News:

Don't forget to submit your daily replacement!

Main Menu

The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 12, 2017, 07:42:39 PM
10 (1/6)
Hartmann's Youkai Girl (Touhou 10: Subterranean Animism)
Timestamp: 0:20
[close]

AGH

Also I've got 9 on Dekka's right now and I think I might be able to get 10 I've got 10 now I'm up to 11
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Dekkadeci

Dang it, I knew #10 of Maelstrom's quiz sounded more familiar than #9.

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

E. Gadd Industries

"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

ThatHiddenCharacter

And now I have to retype this entire post because my WiFi decided to stop working suddenly. Here's my quiz. Because I was feeling lazy, 8-15 (a.k.a. the second half of the quiz) are all Mario songs. Also because I was feeling lazy, everything is either extremely easy or extremely difficult. PM me or message me via Discord. Good Luck!
I hate typing.
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

Dekkadeci

Here are the answers to my latest quiz:

"Brinstar", from Metroid, used as a stage theme
Timestamp: 0:38

Quite possibly the most famous song in the entire Metroid series--at least if you've played any Smash Bros. games. So, naturally, a lot of people got this correct.

4 out of 4 people got this correct.
People who got this correct
Dudeman, mastersuperfan, ThatHiddenCharacter, Yug_Guy
[close]
[close]

"Head Honcho Carpaccio", from Wario: Master of Disguise, used as Carpaccio's boss theme
Timestamp: 0:00

IMO, this is the best song in the Wario: Master of Disguise OST. But I'm a sucker for tarantellas, so of course I'm biased.

It's rare to find a rock tarantella in an OST anyway, isn't it?

In the meantime, I'm not sure whether this counts as a Mario song or not. Wario branched out pretty hard in the WarioWare series, so...

0 out of 4 people got this correct.
[close]
[close]

"The Ultimate Show", from Super Paper Mario, used as the final boss theme
Timestamp: 0:29

Yeah, this song is actually spoiler-ridden if you've gotten part of the way through the game--note this melody's resemblance to "It's Showtime"...which I marked as incorrect because it's in the wrong meter and the wrong key.

Zero points for guessing that the same boss is involved with these two boss themes at this point.

3 out of 4 people got this correct.
mastersuperfan, ThatHiddenCharacter, Yug_Guy
[close]
[close]

"Ordeal Boss (Orchestra)"/"Ordeal! (Orchestral)", from Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, used as a boss theme
Timestamp: 0:32

I also accepted "Ordeal Boss (Electronic)"--the two are slight remixes of each other, anyway.

This melody has one of the most obvious uses of a Neapolitan chord (a bII chord) I've ever heard in Kirby music. This counts using Neapolitan chords "properly" like classical music would, not the bII spam heavy metal tends to do.

Good for Jun Ishikawa and Hirokazu Ando for branching out. Give me more of that next time--this is already one of my favourite Kirby boss themes of all time (including character-specific boss themes).

And it's pleasantly unusual how this song sounds like it's in verse-chorus form...

1 out of 4 people got this correct.
mastersuperfan
[close]
[close]

"Battle! (Gladion)"/"Vs. Gladion"/"Gladion Battle Theme"/"Rival Gladion Battle Music"/"Gladion's Theme", from Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon, used as Gladion's battle theme
Timestamp: 0:42

I was going to use different Pokemon songs instead, but then I found that this one was the easiest to transcribe. Sigh.

Dudeman, mastersuperfan, Yug_Guy
[close]
[close]

"Everfrost Peak", from Diddy Kong Racing, used as a racetrack theme
Timestamp: 0:45

As much as the Diddy Kong Racing DS version mucks around a bit with note lengths and octave voicing, I also decided to accept that later version.

Fun fact: this is the very first VGM theme I tried to arrange for piano. Yeah, I forgot around half the song back then. My theme and variations for this song weren't going anywhere back then. Oh yeah, I think I was working on it with Finale Notepad...in 2008 or earlier.

Shucks, when ThatHiddenCharacter put a Diddy Kong Racing song in a Guess-The-Song quiz, I thought that indicated he knew a fair chunk of that game's OST...guess I may be mistaken.

[close]
[close]

"The Defender (Black Knight Battle)", from Shovel Knight, used as the Black Knight's last boss theme
Timestamp: 0:17

...In case the above doesn't work, there's always this link.

And no, the Black Knight is not a multi-stage boss, where his stages would get fought consecutively. He just gets fought more than once in the game.

Yeah, I purposefully cut off this melody right before it hits the "Strike the Earth!"-like motif the Black Knight seems fond of quoting. But hey, at least this is one of the strongest and most consonant melodies in this piece!

If you want trickier, the later parts of this piece start sounding like "In the Halls of the Usurper", and the chromatic run in the second loop's version of the intro sounds like it could have come out of "The Destroyer".

1 out of 4 people got this correct.
mastersuperfan
[close]
[close]

"Splattack!", from Splatoon, used as the title theme
Timestamp: 0:39

It's the most famous theme in Splatoon! ...And I still can't stand that high-pitched gibberish singing.

I'm surprised how many of you got this correct.

