News:

Spotted an error on the main site? Let us know!

Main Menu

The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

the hell

Since when did the Pikmin 1 theme have actual music
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Olimar12345

It's the theme that reoccurs very frequently throughout the entire series. In fact, it's also used as title theme music for every game (minus H!P that I know of).

@Waluigi the tiny snippet you used of it makes it nearly impossible to pin down which one it is.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Maelstrom

Dudeman

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 09, 2017, 06:47:06 AM
New-Age Retro Hippie - Earthbound:
Hippie Battle - Earthbound Beginnings:

Accepted either answer. I was kinda hoping to bamboozle people with this one, but 3 people are better than that.
[close]
nooooooooooooooo :(
Sweden (Calm 3) - Minecraft:

brown bricks

Also this is a fairly well-known song and I expected more than 1 person to get it. Good nostalgia for me actually.
[close]
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO D:
Main Theme - Pikmin:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This didn't bamboozle a grand total of 1 person.
[close]
You all just make me sad. For shame. I don't even like Pikmin.

EDIT:
Quote from: Maelstrom on August 09, 2017, 09:03:49 AMA Melody Quiz
[midi] [.mus] [.musx] [PDF]

This quiz. This is talent. I am impressed.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Olimar12345

Quote from: Dudeman on August 09, 2017, 09:28:35 AMYou all just make me sad. For shame. I don't even like Pikmin.

First of all, how dare you.

Secondly, shame on Waluigi. Twas really a dick move to use that melody and only accept one answer when I could easily post like 8 examples of it of the top of my head.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

WaluigiTime64

Oh I would've been perfectly fine with any other answer that used the motif the exact same way. Only one person gave an answer that did.

Plus being the first song and having appeared in Smash I figured some people would get it that way.

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 07, 2017, 04:41:06 AMA few things about this quiz:
 - If there's a motif, I might want specifics (implying there is one, even though you don't necessarily know that).
tbh I probably scared people with this. I can't ask for specifics when a motif is used the exact same way multiple times, plus I was prepared to be quite lenient with this one (with a range of about 10BPM fast and slow).

So it was not the greatest idea to laugh about it, but I can't say I was completely unfair. I just needed a reasonably correct answer.

also Mael what even is this quiz
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Maelstrom

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Dudeman on August 09, 2017, 09:28:35 AM
Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 09, 2017, 06:47:06 AM
Sweden (Calm 3) - Minecraft:

brown bricks

Also this is a fairly well-known song and I expected more than 1 person to get it. Good nostalgia for me actually.
[close]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO D:

hee hee heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Maelstrom

To make my quiz a little easier, I'm thinking of posting a list of things in common between each pair of games. Any thoughts?

Dudeman

List of things in common between each pair of games:
1. The melody
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Maelstrom

Hints for each pair
#1 - Both are the same genre and at least one game from the series, but not all, on the same system.
#2 - The furthest apart in terms of release dates. Both have similar types of enemies.
#3 - Strangely, the 2nd song came first, even though the game took a lot of ideas from the first.
#4 - Both are handheld RPGs. Hints because only one person got one of these and these aren't easy.
#5 - These games have bizarrely similar gameplay, despite being different genres.

Dudeman

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 11, 2017, 04:19:18 PM#5 - These games have bizarrely similar gameplay, despite being different genres.
AHA, I had a feeling #10 was [REDACTED]!

that's a crapton of songs though so nvm

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Dudeman on August 11, 2017, 04:22:15 PMAHA, I had a feeling #10 was [REDACTED]!

that's a crapton of songs though so nvm

Literally my exact thoughts

Dekkadeci

So apparently ThatHiddenCharacter's quiz isn't ready yet, so after I got PM'd to host this round, here's my sixth Guess-The-Song Quiz:
[PDF] | [MIDI] | [MUS] | [MSCZ]

The MUS is readable in Finale, including Finale Notepad. The MSCZ is readable in Musescore. All other files are based on the original MSCZ, not the MUS--this explains why the PDF doesn't look like the MUS.
The MUS may display and/or play back bugged. The MSCZ, MIDI, and PDF shouldn't.

