The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 29, 2017, 07:53:26 PM
  • #25: Not from one of the four main series. Originally released for PC and then later on a Nintendo console. The last two measures are played by a flute (I honestly don't know what the heck is playing the rest).

WAIT I'M DUMB

THAT'S LITERALLY JUST A SAXOPHONE PLAYING THE REST OF THAT

Hint has been updated.

Requested Hints (11) - #1, #2, #5, #6, #9, #10, #12, #20, #21, #23, #25 (UPDATED)
  • #1: From one of the four main series. Played by a woodwind instrument that sounds like a recorder (I happen to know of a cover that plays the melody with a recorder). It's iconic enough to have received remixes in two other games within the same main series; however, it hasn't appeared in any Smash Bros. game, while multiple other songs from the same game have.
  • #2: Not from one of the four main series. Not from the first game in its series, yet still iconic. Heard sometime during the first half of the game (main game only, not including extra modes/bonus levels/postgame content).
  • #5 Not from one of the four main series. Iconic 8-bit track, and definitely the most well-known theme from the game--it's the music that is primarily heard during gameplay. Has also gained popularity through prominent Smash Bros. remixes.
  • #6: From one of the four main series. 8-bit track. Has received numerous remixes in later games of the series.
  • #9: From one of the four main series. Nintendo DS game. The track is very similar to other songs in different games in the same series; they're most likely based off one another.
  • #10: From one of the four main series. Heard sometime during the second half of the game (main game only, not including extra modes/bonus levels/postgame content). Played by a rock guitar.
  • #12: From one of the four main series. Plays in a level/area that is reached sometime around the halfway point of the game (main game only, not including extra modes/bonus levels/postgame content). This was the only section of the track that I could feasibly transcribe while still expecting others to recognize it.
  • #20: Not from one of the four main series. Nintendo 3DS game. Boss battle theme that is specific to one boss only.
  • #21: From one of the four main series. Boss battle theme that plays for multiple bosses, with slight variations for each boss. Most of the melody is electronic synth.
  • #23: From one of the four main series. The game was released before the year 2000. This game has been used once and only once before in a melody quiz, and nobody got it. (I was not the one who used it.) Also, if you still don't think this is enough, then take the time to think about why I might be having trouble giving hints about this melody/game.
  • #25: Not from one of the four main series. Originally released for PC and then later on a Nintendo console. The last two measures are played by a flute, while the rest is played by a saxophone. (UPDATED)
[close]
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

InsigTurtle

Quote from: Dekkadeci on August 30, 2017, 09:27:02 AMI can't even open the PDF with my phone for Insig's quiz.

Uh oh. I tried opening the file on my phone, and it worked. I don't know why it'd be incompatible on your side...

Anyways, requested hints!
Spoiler
5 - What time in the game does this play? At high noon Well, not in a level itself. You probably only hear the first part most of the time. The game's on a regular console!   
6 - Hmph. Glad you asked. This track has an electric guitar in it, giving it an edgy vibe at times. The game's on a handheld console!
7 - This game is... a bit old, but not old enough to be an artifact or anything. This music is pretty dry. The game's on a handheld console!
[close]

4 people have submitted so far, current scoreboard is still up here! Which, according to Google Sheets, is unavailable. Uh, hold on.

mastersuperfan

These hints tho

I'm dying

Well I already got the one I was here for
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

InsigTurtle

One more hint, for #9 this time:
Spoiler
9 - Knock knock! Turn off the light, it's time for you to go. Any more hints would make this too obvious. The game's on a regular console!
[close]

And a hint for #3!
Spoiler
3 - Instead of a hint, I'm going on an adventure. Probably down to the valley where they do lots of farming. Bye. The game's on a regular console!
[close]

mastersuperfan

Answers and Results!

The moment you've all been waiting for. We had 12 participants participate in Round D, 9 of which also participated in Rounds A through C. (Levi declined to participate this round due to being busy, so the total results for all 100 melodies will now only include the other 9 regular competitors.)

Without further ado, the answers to the final part of the four-part round!

*Note*: I was planning to get the cumulative results for all four rounds today, but since there's a lot of data to go through and it's late over here, I'm going to be putting that off until tomorrow. You can probably figure out the overall standings yourself if you so desire, but the final post will include statistics such as overall scores and rankings for each difficulty section and for each game series, along with congratulations, honorable mentions, and my final thoughts, so stay tuned.

MSF ROUND D

Round Start Quotes
Quote from: Dudeman on August 28, 2017, 11:43:42 AMOH BOY HERE WE GO

Quote from: Maelstromheyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy quiz time

Quote from: InsigTurtle on August 28, 2017, 01:15:55 PMYer lucky, I'm making an effort to do your quizzes when I'm not spending time on other's, even though I know my ass will be kicked by your quiz. It's cuz I'm busy now and I just wanna do all four of the quizzes, it's not because I-I like you or anything... baka...
[close]

The Theme
So yeah, there was a theme in this quiz. Sort of. It was probably far more obvious if you looked at the PDF, although funnily enough none of the participants who noticed the theme had looked at the PDF beforehand...

Quote from: Staticoh
i see what you did
i shouldve known
grass themed

QuoteYug Guy: Wait a minute,
Yug Guy: Is there perhaps,
Yug Guy: a theme with all of these melodies?
Yug Guy: And may this theme
Yug Guy: Just happen to coincide
Yug Guy: With the color green?
mastersuperfan: indeed, it does
Yug Guy: mHMMMMM
mastersuperfan: I was actually trying to do a similar thing on B and C but nobody noticed
Yug Guy: *puts on monocle

QuoteInsigTurtle: stupid question but is there a green theme this time
mastersuperfan: there is
mastersuperfan: you're the third person to notice it
mastersuperfan: ...which is funny because nobody ever noticed the blue or yellow themes
mastersuperfan: although I imagine it's much more obvious this time
InsigTurtle: i noticed sand the other time but i didn't extend that to green
InsigTurtle: wait
InsigTurtle: yellow
mastersuperfan: green sand
mastersuperfan: 10/10
InsigTurtle: my thought process was: "stupid green-haired fuck... wait, luigi is green too... and celadon is green"
QuoteInsigTurtle: oh
InsigTurtle: the text in the PDF is green, the melody numbers
mastersuperfan: yep
mastersuperfan: it was colored the last three quizzes too :P
InsigTurtle: i remember that
InsigTurtle: but i didn't make the link between sand and green
InsigTurtle: grah
mastersuperfan: xD
InsigTurtle: sand and green
InsigTurtle: ok
mastersuperfan: https://4.imimg.com/data4/LC/UI/MY-6995980/green-sand-250x250.jpg

InsigTurtle: yes that is green sand
[close]

Scoreboard (Final)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  |  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  |  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25
[close]

Requested Hints (11) - #1, #2, #5, #6, #9, #10, #12, #20, #21, #23, #25
  • #1: From one of the four main series. Played by a woodwind instrument that sounds like a recorder (I happen to know of a cover that plays the melody with a recorder). It's iconic enough to have received remixes in two other games within the same main series; however, it hasn't appeared in any Smash Bros. game, while multiple other songs from the same game have. (Dudeman)
  • #2: Not from one of the four main series. Not from the first game in its series, yet still iconic. Heard sometime during the first half of the game (main game only, not including extra modes/bonus levels/postgame content). (Dudeman)
  • #5 Not from one of the four main series. Iconic 8-bit track, and definitely the most well-known theme from the game--it's the music that is primarily heard during gameplay. Has also gained popularity through prominent Smash Bros. remixes. (Latios212)
  • #6: From one of the four main series. 8-bit track. Has received numerous remixes in later games of the series. (ThatHiddenCharacter)
  • #9: From one of the four main series. Nintendo DS game. The track is very similar to other songs in different games in the same series; they're most likely based off one another. (NocturneOfShadow)
  • #10: From one of the four main series. Heard sometime during the second half of the game (main game only, not including extra modes/bonus levels/postgame content). Played by a rock guitar. (InsigTurtle)
  • #12: From one of the four main series. Plays in a level/area that is reached sometime around the halfway point of the game (main game only, not including extra modes/bonus levels/postgame content). This was the only section of the track that I could feasibly transcribe while still expecting others to recognize it. (Latios212)
  • #20: Not from one of the four main series. Nintendo 3DS game. Boss battle theme that is specific to one boss only. (NocturneOfShadow)
  • #21: From one of the four main series. Boss battle theme that plays for multiple bosses, with slight variations for each boss. Most of the melody is electronic synth. (NocturneOfShadow)
  • #23: From one of the four main series. The game was released before the year 2000. This game has been used once and only once before in a melody quiz, and nobody got it. (I was not the one who used it.) Also, if you still don't think this is enough, then take the time to think about why I might be having trouble giving hints about this melody/game. (Dekkadeci)
  • #25: Not from one of the four main series. Originally released for PC and then later on a Nintendo console. The last two measures are played by a flute (I honestly don't know what the heck is playing the rest). (WaluigiTime64)

