News:

It's not Opposite Day.

Main Menu

The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeviR.star

Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

ThatHiddenCharacter

Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Dudeman on August 28, 2017, 05:15:07 PMOh. Wow. I won. Wasn't expecting that.

Wasn't expecting to be so close to you, either... I probably could've tied it up with you if I'd bothered to look for the Shovel Knight one but I didn't also I'm totally intentionally letting Dudeman catch up to me on the leaderboard on purpose to make it look closer heehee

For the record, it seems like #1 on my quiz isn't nearly as iconic as I thought. Whoops. I've had a couple people tell me that #2 should've been put at #1's spot instead, but... oh, well.

11 people have submitted answers now:

Scoreboard (Update #3)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  |  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  |  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25
[close]

The Easy section's looking better than I expected, actually. I'm definitely liking this 13 Miscellaneous structure over what I did with Rounds A-C so far. I'm quite confused about the fact that nobody's recognized #16 so far, but I did admittedly pick a somewhat difficult part of the song (#15 and #16 are definitely the trickiest ones in the Medium section).

Anyways, hints have been requested for #6 and #10, and you can find them below. (Given that this is the last round, I'm sure we'll be seeing even more hints pop up soon...)

Requested Hints (3) - #6, #10, #23
  • #6: From one of the four main series. 8-bit track. Has received numerous remixes in later games of the series.
  • #10: From one of the four main series. Heard sometime during the second half of the game (main game only, not including extra modes/bonus levels/postgame content). Played by a rock guitar.
  • #23: From one of the four main series. The game was released before the year 2000. This game has been used once and only once before in a melody quiz, and nobody got it. (I was not the one who used it.) Also, if you still don't think this is enough, then take the time to think about why I might be having trouble giving hints about this melody/game.
[close]
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Dudeman

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 28, 2017, 05:40:55 PMWasn't expecting to be so close to you, either... I probably could've tied it up with you if I'd bothered to look for the Shovel Knight one but I didn't also I'm totally intentionally letting Dudeman catch up to me on the leaderboard on purpose to make it look closer heehee
Fun fact, heh, um...I didn't actually know that melody as it was written; the high-quality rip of it uses that third measure unedited though, and I recognized that. :P
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Dudeman on August 28, 2017, 05:59:58 PMFun fact, heh, um...I didn't actually know that melody as it was written; the high-quality rip of it uses that third measure unedited though, and I recognized that. :P

Seems like that happens on quite a few quizzes, doesn't it? *cough*

Also lolwut how'd you get Gruntilda last time but not this time
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Dudeman

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 28, 2017, 06:01:40 PMAlso lolwut how'd you get Gruntilda last time but not this time
Too far in this time. t!t lenny

mikey

unmotivated

mastersuperfan

Oops. Sorry.

There's also a hint for #21 (well, I guess we all know now who asked for that one):

Requested Hints (4) - #6, #10, #21, #23
  • #6: From one of the four main series. 8-bit track. Has received numerous remixes in later games of the series.
  • #10: From one of the four main series. Heard sometime during the second half of the game (main game only, not including extra modes/bonus levels/postgame content). Played by a rock guitar.
  • #21: From one of the four main series. Boss battle theme that plays for multiple bosses, with slight variations for each boss. Most of the melody is electronic synth.
  • #23: From one of the four main series. The game was released before the year 2000. This game has been used once and only once before in a melody quiz, and nobody got it. (I was not the one who used it.) Also, if you still don't think this is enough, then take the time to think about why I might be having trouble giving hints about this melody/game.
[close]

mastersuperfan

Hints for #9 and #20! (Geez, we're having a lot of these... this is what happens when half the competitors have 3 hints left for a single quiz...)

Requested Hints (6) - #6, #9, #10, #20, #21, #23
  • #9: From one of the four main series. Nintendo DS game. The track is very similar to other songs in different games in the same series; they're most likely based off one another.
  • #20: Not from one of the four main series. Nintendo 3DS game. Boss battle theme that is specific to one boss only.
  • #21: From one of the four main series. Boss battle theme that plays for multiple bosses, with slight variations for each boss. Most of the melody is electronic synth.
[close]

mastersuperfan

Three more hints have been requested, for, of all things, #1, #2, and #25:

Requested Hints (9) - #1, #2, #6, #9, #10, #20, #21, #23, #25
  • #1: From one of the four main series. Played by a woodwind instrument that sounds like a recorder (I happen to know of a cover that plays the melody with a recorder). It's iconic enough to have received remixes in two other games within the same main series; however, it hasn't appeared in any Smash Bros. game, while multiple other songs from the same game have.
  • #2: Not from one of the four main series. Not from the first game in its series, yet still iconic. Heard sometime during the first half of the game (main game only, not including extra modes/bonus levels/postgame content).
  • #9: From one of the four main series. Nintendo DS game. The track is very similar to other songs in different games in the same series; they're most likely based off one another.
  • #20: Not from one of the four main series. Nintendo 3DS game. Boss battle theme that is specific to one boss only.
  • #25: Not from one of the four main series. Originally released for PC and then later on a Nintendo console. The last two measures are played by a flute (I honestly don't know what the heck is playing the rest).
[close]

mastersuperfan

Sorry for the many many consecutive posts, but the hint spam continues! First of all, though, scoreboard update! 12 players have submitted now. We might get another competitor, but there's a good chance this is where the participation caps out, so this will probably be the last update. (Some people are still scrambling to follow up on their hints, though, while I'm sitting back here and laughing at their futile efforts...)

Scoreboard (Update #4)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  |  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  |  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25
[close]

Now featuring hints for #5 and #12:

Requested Hints (11) - #1, #2, #5, #6, #9, #10, #12, #20, #21, #23, #25
  • #1: From one of the four main series. Played by a woodwind instrument that sounds like a recorder (I happen to know of a cover that plays the melody with a recorder). It's iconic enough to have received remixes in two other games within the same main series; however, it hasn't appeared in any Smash Bros. game, while multiple other songs from the same game have.
  • #2: Not from one of the four main series. Not from the first game in its series, yet still iconic. Heard sometime during the first half of the game (main game only, not including extra modes/bonus levels/postgame content).
  • #5 Not from one of the four main series. Iconic 8-bit track, and definitely the most well-known theme from the game--it's the music that is primarily heard during gameplay. Has also gained popularity through prominent Smash Bros. remixes.
  • #12: From one of the four main series. Plays in a level/area that is reached sometime around the halfway point of the game (main game only, not including extra modes/bonus levels/postgame content). This was the only section of the track that I could feasibly transcribe while still expecting others to recognize it.
  • #25: Not from one of the four main series. Originally released for PC and then later on a Nintendo console. The last two measures are played by a flute (I honestly don't know what the heck is playing the rest).
[close]

mikey

Tfw you request hints for games you've never played
unmotivated

InsigTurtle

So. This will probably be my last melody quiz (for a while, at least) due to business and busyness. So there's a catch this time. The last melody, you'll have to figure out with only the first note, which might or might not be wrong. Sound stupid? Yeah, it is. But perfectly doable. Also, I'd advise you to send in guesses as soon as you get them. This time, everyone gets one hint that'll be shared with everyone so everyone can be happy together with everyone. Hints will be posted on the oh-so-lovable scoreboard, along with an update here.

Hints for #18 so it isn't impossible right now. Don't overthink it, it's just what it says on the package:
- The first note might or might not be correct
- The key signature and time signature might not be correct
- There might be hints hidden throughout the previous melodies
- To help with getting 18, some melodies might be repeated from previous quizzes

Quiz!
Scoreboard!

Dekkadeci

I can't even open the PDF with my phone for Insig's quiz.