News:

Spotted an error on the main site? Let us know!

Main Menu

The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on June 17, 2017, 07:43:03 PMis this because you missed two and got angry so you memorised the entirety of the soundtrack

Nah, it was because I memorized almost the entire soundtrack and everything I didn't know got used already. ;)

And actually if you take anything super obscure from Mario Kart there's a very good chance you're going to steal it from me. And then I'll still take out the Mega Man and Touhou ones.

Actually, if you do steal one from me, at least I'll know it. So maybe I'll keep them in. We'll see...
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 17, 2017, 07:54:15 PMNah, it was because I memorized almost the entire soundtrack and everything I didn't know got used already. ;)
how did you not know Mushroom Gorge

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 17, 2017, 07:54:15 PMAnd actually if you take anything super obscure from Mario Kart there's a very good chance you're going to steal it from me. And then I'll still take out the Mega Man and Touhou ones.
Sure thing.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 17, 2017, 07:54:15 PMActually, if you do steal one from me, at least I'll know it. So maybe I'll keep them in. We'll see...
Hmm...

tbh i just want to see an obscure MK bonus quiz just to see how much i know
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on June 17, 2017, 08:02:46 PMtbh i just want to see an obscure MK bonus quiz just to see how much i know

Oh I didn't even see this but your wish has already been granted heh

(Though they're not that obscure...)

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on June 17, 2017, 08:02:46 PMhow did you not know Mushroom Gorge

Didn't you see my excuse explanation? It's just that one part. The piano soundfont screwed that up something awful, too. (And I hardly listen to it outside of the game because it pales in comparison to the rest of the soundtrack...)

EDIT: One more note. Rest assured that, on my next five quizzes, you will see at least one Mario Kart song on each. That's a promise.

So to anyone who doesn't know the OSTs, you better get listening.

EDIT: One final thing.

MKWii > MKDD > MKDS > MKSC > MK8 > SMK > MK7 >>>>>>>>>> MK64

Just putting that out there for y'all.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

LeviR.star

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 17, 2017, 08:09:25 PMEDIT: One final thing.

MKWii > MKDD > MKDS > MKSC > MK8 > SMK > MK7 >>>>>>>>>> MK64

I'm too lazy to read the other posts. Are these your personal rankings? If so,

1. Why is Super Circuit ahead of any of these?
2. Why is Double Dash in front of DS?
3. Why is 8 so low on the list?
4. Why is 64 in last?? I mean I know it's ridiculously overrated but come on.

Tell me why you do and don't like these games, and I'll understand.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

mastersuperfan

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 17, 2017, 08:25:54 PM1. Why is Super Circuit ahead of any of these?

Beacuse it's fun. And it's very skill-based, since it takes a considerable amount of practice to be able to maneuver and control your character well, something which MK7 and MK8 lack (especially MK7, lol). It's got pretty damn good track design, which is what puts it two steps ahead of SMK (along with the fact that SC has all of SMK's courses anyways). On top of that is a ton of shortcut potential, and a lot of those shortcuts take skill and practice as well (see: Rainbow Road).

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 17, 2017, 08:25:54 PM2. Why is Double Dash in front of DS?

Better track design, primarily. All Cup Tour. And better music as well, in my opinion. The controls have a more slippery and slide-y feel to them, which makes this a game that both takes a lot of practice and is wildly fun because of how dynamic races can be. The drifting and mini-turbos are probably the best here than in any other game, as you can get them out frequently (which is very satisfying) but not so much to the point where it breaks both the game and your thumb. (Snaking is still fun in MKDS, but it's exhausting.) Unlike Wii and SC, it's not a game I play with the aim of becoming better competitively, but more of a great party game (which is still fun single-player, too).

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 17, 2017, 08:25:54 PM3. Why is 8 so low on the list?

8's not a bad game by any means, but I have to put those four in front of it because of pure gameplay. In terms of visuals, 8 definitely wins, and it stands on par with the others on music and track design. But the gameplay is far more shallow, as it lacks the maneuvering skill required in SMK and SC, the drifting ability in DD or DS, or the inside-drifting bikes from Wii (yes, I know there are "inside-drifting bikes" in MK8, but they're really not the same at all). One of the biggest things that definitely hurts it is the lack of shortcuts, which is what makes Wii and SC have amazing gameplay and 7 and 8 have lackluster play instead. You try to go an inch off the side of the track and Lakitu brings you back on right away.

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 17, 2017, 08:25:54 PM4. Why is 64 in last?? I mean I know it's ridiculously overrated but come on.

Because you can be driving on a straight road and then all of a sudden Toad goes AWAWAWA and starts spinning out when the last thing you crashed into was a wall ten seconds ago. Not to mention the fact that three characters are better in every single stat than the others besides weight. The music is decent... but the track design is very disappointing. A lot of tracks such as Luigi Raceway, Mario Raceway, Wario Stadium, DK Jungle Parkway, etc... are nothing but long stretches of track where all the obstacles aren't even on the track themselves. And most of the other tracks with some obstacles have plenty of flat, bland, long stretches anyways (Banshee Boardwalk, Rainbow Road, Frappe Snowland). But the train in Kalimari Desert is cool; I'll give it that.

LeviR.star

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 17, 2017, 08:53:29 PMBeacuse it's fun. And it's very skill-based, since it takes a considerable amount of practice to be able to maneuver and control your character well, something which MK7 and MK8 lack (especially MK7, lol). It's got pretty damn good track design, which is what puts it two steps ahead of SMK (along with the fact that SC has all of SMK's courses anyways). On top of that is a ton of shortcut potential, and a lot of those shortcuts take skill and practice as well (see: Rainbow Road).

Better track design, primarily. All Cup Tour. And better music as well, in my opinion. The controls have a more slippery and slide-y feel to them, which makes this a game that both takes a lot of practice and is wildly fun because of how dynamic races can be. The drifting and mini-turbos are probably the best here than in any other game, as you can get them out frequently (which is very satisfying) but not so much to the point where it breaks both the game and your thumb. (Snaking is still fun in MKDS, but it's exhausting.) Unlike Wii and SC, it's not a game I play with the aim of becoming better competitively, but more of a great party game (which is still fun single-player, too).

8's not a bad game by any means, but I have to put those four in front of it because of pure gameplay. In terms of visuals, 8 definitely wins, and it stands on par with the others on music and track design. But the gameplay is far more shallow, as it lacks the maneuvering skill required in SMK and SC, the drifting ability in DD or DS, or the inside-drifting bikes from Wii (yes, I know there are "inside-drifting bikes" in MK8, but they're really not the same at all). One of the biggest things that definitely hurts it is the lack of shortcuts, which is what makes Wii and SC have amazing gameplay and 7 and 8 have lackluster play instead. You try to go an inch off the side of the track and Lakitu brings you back on right away.

Because you can be driving on a straight road and then all of a sudden Toad goes AWAWAWA and starts spinning out when the last thing you crashed into was a wall ten seconds ago. Not to mention the fact that three characters are better in every single stat than the others besides weight. The music is decent... but the track design is very disappointing. A lot of tracks such as Luigi Raceway, Mario Raceway, Wario Stadium, DK Jungle Parkway, etc... are nothing but long stretches of track where all the obstacles aren't even on the track themselves. And most of the other tracks with some obstacles have plenty of flat, bland, long stretches anyways (Banshee Boardwalk, Rainbow Road, Frappe Snowland). But the train in Kalimari Desert is cool; I'll give it that.

Now those are some respectable explanations. I appreciate that, MSF.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

ThatHiddenCharacter

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 17, 2017, 08:09:25 PM(And I hardly listen to it outside of the game because it pales in comparison to the rest of the soundtrack...)
I'm sorry, what? (Obviously Mushroom Gorge and Koopa Cape are the best songs in the MKWii OST.)
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

mastersuperfan

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on June 18, 2017, 07:26:05 AMI'm sorry, what? (Obviously Mushroom Gorge and Koopa Cape are the best songs in the MKWii OST.)

I think you mean Daisy Circuit, Maple Treeway, Grumble Volcano, and Rainbow Road.

ThatHiddenCharacter

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 18, 2017, 08:31:43 AMI think you mean Daisy Circuit, Maple Treeway, Grumble Volcano, and Rainbow Road.
I'll give you Maple Treeway, but I never really listened to the others so I can't agree there (for now...).
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

Olimar12345

Quote from: mastersuperfan on June 18, 2017, 08:31:43 AMI think you mean Daisy Circuit, Maple Treeway, Grumble Volcano, and Rainbow Road.

seconded.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

WaluigiTime64

Woah hey you can't go around talking about good MKWii songs without mentioning literally all of them. That said, in addition to the ones mentioned above, I'd add Toad's Factory, Wario's Goldmine and Moonview Highway.

Dekkadeci

Toad's Factory is my favourite MKWii song and I have a hard time remembering the rest of them.

...Well, besides MKWii Rainbow Road mucking around with non-MK64/MKDD Rainbow Road themes and me watching just enough MKWii to remember the title theme...

InsigTurtle

my favourite mkwii music is the menu theme because many hours were spent syncing remotes and choosing characters and karts and courses and getting angry at each other even before the game started because someone is taking their sweet time choosing a character or a kart or a course

kenniky

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on June 17, 2017, 12:00:53 PMI see

well then here it is

PDF
MUS
MID

I apologize in advance for like #6 I think it is, it's only one measure, but if you've heard the song before it could be enough

this quiz is called "Noc's Childhood"

edit: it's #4

is this pdf supposed to be one page
how2musics