News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

Wow, and I thought my next quiz was hard

Oh wait, that's because it really is
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

mastersuperfan

Oh, also

Don't you love it when bugged Finale playback screws you over from getting a melody you know by heart
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

Friendly reminder that my quiz is ending soon; I'll be posting results in a few hours (or whenever I get around to it).
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

ThatHiddenCharacter

And it's time for my quiz. I an going to put the links under this, but keep reading because I have some important stuff under it.
[MID] [MUS] [PDF] [MUSX]

Y'all are gonna hate me for this quiz. But, I am gonna give ya some goodness with it. There is a theme for this quiz and a correct guess of the theme results in 5 points. Trust me, you'll need it. Anyway, I believe that's it. Oh wait, knowing the theme of the quiz will pretty much greatly increase your chances of success on the quiz. Good luck!
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

mastersuperfan

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mikey

unmotivated

Latios212

Sorry for the delay - here are the results from my quiz! Hope you enjoyed playing!

#1 (0/8)
Loading Screen - Poképark Wii: Pikachu's Adventure
Timestamp: 0:00
No one guessed this correctly :(

A perfectly innocent little melody - though its origin is obscure, I feel like once you hear it, you can't unhear it. Too bad no one got it...
Quote from: mastersuperfan#1 kind of sort of makes me think of Yoshi for some reason
SMW2 specifically
is it the Ending theme
....No.
[close]
#2 (1/8)
Main Theme - Xenoblade Chronicles
Timestamp: 1:27 (recurring)
Maelstrom guessed this correctly

Bah. Only Mael knows this masterpiece?
[close]
#3 (1/8)
Secret Shop - Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Maelstrom guessed this correctly

Hopefully also recognizable from the more recent Awakening and Fates versions.
[close]
#4 (2/8)
Ending - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Timestamp: 0:10
mastersuperfan and WaluigiTime64 people guessed this correctly

Super underrated ending theme. dammitKudos to MSF for accidentally stumbling upon this one, and Wah for actually knowing it.

Quote from: DudemanIronic4lly, #4 is the only one th4t is driving me cr4zy. Well done.
[close]
#5 (4/8)
Hyrule Field - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Timestamp: 1:52
mastersuperfan, ThatHiddenCharacter, Maelstrom, and Dudeman guessed this correctly

This song is so long I lost the timestamp and made MSF find it for me.
[close]
#6 (1/8)
Dearly Beloved - Kingdom Hearts
Dudeman people guessed this correctly

If there's one Kingdom Hearts song to know, it's this one (I think)...
[close]
#7 (5/8)
Prelude - Final Fantasy
mastersuperfan, Dekkadeci, Maelstrom, WaluigiTime64, and Dudeman guessed this correctly

good ol' 1-voice track
[close]
#8 (7/8)
Green Hill Zone - Sonic the Hedgehog
Timestamp: 0:15
mastersuperfan, ThatHiddenCharacter, Maelstrom, WaluigiTime64, Static, Dudeman, and Trasdegi guessed this correctly

Sanity check #1. Almost everyone got it...
[close]
#9 (3/8)
Battle! (Super-Ancient Pokémon) - Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire
Timestamp: 0:25
mastersuperfan, WaluigiTime64, and Dudeman guessed this correctly

Pretty memorable battle theme from gen 3.
[close]
#10 (5/8)
Chase the Bunnies! - Super Mario Galaxy
Timestamp: 0:29
mastersuperfan, ThatHiddenCharacter, WaluigiTime64, Static, and Dudeman guessed this correctly

Good on the majority of you for knowing the Super Mario Galaxy soundtrack this well.
[close]
#11 (2/8)
Orange Ocean - Kirby's Adventure
mastersuperfan and Static guessed this correctly

Quote from: mastersuperfanit's not Onion Ocean either right
Quote from: mastersuperfanI thought it was Olive Ocean from Amazing Mirror for a second but that wasn't it either
MSF did not deserve this point either. :3
[close]
#12 (4/8)
Tal Tal Heights - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Timestamp: 0:19
mastersuperfan, ThatHiddenCharacter, Maelstrom, and Static guessed this correctly
[close]
#13 (1/8)
Fantasy Meadows - Kirby Air Ride
Timestamp: 0:03
mastersuperfan guessed this correctly

Air Ride though D:
[close]
#14 (2/8)
Bein' Friends - Mother (EarthBound Beginnings)
Timestamp: 0:37
WaluigiTime64 and Dudeman guessed this correctly

I can never get enough of some of the EarthBound series` singable melodies. They're just so good. Apparently it gives off that Mother vibe too.

Quote from: mastersuperfandon't know #14 atm but slight Mother vibe
Quote from: Dekkadeci#14 reminds me of Earthbound-series music for some reason.
[close]
#15 (7/8)
Menu 2 - Super Smash Bros. Melee
Timestamp: 0:38
mastersuperfan, ThatHiddenCharacter, Dekkadeci, Maelstrom, Static, Dudeman, and WaluigiTime64 guessed this correctly

Sanity check #2. Almoooost everyone, again...
[close]
#16 (3/8)
Peaceful Days - Chrono Trigger
Timestamp: 0:30
mastersuperfan, Maelstrom, and Static people guessed this correctly
[close]

Scores!
mastersuperfan - 11
Dudeman - 8
Maelstrom - 8
Static - 7
WaluigiTime64 - 6
ThatHiddenCharacter - 5
Dekkadeci - 2
Trasdegi - 1
[close]

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Trasdegi

The only game I played there is galaxy blame me if you want

mastersuperfan

Dudeman

Quote from: Latios212 on September 14, 2017, 12:37:19 PM
#4 (2/8)
Ending - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Timestamp: 0:10
mastersuperfan and WaluigiTime64 people guessed this correctly

Super underrated ending theme. dammitKudos to MSF for accidentally stumbling upon this one, and Wah for actually knowing it.
[close]
Well, at least I was correct in my (unposted) assumption that this was, in fact a Mario credits theme. I'm happy that somehow, I knew that much.
#6 (1/8)
Dearly Beloved - Kingdom Hearts
Dudeman people guessed this correctly

If there's one Kingdom Hearts song to know, it's this one (I think)...
[close]
hello my name is "Dudeman people"
Also yeah this is the one KH piece I know
...except for The Thirteenth Struggle since Tsuko did a cover of that
#11 (2/8)
Orange Ocean - Kirby's Adventure
mastersuperfan and Static guessed this correctly
MSF did not deserve this point either. :3
[close]
Awwwwwwww, what? No! I love the Kirby's Adventure soundtrack! Man...
#12 (4/8)
Tal Tal Heights - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Timestamp: 0:19
mastersuperfan, ThatHiddenCharacter, Maelstrom, and Static guessed this correctly
[close]
are you fucking serious right now

well shit man I could have tied MSF in a perfect world, fuck
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Dekkadeci

It's past midnight on Sept. 16 where I am, so here's my eighth Guess-The-Song Quiz:
[PDF] | [MIDI] | [MUS] | [MSCZ]

The MUS is readable in Finale, including Finale Notepad. The MSCZ is readable in Musescore. All other files are based on the original MSCZ, not the MUS--this explains why the PDF doesn't look like the MUS.
The MUS may display and/or play back bugged. The MSCZ, MIDI, and PDF shouldn't.
With that being said, #11 contains a fall that none of the files play back.

This quiz shouldn't be too difficult, but don't feel too bad if you only get one or two! PM away!

You can PM answers to me until Monday, Sept. 18 at 5:00 PM MDT (a.k.a. Tuesday, Sept. 19 12:00 AM forum default time). I will not count any submissions made after that time, as I'll be too busy tallying results.
Results will be posted shortly afterwards.