[close]
[close]

"Monty on the Run"/"Monty on the Run Theme"/"Main Theme", from Monty on the Run, used as the title theme
Timestamp: 0:36

This is apparently another seminal 8-bit tune, to the point that I Wanna Be the Guy also used this song.

Fun fact: this song (especially this melody) is based on "Devil's Galop" by someone named Charles Williams. You might know that song better as the song Monty Python's "Spanish Inquisition" sketch used.

[close]
[close]

"Shadow Showdown"/"Final Boss", from Drawn to Life, used as the final boss theme

I found this song a wee bit too difficult to transcribe back when I was compiling the final boss bonus section of my 4th Guess-The-Song quiz, mainly because multiple (counter-)melody lines are often playing at once. I found a section that was playing one unambiguous melody line (the very start) and used it for this quiz.

...Yeah, this song is obscure enough that this was a candidate for #5b in that old bonus section. But it somehow has several piano arrangements on YouTube...

[close]
[close]

"Final of Puyo Puyo", from Puyo Puyo, used as the final boss theme
Timestamp: 1:03

"2 Player", from Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, used as a multiplayer stage theme
Timestamp: 0:58

Lots of companies love slapping their own characters on others' puzzle games. Yes, I fully accepted both songs above--Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is blatantly based on the Puyo Puyo series, anyway, down to the items the characters drop and several other songs.

This song choice is a bit influenced by LuxraySpiral's inclusion of a Puyo Puyo song in an earlier Guess-The-Song quiz, so I decided to put in likely the most famous Puyo Puyo song (mainly famous because it showed up in a Sonic game, too). Dang, guess it's not that famous after all.

[close]
[close]

"Above the Halberd", from Kirby Super Star, used as a cutscene theme

I'm still convinced this song rips its characteristic rhythm from "Mars" from The Planets (by Gustav Holst).

At any rate, the Kirby series has been increasing the rate it remixes this short song lately. Why it gets stapled to the other Kirby themes it does, I have no idea...

Dudeman, mastersuperfan, ThatHiddenCharacter
[close]
[close]

"Bird That Carries You Over A Disproportionately Small Gap", from Undertale

Hey, I just like this song.

I was worried people wouldn't recognize it from the first 4 bars only, so I tacked on the fifth. I wonder how many people the fifth bar helped...

[close]
[close]

"Opening", from Super Smash Bros. Melee, used as the intro theme
Timestamp: 0:29

I included this melody because later Smash Bros. songs do quote it. Yup, this definitely has the familiar factor for several of you.

[close]
[close]

"Grasswalk", from Plants vs. Zombies, used as the first stage theme
Timestamp: 0:25

Due to multiple people actually getting my last Plants vs. Zombies song correct, I tried to find an easy-to-transcribe melody from that OST that wasn't from the only Plants vs. Zombies song I fully remembered (the mini-game theme). Despite being from nearly 30 seconds into a rather drab background theme (IMO), I guess this melody was not only correctly transcribed, it's also memorable.

2 out of 4 people got this correct.
mastersuperfan, ThatHiddenCharacter
[close]
[close]

"Windmill Hut", from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Timestamp: 0:07

I also ended up accepting "Song of Storms" from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time as correct, even though it's technically shorter than this melody, because pretty much every remix uses the fuller "Windmill Hut" theme and then credits it as "Song of Storms" instead.

...Including the Super Smash Bros. Brawl remix. Here's looking at you.

[close]
[close]

Results
mastersuperfan wins with 11 melodies!

# of Melodies Participants Got Correct:
  • mastersuperfan: 11
  • ThatHiddenCharacter: 8
  • Dudeman: 7
  • Yug_Guy: 7
[close]

...Only 4 people competed in this round?!? Shucks.

ThatHiddenCharacter

Might wanna double check that post. Video for #3 is wrong and you skipped #4.

Also, come on! Grasswalk is an amazing theme!

Dekkadeci

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on August 14, 2017, 04:24:55 PMMight wanna double check that post. Video for #3 is wrong and you skipped #4.
I am in the process of editing the post. I have no clue why, but every time I put the #3 and #4 entries into the post, the title of #3 remains but the contents of #4 are in it. #3 otherwise doesn't show up at all.

EDIT: I fixed the post now. Dang it, I mis-typed tags and didn't notice the first few times...

Dudeman

Man, and I thought I was doing really good by having 7 answers on a Dekka quiz. Yes, MSF, before you express incredulity, I am not terribly familiar with The Ultimate Show. Sorry to disappoint.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mastersuperfan

I'm more surprised about the fact that you got #12.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Dudeman

Planet Robobot, my friend. Helps with a lot of things.

ThatHiddenCharacter

Quote from: Dudeman on August 14, 2017, 04:39:23 PMMan, and I thought I was doing really good by having 7 answers on a Dekka quiz. Yes, MSF, before you express incredulity, I am not terribly familiar with The Ultimate Show. Sorry to disappoint.
I'm surprised I got higher than you. But I guess it's only beacause of The Ultimate Show.

Dudeman

...actually yeah, that would be the one to push you ahead, wouldn't it? Good job. I expected nothing less from the Green Thunder.

ThatHiddenCharacter

Read If You Dare!
To be fair, I was half of that boss.
[close]

mastersuperfan