The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yug_Guy

Quote from: LeviR.star on May 22, 2017, 07:33:07 PMOne question, though: Why is Daisy Circuit an "unmemorable" track? I figured something unmemorable would be something from Super Circuit, or maybe the Arcade GP games, but not the best-selling Mario Kart of all time!
A) Having a song from Super Circuit or Arcade GP would be a bit too obscure. I wanted something that was a "medium" level difficulty.
B) I just sorta picked a song and went with it. Nothing much more complicated than that.

EDIT:
Quote from: Dudeman on May 22, 2017, 09:37:22 AMI doubt that I'm going to have time during the rest of the day to post this in a timely manner, so here's my quiz now.

Dudeman's Triweekly Melody Quiz Entry

I'm not entirely sure of the structural integrity of this quiz, so hopefully it's okay for a first attempt. Good luck!
If MSF wins, I will be very upset.
Might as well "sticky" this to the top of the new page.

Maelstrom

Well, I could have only really gotten 3, and only knew one off the top. Guess that one just wasn't for me.

Dudeman

If I had been smart enough to retain the melody from Insane's cover, I would've had this one. Oh well, Latios deserves it. Congrats, fellow champ!

NOW GO OUT AND CLOBBER EACH OTHER OVER MY DEADLY, DEADLY QUIZ

EDIT: Updated leaderboard:
Dudeman – 15
MSF – 12
Latios – 4
Mael – 3
Yug – 2
Dekka – 1
Insig – 1
Levi – 1
Luxray – 1

yaaaayy latios you're in real third place now
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Maelstrom

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Maelstrom on May 22, 2017, 09:20:51 PMwait when did I get 3

If I recall correctly, THC's first round, Insig's second round, and Static's second round.

Also, perfect score leaderboard (including Lux's bonus round);

MSF – 1
Latios – 1
Mael – 0
Yug – 0
Dekka – 0
Insig – 0
Levi – 0
Luxray – 0
Dudeman – 0

heh
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Dudeman

Quantity over quality, scumbag. That's all that matters in this game.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

InsigTurtle

Whoa, whoa, what's with this filthy language here? Apologize to him this instant, or I'll tell your mother!

Dudeman

Answers for my quiz probably won't go up until 9 PM PST on Wednesday, which is pretty late by most everyone else's standard time.

also please submit answers i only have three right now :(

Olimar12345

Quality > quantity. It's hard to believe some of you guys were able to guess all of these correctly a handful of times. I'm struggling to get just a few lol.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Olimar12345 on May 23, 2017, 04:25:38 PMQuality > quantity. It's hard to believe some of you guys were able to guess all of these correctly a handful of times. I'm struggling to get just a few lol.
By "quality" > "quantity", do you mean "listeners should be able to guess entire quizzes correctly", "quiz-makers should create quizzes that they expect at least one user to get 80% correctly", "quiz-makers should create quizzes that they expect all guessers to get at least 20% of the melodies correct for", or something else?

Dudeman

the joke was that I'm a snob about my wins regardless of how many I got per quiz

but this discussion's okay to have anyway

mikey

Quote from: Dekkadeci on May 23, 2017, 06:02:27 PMBy "quality" > "quantity", do you mean "listeners should be able to guess entire quizzes correctly", "quiz-makers should create quizzes that they expect at least one user to get 80% correctly", "quiz-makers should create quizzes that they expect all guessers to get at least 20% of the melodies correct for", or something else?
all of them at once I suppose
unmotivated

Olimar12345

Quote from: Dekkadeci on May 23, 2017, 06:02:27 PMBy "quality" > "quantity", do you mean "listeners should be able to guess entire quizzes correctly", "quiz-makers should create quizzes that they expect at least one user to get 80% correctly", "quiz-makers should create quizzes that they expect all guessers to get at least 20% of the melodies correct for", or something else?

None. I wasn't saying that anything should be any sort of way. I was merely commenting on the fact that MSF pointed out that a couple people had correctly guessed all of the tracks, saying that I thought that was impressive.

I don't know the history of quiz difficulty here since I've only done like three, but judging by the few that I've done it's been pretty hard to recognize all of the tunes.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mastersuperfan

Since it's Wednesday on the east coast right now, I suppose I might as well go ahead... (to which Dudeman has agreed, by the way)

MSF ROUND 3

This quiz contains 30 (!) melodies from a wide variety of games and series. Most of them should be decently recognizable, with at least one person, if not more, getting each one. There are, however, a couple that are intentionally obscure and perhaps may not be recognized by anyone. Here are a few notes about the quiz:
  • No two melodies are from the same game.
  • Pickups to measures after the given excerpt may or may not be included.
  • There is one, and only one, melody from a game that is not on a Nintendo system. All others have been playable on a Nintendo system.
  • There are at least three tracks from each of the following series: Mario, Kirby, Pokémon, Zelda. Of those four series, two of them have more than three.
If you're wondering just how far I'll go in terms of length, worry not; this is likely the maximum length I will ever go to on one of these quizzes. (Unless someone does a longer one first...)

Finally, with the great length of this quiz, I will publicly be keeping track of how many people can recognize each one by periodically updating the list below (check the time of when the post was last edited for how recent these stats are):

Correctly Guessed Tracks
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5+ people

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30
[close]

Good luck! (You'll need it.)
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Bubbles

this seems so fun wtf. i'm late to this party lmao

...but probably for a good reason. I sat and listened through all of these new ones and only recognized ONE (with like two others being a little familiar but idk man). I'm not even gonna submit I'm too embarrassed