Some guidelines for answering, how the melodies are transcribed, and what counts as a correct answer--oh yeah, and some hints right off the bat:
  • You may submit YouTube links/videos instead of game name-song name/best known use pairs.
  • All tempos are approximate.
  • Like last time, I will mark unambiguous songs with the right melody in the right key as correct. If your guess has the right melody in the wrong key, I will mark it as incorrect but PM back that you were close. You can freely guess again until the deadline.
  • I may not have gotten octave voicings correct in this quiz. If you think you've got the right song but it's off by an octave or two in parts, just guess that song anyway.
  • I may not have gotten articulations correct in this quiz.
  • As before, I PM hints! If you can't figure out the song at all, but you guess the series the melody is from and/or give a YouTube link to a similar-sounding piece, I'll PM back about whether you're on the right track.
  • #4 and #10 are less likely to be completely melodically and/or rhythmically accurate than the rest of the melodies.
  • The last note of #4 is cut off.
  • The only series with more than one song in this quiz are Mario, Kirby, and Shovel Knight. None of the other songs share a series.
  • No two consecutive melodies are from the same series.

mastersuperfan

Somewhere over the rainbow, it is Monday...

MSF ROUND E  (because my numbering got all screwed up, so just roll with it, though I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be my ninth quiz)

Now, fair warning: this is a long and hard quiz. There's a huge variety of melodies here, and not a single one of them is popular or obvious. In essence, this is a quiz with no easy melodies--but most of the melodies are nowhere close to impossible, so everyone should be able to get at least a few. In short, this is a quiz about anything and everything. (Mostly everything... there were some series I wanted to include but didn't. Oh well.)

The series breakdown is as follows:
  • 3 Mario melodies
  • 3 Kirby melodies
  • 3 Pokémon melodies
  • 3 Zelda melodies
  • 21(!!!) Miscellaneous melodies, no two of which are from the same series
Yep, this quiz is a whopping ƎƎ melodies long--and with this plethora of games and songs, there should be at least a little bit for everyone in here. Now, some other stuff is below:

What does (E4) mean?
As this quiz is rather tricky, I've taken the liberty of implementing a bit of a hint in this quiz. Perhaps some of you might remember this quote by our friendly little neighborhood turtle?

Quote from: InsigTurtle on May 08, 2017, 04:54:12 PMWhat I've usually done, was to do equal proportions of Pokémon, Kirby, Mario, and Zelda, with some occasional extra tidbits thrown in, since those are the Elite 4 of Nintendo franchises. After all, this *is* NinSheetMusic, so it can't be unreasonable to include Nintendo melodies, right?

Now, as this is called Round E, I figured it was only fitting that I label all melodies from Mario/Kirby/Pokémon/Zelda with E4, an abbreviation of Elite 4. In other words, you now know exactly which melodies are and aren't from one of those four main series, to make this quiz just a liiittle bit more manageable for you all.
[close]

The Revised Scoreboard
As this quiz is more difficult than ones you've previously seen, I'm making a (most likely temporary) change to the scoreboard this round, where you will now know exactly how many people know each melody--because if I was still using the original version then you'd mostly see a random mix of red and green, and that probably wouldn't be too interesting.

Black = 0 people
Red = 1 person
Orange = 2 people
Yellow = 3 people
Green = 4 people
Blue = 5 people
Purple = 6 people
Pink = 7+ people (lol nothing will make it here)

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  SR1P
[close]

The Hint System
There is none! Good luck!
[close]

Dekkadeci

I was hoping we wouldn't post two quizzes in a row without sticking a set of answers in between.

ThatHiddenCharacter

Quote from: Dekkadeci on September 17, 2017, 08:09:47 PMI was hoping we wouldn't post two quizzes in a row without sticking a set of answers in between.
Due to an error on my part, answers for my quiz will be posted tomorrow sometime after I get out of school. Sorry folks.
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter