News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

post them now, nobody is patient enough to go looking for answers

either you know it or you don't
unmotivated

Dekkadeci

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 21, 2017, 05:14:30 PMBy the way, you know what's funny? When people use songs from one game in their melody quiz and then I do another track from the same game and then they don't know it.
I don't memorize entire OSTs and I don't expect anyone else here to do so, which means I don't think that people knowing only some tracks from a game is funny.

Now, using another excerpt from an already used song and finding that fewer people know the second excerpt is funnier...(though possibly not by that much...)

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Dekkadeci on June 21, 2017, 07:23:51 PMI don't memorize entire OSTs and I don't expect anyone else here to do so, which means I don't think that people knowing only some tracks from a game is funny.

i t w a s a h i n t

EDIT: If more people want the answers posted tonight, speak up now.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

kenniky

I guess since it's a new page I'll just post my quiz again for visibility so people can find it if/when they wake up

Quiz

Also, I kind of want to do a rough ordering of difficulty/obscurity

Easy: 6, 7 The most common, should be the most known
Medium: 10, 11 Decently well known songs from popular games
Harder: 1, 2, 5, 9 If you've played this game you know this song
Hard: 3, 13, 14, 15 Slightly more obscure songs from not-as-mainstream games
Insane: 8, 12 I'll be impressed if you know these
What: 4 lol
how2musics

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

mikey

unmotivated

mastersuperfan

kenniky

how2musics

Olimar12345

Kenniky: Many of your melodies are hard to guess because they aren't transcribed correctly. I'll flat out say that I knew number 11 but would not have guessed it if not for your note about there being lyrics because of how incorrect/inaccurate it is written. I recognize at least four more that are this bad... and I have a feeling that there are others that are beyond my guessing because of this...
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mastersuperfan

Well, this was... quite a round, if I do say so myself. We had 11 participants this round, which is not bad, though I was sorely missing a few members who certainly would've helped patch up the list of unguessed melodies... I had thought that the quiz was a little easier, but scores were overall a little lower this time (for most people, at least), perhaps because I didn't include as many iconic melodies as I did last time...

Before I reveal the answers, I want to discuss one thing first that many people may not have picked up on: the theme of the quiz.

So what was the theme?
Snow.

Yes, that's right. I always love the tracks that play in wintery settings. They evoke a sort of calm, peaceful mood... or in other tracks, an upbeat, Christmas-y feel as well.

All of you however, recognized at least one track that wasn't related to snow or ice. With my quiz being themed around this one type of setting, I didn't want to make it too easy for participants to be able to look up tracks that play in snowy or wintery locations and score a whole lot more. As a result, every melody number that was a multiple of 3 was a melody unrelated (or only tangentially related) to the theme.

Unfortunately, the majority of participants didn't even recognize enough melodies to realize what I was trying to go for here. Only two made a note of it when submitting their answers (although it's possible more of you noticed and didn't mention it). It's a little disappointing, I must say...

Quote from: Latios212just realized
there's so much snow on this quiz

Quote from: Dudeman on June 18, 2017, 09:17:37 PMWHAT KILLED THE MELODY QUIZ

THE ICE AGE
[close]

Now that I've got that out of the way, let us continue with the answers!

MSF ROUND 4

Scoreboard (Final)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  BONUS
[close]

Answers:

#1 (4/11)
"Frozen Hillside" - Kirby Air Ride

Timestamp: 0:54

Also in: Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

The quiz starts off with a rather well-known Kirby track, or at least so I thought because it plays during the Subspace Emissary. As a result, a fair number of people got it. I am not disappointed. Not that disappointed, at least.

Guessed by:
  • Latios212
  • Dudeman
  • Dekkadeci
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#2 (4/11)
"Vanilla Lake" - Super Mario Kart

Timestamp: 0:00

Also in: Mario Kart: Super Circuit

I will say that Snow Land from Super Circuit was a very close contender for this spot in my quiz, but in the end I went with this one because we haven't seen a Super Mario Kart melody in these quizzes before. All of the SNES courses appeared in Super Circuit as retro courses anyways, though that didn't mean Dudeman was able to get this one...

Guessed by:
  • Latios212
  • Static
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Olimar12345
[close]

#3 (5/11)
"Kotake and Koume" / "Twinrova" - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Timestamp: 0:12

Also in: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

I'll admit I was a little surprised that quite a few people got this one, as I hardly remember this one from the game myself (and I've played OoT quite a lot). But you all know Zelda music a lot better than I do.

Quote[6/19/17, 11:15:19 PM] Yug Guy: Okay, tell me:
[6/19/17, 11:15:26 PM] Yug Guy: is #3 from Majora's Mask?
[6/19/17, 11:15:35 PM] mastersuperfan: I shall not say
Quote from: Yug_GuyFUCK IT WAS FROM OOT NOT MAJORAS MASK

Guessed by:
  • Maelstrom
  • Dudeman
  • Dekkadeci
  • Olimar12345
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#4 (2/11)
"Snowpoint City" - Pokémon Diamond Version & Pearl Version

Timestamp: 0:59

At first I was planning to use Route 216, and then I thought to myself... "That's too easy." So I went and picked this one instead (which I didn't even remember except for the first 10 seconds), and then I think I made it too hard. Oops. Although the lack of correct answers could easily be attributed to the fact that Insig and Lux didn't participate this time...

Guessed by:
  • Latios212
  • Zeila
[close]

#5 (0/11)
"Snow Rise" - Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Timestamp: 0:20 (originally 0:04 and then I realized those were straight eighths)

Even if this game was otherwise, ah... lacking in some aspects, this theme is stellar and I've always loved it. It's a shame Levi wasn't around to participate...

Quote from: Maelstrom on June 14, 2017, 01:47:03 PMI have played sticker star and it was utter, unredeemable garbage.

Quote from: Maelstrom#2 sounds familiar
#5 does mayb

And yet that melody still rang a bell, didn't it...

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on June 21, 2017, 05:30:26 AMI'm almost positive 5 is one of the Mario ones, but I can't figure it out. It's killing me!

Guessed by: ---
[close]

#6 (1/11)
"Dragon" - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Timestamp: 0:11

All of you regular competitors here that are Breath of the Wild fans missed this one. I'm disappointed in you all. But thankfully, someone swooped in near the end to light this one up red on the scoreboard. Congratulations to Zeila for being the only one to get this one correct! I suppose nobody else knows the true majesty of the flying noodles in the sky...

Quote from: Zeila on June 20, 2017, 09:47:47 PMI guess it helps that I used to farm dragon scales

Guessed by: Zeila
[close]

#7 (3/11)
"Ice Cap Zone Act 1" / "Ice Cap Zone Act 2" - Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Timestamp: 0:27

#SmoothMcGroove

Awesome track, even if I've never played the game. One of the first tracks to come to mind when I was thinking of snow-related themes.

Guessed by:
  • Maelstrom
  • Dudeman
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#8 (0/11)
"Great Glacier" - Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity

Timestamp: 1:21

INSIG AND LUX Y U NO SHOW UP

[close]

#9 (2/11)
"Id (Hope)" - Fire Emblem Awakening

Timestamp: 0:28

Other accepted games: Fire Emblem: Fates

One of the more obscure ones on here, I added this one in to give the Fire Emblem fans a chance to redeem themselves. I suppose it's good enough that one of them did. Although this melody isn't very easy to hear in-game, the first five notes comprise the shared motif between all of the Id themes, so I figured it would at least hint to some people that it was from this game.

Guessed by:
  • Maelstrom
  • Zeila
[close]

#10 (0/11)
"A Little Light Snowfall" - Yoshi's Woolly World

Timestamp: 0:16

Probably one of the most obscure ones on here. Too obscure, I guess? But I thought there was at least someone here who would have been able to get it...

[close]

#11 (3/11)
"Mt. Slide" - Kirby's Epic Yarn

Timestamp: 0:30

A track that I think is sometimes a little overlooked among the other great tracks in this game's soundtrack. In no way, however, did that stop all of the Epic Yarn music fans from getting it.

Well, all but one, that is.

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • Static
  • Olimar12345
[close]

#12 (2/11)
"Hole in One" - Rhythm Heaven Fever

Timestamp: 0:30

Good ol' Rhythm Heaven. I love this track. I should really play this game. Lux should have been here for this round. Oh, well.

I was considering using the melody at 0:38, but I thought that might have been a little too recognizable, so I toned it down a bit by using the part right before. It's the same part as the snippet used in Remix 10, though, so it wasn't that much harder.

Quote from: Latios212I was like
<makes mandrill noises>
yes it's that song

Guessed by:
  • Latios212
  • WaluigiTime64
[close]

#13 (1/11)
"A Bell is Tolling (Ice Palace)" - Secret of Mana

Timestamp: 0:25

#SmoothMcGroove (yes, again)

Pretty cool track. I don't know much about this game, though the fact that I've owned it on Virtual Console for more than half my life now should probably motivate me to play it sometime... Congratulations to Static for being the only one to get this one correct.

Guessed by: Static
[close]

#14 (1/11)
"A Cool Reception (The Stranded Ship)" - Shovel Knight

Timestamp: 0:44

Holy crap. This is Shovel Knight, you guys. Shovel Knight. With how often it's shown up on other people's quizzes I thought y'all would get this one pretty darn quickly. Only one person got it in the end, and it took some time, too... Congratulations to Yug_Guy for being the only one to get this one correct.

Quote from: Yug_Guy on June 20, 2017, 04:07:01 PMI was trying to figure out where it was from, recalled that it was played with an 8-bit synthesizer and went, "Wait a minute, is that Shovel Knight?" About 2 minutes later, I had my answer

Guessed by: Yug_Guy
[close]

#15 (5/11)
"Title Screen" - Super Mario Maker

Also in: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Timestamp: 0:21

This received quite a few more correct answers than I expected, especially given the lack of recognition of Wii U games on my past quizzes... *cough*3DWorld*cough* But it looks like this is a pretty popular game. It's pretty awesome, I'll give it that.

Guessed by:
  • Latios212
  • Dudeman
  • ThatHiddenCharacter
  • NocturneOfShadow
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#16 (2/11)
"Snowbelle City" - Pokémon X & Y

Timestamp: 0:38

I intentionally kept this excerpt short because it's one of the most well-known tracks in the game. Fewer people than expected were able to get this one than I thought, or perhaps that's just because of... the lack of Pokémon fans in this round.

Quote from: Latios212aw cmon
that one was too easy
so many other people will get it

Really? I don't think so.

...Wait, I take it back. Dudeman is already too many people.

Guessed by:
  • Latios212
  • Dudeman
[close]

#17 (4/11)
"Snowman" - EarthBound Beginnings / Mother

Also in: EarthBound, Mother 3, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Better than the EarthBound one I put on my last one, it seems. The fact that it has appeared in all three games of the series and in two Smash Bros. games probably helped, too.

Guessed by:
  • Latios212
  • Dudeman
  • Yug_Guy
  • Olimar12345
[close]

#18 (3/11)
"Bicycle" - Pokémon Black Version & White Version

High-Quality Rip

Because every good melody quiz needs a song from Gen 5.

To compensate for last time, I purposely picked an easier track from the OST, though not one that was blatantly obvious. I happen to really love this track, by the way.

Guessed by:
  • Latios212
  • Olimar12345
  • Yug_Guy
[close]

#19 (1/11)
"Phendrana Drifts" - Metroid Prime

Timestamp: 0:09

A very relaxing track that I found when looking for a more diverse selection of snow/ice themes. I must say that this theme itself almost makes me want to check out the game... Congratulations to Olimar12345 for being the only one to get this correct. I expected no less from you.

Guessed by: Olimar12345
[close]

#20 (0/11)
"Snowy Valak Mountain" - Xenoblade Chronicles

Timestamp: 1:45

Mael uses a melody from this game. Neither Latios nor I get it.

Latios uses a melody from this game. Neither Mael nor I get it.

I use a melody from this game. Neither Latios nor Mael gets it.

? ? ?

profit

And if you're wondering why I used this instead of the Night version, I like this one a whole lot more. YES, THAT'S RIGHT. I SAID THAT. FIGHT ME.

Quote from: Latios212where dem xenoblade melodies at?

Right here. You never noticed.

Quote from: kennikygarbage day version
see no one knows the day version
Quote from: kennikyill just make a mental note
"chris has bad taste"
:^)

[close]

#21 (3/11)
"Bramble Blast" - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Timestamp: 0:47

High-Quality Rip (OST Version)

I like this remix a lot more than the original, actually. (Dudeman agrees.) Probably because of Brawl nostalgia. It's pretty well-known since it plays during a whole level in the Subspace Emissary, though I transcribed one of the less distinct parts so that not everyone would be able to recognize it.

Guessed by:
  • Dudeman
  • Yug_Guy
  • Olimar12345
[close]

#22 (0/11)
"Peppermint Palace" - Kirby and the Amazing Mirror

Timestamp: 0:47

High-Quality Rip

The transcription for this one did get a little tricky because of those echoing notes, so I ended up writing the melody in a way that sounded the most natural and the least abrupt on playback. I don't think it should have affected your recognition of it, though, since the melody and rhythm are rather distinct (especially the chord in that last measure). But darn. If only Levi were here...

...By the way, you remember how I picked that one track, Radish Ruins, for my quiz two rounds ago? Well, this happened not long afterwards:

Quote from: MaelstromFor your quiz
WHY DID YOU PICK THE ONE SONG I DIDN'T KNOW FROM THAT GAME

Welp, apparently, there's more than one that you don't know.

[close]

#23 (5/11)
"DK Pass" - Mario Kart DS

Timestamp: 0:40

High-Quality Rip

Of course there's more Mario Kart. There's always more Mario Kart.

A pretty memorable theme from this game. I always liked that part that I transcribed, especially that cool sixteenth note run. I will say that Rosalina's Ice World and Ice Ice Outpost were also strong considerations for this spot. But I like this one the best.

Guessed by:
  • Latios212
  • Static
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Yug_Guy
  • Olimar12345
[close]

#24 (8/11)
"Hopes and Dreams" - Undertale

Timestamp: 2:48

High-Quality Rip
High-Quality Kazoo Rip

A nice easy one near the end of the quiz to reward you for listening through the whole thing. I also accepted Dating Start!, which I totally forgot included this same melody until somebody actually submitted it as a guess. I was also hoping to catch someone who mixed it up with SAVE the World just for fun. It worked on one person. You know who you are.

Guessed by:
  • Latios212
  • Maelstrom
  • Dudeman
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Yug_Guy
  • Olimar12345
  • Zeila
  • ThatHiddenCharacter
[close]

#25 (7/11)
"Snow Halation" - Love Live! School idol festival

Timestamp: 0:51

VERY HIGH-QUALITY RIP

T O D O K E T E

Quote from: Latios212oh god is that snow halation

Quote from: Maelstromand why
why
why
why
why
why
WHY DID YOU USE
S N O W H A L A T  I O N

Quote from: Dudeman on June 18, 2017, 09:17:37 PM#25: SNOW HALATION YOU FUCKING MADMAN - RABU RAIBU SKOOL WAIFU FESTIVAL

Quote from: Static on June 18, 2017, 10:01:37 PMI like that last one.

Quote from: Yug_Guy on June 19, 2017, 08:31:09 PM#25

Quote from: Zeila on June 20, 2017, 09:47:47 PM25 - Main Theme from Cory in the House ik the real title is Snow Halation

Guessed by:
  • Latios212
  • Maelstrom
  • Dudeman
  • Static
  • WaluigiTime64
  • Yug_Guy
  • Zeila
[close]

BONUS (0/11)
"? ? ?" - ? ? ?

Aaaaaand it looks like nobody knows what this one is. Darn. But if you want to hear the song, you can find it in the video below:

Timestamp: 15:40
[close]

And the winner is...
Drumroll, please...!
A stunning two-way tie between LATIOS212 and YUG_GUY!

Each with a final score of 11/25! Astounding!

Congratulations! Winners are you!

[close]
[close]
[close]

Statistics:

Final Scores
Latios212 (11): 1, 2, 4, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18, 23, 24, 25
Yug_Guy (11): 1, 3, 7, 14, 15, 17, 18, 21, 23, 24, 25
Dudeman (10): 1, 3, 7, 11, 15, 16, 17, 21, 24, 25
Olimar12345 (9): 2, 3, 11, 17, 18, 19, 21, 23, 24
Maelstrom (5): 3, 7, 9, 24, 25
Static (5): 2, 11, 13, 23, 25
WaluigiTime64 (5): 2, 12, 23, 24, 25
Zeila (5): 4, 6, 9, 24, 25
Dekkadeci (2): 1, 3
NocturneOfShadow (2): 3, 15
ThatHiddenCharacter (2): 15, 24
[close]

Correct Participants per Melody
1: Latios212, Dudeman, Dekkadeci, Yug_Guy (4)
2: Latios212, Static, WaluigiTime64, Olimar12345 (4)
3: Maelstrom, Dudeman, Dekkadeci, Olimar12345, Yug_Guy (5)
4: Latios212, Zeila (2)
5: (0)
6: Zeila (1)
7: Maelstrom, Dudeman, Yug_Guy (3)
8: (0)
9: Maelstrom, Zeila (2)
10: (0)
11: Dudeman, Static, Olimar12345 (3)
12: Latios212, WaluigiTime64 (2)
13: Static (1)
14: Yug_Guy (1)
15: Latios212, Dudeman, ThatHiddenCharacter, NocturneOfShadow, Yug_Guy (5)
16: Latios212, Dudeman (2)
17: Latios212, Dudeman, Yug_Guy, Olimar12345 (4)
18: Latios212, Olimar12345, Yug_Guy (3)
19: Olimar12345 (1)
20: (0)
21: Dudeman, Yug_Guy, Olimar12345 (3)
22: (0)
23: Latios212, Static, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy, Olimar12345 (5)
24: Latios212, Maelstrom, Dudeman, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy, Olimar12345, Zeila, ThatHiddenCharacter ( 8 )
25: Latios212, Maelstrom, Dudeman, Static, WaluigiTime64, Yug_Guy, Zeila (7)
BONUS: (0)
[close]

List of Scoreboards

Scoreboard (Update #1)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  BONUS
[close]

Scoreboard (Update #2)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

[close]

Scoreboard (Update #3)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

[close]

Scoreboard (Final)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

[close]
[close]

ThatHiddenCharacter

1. I hate myself. I knew I know #5.
2. COME ON! I MAY NOT LIKE THE SONG, BUT I SHOULD'VE RECOGNIZED BRAMBLE BLAST BECAUSE OF SMASH!
3. There are quite a few here that I'm disappointed I didn't recognize.
4. I'ma go cry in a corner now.
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

Dudeman

You uh...you might wanna check which video you pulled for #18 there, buddy

EDIT: oh no wait I see you're doing this on purpose
OH YOU MADMAN
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Dekkadeci

The bonus song sounds like a GaMetal remix to me--I wouldn't be surprised if it's only a fan remix of an actual VGM song. With that being said, it does sound like a credits theme to me, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were from a Mario game.

EDIT: On further analysis, the instrumentation doesn't really sound like a match for GaMetal, and there's evidence that the song loops less than 2 minutes in, so it may not be a credits theme. The comments on that YouTube video indicates that the bonus song sounds similar to "Seaside Hill" from Sonic Heroes (below), though it doesn't sound like a close enough match to me:

WaluigiTime64

what if the bonus song was just a composition meant to confuse people

Also arrangements can be however loose the arranger wants, although I don't imagine this was the case.
(maybe you should just straight up ask them lol)
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 22, 2017, 09:00:00 AM
This image will haunt me for the rest of my life now. Thanks for that.

Also, ayyyy I won!