Quote from: Dudeman on August 29, 2017, 01:33:56 PMAll right boi, I might as well get this over with. I request hints for #1 and #2. Sad? Yes. Necessary? Yes.

Quote from: Latios212clue me for 5 lol

QuoteThatHiddenCharacter: I just realized, don't I have one more hint?
mastersuperfan: you do
mastersuperfan: want to use it on #6?
ThatHiddenCharacter: Yes!

Quote from: NocturneOfShadowok I want a hint on 9, I think that's mario

Quote from: InsigTurtle on August 28, 2017, 04:28:53 PMI'll do it! I'll use my last hint on 10!

Quote from: Latios212I'll also take

Quote from: NocturneOfShadowand I think I want a hint on 20 as well

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 28, 2017, 04:34:24 PM21. this is for an NES game I swear, I need a hint

Quote from: Dekkadeci on August 28, 2017, 10:36:50 AM#23 sounds a ton like the Wizpig Race theme to me, so I think I'll use my last hint on it since it doesn't seem to actually be the Wizpig Race theme.

Quote from: WaluigiTime64#25
hint me up scottie
[close]

EASY

#1 (6/12)
"Title Theme" - [SNES] Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Mario #1)

Timestamp: 1:19 - 1:29

Also in:

Hint: From one of the four main series. Played by a woodwind instrument that sounds like a recorder (I happen to know of a cover that plays the melody with a recorder). It's iconic enough to have received remixes in two other games within the same main series; however, it hasn't appeared in any Smash Bros. game, while multiple other songs from the same game have. (requested by Dudeman)

# of players helped by hint: 1

So it turns out that the title theme is actually one of the harder tracks to recognize from this game. Who would've thought.

I guess maybe it's because of the long ambient intro, but I figured it was iconic nonetheless. Still, a good number of people recognized it. (And a good number of people were also driven insane...)

Quote from: Trasdegi on August 28, 2017, 09:58:52 AM#1: Back to the future???

Quote from: Dudeman on August 28, 2017, 11:43:42 AM#1: already irritated, this can't be good

Quote from: Yug_GuyAlso,
since I've gotten everything from the easy section except for #1
I can safely deduce that it is from the Mario series
But where from?
That is the question
Quote from: Yug_GuyI keep thinking it's the SMW2:YI Cave theme, but I know that's completely wrong
Continued
QuoteYug Guy: Y'know
Yug Guy: Given that it's you doing this quiz
Yug Guy: I wonder if it's from Mario Kart...
mastersuperfan: lol
Yug Guy: Maybe
Yug Guy: But it sounds too much like a character theme to be in Mario Kart
mastersuperfan: heh
Yug Guy: Wait what
Yug Guy: What's funny
mastersuperfan: nothing :)
Yug Guy: YOU SON OF A-
Yug Guy: CODE BLUE, CODE BLUE
mastersuperfan: ;)
Yug Guy: WE NEED TO START COMBING THROUGH MARIO KART, STAT
Quotemastersuperfan: it's probably more obvious than you think it is
Yug Guy: You don't say
mastersuperfan: I do say
Yug Guy: FUCK THIS IS DRIVING ME UP THE WALL
Yug Guy: (pun possibly intentional)
mastersuperfan: hee hee hee
QuoteYug Guy: I DON'T FUCKING KNOW WHERE THIS SONG IS FROM
Yug Guy: I'M LITERALLY LOOKING AT A FUKIN LIST OF ALL THE RETRO COURSES FOR MARIO KART
Yug Guy: AND THERE'S NOT THAT MANY SONGS THAT APPEAR IN MORE THAN ONE GAME
mastersuperfan: who said it was Mario Kart
Yug Guy: THE FUCK DID YOU JUST SAY?!
mastersuperfan: what did I say?
QuoteYug Guy: I mean
Yug Guy: how tf does everyone (but Dudeman) know this song & not me?
[close]

Quotemastersuperfan: well at least you got #1 xD
Latios: well duuuuuuuh
mastersuperfan: unlike half the competitors
Latios: I am a true yoshi's island fan
mastersuperfan: and Dudeman and Yug are not
Latios: yes

Guessed by:
  • InsigTurtle
  • Latios212
  • Maelstrom
  • Static
  • ThatHiddenCharacter
  • WaluigiTime64
[close]

#2 (8/12)
"Onett" - [SNES] EarthBound (Miscellaneous #1)

Timestamp: 0:20 - 0:28

Also in: [WiiU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ("Onett Theme / Winters Theme")

Hint: Not from one of the four main series. Not from the first game in its series, yet still iconic. Heard sometime during the first half of the game (main game only, not including extra modes/bonus levels/postgame content). (requested by Dudeman)

Very iconic theme from EarthBound. Naturally, most of the competitors got it.

Quote from: Dudeman on August 28, 2017, 11:43:42 AM#2: THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS TOO WHAT
Quote from: Dudeman on August 29, 2017, 09:27:17 PMGAD FACKING DAMMIT #2 TOOK WAY TOO LONG
#2: Onett - Earthbound

Quote from: InsigTurtle on August 28, 2017, 01:15:55 PMshiet 2 is familiar

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 28, 2017, 04:34:24 PM(why not have this as melody one it bothers me)

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • Latios212
  • Maelstrom
  • NocturneOfShadow
  • Olimar12345
  • Static
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#3 (8/12)
"Title Screen" - [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Miscellaneous #2)

Timestamp: 0:09 - 0:18

Also in:

I was curious to see if this was as well-known as the original Animal Crossing's main theme. Thanks to Brawl, it looks like the answer is a resounding yes. (Since a lot of people were able to recognize this as Animal Crossing but couldn't pinpoint the exact source, I was lenient and accepted the Brawl remix of this as well.)

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • Latios212
  • NocturneOfShadow
  • Olimar12345
  • Static
  • Trasdegi
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#4 (7/12)
"Celadon City" - [GB] Pokémon Red and Blue Versions (Pokémon #1)

Timestamp: 0:01 - 0:15

Also in:

Not gonna lie, I'm not a huge fan of Gen 1 music, but I had to use it eventually. At least I find this one catchier than the rest.

Quote from: Trasdegi on August 28, 2017, 09:58:52 AM#4: Probably a pokemon theme than I dont remember the name.

Quotemastersuperfan: (took me 8 quizzes to finally use Gen 1...)
Latios: ...
Latios: Well any of those I'll get instantly :D
mastersuperfan: maybe that's why I haven't used it

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • InsigTurtle
  • Latios212
  • NocturneOfShadow
  • Olimar12345
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#5 (10/12)
"Fight Theme" - [NES] Punch-Out!! (Miscellaneous #3)

Timestamp: 0:08 - 0:20

Also in:

Hint: Not from one of the four main series. Iconic 8-bit track, and definitely the most well-known theme from the game--it's the music that is primarily heard during gameplay. Has also gained popularity through prominent Smash Bros. remixes. (requested by Latios212)

This was actually more guesses than I expected, but it's always nice to know that the easy melodies in my quizzes are working. (It's also nice to know who doesn't know the iconic ones that everyone else knows...)

Quote from: WaluigiTime64these rhythms piss me off
i dunno they just do

Guessed by:
  • Dekkadeci
  • Dudeman
  • InsigTurtle
  • Maelstrom
  • NocturneOfShadow
  • Olimar12345
  • Static
  • ThatHiddenCharacter
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#6 (8/12)
"Mint Breath" - [GB] Kirby's Dream Land (Kirby #1)

Timestamp: 0:02 - 0:13

Also in:

Hint: From one of the four main series. 8-bit track. Has received numerous remixes in later games of the series. (requested by ThatHiddenCharacter)

# of players helped by hint: 2

Fun fact: instead of the Mint Leaf, this item was originally the Sweet Potato in the Japanese version. Why they changed it, I have no idea.

With the whole "green" theme I had going on here, I was actually really tempted to use Green Greens as #1, but that would've been far too obvious for my liking. Mint leaves are green, anyway. (Although, sweet potatoes aren't...)

QuoteStatic: the robot theme from
Static: key
Static: is 6
mastersuperfan: I'll take it
mastersuperfan: it's originally from Dream Land lol
Static: yeah i know but
Static: when i think of the song
Static: i think of the vastly superior key version

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacterI know 6. It's either an early Kirby or a recent Kirby.
But I can't remember.
I tried RtD.
But nothing.
I tried midboss and boss themes
But nothing.
Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacterI went through all the osts. I must be a huge idiot to not have found it.
QuoteThatHiddenCharacter: OH GOD!!!
mastersuperfan: didst thou find it
ThatHiddenCharacter: I COMPLETELY SKIPPED IT!!!

Guessed by:
  • Dekkadeci
  • Dudeman
  • Latios212
  • Olimar12345
  • Static
  • ThatHiddenCharacter
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#7 (6/12)
"Forest of Mystery" / "Lost Woods" - [SNES] The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Zelda #1)

Timestamp: 0:06 - 0:19

Also in: [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ("Forest of Mystery")

One of the more iconic themes from the game, I'd like to think, especially considering that I know it and I've never played this game--shoutout goes to Smooth McGroove. (Although, I have played A Link Between Worlds, so that could have something to do with it.)

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • Maelstrom
  • NocturneOfShadow
  • Olimar12345
  • Static
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#8 (3/12)
"Emerald Hill Zone" - [GEN] Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Miscellaneous #4)

Timestamp: 0:17 - 0:31

Also in: [Wii] Super Smash Bros. Brawl ("Emerald Hill Zone")

Sonic isn't the most popular franchise here on NSM, so this might've been a tricky one to top off the Easy section, especially considering that I picked the quiet melody in the middle. With how iconic it is, though, it just didn't feel right to put it in the Medium section. (Besides, my Medium section was already full, anyways...)

Quote from: Dudeman on August 28, 2017, 11:43:42 AM(god you have no idea how much that drove me crazy)

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

Easy Section (8): Scores
Dudeman, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy (7)
Olimar12345, Static (6)
Latios212, WaluigiTime64, NocturneOfShadow (5)
Maelstrom (4)
InsigTurtle, ThatHiddenCharacter (3)
Dekkadeci (2)
Trasdegi (1)

Average Score: 5.55 (69.3%)

Quote from: WaluigiTime64i probably won't get a perfect score for the Easy section i guess
so close too...
[close]

MEDIUM

#9 (6/12)
"Prism Plains (Plains Area 1)" - [NDS] Kirby: Squeak Squad (Kirby #2)

Timestamp: 0:11 - 0:22

Also in: Kirby's Dream Collection (Kirby's 20th Anniversary Soundtrack) ("Prism Plains")

Hint: From one of the four main series. Nintendo DS game. The track is very similar to other songs in different games in the same series; they're most likely based off one another. (requested by NocturneOfShadow)

# of players helped by hint: 2

Squeak Squad isn't the most well-known of Kirby games, so even though it was a first level theme that sounded very much like Kirby I still thought it might be a little tricky.

Apparently not.

Quote from: Dudeman on August 28, 2017, 11:43:42 AM(definitely would not have known this one if those last two measures hadn't been used in this rip)

Guessed by:
  • Dekkadeci
  • Dudeman
  • Latios212
  • Static
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#10 (3/12)
"Rival's Theme" / "Battle! (Wally)" - [3DS] Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (Pokémon #2)

Timestamp: 0:01 - 0:20

Hint: From one of the four main series. Heard sometime during the second half of the game (main game only, not including extra modes/bonus levels/postgame content). Played by a rock guitar. (requested by InsigTurtle)

A pretty badass battle themes that really comes out of nowhere, especially considering what he was like in the original RSE. With its 3.25 million views on YouTube, I thought it wouldn't be too hard for most good Pokémon fans to recognize. I'll admit that I'm not actually not a huge fan of this battle theme, largely in part because I really wish the loop was longer than a measly 35 or so seconds...

Quote from: Dudeman on August 28, 2017, 11:43:42 AM#10: "Driving Me Nuts" count: 3

Quote from: WaluigiTime64gen 3 is good
and gen 3 remake is good
also i have a friend completely obsessed with gen 3 so that helps
including remake obviously

Quote from: InsigTurtle on August 28, 2017, 01:15:55 PMshiet 2 is familiar and grrr so is 10
QuoteInsigTurtle: ahh shit i spent so much time looking at sun/moon's soundtrack for 10
mastersuperfan: rip
InsigTurtle: and then i thought, "wait..."
mastersuperfan: wait did you get it
InsigTurtle: ok the thing is, i never finished or/as
InsigTurtle: i gave up playing it and only heard the rest of the soundtrack on youtube
InsigTurtle: stupid sickly scumbag
mastersuperfan: all right that's a good enough answer for me
InsigTurtle: sad thing is i'm probably as healthy as he is

Guessed by:
  • InsigTurtle
  • Latios212
  • WaluigiTime64
[close]

#11 (2/12)
"Jungle Theme" - [NES] Contra (Miscellaneous #5)

Timestamp: 0:01 - 0:14

The Contra games aren't very popular among the NSM community, I'd imagine, but this theme is iconic enough that I felt safe including it in the Medium section. Two people got it, which I guess isn't too bad.

Quote from: Dekkadeci on August 28, 2017, 10:36:50 AM#11 sounds like Mega Man.

Quote from: Dudeman on August 28, 2017, 11:43:42 AM(all hail Bah Jesus)

QuoteNocturneOfShadow: I like that you put Contra in your quiz
mastersuperfan: yeah I just did that one because it was iconic
NocturneOfShadow: because nobody ever hears anything else unless they're really good?
mastersuperfan: lol so true

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • NocturneOfShadow
[close]

#12 (4/12)
"Whoa Zone" - [Wii] Super Paper Mario (Mario #2)

Timestamp: 0:22 - 0:36

Hint: From one of the four main series. Plays in a level/area that is reached sometime around the halfway point of the game (main game only, not including extra modes/bonus levels/postgame content). This was the only section of the track that I could feasibly transcribe while still expecting others to recognize it. (requested by Latios212)

# of players helped by hint: 0

The Whoa Zone?

MORE LIKE

Spoiler

[close]

Quote from: InsigTurtle on August 28, 2017, 01:15:55 PM12 - whoaaaaa zone

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacterI knew it was a Paper Mario game
It took me too long to get that

Quote from: Yug_Guy on August 28, 2017, 04:31:00 PM(this one took me waaay too long to get)

QuoteStatic: OH
Static: I KNOW THIS
Static: whoa zone
Static: WHOA
mastersuperfan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBfMEUiobfE
Static: [insert crash]
Static: YES
Static: is whoa zone a thing yet
Static: like a crash whoa zone remix
mastersuperfan: that needs to be a thing lol
Static: it should be
Quotemastersuperfan: the Whoa Zone is in World 4
mastersuperfan: you access World 4 with the green door
mastersuperfan: Crash's animation is done on a green screen
mastersuperfan: coincidence? I think not
Static: lol
mastersuperfan: heck, the Whoa Zone ITSELF is green
Static: Whoa Zone is an area in Super Paper Mario
Static: Super Paper Mario is a game
Static: Crash Bandicoot is a character in Crash Bandicoot
Static: Crash Bandicoot is a game
mastersuperfan: WOAH
mastersuperfan: I NEVER NOTICED THAT CONNECTION
mastersuperfan: WOAH
mastersuperfan: WOAHWOAWHOHAOAHWOHAOHAO

Guessed by:
  • InsigTurtle
  • Static
  • ThatHiddenCharacter
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#13 (3/12)
"Bubblegloop Swamp" - [N64] Banjo-Kazooie (Miscellaneous #6)

Timestamp: 0:56 - 1:07

I figured I might as well use Banjo-Kazooie on my quiz sometime in my four-part round, so here ya go. I probably picked a somewhat more obscure section, but I like to think that it still sounds distinctly like Grant Kirkhope, so I don't think it should have been terribly tricky.

QuoteYug Guy: Is it weird that for #13, I didn't think of a game,
Yug Guy: But rather, "Grant Kirkhope"?
mastersuperfan: that's not weird at all

Guessed by:
  • Olimar12345
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#14 (4/12)
"Minish Woods" - [GBA] The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (Zelda #2)

Timestamp: 0:03 - 0:19

I haven't seen Minish Cap used a single time in any of these quizzes, which is surprising, so I picked what I felt was one of the more memorable themes as a test. Looks like we've got quite a few people who've played it.

For some reason a surprisingly high number of participants singled this one out as being familiar. Perhaps this game is more popular than I thought. Or maybe it just sounds similar to a lot of other songs? As Latios pointed out, the rhythm is surprisingly similar to the same part of Onett that I used for #2...

Quote from: Dudeman on August 28, 2017, 11:43:42 AM(thank god I played this game)

Quote from: InsigTurtle on August 28, 2017, 01:15:55 PMshiet 2 is familiar and grrr so is 10  and 14 and uh oh it's time to hide my face again and post nonsensical stuff

Quote from: Static14 sounds so familiar ugh

Quote from: Latios21214 looks a little familiar but that might be because the contour is somewhat similar to onett's

Quote from: WaluigiTime64oh i swear i know 14
Quote from: WaluigiTime64#14 bothers me but i don't think i should hint just yet
Quote from: WaluigiTime64#14: Minish Woods - The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
do not ask

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • NocturneOfShadow
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#15 (1/12)
"Windmill Hills" - [WiiU] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Miscellaneous #7)

Timestamp: 1:06 - 1:22

Considering that half the participants were able to guess a well-known track from DKC Returns in my third quiz, I was hoping that one of the more well-known tracks from Tropical Freeze would also garner a couple answers.

Looks like only one person knows it. It's a shame, because it sounds so beautiful...

Quote from: Yug_GuyI fukin' love Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze's Soundtrack
A+ my dude

Guessed by: Yug_Guy
[close]

#16 (1/12)
"Tide Goes Out" - [WiiU] Splatoon (Miscellaneous #8)

Timestamp: 0:54 - 1:07

Only one person? Really? Granted, I picked the possibly less memorable part at the end (because I really didn't want to have to transcribe the gibberish singing), but it's got enough views on YouTube that I thought Splatoon fans who kept playing up to the final Splatfest would know this one.

Maybe it's just that everyone else here picked Team Callie. But Marie's song is totally better...

Quote from: MaelstromBefore I kill myself looking
is 16 a touhou song
Quote from: MaelstromIt sounded like the main theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3suCyu4JBcs

Guessed by: Olimar12345
[close]

Medium Section (8): Scores
Yug_Guy (5)
WaluigiTime64 (4)
Dudeman (3)
InsigTurtle, Latios212, NocturneOfShadow, Olimar12345, Static (2)
Dekkadeci, ThatHiddenCharacter (1)
Maelstrom, Trasdegi (0)

Average Score: 2 (25.0%)

Quotemastersuperfan: you can do better in the Medium section, I say
Static: you always say that
mastersuperfan: because it's always true lol
[close]

mastersuperfan

HARD

#17 (2/12)
"Green Yards" - [GCN] Pikmin 2 (Miscellaneous #9)

Timestamp: 0:42 - 1:02

Took me a while, but Pikmin's finally represented in this 100-melody round, as promised.

Pikmin 2 dungeon music is actually randomly generated, but these phrases here (or very similar ones) continuously keep popping up, from what I've heard in gameplay videos, so it still wasn't too hard for our Pikmin 2 fans to recognize--even if it plays for nothing more than a single sublevel.

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacterI have a feeling 17 is Pikmin, but I have no idea what if it even is

Guessed by:
  • Olimar12345
  • Static
[close]

#18 (0/12)
"Raid Battle" - [MOBILE] Pokémon Go (Pokémon #3)

Timestamp: 0:02 - 0:12

Proof that this game is dead, huh. Raids are a feature that got added a little over two months ago, so it looks like nobody's really touched the game since then. I sure haven't; I only know this one because it kept popping up in my sidebar a lot. I was hoping someone would recognize it the same way, like with Learn With Pokémon: Typing Adventure, but it looks like nobody did.

The bassline I picked may have been a little generic, but it's one of the parts that caught my attention the most, and the melodies afterward sound way too similar to main series battle themes.

Guessed by: ---
[close]

#19 (1/12)
"Ruins'n Vains - Deep Forest Stage" - [PS2] Mega Man X7 (Miscellaneous #10)

Timestamp: 0:30 - 0:43

Y'know, Snake Man Stage was supposed to be on this quiz, but then Wah went and used that. I was going to leave Mega Man out of this quiz entirely after that, but I felt a little bad for the only Mega Man representation in these 100 melodies being the most iconic one. So, of course, I delved deep into the series looking for a track to throw into the Hard section, and came out with this.

Maybe it's just me, but the part I transcribed reminds me of Super Mario Galaxy in a way...

Quote from: Dudeman on August 28, 2017, 11:43:42 AM#19: OH MY GOD RUINS 'N VAINS MEGA MAN X7 I LOVE YOU SO MUCH
Quote from: DudemanI WAS FLOORED
YOU MADMAN

Guessed by: Dudeman
[close]

#20 (1/12)
"Astalos: The Thunderclaw Wyvern" - [3DS] Monster Hunter Generations (Miscellaneous #11)

Timestamp: 0:50 - 1:02

Hint: Not from one of the four main series. Nintendo 3DS game. Boss battle theme that is specific to one boss only. (requested by NocturneOfShadow)

Get out, Mr. L. This beast is the REAL Green Thunder.

I actually own this game, but I have yet to ever boot it up--it's a time sink to end all time sinks (other than maybe League of Legends). I do own the Astalos and Mizutsune 3DS home menu themes, though, so I know a bit of the music already. It's awesome, trust me.

Quote from: MaelstromIS THAT MONSTER HUNTER
IS THAT ASTALOS
lemme check
IT IS
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote from: DudemanSo I am currently missing 1, 10, and 20. I'm pretty sure 20 is another that I should know.

Guessed by: Maelstrom
[close]

#21 (1/12)
"That Stubborn Tree!" - [WiiU] Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (Kirby #3)

Timestamp: 0:00 - 0:07

Hint: From one of the four main series. Boss battle theme that plays for multiple bosses, with slight variations for each boss. Most of the melody is electronic synth. (requested by NocturneOfShadow)

It turns out that variations on this boss battle theme also play for the second and third bosses, which I was actually not aware of before Dekka pointed it out in her submission. I suppose this is what happens when you only play the first world before getting bored... I tried to love it, but really, it was honestly a letdown after the greatness that was Canvas Curse. Music's pretty good, though.

Quote from: NocturneOfShadowit's SOOO familiar you have no idea
imma kill myself if I don't figure 21 out
QuoteNocturneOfShadow: so what game is 20 in then
mastersuperfan: lol 20 is a game I'm like 99.9% sure you've never ever touched
mastersuperfan: Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
mastersuperfan: oh wait
mastersuperfan: that's #21
NocturneOfShadow: IS THAT THE ONE WITH THE YARN
mastersuperfan: nope
NocturneOfShadow: where you draw
mastersuperfan: that's the one with the clay
NocturneOfShadow: on the gamepad
mastersuperfan: yes
mastersuperfan: omg
NocturneOfShadow: make yarn
mastersuperfan: did you actually know it
NocturneOfShadow: YES WE OWN THAT GAME
mastersuperfan: HAHAHAHAHA

Guessed by: Dekkadeci
[close]

#22 (0/12)
"Drowsy" - [WiiU] Dr. Luigi (Mario #3)

Timestamp: 0:46 - 1:00

This is where we start getting into really obscure territory.

For anyone who's frequently checked the My Nintendo rewards, I imagine you'll have seen discounts offered for this game multiple times. The question I wanted to test, though, was to see if anyone had actually bothered to play the game.

For the record, I haven't. But I've listened to the new music and it's not bad. Also, based on the comments section, it looks like this track was also used in SMG4, which I guess would be an alternative way to recognize this one. Nobody did, though.

[close]

#23 (0/12)
"World Map Theme" - [CDi] Link: The Faces of Evil (Zelda #3)

Timestamp: 1:48 - 2:18

Hint: From one of the four main series. The game was released before the year 2000. This game has been used once and only once before in a melody quiz, and nobody got it. (I was not the one who used it.) Also, if you still don't think this is enough, then take the time to think about why I might be having trouble giving hints about this melody/game. (requested by Dekkadeci)

Quote from: InsigTurtle on July 17, 2017, 05:51:12 PMIn all seriousness, I could do with more tracks from Link: The Faces of Evil so please use it!

You asked, and so I delivered.

I'm not sorry.

[close]

#24 (0/12)
"This World Isn't an Illusion" - [WiiU] Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (Miscellaneous #12)

Timestamp: 0:54 - 1:13

There are a lot more Wii U games on this quiz than I realized...

This game didn't have great sales, nor is it very well-known at all, but I remember being hyped for it back when I more into Fire Emblem. Granted, while this is a crossover involving Fire Emblem, it's mostly Shin Megami Tensei gameplay. I've had my eye on this game for a long time but haven't bothered to pick it up yet, but I've listened to some of the music and it is just amazing.

This is also a very weeby game. I approve.

[close]

#25 (0/12)
"Piranha Jungle" - [PC] Tadpole Treble (Miscellaneous #13)

Timestamp: 1:16 - 1:32

Hint: Not from one of the four main series. Originally released for PC and then later on a Nintendo console. The last two measures are played by a flute, while the rest is played by a saxophone. (requested by WaluigiTime64)

And now, I bring the 100-melody round to a close with a track from one of the most obscure games ever to be used in a melody quiz: Tadpole Treble, a small indie gem released on PC and later the Wii U, made by the creators of the webcomic Brawl in the Family (which is totally worth checking out, by the way). I know I'm not the only BitF fan on here, so I was hoping for a guess, but it was a bit of a stretch.

It's actually a really great game (90 on Metacritic for the PC version), and it's not too long or pricey, so I definitely recommend anyone with a free hour or two to check it out. The music is fantastic, too.

[close]

Hard Section (9): Scores
Dekkadeci, Dudeman, Maelstrom, Olimar12345, Static (1)
InsigTurtle, Latios212, NocturneOfShadow, ThatHiddenCharacter, Trasdegi, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy (0)

Average Score: 0.42 (4.6%)

Quote from: Statichttp://i.imgur.com/0b7mmkx.png

nice
[close]

SCORES BY SERIES:

Mario (3)
InsigTurtle, Static, ThatHiddenCharacter (2)
Latios212, Maelstrom, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy (1)
Dekkadeci, Dudeman, NocturneOfShadow, Olimar12345, Trasdegi (0)

Average Score: 0.91 (30.3%)

Quote from: WaluigiTime64that 1/3 mario concerns me already
but i have a feeling which one is the medium one
[close]

Kirby (3)
Dekkadeci (3) - PERFECT!
Dudeman, Latios212, Static, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy (2)
Olimar12345, ThatHiddenCharacter (1)
InsigTurtle, Maelstrom, NocturneOfShadow, Trasdegi (0)

Average Score: 1.25 (41.7%)
[close]

Pokémon (3)
Latios212, InsigTurtle, WaluigiTime64 (2)
Dudeman, NocturneOfShadow, Olimar12345, Yug_Guy (1)
Dekkadeci, Maelstrom, Static, ThatHiddenCharacter, Trasdegi (0)

Quote from: Latios212Dang I need to find that third Pokemon
[close]

Zelda (3)
Dudeman, NocturneOfShadow, Yug_Guy (2)
Maelstrom, Olimar12345, Static, WaluigiTime64 (1)
Dekkadeci, InsigTurtle, Latios212, ThatHiddenCharacter, Trasdegi (0)

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on August 28, 2017, 04:34:24 PMonce again, it appears Zelda themes elude me.
[close]

Miscellaneous (13)
Dudeman, Olimar12345, Yug_Guy (6)
WaluigiTime64 (5)
NocturneOfShadow, Static (4)
Maelstrom (3)
Latios212 (2)
Dekkadeci, InsigTurtle, ThatHiddenCharacter, Trasdegi (1)

Average Score: 3.33 (25.6%)

Quote from: WaluigiTime64hoo boy 13 miscellaneous
it could only mean so many things but to sum it up: i'm screwed
[close]

OVERALL SCORES AND STATISTICS

AND THE WINNER IS...
Are you ready?
Are you suuuure?
Absolutely positive?
All right, then. The winner is...
YUG_GUY!   (IN A SURPRISE UPSET AGAINST THE REIGNING CHAMPION!)

With a magnificent score of 12/25!

Congratulations as well to our two runner-ups, Dudeman and WaluigiTime64, each with a score of 11/25! (What a close game, folks!)

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Score List
1st: Yug_Guy (12)
2nd: Dudeman, WaluigiTime64 (11)
4th: Olimar12345, Static (9)
6th: Latios212, NocturneOfShadow (7)
8th: InsigTurtle, Maelstrom (5)
10th: Dekkadeci, ThatHiddenCharacter (4)
12th: Trasdegi (1)

Average Score: 7.08 (28.3%)
[close]

Melodies per Participant
Dekkadeci (4): 5, 6, 9, 21
Dudeman (11): 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 14, 19
InsigTurtle (5): 1, 4, 5, 10, 12
Latios212 (7): 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 10
Maelstrom (5): 1, 2, 5, 7, 20
NocturneOfShadow (7): 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 11, 14
Olimar12345 (9): 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 13, 16, 17
Static (9): 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 12
ThatHiddenCharacter (4): 1, 5, 6, 12
Trasdegi (1): 3
WaluigiTime64 (11): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 13, 14
Yug_Guy (12): 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15
[close]

