News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

Nine people have submitted. Current scoreboard is as follows:

Scoreboard (Update #2)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25
[close]

...#7, anyone? Hello, #7? No? Okay.

I'll reveal that between the four main series, the only one where all four melodies have been guessed so far is Kirby.

Also, don't forget that you can request a hint if you want!

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 14, 2017, 09:17:33 PM
The Hint System
Here is where things might get a little convoluted. Each of you are all going to have three hints over my next four quizzes. You can message me with a request for a hint on a specific melody if you know you've heard but you don't know where from.

The catch? I post the hint publicly in the thread for everyone to see. Be assured, however, that the person who requested the hint will remain anonymous until the end of the round.

Hints will be larger for the Hard melodies and smaller for the Easy melodies since, well, the Hard melodies are obviously harder. I would advise you to list any information about the song that you think you already know so I can avoid giving you information that overlaps that isn't useful to you.

You can use multiple hints on a single quiz if you wish. You can also choose not to use all of your hints, or any at all. You cannot, however, use multiple hints on the same melody or request a hint for a melody that someone else requested a hint for.
[close]

EDIT: For everyone's sake, a hint has been requested for #7:
  • #7: From one of the four main series. Most people will only ever hear this once in-game, but it has over a million views on a single video outside of the game, so I figured people would know it. It transitions into 7/4 in a later section of the track.

Hopefully this should be enough, but if it isn't I might tack on a small bit more. Only time will tell...
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Dekkadeci