This quiz is likely around the same difficulty as my last quiz, though don't feel too bad if you only get one or two! PM away!

You can PM answers to me until Monday, August 14 at 5:00 PM MDT (a.k.a. Tuesday, August 15 12:00 AM forum default time). I will not count any submissions made after that time, as I'll be too busy tallying results.
Results will be posted shortly afterwards.

Some guidelines for answering, how the melodies are transcribed, and what counts as a correct answer--oh yeah, and some hints right off the bat:
  • You may submit YouTube links/videos instead of game name-song name/best known use pairs.
  • All tempos are approximate.
  • Like last time, I will mark unambiguous songs with the right melody in the right key as correct. If your guess has the right melody in the wrong key, I will mark it as incorrect but PM back that you were close. You can freely guess again until the deadline.
  • I may not have gotten octave voicings correct in this quiz. If you think you've got the right song but it's off by an octave or two in parts, just guess that song anyway.
  • I may not have gotten articulations correct in this quiz.
  • As before, I PM hints! If you can't figure out the song at all, but you guess the series the melody is from and/or give a YouTube link to a similar-sounding piece, I'll PM back about whether you're on the right track.
  • #3 and the fourth bar of #8 are less likely to be completely melodically and/or rhythmically accurate than the rest of the melodies.
  • The last note of #4 is cut off.
  • There is finally a Zelda song in this quiz!
  • There's also at least one Pokemon song, at least one Mario song, and at least one Kirby song in this quiz. ...OK, each of these series has at most two songs.
  • Other than the three series above, none of the other songs share a series.

Maelstrom

Answers now because I forgot
1 (4/6)
Wind Scene (Chrono Trigger)
Timestamp: 0:00
Probably the easiest song on the quiz.
[close]
2 (0/6)
Game Over (Breath of Fire 3)
When I found out about this song, I couldn't not use it in the quiz, even if it was a bit mean. It's just so close to ripping of the original it's hilarious.
[close]
3 (4/6)
Bloody Tears (Castlevania 2)
Someone might have already used this.....
[close]
4 (0/6)
Six Feet Thunder (Crypt of the NecroDancer Amplified)
Timestamp: 0:18
Ok, like a lot of these second melodies, this was a tad obscure.
[close]
5 (1/6)
Pursuit ~ Wanting to Find the Truth (Ace Attorney Investigations 2)
Timestamp: 0:12
A little obscure, but this pair was one of the first things I think of when I think of video game songs sounding suspiciously close to each other.
[close]
6 (0/6)
Endless Nine (Umineko)
Timestamp: 0:38
MUSICAL SPOILERS FOR UMINEKO if you care about that sort of thing.
Just go play Umineko. You won't regret it.
[close]
7 (1/6)
A World Where Blossoms Fall
Just one person got it? Eh, ok. I've only indoctrinated Latios into the cult of Bravely Default music.
[close]
8 (0/6)
Where Wind and Feathers Return (Radiant Historia)
I even posted that these two songs sounded really similar a while ago. Ok, maybe a long time ago.
[close]
9 (3/6)
Your Best Nightmare (Undertale)
Timestamp: 2:55
Literally the next song. Fun fact: the next phase is literally the bassline of the PC-98 Bad Apple with small modifications. It's even in the same key.
[close]
10 (1/6)
Hartmann's Youkai Girl (Touhou 10: Subterranean Animism)
Timestamp: 0:20
[close]

Scoreboard
MasterSuperFan - 4 (1, 3, 5, 9)
Yug Guy - 3 (1, 3, 9)
Static - 2 (1, 10)
Latios - 2 (1, 7)
Dudeman - 2 (3, 9)
Dekka - 1 (3)
[close]