get it. Probably not though :(
  • #28: Well-known game, obscure track. Not sure why I would know this over everyone else, though...
  • #30: O_O
  • #32: Self-indulgent one, and one of my favorite VGMs of all time. This was in fact originally slated to be in my very first melody quiz.
  • #33: See #18: "If I of all people know this track I thought others would too." Then again, it's not quite in-line with NSM's tastes, but... I don't know anything about the series either yet I've still heard of this track, sooo...
  • Preview of SR1: (E4) I would like to think that nobody's submitted a guess for this melody because they don't actually think they're supposed to submit a guess, because people should definitely know this one... Again, a game that has been used on quizzes multiple times before, and they've been guessed every time. Except now
[close]
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

ThatHiddenCharacter

Sorry about being late, but here are the answers to my quiz!

Melodies

#1 Super Mario 3D World - Fort Fire Bros.
Guessed by: Diedman, msf, Wah, Static

#2 Mario Party Advance - Title Screen
Guessed by: Diedman, msf

#3 Banjo-Tooie - Glitter Gulch Mine
Guessed by: Diedman, msf, Wah

#4 Metroid Prime - Thardus Battle

#5 WarioWare: Smooth Moves - Tomorrow Hill

#6 Banjo-Tooie - Cloud Cuckooland
Guessed by: Diedman, msf, Wah

#7 Secret of Mana - Danger
Guessed by: Diedman, msf, Static

#8 Pokémon: Black and White - N's Bridge

#9 Super Monkey Ball - Underwater
Guessed by: Diedman, msf, Static

#10 Super Princess Peach - Ladida Plains 2
[close]

Theme
The theme was songs that have been used previously and had gotten no guesses. And to make you feel even worse about yourself, I used the exact same sections that had been used. I also found out #7 had been used 3 times in the past, none of them ever getting guesses.
[close]

Winner(s)!
Diedman and msf tie with 15 points each! They got perfect scores! That hasn't happened since the beginning of this game being a thing!
[close]
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

mastersuperfan

So you know how I said there was going to be no hint system? I changed my mind.

THE HINT SYSTEM
Unlike my previous quizzes, you won't be able to ask for a single melody. Instead, you will pick five melodies that you haven't gotten correct yet, and I'll reply to you with the consoles of origin for those five games, in a randomized order. (See the earlier Console Count section for my rules on consoles of origin.)

Since this probably won't be enough to raise scores significantly, you'll still be seeing that easy version sometime later, where melodies will count for half-credit only.

Dekkadeci

Here are the answers to my latest quiz:

"Choco Mountain"/"Choco Mountain & Battle Arenas (Block Fort & Double Deck)", from Mario Kart 64, used as a racetrack theme and a multiplayer battle stage theme
Timestamp: 0:00

I always thought this theme was a bundle of fun, and it seems some of you thought so, too.

3 out of 5 people got this correct.
People who got this correct
mastersuperfan, Static, Trasdegi
[close]
[close]

"Necrofantasia", from Touhou Youyoumu ~ Perfect Cherry Blossom, used as Yukari's boss theme
Timestamp: 0:01

None of you got "Necrofantasia" the last time I put it in a Guess-That-Song Quiz, so this time, I picked its very first theme and hoped some of you would recognize it this time.

I mean, all those black MIDIs of it must make it famous or at least meme-tastic, right?

...Right?

...Well, at least someone recognized it this time....

1 out of 5 people got this correct.
Static
[close]
[close]

"Thundersnail", from Undertale, used as a minigame theme
Timestamp: 0:00

I thought the first 4 bars only would be too tricky, so I added the next 4 to this melody. At this point, I wasn't 100% sure which line was the melody, so I included both lines.

Dudeman, mastersuperfan, ThatHiddenCharacter
[close]
[close]

"Theme of a Tragedic Revenge"/"Theme of a Tragic Revenge", from NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, used as one of Reala's boss themes
Timestamp: 0:15

Actually, all of Reala's boss themes sound pretty good in general, IMO.

I thought this melody's chromatic mediant leanings were distinctive enough to remember, so I put this melody in this quiz. Besides, I've heard two different arrangers remix this theme already....

0 out of 5 people got this correct.
[close]
[close]

"Bowser Castle", from Mario Kart: Super Circuit, used as a racetrack theme
Timestamp: 0:01

I first heard of this VGM theme when Jonny Atma released his GaMetal remix of it. I was surprised how much like generic heavy metal his remix sounded (I can normally tell that the original VGM themes aren't in the heavy metal genre).

2 out of 5 people got this correct.
Dudeman, mastersuperfan
[close]
[close]

"Super Ability"/"Bring On the Super Ability", from Kirby's Return to Dream Land, used as a power-up theme
Timestamp: 0:06

You can hear some E minor versions of this theme later in the game.

I can't believe I can't find whether GilvaSunner also ripped a video for this song. Is this version even in this game's OST?

mastersuperfan, ThatHiddenCharacter
[close]
[close]

"In the Halls of the Usurper (Pridemoor Keep)", from Shovel Knight, used as a stage theme

This being one of the most famous Shovel Knight songs, I only used 4 bars' worth in this quiz.

mastersuperfan
[close]
[close]

"Battle! Elite Four"/"Battle! (Elite Four)"/"Elite Four Battle", from Pokemon Black and Pokemon White, used as a boss theme

This is one of the better Elite Four themes, IMO (put it this way--I played Pokemon Diamond and beat its Elite Four several times, some of them with the sound on, and I still can't remember their theme).

So yeah, I put it in a quiz since this melody is easier to transcribe than some other Pokemon songs I recognize.

Dudeman, mastersuperfan, Trasdegi
[close]
[close]

"Boss Battle 1", from Chrono Trigger
Timestamp: 0:31

Yup, my melody was the last 4 bars of this theme. (OK, I saw a transcription where this was split into more than 4 bars.)

I find this theme rather dissonant, anyway, so I didn't want to transcribe too much of it. These bars are some of the most consonant in the entire theme....

mastersuperfan, Static
[close]
[close]

"The Master!"/"Master Battle", from Paper Mario, used as an optional boss theme
Timestamp: 0:14

The loop for this song is only 12 bars long, so I didn't want to transcribe any more than 4 bars for this quiz.

Static
[close]
[close]

"Megaton Punch", from Kirby Super Star, used as a minigame theme
Timestamp: 0:21

I actually ripped this melody directly from an old (and somewhat thin-sounding) piano transcription of mine. Given how much better my less faithful piano arrangement of this song sounds, I currently doubt I'll ever submit that transcription to NinSheetMusic, though feel free to convince me otherwise...

The key signatures of this piece get confusing at times, and I'm tentative on whether this melody is actually in E flat major with minor-key leanings.

mastersuperfan
[close]
[close]

"Tango of the Troupple King", from Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows
Timestamp: 0:09

Possibly the most famous song in Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows, and it's a great one, too.

For those people who say this melody sounds rather like "Spin Ye Bottle" from the original Shovel Knight, I wonder who everyone in that series is taking their dancing lessons from....

mastersuperfan, Static
[close]
[close]

Results
mastersuperfan wins with 9 melodies correct!

# of Melodies Participants Got Correct:
  • mastersuperfan: 9
  • Static: 5
  • Dudeman: 3
  • ThatHiddenCharacter: 2
  • Trasdegi: 2

If you're wondering how Dudeman did so poorly this time, apparently his faulty memory might have gotten him 4 more songs.
[close]

LeviR.star

Man, I should have done this one; I would have gotten at least 5 correct.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

mastersuperfan

Quote from: LeviR.star on September 18, 2017, 04:28:29 PMMan, I should have done this one; I would have gotten at least 5 correct.

Why not do mine, then?

Quote from: mastersuperfan on September 18, 2017, 11:18:07 AM
  • One person has 1 out of 3 Kirby melodies. (Where's Levi when you need him?)

As another note regarding my quiz, I'm somewhat debating whether or not this Easy version will actually count for points or if it'll just be a fun little bonus game that doesn't count for the official round before I post the answers, but in the latter case answers for the Easy round would still be accepted and tallied separately.

Dudeman

Quote from: Dekkadeci on September 18, 2017, 04:20:52 PM
"In the Halls of the Usurper (Pridemoor Keep)", from Shovel Knight, used as a stage theme

This being one of the most famous Shovel Knight songs, I only used 4 bars' worth in this quiz.

mastersuperfan
[close]
[close]
GAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWD FUCKING DAMMIT
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mastersuperfan

I'm late, aren't I?

Sorry about that. I pulled an all-nighter two nights ago and crashed hard last afternoon. Which means you never saw me finish the easy version I was planning on doing, but oh well.

As far as the quiz goes... let's not try this again, shall we?

Random stuff by series before I get into the answers and results:

Average Score: 3.44 (10.4%)

Number of Melodies Correctly Guessed: 18 out of 33 (54.5%)

Games guessed correctly by Elite 4 series:
  • Two of the Mario ones were guessed, one by two people and one by three people.
  • Only one of the Kirby ones was guessed, but by two people.
  • All three of the Pokémon ones were guessed, each by one person.
  • Two of the Zelda ones were guessed, one by one person and one by three people.
Games guessed correctly by console:
  • NES: 2/3
  • SNES: 3/4
  • N64: 0/1
  • GCN: 1/2
  • NDS: 3/6
  • Wii: 4/5
  • 3DS: 2/2
  • WiiU: 0/1 (sad)
  • PS1: 1/1
  • PC: 1/5 (what, like, how)
  • MUL: 1/3

Scoreboard (Final)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1 person
Orange = 2 people
Yellow = 3 people
Green = 4 people
Blue = 5 people
Purple = 6 people

TOTAL SCOREBOARD:

Elite 4 Series Only:

2  3  7  9  11  12  14  15  17  22  25  29  (SR1P)

[close]

ANSWERS!
#1 (3/9)
"Dark Man Stage" - [NES] Mega Man V

Timestamp: 0:37 - 0:42

with kazoos

Guessed by: 
[close]

#2 (1/9) (E4: Zelda #1)
"Demon Train" - [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

Timestamp: 0:22 - 0:30

Guessed by: 
[close]

#3 (2/9) (E4: Mario #1)
"Moonview Highway" - [Wii] Mario Kart Wii

Timestamp: 0:30 - 0:38

Quote from: WaluigiTime64#3 is moonview highway aka ptsd

Quote from: Staticugh 3 is still killing me
ive been thinking about it all day lol

Guessed by: 
[close]

#4 (2/9)
"Black Omen" - [SNES] Chrono Trigger

Timestamp: 1:05 - 1:11

Quote from: MaelstromI'm getting this one if it kills me

Guessed by: 
[close]

#5 (4/9)
"The Dark Blowhole" - [PC] Touhou Chireiden ~ Subterranean Animism

Timestamp: 0:35 - 0:41

QuoteWaluigiTime64: #5 is the windhole thing from SA aka ptsd
mastersuperfan: dark blowhole ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
WaluigiTime64: dank blowhole

QuoteMaelstrom: This is hilarious
Maelstrom: We've hit the point where touhou of all things is the most guesseed
Maelstrom: \e
mastersuperfan: ikr lol
Maelstrom: even when it's not even a big song

Guessed by: 
[close]

#6 (0/9)
"Predestined Fate" - [PC] VVVVVV

Timestamp: 1:23 - 1:31

Do as I say... not as I do NO NOT STRAIGHT INTO THE SPIKES YOU SON OF A--

Guessed by: :(
[close]

#7 (0/9) (E4: Mario #2)
"Motley Bossblob" - [WiiU] Super Mario 3D World

Timestamp: 0:30 - 0:37

fuckin' Boss Blitz 500-second time limit

Quote from: StaticGAH
7 sounds
I KNOW IT

Quote from: Dudeman on September 17, 2017, 10:16:42 PM#7: Agh I know this one

Quote from: WaluigiTime64also odds on the remaining mario melody being from 3d world lol

[close]

#8 (0/9)
"Theme of Bayonetta - Mysterious Destiny" - [MUL] Bayonetta

Timestamp: 0:00 - 0:07

Also in:

Literally called "Theme of Bayonetta." Smash popularity didn't help a lick, I guess.

[close]

#9 (3/9) (E4: Zelda #2)
"Ganondorf Battle" - [GCN] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Timestamp: 0:06 - 0:12

QuoteNocturneOfShadow: So I can definitely snap off ganondorf battle from ww
NocturneOfShadow: Ezpz
mastersuperfan: yep
mastersuperfan: I thought that one would be really easy but only two others got it
NocturneOfShadow: Wat
mastersuperfan: yeah
NocturneOfShadow: Most iconic boss themes
NocturneOfShadow: It makes the list
mastersuperfan: that's what I thought
mastersuperfan: apparently not

Guessed by: 
[close]

#10 (0/9)
"Tyrell Badd ~ The Truth Isn't Sweet" - [NDS] Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth

Timestamp: 0:45 - 0:56

Also in: [NDS] Gyakuten Kenji 2

Detective Baddass

Quote from: Dudeman on September 17, 2017, 10:16:42 PM#10: Agh I know this one

QuoteInsigTurtle: letsee no gameboy games
InsigTurtle: sad
mastersuperfan: oh true
InsigTurtle: that means if there are any ace attorney melodies i won't get them
mastersuperfan: that is a fact
InsigTurtle: if only that one melody was there, i'd be able to get it wriiiiiiiiiiiight
mastersuperfan: [1:38 AM] InsigTurtle: doot - dooooooooooooooo
doot- do - doooooooooooo
InsigTurtle: ahhhh
InsigTurtle: stooop

[close]

#11 (1/9) (E4: Pokémon #1)
"Battle! (Team Skull Boss)" - [3DS] Pokémon Sun & Moon

Timestamp: 0:41 - 0:50

IT'S YA BOI

NOW WITH KAZOOS

Guessed by: 
[close]

#12 (0/9) (E4: Kirby #1)
"Machine Passage" - [GCN] Kirby Air Ride

Timestamp: 0:34 - 0:46

Also in: [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot

0:58 Yawww eee yawww eee yawww eee yawww eee yawww

Yawwweee yawwweee yawwweee yawwweee yaaaaawwwwwwwaaawwwww

Quote from: Latios212 on September 14, 2017, 12:37:19 PMAir Ride though D:

AIR RIDE THO D:

[close]

#13 (1/9)
"Dark Wastes" - [3DS] Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest

Timestamp: 0:51 - 1:02

dank wastes

Lunatic/Classic Chapter 10 tho

Guessed by: 
[close]

#14 (1/9) (E4: Pokémon #2)
"Dark Wasteland" - [NDS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky

Timestamp: 0:52 - 1:00

dank wasteland

Guessed by: 
[close]

#15 (0/9) (E4: Kirby #2)
"Dark Star" - [N64] Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards

Timestamp: 0:12 - 0:18

Also in: [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot

dank star

[close]

#16 (1/9)
"The Dark Star" - [SNES] Secret of Mana

Timestamp: 0:00 - 0:11

the dank star

Guessed by: 
[close]

#17 (3/9) (E4: Mario #3)
"Fight Against Smithy, Who Likes Transforming" - [SNES] Super Mario RPG

Timestamp: 0:31 - 0:37

Fun fact: Smithy has an attack called Dank Dark Star.

Took me nine quizzes to use SMRPG. Wow

Guessed by: 
[close]

#18 (0/9)
"Moonsong" - [PC] Cave Story

Timestamp: 1:01 - 1:09

Quote from: Dudeman on September 17, 2017, 10:16:42 PM#18: Agh I know this one

[close]

#19 (1/9)
"Flat Zone 2" - [Wii] Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Timestamp: 0:26 - 0:38

QuoteMaelstrom: 19 isn't oh my
mastersuperfan: wut now
mastersuperfan: Undertale Oh My?
Maelstrom: from undertale
Maelstrom: yes
mastersuperfan: I almost forgot that existed
mastersuperfan: holy crap that's really similar
Maelstrom: give me points
mastersuperfan: noooo

Guessed by: 
[close]

#20 (1/9)
"Shadowlord" - [MUL] NieR

Timestamp: 2:54 - 3:08

Also in: [3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (DLC)

#Theatrhythm

Quote from: MaelstromYESSSSSSSSSSSSS SHADOWLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRDDDDDDD

Guessed by: 
[close]

#21 (1/9)
"Transylvania" - [NES] DuckTales

Timestamp: 0:23 - 0:30

Also in: [MUL] DuckTales Remastered

DankTales

Quote from: WaluigiTime64#21 is that transylvania place aka please don't send me here a fourth time

Guessed by: 
[close]

#22 (2/9) (E4: Kirby #3)
"Tube Town" - [Wii] Kirby's Epic Yarn

Timestamp: 1:55 - 2:03

Thought this would be the hardest Kirby one. Maybe not.

Guessed by: 
[close]

#23 (1/9)
"Gothic Neclord" - [PS1] Suikoden II

Timestamp: 0:30 - 0:36

Go with this right now. I'm serious. Watch it.

Kind of an indulgent one, since I didn't think anyone would get it. Thankfully someone did.

Guessed by: 
[close]

#24 (0/9)
"Brainiac Maniac" - [PC] Plants vs. Zombies

Timestamp: 1:03 - 1:11

This is like the best theme from the game but I guess people only ever cared for Loonboon and Grasswalk, sad

Was hoping the GaMetal remix might've helped. Maybe not.

[close]

#25 (0/9) (E4: Zelda #3)
"Twilight Realm" - [Wii] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Timestamp: 0:00 - 0:15

Also accepted: "Palace of Twilight"

Also in: [3DS] My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

All those hours spent playing Picross...

[close]

#26 (0/9)
"A Ghastly Site" - [NES] EarthBound Beginnings

Timestamp: 0:16 - 0:25

spoopy

[close]

#27 (0/9)
"Déjà Vu" - [NDS] The World Ends With You

Timestamp: 0:40 - 0:55

NO, NOT THAT DEJA VU

[close]

#28 (0/9)
"Dog Shrine" - [PC] Undertale

Timestamp: 0:33 - 0:40

What in dognation

[close]

#29 (1/9) (E4: Pokémon #3)
"Black City" - [NDS] Pokémon Black & White Versions

Timestamp: 0:15 - 0:31

Also in: [NDS] Pokémon Black 2 & White 2 Versions

Quote from: Trasdegi on September 18, 2017, 04:37:21 AM#29: Pokémon Black / black 2: black city (Black I made a black arrangement of it a black month ago black) (so much black)

QuoteMaelstrom: 29 is not steins;gate reeeeee
mastersuperfan: what
mastersuperfan: no
Maelstrom: The first 2 meaures are basically gate of steiner
QuoteMaelstrom: https://youtu.be/qft44yIJ6_M?t=50s
Maelstrom: This will stop me from ever getting 29

QuoteStatic: 29 too
Static: omg
Static: i think
Static: i think i know 29
mastersuperfan: did you get one
Static: i just need to make sure
Static: bc i might be off
Static: it sounds like botw i think
Static: i tihnk
Static: its some village theme
mastersuperfan: IS IT???
Static: idk thats what im checking now
Static: AAAAAAA
Static: no
Static: no
Static: sad

Guessed by: 
[close]

#30 (0/9)
"Maridia (Swampy Caverns)" - [SNES] Super Metroid

Timestamp: 0:08 - 0:21

O.o

[close]

#31 (2/9)
"Working Dough" - [Wii] Rhythm Heaven Fever

Timestamp: 1:15 - 1:22

Also accepted: "Remix 10"

Also in: [3DS] Rhythm Heaven Megamix

Guessed by: 
[close]

#32 (0/9)
"The Final Battle" - [NDS] Professor Layton and the Last Specter

Timestamp: 0:22 - 0:29

Violins > everything else

The Layton games are great. Go play them.

[close]

#33 (0/9)
"Here's to You" - [MUL] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Timestamp: 0:50 - 1:07

Would've made a great inclusion on Dekka's bonus section of songs strongly associated with video games that did not originate from them. If somebody actually knew it, that is...

[close]

SR1 Preview (0/9) (E4: Mario)
"Flip-Swap Galaxy" - [Wii] Super Mario Galaxy 2

Timestamp: 0:02 - 0:21

So I was going to keep this a secret until the next round (not that I was going to use it on there), but nobody got it anyways, so I figured I might as well reveal it. The title of the next round will be Special Round 1: Flip-Swap Galaxy. (Except there's not actually any flipping, or swapping, or galaxying, but it's still relevant, trust me.)

[close]
[close]

Scores by Elite 4 Series

Mario (3)
WaluigiTime64 (2)
Dudeman, InsigTurtle, Static (1)
Deku Trombonist, Latios212, Maelstrom, NocturneOfShadow, Trasdegi (0)

Average Score: 0.56 (18.5%)
[close]

Kirby (3)
Dudeman, Static (1)
Deku Trombonist, InsigTurtle, Latios212, Maelstrom, NocturneOfShadow, Trasdegi, WaluigiTime64 (0)

Average Score: 0.22 (7.4%)
[close]

Pokémon (3)
Dudeman, InsigTurtle, Trasdegi (1)
Deku Trombonist, Latios212, Maelstrom, NocturneOfShadow, Static, WaluigiTime64 (0)

Average Score: 0.33 (11.1%)
[close]

Zelda (3)
Dudeman (2)
Maelstrom, NocturneOfShadow (1)
Deku Trombonist, InsigTurtle, Latios212, Static, Trasdegi, WaluigiTime64 (0)

Average Score: 0.44 (14.8%)
[close]
[close]

Overall Scores and Statistics
AND THE WINNER IS...
We have a tie!
Congratulations to DUDEMAN and MAELSTROM for winning together with a score of 7 points!

And congratulations to WaluigiTime64 for almost winning with a score of 6 points! So close...
[close]
[close]

Score List
WINNERS: Dudeman, Maelstrom (7)
WaluigiTime64 (6)
Static (4)
InsigTurtle (3)
Deku Trombonist, Latios212, NocturneOfShadow, Trasdegi (1)

Average Score: 3.44 (10.4%)
[close]

Melodies per Participant
Deku Trombonist (1): 16
Dudeman (7): 1, 2, 3, 9, 11, 19, 22
InsigTurtle (3): 5, 14, 17
Latios212 (1): 31
Maelstrom (7): 1, 4, 5, 9, 13, 20, 23
NocturneOfShadow (1): 9
Static (4): 4, 5, 17, 22
Trasdegi (1): 29
WaluigiTime64 (6): 1, 3, 5, 17, 21, 31
[close]

Participants per Melody
#1: Dudeman, Maelstrom, WaluigiTime64 (3)
#2: Dudeman (1)
#3: Dudeman, WaluigiTime64 (2)
#4: Maelstrom, Static (2)
#5: InsigTurtle, Maelstrom, Static, WaluigiTime64 (4)
#6: (0)
#7: (0)
#8: (0)
#9: Dudeman, Maelstrom, NocturneOfShadow (3)
#10: (0)
#11: Dudeman (1)
#12: (0)
#13: Maelstrom (1)
#14: InsigTurtle (1)
#15: (0)
#16: Deku Trombonist (1)
#17: InsigTurtle, Static, WaluigiTime64 (3)
#18: (0)
#19: Dudeman (1)
#20: Maelstrom (1)
#21: WaluigiTime64 (1)
#22: Dudeman, Static (2)
#23: Maelstrom (1)
#24: (0)
#25: (0)
#26: (0)
#27: (0)
#28: (0)
#29: Trasdegi (1)
#30: (0)
#31: Latios212, WaluigiTime64 (2)
#32: (0)
#33: (0)
Preview of SR1: (0)
[close]
[close]

All right now let's pretend that never happened and move on

Dekkadeci

For the matter, I don't think I ever played the final boss fight of Plants vs. Zombies with the sound on, and after listening to its GaMetal remix, all I remember is its starting melody. Oh, and the theme is too mild for my (especially final boss theme) tastes, and I find its use of funk a bit weird.

Loonboon all the way!

ThatHiddenCharacter

I know all the themes from PvZ except the final boss. So yeah.

Dudeman

WELL GODDAMMIT I KNEW #7 WAS FROM MARIO 3D WORLD I KNEW IT I KNEW IT I KNEW IT
AGH FUCK I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED BEST BAD DETECTIVE
This quiz took a dank dark turn at #12
I actually found #18 late last night and was super upset I didn't recognize it earlier, but I didn't get my answer in in time :( I COULDA WON OUTRIGHT
The fact that I did not recognize #25 at all, let alone miss it entirely, is concerning, but separated from all the ambient background instrumentation, it sounds pretty generic
DÉJÀ VU, I'VE JUST BEEN IN THIS PLACE BEFOREMarking Dog Shrine as [PC] is misleading, as it's only part of the PS4 version

Holy crap, Deku participated? That's new.
Congrats Mael
Not congrats, MSF, what even was this quiz
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Dudeman on September 21, 2017, 10:14:24 AMMarking Dog Shrine as [PC] is misleading, as it's only part of the PS4 version

It's in the files for the PC version too. I decided to leave it as [PC] because that's how everyone thinks of Undertale anyway; the alternative would've been to mark it as [MUL] because of both the PS4 and PSVita versions which, well, probably would've been more problematic and unhelpful than necessary...

Quote from: Dudeman on September 21, 2017, 10:14:24 AMHoly crap, Deku participated? That's new.

You must not have been paying attention for a long time

ThatHiddenCharacter

Just posting to say that whoever runs the schedule now should take me off as a normal host and get rid of any future quiz dates for me. I love this game, but hosting has lost its spark for me, and it's a pretty big hassle nowadays, with school and personal life and everything. I do still plan on participating in other people's quizzes, though, because this is definitely a great game. Except when people do what msf did. Or what I did.

Static

lol I'm a day late but here it is, the moment you've all been waiting for:

Static's Miscellaneous Melody Quiz X (Round 76)
[.MID] [.MUS] [.MUSX] [.PDF]

This time it's just a normal quiz. No gimmicks or anything, just some nice melodies.

Also, since this is a day late, I'll also post the answers a day late so you guys have the same amount of time. And if you're wondering where my 8th melody quiz is, you'll just have to wait. I'll post it eventually...

IMPORTANT EDIT/NOTE THING IDK:
The "A" & "B" melodies for #10 and #20 are not related in any way, so don't let that confuse you. I just wanted an even 20 melodies so I used 2 short ones in place of one longer one.