Here are the answers to my latest quiz:

~~~~~Main Section~~~~~

"You Will Know Our Names"(/"Those Who Bear Their Name"), from Xenoblade Chronicles, used as the "unique monster" battle theme
Timestamp: 1:22

This is one of the most famous songs in this quiz...I think. I picked a slightly obscure section for it (the strong cadence), but I didn't expect anyone to be fooled.

Unfortunately, it seems that people were actually fooled:
Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on July 12, 2017, 02:18:14 PM#1 Sounds familiar, but not enough to base anything off of.
Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on July 12, 2017, 03:23:21 PM#1 I still have no idea, but it sounds sooo familiar.

I'm surprised Dudeman didn't even bother to guess this song.

3 out of 7 people got this correct.
People who got this correct
Maelstrom, mastersuperfan, Yug_Guy
[close]
[close]

"Exotic Pyramid", from Kirby's Return to Dream Land, used as the Raisin Ruins 3 level theme
Timestamp: 0:30

I actually first learned this song from a Japanese Kirby medley, of all things. Then I found more remixes of it, and then I figured that it wasn't too obscure for this quiz.

Any resemblance this melody has to any other video game themes you're familiar with is probably unintentional...I blame this song being in A minor and having somewhat Egyptian melodies.

0 out of 7 people got this correct.
[close]
[close]

"Galaxy Fantasy"/"Galaxy Man Stage", from Mega Man 9, used as Galaxy Man's boss theme
Timestamp: 0:23

This is one of my favourite Mega Man themes. It's one of the few that I remember. I actually have a pretty bad track record with Mega Man themes--they almost never seem quite memorable enough. Thank goodness this is an exception.

2 out of 7 people got this correct.
Dudeman, LeviR.star
[close]
[close]

"Theme B"/"B Theme"/"Tetris: Type B", from Tetris (Game Boy), used as background music
Timestamp: 0:25

I can't believe this hasn't been used in a Guess-That-Song quiz before. So I finally put it into a quiz. Naturally, a fair few of you got this correct.

Dudeman, mastersuperfan, Yug_Guy
[close]
[close]

"Circuit Theme", from Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, used as the theme of Luigi Circuit, Mario Circuit, and Yoshi Circuit
Timestamp: 0:00

I thought this would be one of the few VGM themes that people can recognize from just one bar. In this theme's case, it would be the first bar, which both introduces and ends a loop convincingly enough.

...Turns out I was right enough.

LeviR.star, mastersuperfan, ThatHiddenCharacter
[close]
[close]

"The World Could Always Use More Heroes", from Overwatch, used in the opening cinematic and the main menu
Timestamp: 0:17

It's the most famous song in...Overwatch. Well, that just might cut into its popularity around these parts.

I also accepted "...And Overwatch For All" as a correct answer, along with every other Overwatch song with this precise melody in it.

Heck, this melody appears so many times in Overwatch that I accepted this:
Quote from: Yug_Guy on July 14, 2017, 07:39:44 PM6. Main Theme - Overwatch

But, sadly, I did not accept this, as that song does not contain this precise melody (it contains, like, 2 bars of it at most):
Quote from: Maelstrom on July 15, 2017, 10:54:08 AM#6 Overwatch victory theme or whatever it is

1 out of 7 people got this correct.
Yug_Guy
[close]
[close]

"Multiplayer Battle"/"Battling", from Bomberman (DS), used as multiplayer battle background music
Timestamp: 0:01

Here I was, wondering why I wasn't encountering Bomberman songs in these quizzes...so I stuck this melody in my latest quiz and wondered which Bomberman games you'd mention in guesses for this.

So I actually ended up accepting darn near any song in this video. Yes, counting every single melodic variant in there.

...Turns out I didn't need an accepted list that large, though, as nobody even made a guess for this song. Did none of you ever play a Bomberman game in multiplayer mode with the sound on?

Maybe that's why I haven't been seeing Bomberman songs in these quizzes...

[close]
[close]

"Crystal Palace Crawl", from Paper Mario, used as a level theme
Timestamp: 0:52

Ahhh, this haunting tune...I spent a long time trying to find this song again after hearing it in Paper Mario, to the point of picking one of my piano exam pieces because it reminded me of this song. Great thing this song is on NinSheetMusic!

Static, ThatHiddenCharacter
[close]
[close]

"BGM 1"/"Level 1", from Silver Surfer (NES), used as a level theme
Timestamp: 0:11

Apparently, this song is a known property to old-school 8-bit music fans. Never underestimate what people can do with 2 square waves, a triangle wave stuck at the same volume throughout, and a noise-making sound channel.