Participants per Melody
#1: InsigTurtle, Latios212, Maelstrom, Static, ThatHiddenCharacter, WaluigiTime64 (6)
#2: Dudeman, Latios212, Maelstrom, NocturneOfShadow, Olimar12345 Static, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy {8}
#3: Dudeman, Latios212, NocturneOfShadow, Olimar12345, Static, Trasdegi WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy {8}
#4: Dudeman, InsigTurtle, Latios212, NocturneOfShadow, Olimar12345, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy (7)
#5: Dekkadeci, Dudeman, InsigTurtle, Maelstrom, NocturneOfShadow, Olimar12345, Static, ThatHiddenCharacter, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy (10)
#6: Dekkadeci, Dudeman, Latios212, Olimar12345, Static, ThatHiddenCharacter, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy {8}
#7: Dudeman, Maelstrom, NocturneOfShadow, Olimar12345, Static, Yug_Guy (6)
#8: Dudeman, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy (3)
#9: Dekkadeci, Dudeman, Latios212, Static, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy (6)
#10: InsigTurtle, Latios212, WaluigiTime64 (3)
#11: Dudeman, NocturneOfShadow (2)
#12: InsigTurtle, Static, ThatHiddenCharacter, Yug_Guy (4)
#13: Olimar12345, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy (3)
#14: Dudeman, NocturneOfShadow, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy (4)
#15: Yug_Guy (1)
#16: Olimar12345 (1)
#17: Olimar12345, Static (2)
#18: (0)
#19: Dudeman (1)
#20: Maelstrom (1)
#21: Dekkadeci (1)
#22: (0)
#23: (0) MAH BOI
#24: (0)
#25: (0)
[close]

List of Scoreboards

Scoreboard (Update #1) - ThatHiddenCharacter, Trasdegi, Dekkadeci, Dudeman, Maelstrom (5)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  |  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  |  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25
[close]

Scoreboard (Update #2) - InsigTurtle, WaluigiTime64, Static (8)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

[close]

Scoreboard (Update #3) - Latios212, Yug_Guy, NocturneOfShadow (11)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

[close]

Scoreboard (Update #4) - Olimar12345 (12)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

[close]

Scoreboard (Final) (12)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

[close]
[close]

Hints Left Unused
Dekkadeci: 0
Dudeman: 1
InsigTurtle: 0
Latios212: 1
LeviR.star: 2
Maelstrom: 3
NocturneOfShadow: 0
Olimar12345: 3
Static: 2
ThatHiddenCharacter: 0
Trasdegi: 3
WaluigiTime64: 1
Yug_Guy: 3
[close]

SCORE SPREADSHEET (click the Round D tab)

CUMULATIVE SCORES FOR ALL ROUNDS COMING TOMORROW (or later today, depending on your time zone)

Dudeman

Congrats, Yug.

Bigger congrats, me. (46/100)
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

WaluigiTime64

if it means anything i got third place overall

guess i'm so good at being second place that when my goal is second place i end up second place for second place
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 30, 2017, 09:55:59 PM
All right, then. The winner is...
YUG_GUY!   (IN A SURPRISE UPSET AGAINST THE REIGNING CHAMPION!)

With a magnificent score of 12/25!
[close]
SWEET JESUS, WHAT IS THAT ABOMINATION?!?! Oh hey, I won.

Quote from: Dudeman on August 30, 2017, 10:46:59 PMCongrats, Yug.

Bigger congrats, me. (46/100)
Thank you - you put up a good fight & did quite well. (And congrats on that 46/100)

InsigTurtle

Just a beep-beep to remind y'all to participate in my quiz if you haven't done so already! And you can still use your hints on anything you want!

mastersuperfan

Well I have a bad procrastinating habit so it looks like you'll be seeing the total results tomorrow morning

Whoops

Dekkadeci

For the record, my older sister still plays Pokemon Go, and I saw her play it today while we're on the same trip together. She even likes participating in raid battles! Unfortunately, she plays it with the sound off.

Trasdegi

If you need it, I have a 10-melody quiz almost ready (only formatting is missing, it would be ready by tomorrow morning (in ~10-12 hours))

mastersuperfan

I'm not late am I

CUMULATIVE SCORES FOR ROUNDS A, B, C, D

List of All 100 Melodies
Round A:
#1: "A Theme" / "Tetris: Type A" - [MUL] Tetris (9/10)
#2: "Temple" / "Palace" - [NES] Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (7/10)
#3: "King Dedede's Theme" - [SNES] Kirby Super Star (9/10)
#4: "Vs. Ridley" / "Big Boss Confrontation 1" - [SNES] Super Metroid (8/10)
#5: "Starship Mario" - [Wii] Super Mario Galaxy 2 (7/10)
#6: "Realm Overworld" / "Full Steam Ahead" - [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (3/10)
#7: "Battle! (Solgaleo/Lunala)" - [3DS] Pokémon Sun & Moon (1/10)
#8: "Melty Molten Galaxy" / "Hell Prominence" - [Wii] Super Mario Galaxy (4/10)
#9: "Moonstruck Blossom" - [3DS] Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3/10)
#10: "Another Medium" - [PC] Undertale (4/10)
#11: "Vs. Suicune" / "Vs. Legendary Beast" - [GBC] Pokémon Crystal Version (3/10)
#12: "Animal Village" - [GB] The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (1/10)
#13: "The Man with the Machine Gun" - [PS1] Final Fantasy VIII (3/10)
#14: "Magma Flows" - [GCN] Kirby Air Ride (1/10)
#15: "Champion Alder" - [NDS] Pokémon Black & White Versions (1/10)
#16: "Rainbow Castle" - [N64] Mario Party (1/10)
#17: "Dark Crater" - [NDS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time & Darkness (2/10)
#18: "Drawcia Soul" - [NDS] Kirby: Canvas Curse (2/10)
#19: "Pursuit ~ Overtaken" - [NDS] Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (0/10)
#20: "Piercing the Sky" - [PC] VVVVVV (0/10)
#21: "Gensokyo Millenium ~ History of the Moon" - [PC] Touhou 8: Imperishable Night (3/10)
#22: "Eclipse of the Moon" - [WiiU] Hyrule Warriors (0/10)
#23: "Lunar Colony" - [SW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (0/10)
#24: "Everything's Alright" - [PC] To The Moon (0/10)
#25: "Moon Princess" - [3DS] Rhythm Thief and the Emperor's Treasure (0/10)

Round B:
#26: "Opening Theme" / "Title Screen" - [Wii] Wii Sports (8/10)
#27: "Dr. Wily Stage 1" - [NES] Mega Man 2 (5/10)
#28: "Battle! (Team Galactic)" - [NDS] Pokémon Diamond & Pearl Versions (6/10)
#29: "The Great Sea" - [GCN] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (4/10)
#30: "Serenade of Water" - [N64] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (5/10)
#31: "Venturing into the Mechanised World" / "Patched Pathway" - [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot (6/10)
#32: "Dire, Dire Docks" - [N64] Super Mario 64 (3/10)
#33: "Abandoned Ship" - [GBA] Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire Versions (4/10)
#34: "Adventure's End" - [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (1/10)
#35: "Revali's Theme" - [SW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (1/10)
#36: "Future City" - [Wii] Kirby's Epic Yarn (2/10)
#37: "Boss Fight 1" - [3DS] Kid Icarus: Uprising (4/10)
#38: "Cheep Cheep Lagoon" / "Cheep Cheep Cape " - [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (1/10)
#39: "Rainy Area" - [Wii] Kirby's Return to Dream Land (1/10)
#40: "Humilau City" - [NDS] Pokémon Black & White Versions 2 (0/10)
#41: "Blue Birds" - [NDS] Rhythm Heaven (2/10)
#42: "Snow Halation" - [iOS] Love Live! School idol Festival (2/10)
#43: "Cyan's Theme" - [SNES] Final Fantasy VI (1/10)
#44: "Secret Maze On The Sea Of No Return" - [GBC] The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (1/10)
#45: "Secret Path" - [3DS] Kirby's Blowout Blast (0/10)
#46: "Blue Bird Lamentation" - [3DS] Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (1/10)
#47: "PR Video Studio" - [3DS] Pokémon X & Y (2/10)
#48: "Galaxy Arena" / "Galaxy Colosseum" / "Boss" - [Wii] Mario Kart Wii (2/10)
#49: "Leap the Precipice" - [XBOX360] Eternal Sonata (0/10)
#50: "Beyond the Blue" - [3DS] Azure Striker Gunvolt (0/10)

Round C:
#51: "Opening Theme" / "Start Music" - [ARCADE] Pac-Man (12/12)
#52: "Butter Building" - [NES] Kirby's Adventure (7/12)
#53: "Mega Mushroom" - [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (10/12)
#54: "Main Theme" / "GrandPrix" - [SW] ARMS (2/12)
#55: "Groose's Theme" - [Wii] The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (5/12)
#56: "Goldenrod City" - [GBC] Pokémon Gold & Silver Versions (7/12)
#57: "Ripple Star Select" - [N64] Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (4/12)
#58: "Gritzy Desert" - [NDS] Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (8/12)
#59: "Milk Bar" - [N64] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (4/12)
#60: "High Above the Land (The Flying Machine)" - [MUL] Shovel Knight (3/12)
#61: "Sand Canyon Map" - [SNES] Kirby's Dream Land 3 (1/12)
#62: "Great Canyon" - [MUL] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red & Blue Rescue Team (3/12)
#63: "Wicked Flight" - [3DS] Bravely Default (2/12)
#64: "Sanctuary" - [Wii] The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (1/12)
#65: "Rawk Hawk Battle" - [GCN] Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (1/12)
#66: "Looker's Theme" - [NDS] Pokémon Platinum (3/12)
#67: "Main Theme" / "Pull Up a Chair" - [PC] Hearthstone (1/12)
#68: "Final Boss" / "Doom Dragon Battle" - [GBA] Golden Sun: The Lost Age (0/12)
#69: "Sand Ocean" - [SNES] F-Zero (0/12)
#70: "The Ground's Color is Yellow" - [PC] Touhou Hisouten ~ Scarlet Weather Rhapsody (1/12)
#71: "Time to Make History" - [PSVITA] Persona 4 Golden (0/12)
#72: "Desert Palace" - [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (0/12)
#73: "Main Menu" - [Wii] Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (0/12)
#74: "Desert Scorcher" - [NDS] Kirby Mass Attack (1/12)
#75: "Boss Battle" - [NDS] Learn With Pokémon: Typing Adventure (1/12)

Round D:
#76: "Title Theme" - [SNES] Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (6/12)
#77: "Onett" - [SNES] EarthBound (8/12)
#78: "Title Screen" - [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (8/12)
#79: "Celadon City" - [GB] Pokémon Red and Blue Versions (7/12)
#80: "Fight Theme" - [NES] Punch-Out!! (10/12)
#81: "Mint Breath" - [GB] Kirby's Dream Land (8/12)
#82: "Forest of Mystery" / "Lost Woods" - [SNES] The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (6/12)
#83: "Emerald Hill Zone" - [GEN] Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (3/12)
#84: "Prism Plains (Plains Area 1)" - [NDS] Kirby: Squeak Squad (6/12)
#85: "Rival's Theme" / "Battle! (Wally)" - [3DS] Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (3/12)
#86: "Jungle Theme" - [NES] Contra (2/12)
#87: "Whoa Zone" - [Wii] Super Paper Mario (4/12)
#88: "Bubblegloop Swamp" - [N64] Banjo-Kazooie (3/12)
#89: "Minish Woods" - [GBA] The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (4/12)
#90: "Windmill Hills" - [WiiU] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (1/12)
#91: "Tide Goes Out" - [WiiU] Splatoon (1/12)
#92: "Green Yards" - [GCN] Pikmin 2 (2/12)
#93: "Raid Battle" - [MOBILE] Pokémon Go (0/12)
#94: "Ruins'n Vains - Deep Forest Stage" - [PS2] Mega Man X7 (1/12)
#95: "Astalos: The Thunderclaw Wyvern" - [3DS] Monster Hunter Generations (1/12)
#96: "That Stubborn Tree!" - [WiiU] Kirby and the Rainbow Curse (1/12)
#97: "Drowsy" - [WiiU] Dr. Luigi (0/12)
#98: "World Map Theme" - [CDi] Link: The Faces of Evil (0/12)
#99: "This World Isn't an Illusion" - [WiiU] Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (0/12)
#100: "Piranha Jungle" - [PC] Tadpole Treble (0/12)
[close]

By the way... did you notice?
You know how I kept saying that each round had no melodies from games that were on the prior round?

Well, guess what? Without telling you, I'd taken it a step further. The whole truth is that no single game appeared in twice in any of these 100 melodies. This means that in these four rounds, 100 different games were represented, for the purpose of gauging scores over as wide a variety of games as possible.
[close]

Note: These statistics will only concern the following nine players who competed in all four rounds:
  • Dekkadeci
  • Dudeman
  • InsigTurtle
  • Latios212
  • Maelstrom
  • Static
  • ThatHiddenCharacter
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Yug_Guy

CUMULATIVE SCORES BY DIFFICULTY:

Easy (32)
Dudeman (29) - [7, 8, 7, 7]
Yug_Guy (25)
WaluigiTime64 (23)
Static (20)
Latios212, ThatHiddenCharacter (19)
InsigTurtle (13)
Maelstrom (11)
Dekkadeci (10)

Looks like Dudeman doesn't miss a beat with his absolutely stunning score of 29 out of 32 Easy melodies correct!

And congratulations to our runner-up, Yug_Guy with 25 out of 32 Easy melodies correct!

Average Score: 18.78 (58.7%)

List of All Easy Melodies
Round A:
#6: "Realm Overworld" / "Full Steam Ahead" - [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (3/10)

Round B:
#31: "Venturing into the Mechanised World" / "Patched Pathway" - [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot (6/10)

Round C:

Round D:
#82: "Forest of Mystery" / "Lost Woods" - [SNES] The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (6/12)
[close]
[close]

Medium (32)
Dudeman (13) - [4, 2, 4, 3]
Yug_Guy (10)
Latios212 (9)
WaluigiTime64 {8}
Dekkadeci (6)
Static (5)
InsigTurtle, Maelstrom (4)
ThatHiddenCharacter (3)

Dudeman's got his video game soundtracks down with 13 out of 32 Medium melodies correct!

And congratulations to our runner-up, Yug_Guy, with 10 out of 32 Medium melodies correct!

Average Score: 6.89 (21.5%)

List of All Medium Melodies
Round A:
#11: "Vs. Suicune" / "Vs. Legendary Beast" - [GBC] Pokémon Crystal Version (3/10)

Round B:

Round C:
#62: "Great Canyon" - [MUL] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red & Blue Rescue Team (3/12)

Round D:
#85: "Rival's Theme" / "Battle! (Wally)" - [3DS] Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (3/12)
[close]
[close]

Hard (36)
Dudeman (4) - [0, 3, 0, 1]
WaluigiTime64 (4) - [1, 2, 1, 0]
Latios212, Maelstrom, Static (3)
Dekkadeci, InsigTurtle (2)
Yug_Guy (1)
ThatHiddenCharacter (0)

Two people I definitely can't fool are Dudeman and WaluigiTime64, each with 4 out of 36 Hard melodies correct!

And congratulations to our three runner-ups: Latios212, Maelstrom, and Static, each with 3 out of 36 Hard melodies correct! The funny thing is that all five of you would have been tied... but memes called and then there was melody #42 WAIT WOAH IT'S MELODY #42 SNOW HALATION IS THE MEANING OF LIFE CONFIRMED

Average Score: 2.44 (6.8%)

List of All Hard Melodies
Round A:
#17: "Dark Crater" - [NDS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time & Darkness (2/10)
#21: "Gensokyo Millenium ~ History of the Moon" - [PC] Touhou 8: Imperishable Night (3/10)

Round B:
#44: "Secret Maze On The Sea Of No Return" - [GBC] The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (1/10)

Round C:
#68: "Final Boss" / "Doom Dragon Battle" - [GBA] Golden Sun: The Lost Age (0/12)
#70: "The Ground's Color is Yellow" - [PC] Touhou Hisouten ~ Scarlet Weather Rhapsody (1/12)

Round D:
#95: "Astalos: The Thunderclaw Wyvern" - [3DS] Monster Hunter Generations (1/12)
[close]
[close]

mastersuperfan

CUMULATIVE SCORES BY SERIES:

Mario (15)
WaluigiTime64 (9) - [3, 3, 2, 1]
Static {8}
Dudeman, ThatHiddenCharacter (6)
InsigTurtle (5)
Latios212 (4)
Maelstrom, Yug_Guy (3)
Dekkadeci (0)

Looks like WaluigiTime64 is our resident Mario music master with 9 out of 15 melodies correct!

And congratulations to our runner-up, Static, with 8 out of 15 Mario melodies correct! You definitely had the edge over Waluigi in the Paper Mario games, but his Mario Kart advantage certainly didn't let him down...

Average Score: 4.89 (32.6%)

List of All Mario Melodies
Round A:

Round B:
#34: "Adventure's End" - [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (1/10)

Round C:

Round D:
[close]
[close]

Kirby (15)
Dekkadeci {8} - [3, 1, 1, 3]
Dudeman (7)
Latios212, Static, ThatHiddenCharacter (6)
WaluigiTime64 (5)
Yug_Guy (4)
Maelstrom (1)
InsigTurtle (0)

Having recognized 8 out of 15 melodies correctly, Dekkadeci seems to be the expert on Kirby music 'round these parts!

And congratulations to our runner-up, Dudeman, with 7 out of 15 Kirby melodies correct! Of all people, I wasn't expecting you to be up there, but what can I say? A few Kirby games plus a healthy dose of high-quality rips can really go a long way...

Average Score: 4.78 (31.9%)

List of All Kirby Melodies
Round A:

Round B:

Round C:

Round D:
[close]
[close]

Pokémon (15)
Latios212 (12) - [3, 3, 4, 2]
InsigTurtle {8}
Dudeman (7)
Yug_Guy (6)
WaluigiTime64 (4)
Dekkadeci, ThatHiddenCharacter (1)
Maelstrom, Static (0)

It should come as no surprise that Pokémon music overlord Latios212 blows away the rest of the competition with a fantastic score of 12 out of 15 melodies correct! Now only if you'd gotten "Battle! (Solgaleo/Lunala)" on the first round...

And congratulations to our runner-up, InsigTurtle, with 8 out of 15 Pokémon melodies correct! It was close, but it looks like you barely edged out the rest of the competition with your knowledge not only of main series games but also of Mystery Dungeon too!

Average Score: 4.33 (28.9%)

List of All Pokémon Melodies
Round A:

Round B:

Round C:

Round D:
[close]
[close]

Zelda (15)
Dudeman (10) - [2, 3, 3, 2]
Yug_Guy {8}
Maelstrom, Static (4)
Latios212, ThatHiddenCharacter (3)
WaluigiTime64 (2)
Dekkadeci, InsigTurtle (1)

Though it's certainly no shocker, serious props to Dudeman, for with 10 out of 15 melodies he's clearly proven himself to be no less than NSM's specialist in Zelda music!

And congratulations to our runner-up, Yug_Guy, with 8 out of 15 Zelda melodies correct! With the rest of the competition (aside from Dudeman) miles behind you, it looks like you're nothing short of a Zelda music aficionado yourself.

Average Score: 4 (26.7%)

List of All Zelda Melodies
Round A:

Round B:

Round C:

Round D:
[close]
[close]

Miscellaneous (40)
Dudeman (16) - [4, 4, 2, 6]
WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy (15)
Maelstrom, Static (10)
Dekkadeci {8}
Latios212, ThatHiddenCharacter (6)
InsigTurtle (5)

It was close, but the results show that Dudeman knows the widest range of Miscellaneous video game music here, with a fantastic score of 16 out of 40 melodies correct!

And congratulations to our two runner-ups, WaluigiTime64 and Yug_Guy, who were just oh-so-close to Dudeman with scores of 15 out of 40 Miscellaneous melodies correct! With such a strong lead over the other six competitors, though, it looks like your strength in recognizing a variety of video game soundtracks is unparalleled by nobody but him.

Average Score: 10.1 (25.3%)

List of All Miscellaneous Melodies
Round A:

Round B:

Round C:

Round D:
[close]
[close]

THE FINAL RESULTS

Honorable Mention
I just wanted to thank this player for their undying participation in the face of all adversity. With a finishing score of 19, congratulations to...
InsigTurtle!

With an absolutely grand 7th place overall finish!

Quote from: InsigTurtle on July 24, 2017, 08:54:08 PMtime to try my best, as always!

I daresay you deserve some victory music for the wonderful performance you've showed me all these four rounds:

[close]
[close]

3rd Place
Congratulations to the third place finisher, with a finishing score of 35...
WaluigiTime64!

You performed admirably in the first two rounds, maintaining a consistent 2nd place ranking. Unfortunately, you might have been a little starved of Mario Kart in the last two rounds, since I couldn't overdo it... but in the end, you still came out strong with a solid 3rd place finish, only barely below the 2nd place score. Congratulations, Mario music master. You could say my hat is off to you.
[close]
[close]

2nd Place
Congratulations to the second place finisher, with a finishing score of 36...
Yug_Guy!

You might not have seemed like the biggest threat starting out, especially with the Galaxy and Galaxy 2 tracks in the first round, but with each round you've risen steadily in both score and rank and proven yourself to be a competent force among melody quiz participants. And for your extensive knowledge of video game music that both encompasses and goes beyond popular Nintendo series, I applaud you.
[close]
[close]

1st Place
Though it's no surprise by now, congratulations to the victor, with a finishing score of 46...
DUDEMAN!!!

You are the melody quiz CHAMPION! Except for me, of course

I think we all expected this from the moment I posted the first round, but to see you perform so spectacularly on these quizzes, having recognized nearly half the melodies in these four rounds, even when I know some pretty dang obscure stuff... you certainly have not disappointed me. I don't know how you do it, but your experience with video game music must have certainly been a rich and fulfilling one.

Congratulations to you, Dudeman, for being the ultimate victor of this four-part round.

YOU GOT:
Victory music!

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Score List
1st: Dudeman (46)
2nd: Yug_Guy (36)
3rd: WaluigiTime64 (35)
4th: Latios212 (31)
5th: Static (28)
6th: ThatHiddenCharacter (22)
7th: InsigTurtle (19)
8th: Dekkadeci, Maelstrom (18)

Average Score: 28.11 (28.11%)
[close]

SCORE SPREADSHEET

And with that, my final thoughts...
Well, it's been quite a ride, hasn't it?

I'm not actually sure to say now that's over now, huh. So I guess you'll just see me ramble on a bit before I finally close the book on this four-part competition.

I'm not sure what inspired me to do this in the first place, really. I hardly thought the whole "four-part round" thing would take off at all, considering that Dudeman would be the obvious winner from the start.

But it seems, maybe, that it ended up generating more hype then I thought it could. And in the end, I think a lot of interesting moments and tidbits really did result from having a 100-melody quiz with 100 different games.

Regardless, I want to thank the nine of you sincerely for having participated in my rounds for a long time now, even though some of you have been busy, and even though some of you struggle to get even a few melodies. I know that all of you are acquainted with a wide and unique variety of games and soundtracks that really might not be reflected in the scores of these quizzes--after all, this was mostly big Nintendo franchise music.

And trust me, the future quizzes you see from me will be much more lenient--most particularly with fewer Hard melodies, which I think perhaps took up too many of these melodies when I wasn't expecting many, or any participants to get it in the first place.

So after all this, what's next?

...Well. Now that my numbering has been all thrown off, I figure I might as well keep it that way--especially considering what I've got planned in store for next time. The next round you'll see is the MSF Special Round 1... and special it most certainly is. So stay tuned, folks.

And with that... the 100-melody round has come to a close.
[close]

I'm never doing this again I swear