News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

WHAT THE HECK

I THOUGHT THIS WAS SO OBSCURE NOBODY WOULD EVER STEAL IT AND THEN MAEL TAKES THE EXACT SAME MELODY

EDIT: I'll add this: I know 5 of them (and might know where to get a 6th one) and they're all really obscure.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Maelstrom

Oh, I forgot to mention that each song is from a different franchise.

edit: Oh, and the last 5 are basically a bonus round. Scores will be out of 15, not 20.

LuxraySpiral

10 people participated in this round!

I somehow managed to make #1 and #2 harder than any of the 'Medium' melodies. Oops.

Most of these titles are based off random YouTube vids, so excuse me if I get them wrong.
Anyway, here goes the answers:

'Easy'
#1 (4/10)
Animal Crossing City Folk - The City (Day)
Time stamp 0:01

This one should really have been in the 'Medium' section, but it doesn't really matter.
Also appears in Sm4sh

Guessed by MSF, Yug_Guy, Dudeman, Olimar12345
[close]
#2 (4/10)
Star Fox 64 - Star Wolf
Time stamp 0:07

I don't know how different it would have been if I had included the iconic intro, but [insert cliché I-wasn't-expecting-this comment here]
Also appears in Brawl and Sm4sh

Guessed by MSF, Yug_Guy, Dekkadeci, Dudeman
[close]
#3 (9/10)
The Legend of Zelda - Secret Sound

I couldn't even find a YT video for this, probably because it's more of a sound effect than a track.

Guessed by WaluigiTime64, MSF, Yug_Guy, Dudeman, Latios212, Olimar12345, THC, Maelstrom, InsigTurtle
[close]
#4 (8/10)
Undertale - SAVE the world
Time Stamp 0:21

I wasn't sure how many people would get Undertale, but it turns out it's a fair number.

Guessed by WaluigiTime64, MSF, Yug_Guy, Dudeman, Latios212, Olimar12345, Maelstrom, InsigTurtle
[close]
#5 (10/10)
F-Zero - Mute City
Time Stamp 0:19

Everyone got this one! Very pleased about this one ^^

Guessed by WaluigiTime64, MSF, Yug_Guy, Dekkadeci, Dudeman, Latios212, Olimar12345, THC, Maelstrom, InsigTurtle
[close]

'Medium'
#6 (5/10)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 - World 6
Time Stamp 0:11

I'm running out of both things to say and time to say them, so yes... er... here ya go.

Guessed by MSF, Dudeman, Latios212, THC, InsigTurtle
[close]
#7 (8/10)
Kid Icarus - Reaper
Time Stamp 0:00

Here's a fun one to have on repeat for 30 minutes. I didn't expect this many people to get this one.
Also plays in Kid Icarus: Uprising (That might explain the high number of correct guesses).

Guessed by WaluigiTime64, MSF, Yug_Guy, Dudeman, Latios212, Olimar12345, Maelstrom, InsigTurtle
[close]
#8 (6/10)
Donkey Kong Country - World Map
Time Stamp: 0:03

Guessed by WaluigiTime64, MSF, Yug_Guy, Dudeman, Olimar12345, THC
[close]
#9 (6/10)
Balloon Fight - Balloon Trip
Time Stamp: 0:00

Guessed by MSF, Yug_Guy, Dudeman, Latios212, Olimar12345, THC
[close]
#10 (8/10)
Kirby Super Star - Revenge of Meta Knight - Halberd
Time Stamp 0:14

Yeah, I didn't know what this was called, so I was originally gonna go for the name of the theme in Brawl, but I decided to go with the BrawlBRSTMs X name

Guessed by WaluigiTime64, MSF, Yug_Guy, Dekkadeci, Dudeman, Latios212, THC, Maelstrom
[close]

'Hard'
#11 (1/10)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky - Waterfall Cave
Time Stamp 1:12

I could have gone with the opening in the weird time sig, but last time I included a piece with a weird time sig, pretty much everyone guessed it. Also, I kinda stole the notes from Dusk's arrangement, because I gave up on transcribing it by ear. Sorry.

Latios212 was the only person that guessed this one!
[close]
#12 (1/10)
New Super Mario Bros. - Volcano
Time Stamp 0:07

I tried to choose one that would be hard to recognise on piano.

Again, Latios212 was the only person that got this one.
[close]
#13 (1/10)
Pokemon Black Version 2 / White Version 2 - Frozen City
Time Stamp 0:00

I actually really like this song, even though it only appears once in the game. Someone should probably do a piano cover.

This one ended up being the deciding melody, as MSF sent in the tie-breaker! Well done!
[close]
#14 (1/10)
Super Smash Bros. Melee - Boss Battle
Time Stamp 0:22

Yeah, this one was kinda mean.

Congratulations to Dudeman for managing to get this one right!
[close]
#15 (1/10)
Rhythm Heaven - Remix 8
Time Stamp 1:43

I used the in-game version which speeds up at the end. All those perfect attempts...

Well done to MSF for getting this one correct!
[close]

And the winner is...
mastersuperfan
It was extreeeeeeemely close, ya know?
[close]
Leaderboards
MSF 12/15
Dudeman 11/15
Yug_Guy 9/15
Latios212 9/15
Olimar12345 7/15
THC 7/15
WaluigiTime64 6/15
Maelstrom 5/15
InsigTurtle 4/15
Dekkadeci 3/15

Average score: 7.3
That's pretty good for a quiz right?
[close]

Fun Stuff
Quote from: DudemanThe Legend of Zelda: Pretty Much All of Them
Quote from: Latios212That fanfare from Zelda for unlocking/achieving something
That theme from Kid Icarus that plays when you get attacked
That theme from Balloon Fight or something
That theme from Kirby Super Star
Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacterI feel that 14 is either Kirby, Smash Brawl, or the song that played right before the Melee theme in a Mario piano medley I like.
Quote from: InsigTurtleIt took me like 10 minutes to find the right track and apparently it's SAVE The world and i'm like goddammit i spent 10 minutes trying to find this i don't want to save the world no more
[close]
Quote from: LuxraySpiral on March 20, 2017, 07:37:23 AM
(Also, I might try to concrete my position as the parentheses guy)
Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on March 20, 2017, 08:18:57 AM
(Sorry, (but (that (role (is (already (taken.)))))))

Maelstrom

Oh, and over half of the normal songs have been guessed so far in my quiz.

Olimar12345

@Mael: numbers 1 and 9 have errors in their last measure.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Maelstrom

Dekkadeci

Hold on--the melody of the relevant section of LuxraySpiral's #14 sounds like all high C's to me in the video. (Guess I may not be trying "Songs with prominent long-note melodies-that-could-be-countermelodies" in my Quiz 4 unless I provide everything that could be the melody there...)

LeviR.star

Hey, this looked cool! Too bad I missed my chance... :(
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

LuxraySpiral

Quote from: Dekkadeci on May 29, 2017, 12:02:15 PMHold on--the melody of the relevant section of LuxraySpiral's #14 sounds like all high C's to me in the video. (Guess I may not be trying "Songs with prominent long-note melodies-that-could-be-countermelodies" in my Quiz 4 unless I provide everything that could be the melody there...)

Yeah, I was tempted to make them all dyads, but I changed it in the last minute
Quote from: LuxraySpiral on March 20, 2017, 07:37:23 AM
(Also, I might try to concrete my position as the parentheses guy)
Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on March 20, 2017, 08:18:57 AM
(Sorry, (but (that (role (is (already (taken.)))))))

Dekkadeci

Quote from: InsigTurtle on May 29, 2017, 12:54:10 AMThe B natural in the first melody is bothering me :/
I have verified that the prominent B natural/C flat in #1 is accurately in that position.

I'm still trying to verify if there are any versions without those little notes that #1 in Maelstrom's quiz is currently missing...

Latios212

I just wanna say Lux that was a very well-designed quiz. Good variety and difficulty level.

and I'm kicking myself still for not getting 14 and 15 lol
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

InsigTurtle

Quote from: Dekkadeci on May 29, 2017, 07:20:33 PMI have verified that the prominent B natural/C flat in #1 is accurately in that position.

I'm still trying to verify if there are any versions without those little notes that #1 in Maelstrom's quiz is currently missing...

No, I'm not talking about the note accuracy, I'm talking about the spelling

Maelstrom

Results and answers will be posted in 12 hours.
So far, 11/15 of the normal melodies have been correctly guessed and 0/5 of the bonus songs.

LeviR.star

Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Static

Since I will not be around for the rest of today until late at night, I'll post my quiz now so I don't forget to.

Static's Miscellaneous Melody Quiz III
[MID] [MUS] [MUSX] [PDF]

Good luck, everyone! Also, note that I will be taking 2 answers for #8 since there is another song that sounds incredibly similar.