...Where are the old-school 8-bit music fans around here? I thought the Follin brothers composed famous music!

[close]
[close]

"Meta Knight's Revenge", from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, used as a stage theme
Timestamp: 1:33

This is one of the few songs I remember from playing Super Smash Bros. Brawl (before listening to its soundtrack), and it's one of the 2-3 songs that got me into Kirby music in the first place. My biggest pet peeve is that this remix skips an entire section of its 2nd source VGM theme, "Taking Over the Halberd"...and this melody skips that section, too, which is why I marked that source theme as wrong.

...OK, I marked it half-wrong. I gave a "you were close, but find the remix with this precise melody" hint to everyone who guessed the source theme, and the hint got more revealing the closer to deadline it was (i.e. I started to reveal that the remix is not in a Kirby game). Due to deadline constraints among people who guessed the source theme, I gave 0.5 marks to everyone remaining who guessed it by the time of this post.

5 out of 7 people got this correct. 1 out of 7 people got this half-correct.
Dudeman, LeviR.star, mastersuperfan, ThatHiddenCharacter, Yug_Guy
[close]
People who got this nearly correct
Maelstrom
[close]
[close]

"ピアノ協奏曲第1番'蠍火'"/"Piano kyousoukyoku dai 1 ban 'Sasoribi'"/"(Pf Concerto Anti-Ares)"/"Sasoribi", from Beatmania IIDX 11 IIDXRED and Pop'n Music 20 Fantasia, used as a rhythm game stage theme
Timestamp: 0:30

I figured at least one of you would have at least a ghost of chance of getting this song--the one who mentioned he listened to marasy8. (There is a marasy8 piano transcription of this song.) Unfortunately, he didn't even make a guess for this song.

Oh yeah, this song has multiple long versions.

...and all versions combined have a whole bunch of piano transcriptions.

[close]
[close]

"Wings That Don't Reach", from Live A Live, used as a level theme

If you've listened to Yoko Shimomura albums, you may know this song as "Forgotten Wings" instead. Thus, I figured this is one of the most famous songs in Live A Live.

...Huh, it seems that more people around here know "A Painful Death at the Hands of a Psycho"...

[close]
[close]

"Shin Onigashima", from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, used as a stage theme
Timestamp: 0:12

Once you realize where the three Shin Onigashima songs in the above remix are from...yeah, this remix sounds hilariously metal.

To be more precise, this melody is derived from Shin Onigashima's "Title BGM".

Dudeman, Yug_Guy
[close]
[close]

"Main Theme", from Valkyrie no Densetsu (a.k.a. The Legend of Valkyrie), used as an overworld theme
Timestamp: 0:04

It's famous enough to get stuck in Namco medleys and make it into a Super Smash Bros. game. But is it famous enough for any of you to recognize it?

Well, as long as I accepted this:
Quote from: Yug_Guy on July 14, 2017, 07:39:44 PM14. Level Music - Valkyrie no Densetsu (also shows up in Smash 4's Namco 80's Retro Arcade Medley 2)

Yug_Guy
[close]
[close]

"General Guy's Theme"/"Keeping Pace"/"Vs. General Guy", from Paper Mario, used as General Guy's boss theme
Timestamp: 0:01

It's not every year that you find a boss theme in a major key. Given how whimsical Shy Guy's Toy Box is and how much like a march this is, this is one of the very few boss themes in major keys that actually sounds appropriate to me.

ThatHiddenCharacter
[close]
[close]

"Miracle Matter", from Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, used as Miracle Matter's boss theme
Timestamp: 1:10

Gotta love drones that sit on top of busy accompaniments. This won't the last time that kind of music appears in a Kirby game.

For the record, Miracle Matter is a false final boss, and for the purposes of this quiz, false final bosses don't count as final bosses.

What kind of person am I that I like this song more than 02's theme?

[close]
[close]

"Together We Ride"/"Together, We Ride!", from a lot of Fire Emblem games (starting with Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light), used as the "recruitment theme"
Timestamp: 0:06

This song's appearance in Super Smash Bros. Melee definitely boosted its popularity. On a related note, I'm sick and tired of running into remixes that use the entire SSBM medley but acknowledge only this song.

I also ended up accepting these names for this song:
Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 12, 2017, 03:23:40 PM17) "Theme of Encounter A (Book 1)" - Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem

4 out of 7 people got this correct.
Dudeman, Maelstrom, mastersuperfan, Yug_Guy
[close]
[close]

~~~~~Final Boss Bonus Section~~~~~

#1f
"Solaris Phase 2", from Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), used as the theme of the 2nd stage of the final boss
Timestamp: 0:02

Sonic games have a habit lately of using the main theme of the game as a final boss theme. ...Yeah, you might know this song better as "His World".

Dudeman, Maelstrom
[close]
[close]

#2f
"Megalovania", from Undertale, used as the Genocide route final boss theme
Timestamp: 1:52

It's the totally famous "Megalovania"! ...Except it's the least famous part. But that didn't dissuade the majority of you guessers from getting this right.

Just in case anyone guessed the final boss theme of Toby Fox's Earthbound hack, it doesn't contain this melody, so I marked that as incorrect.

5 out of 7 people got this correct.
Dudeman, Maelstrom, mastersuperfan, ThatHiddenCharacter, Yug_Guy
[close]
[close]

#3f
"Last Battle", from Cave Story, used as the final boss theme in the "best" ending
Timestamp: 0:16

It's one of the most famous songs in Cave Story. Cave Story seems to be one of those few standalone games with somewhat well-known music. Hey, I like this final boss theme.

Dudeman, Maelstrom
[close]
[close]

#4f
"Jergingha: Planet Destruction Form", from The Wonderful 101, used as the theme of the last stage of the final boss
Timestamp: 0:06

It's one of only two songs from The Wonderful 101 to be in a Super Smash Bros. game. Given how many published Top 10 (Optionally Final) Boss Theme lists it's in, I thought its making it into Super Smash Bros. was well-deserved.

...and that at least one of you would actually know this song.

Thank goodness at least one of you did!

Dudeman
[close]
[close]

#5f
"The Final Battle", from The Legendary Starfy, used as the final boss theme
Timestamp: 0:16

You may have heard of Starfy as a Super Smash Bros. assist trophy, and that might have been all you've heard about the Starfy series. ...Yeah, I suspected this was the most obscure final boss theme in this quiz.

[close]
[close]

~~~~~Results~~~~~

Main Section Results
Yug_Guy wins with 7 melodies correct!

# of Melodies Participants Got Correct:
  • Yug_Guy: 7
  • Dudeman: 5
  • mastersuperfan: 5
  • ThatHiddenCharacter: 4
  • LeviR.star: 3
  • Maelstrom: 2.5
  • Static: 1
[close]

Final Boss Bonus Section Results
Dudeman wins with 4 melodies correct!

• Dudeman: 4
  • Maelstrom: 3
  • mastersuperfan: 1
  • ThatHiddenCharacter: 1
  • Yug_Guy: 1
  • LeviR.star: 0
  • Static: 0
[close]

Both Combined Results
Dudeman gets 1st place overall with 9 melodies in total!

• Dudeman: 9 (= 5 + 4)
  • Yug_Guy: 8 (= 7 + 1)
  • mastersuperfan: 6 (= 5 + 1)
  • Maelstrom: 5.5 (= 2.5 + 3)
  • ThatHiddenCharacter: 5 (= 4 + 1)
  • LeviR.star: 3 (= 3 + 0)
  • Static: 1 (= 1 + 0)
[close]

LeviR.star

2. How could I have missed this?! Come to think of it, this isn't a very memorable track.
4. This sounded familiar... gosh darn it.
10. Alright, enough of this, Dekka. If you're going to include a remixed melody, at least make sure it's in a different key/time/tempo.
16. THIS ONE WAS KILLING ME. I KNEW IT WAS FROM KIRBY 64. It sounded like Neo Star at first...

Congrats, Yug!
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

mastersuperfan

I use a track from RtD that Dekka and Mael don't know.

Mael uses a track from RtD that neither I nor Dekka know.

Dekka uses a track from RtD that neither I nor Mael know.

???

profit

Looks like this just wasn't my quiz. Oh well. I am rather surprised so many people missed #5, but it was only one measure.

Quote from: LeviR.star on July 15, 2017, 02:10:02 PM2. How could I have missed this?! Come to think of it, this isn't a very memorable track.
4. This sounded familiar... gosh darn it.
10. Alright, enough of this, Dekka. If you're going to include a remixed melody, at least make sure it's in a different key/time/tempo.
16. THIS ONE WAS KILLING ME. I KNEW IT WAS FROM KIRBY 64. It sounded like Neo Star at first...

Congrats, Yug!

But he didn't even win lol

By the way, I'll quote this for visibility since I didn't make a new post about it:

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 15, 2017, 11:47:48 AMFor everyone's sake, a hint has been requested for #7:
  • #7: From one of the four main series. Most people will only ever hear this once in-game, but it has over a million views on a single video outside of the game, so I figured people would know it. It transitions into 7/4 in a later section of the track.

Hopefully this should be enough, but if it isn't I might tack on a small bit more. Only time will tell...
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

mastersuperfan

All right, a new hint was requested. Specifically, for #8. The hints for both #7 and #8 are below:
  • #8: From one of the four main series. Plays in one of the levels/areas near the end of the game. It is not required to play/enter this level/area to beat the game, however.
Some of you have mentioned that another melody was familiar, so consider going back to that one and requesting a hint! There's no bonus for keeping all of your three hints over the next four quizzes, so take advantage of them.

One more person submitted guesses for a total of 10 participants, and another got back to me with a couple more correct answers. It seems like we'll be capped out at 10 at this time, so this might be the last scoreboard update:

Scoreboard (Update #3)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25
[close]

Kirby remains the only series of the main four that has been completely guessed out. The other three series each have exactly one unguessed melody left.

Finally, some last information I'd like to impart: the highest scores for each individual series.
  • One person has 3 out of 4 Mario melodies.
  • Two people have 3 out of 4 Kirby melodies.
  • One person has 3 out of 4 Pokémon melodies.
  • Three people have 2 out of 4 Zelda melodies.
  • Three people have 4 out of 9 Miscellaneous melodies.
(I meant to mention this earlier but I forgot: to clarify, I've decided that the Yoshi games and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, if I ever use that, will be counted as Mario, while Wario and Donkey Kong will be counted as their own series.)

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 15, 2017, 08:47:59 PM
  • Two people have 3 out of 4 Kirby melodies.
  • One person has 3 out of 4 Pokémon melodies.
gee i wonder who these people could be i guess we'll have to wait and find out
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Dudeman

Quote from: Dekkadeci on July 15, 2017, 01:45:29 PM
"You Will Know Our Names"(/"Those Who Bear Their Name"), from Xenoblade Chronicles, used as the "unique monster" battle theme
Timestamp: 1:22

This is one of the most famous songs in this quiz...I think. I picked a slightly obscure section for it (the strong cadence), but I didn't expect anyone to be fooled.

Unfortunately, it seems that people were actually fooled:
I'm surprised Dudeman didn't even bother to guess this song.

Maelstrom, mastersuperfan, Yug_Guy
[close]
[close]
It sounded heavily in Eb instead of Bb and the F-nat in measure 4 threw me off. Agh, this is embarrassing.
Quoteused as Galaxy Man's boss theme
um
no
"Circuit Theme", from Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, used as the theme of Luigi Circuit, Mario Circuit, and Yoshi Circuit

I thought this would be one of the few VGM themes that people can recognize from just one bar. In this theme's case, it would be the first bar, which both introduces and ends a loop convincingly enough.

...Turns out I was right enough.

LeviR.star, mastersuperfan, ThatHiddenCharacter
[close]
[close]
ughhhhh this sounded too swingy it threw me off

MSF, you only got one on the final boss section?! For shame.
Congrats to meeeeee :D
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

InsigTurtle

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 14, 2017, 02:21:07 PMSurely you jest

Well I guess I was just jesting then because I knew 10 of the pieces used (and just happened to listen to 3 of them while writing up my own quiz) soooo yeah idk man must have been some strong stuff eh

Maybe I should start using the mus or midi files, huh.

mastersuperfan

SOMEONE FINALLY GOT #7

This now means that the series #7 is from has also been completely guessed out.

The other thing that has changed is that someone has requested a hint for #13. All the hints are below:
  • #8: From one of the four main series. Plays in one of the levels/areas near the end of the game. It is not required to play/enter this level/area to beat the game, however.
  • #13: Not from one of the four main series. Also not playable on a Nintendo system. The title of the song refers to a certain character in the game.
Quote from: Dudeman on July 15, 2017, 10:36:25 PMMSF, you only got one on the final boss section?! For shame.

I would've recognized #1f from the part after the intro starting at 0:29 :<

mastersuperfan

Results will be posted at 9:00 PM EST (a little less than nine hours from the time of this post).

Yug_Guy

And while you're waiting for msf's answers, why not take a crack at my next quiz?

Melody Guessing Contest
"Four Glory" (7/17/2017) MUS - MIDI - PDF

This time around, I've added a (hopefully fun) twist: this melody quiz contains no melodies from any of the four main Nintendo series, or their spin-offs/derivatives. That means this quiz contains no Mario, no Zelda, no Pokemon, and no Kirby. Any other franchise, be it Nintendo or otherwise, is fair game. Think you're up to it?

And because I don't feel like typing all this out again:
Quote from: Yug_Guy on June 24, 2017, 12:13:02 PMYou'll have until about 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, July 19th to get your answers in via PM. If you know ahead of time that you won't be able to get your answers in until sometime after 6 on Wednesday, let me know via PM and I can try to delay the answers until later that evening. I for sure will not delay them into Thursday, since work will prevent me from posting the answers until nighttime.

Good luck!

ThatHiddenCharacter

Quote from: Yug_Guy on July 17, 2017, 04:24:10 PMno Mario, no Zelda, no Pokemon, and no Kirby.
I am very much disliking you right now.
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

Dudeman

Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

mikey

How about no pokemon or Kirby but keep the Zelda and Mario
unmotivated

LeviR.star

Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements