News:

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer

Main Menu

The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaluigiTime64

Alrighty then! It's time for the results! A total of 11 people attempted.

First up: The songs:

Moon - DuckTales:

An old classic. One of the most well-known NES pieces ever. I decided to only use the intro because of this. 5 people got this.
[close]
World Map - Yoshi's New Island:

This is just a nice piece. Similar to the original Yoshi's Island, this song has several variants, so any general answer with the song was accepted. 3 people got this.
[close]
Jungle Japes - Donkey Kong 64:

*desperate searching to find the original GilvaSunner upload* I figured this would be alright to add in. Can't go without a bit of swing. 2 people got this.
[close]
Shy Guy Beach & Cheep Cheep Island - Mario Kart: Super Circuit:

Super chill. Unless you're like me and you play 150cc-Hard-AI-Frantic-Items on Mario Kart Wii. Special thanks to MSF for telling me about the triplets. Oops on my part. 7 people guessed this.
[close]
Ever Grande City - Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald Version:

I loved this song the moment I heard it when I first played the game, and it still holds up. 5 people got this.
[close]
#1b
Hightail Falls Galaxy - Super Mario Galaxy [OR] Athletic - Super Mario World:

One of the only songs that I could put only a single measure of, and still have people guess it. Not only did it work, but all 11 people got it. Honestly if you didn't get it that would be shameful.
[close]
#2b
Bad Apple!! - Touhou 4: Lotus Land Story:

*desperately searching for the original* This is one of the two brutal ones. The first melody is so iconic, that putting the original chorus instead was just mean. Naturally, only 1 person got this.
[close]
#3b
Flock Step - Rhythm Heaven Fever:

Only difficult in its slight obscurity, as well as the likelyhood that I of all people would use it. I love this song, and it's even better with the in-game sounds. 2 people got this.
[close]
#4b
Cloud Cuckooland - Banjo Tooie:

I used the really weird section to confuse people. One person actually guessed that it was related to Banjo Kazooie, but didn't research hard enough to find the song. Shockingly not one person got this.
[close]
#5b
Dust Field - Mega Man Soccer:

OK OK OK PLEASE LET ME GIVE REASONS AS TO WHY YOU SHOULDN'T LYNCH ME

Originally I picked this song because I felt like "Oh hey, Dudeman and LeviR.star sure know a lot about Mega Man." so I decided to see how much they knew about slightly obscure Classic Series soundtracks. I realised that such a silly thing shouldn't affect the entire quiz, so I decided to make it not count, so that the great majority who obviously wouldn't get it weren't affected. After I posted mine, Levi posted his answers. We all know how Dudeman responded to that. The fact that 10 bucks was on the line certainly didn't help anything, although it makes this one far tamer in comparison at least. Suddenly I felt really bad about that comment Dudeman left about me not putting any Mega Man songs in there. Oh gosh did the guilt pile up. Now, concerning its obscurity. I decided to pick Soccer because I noticed it had quite a few good songs, and overall seemed worth listening to, especially Dust Field, which is why I picked it. I just happen to like the song. I have this feeling that if I picked Elec Field or Wood Field one of them might've gotten it. Mega Man Soccer has had an official English release, and is generally put next to Mega Man: Battle and Chase in terms of obscurity, which is usually just a bit lower than Mega Man: The Wily Wars. Also can confirm that Mega Man Soccer is somewhat genuinely fun, although the chances of you winning are pretty slim unless you're really good at soccer games, so it is something worth looking into, unlike RockBoard, although it was rushed like hell. As clearly noted, neither Dudeman nor LeviR.star got this one, and obviously no one else got it either. As I decided to not include this song in the total, this song did not affect anyone's scores.
[close]

The Winner!
With 5/8, 4 PEOPLE TIED FOR FIRST. Absolutely incredible. Congratulations to Mastersuperfan, Dudeman, Yug_Guy and Luxray Spiral for achieving this (joint) victory.
[close]

The Guesses
#1: Moon - DuckTales: Mastersuperfan, Dudeman, Yug_Guy, Luxray Spiral, LeviR.star
#2: World Map - Yoshi's New Island: Mastersuperfan, InsigTurtle, Latios212
#3: Jungle Japes - Donkey Kong 64: Dudeman, Yug_Guy
#4: Shy Guy Beach & Cheep Cheep Lagoon - Mario Kart: Super Circuit: Mastersuperfan, Dudeman, Yug_Guy, Luxray Spiral, LeviR.star, Maelstrom, Static
#5: Ever Grande City - Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald Version: Mastersuperfan, Dudeman, Yug-Guy, Luxray Spiral, Latios212
#1b: Athletic - Super Mario World: Mastersuperfan, Dudeman, Yug-Guy, Dekkadeci, InsigTurtle, Luxray Spiral, ThatHiddenCharacter, LeviR.star, Latios212, Maelstrom, Static.
#2b: Bad Apple!! - Touhou 4: Lotus Land Story: Maelstrom
#3b: Flock Step - Rhythm Heaven Fever: Luxray Spiral, Latios212
#4b: Cloud Cuckooland - Banjo Tooie:
#5b: Dust Field - Mega Man Soccer:
[close]

Extra Funny Things
Quote from: DudemanWAH-HA-HA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH
Quote from: Dudeman[about SMW Athletic] (c'mon man everybody's gonna get this one)
Quote from: DudemanAlso no Mega Man? Really?
Still sorry.
Quote from: Yug_GuyIs it bad that I remembered #5 more from Pokemon Pinball RS than the main series games?
Quote from: DekkadeciThere's even an arrangement of the SiIvaGunner version on [MuseScore.com].
Quote from: InsigTurtleI'm fairly certain 5 is from a Pokeyourmom game, Pokeyourmom Rooby/Shapehiherihehed hasiuhfamhfouiadmshui shdiufnhsadu fhiusa fasdofh badsjf bsjadfb jksdfbjksad fb kjasdfb jasd bfjsdh fbjd
He never guessed it.
Quote from: Luxray SpiralJeez, I never do this well.
Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacterAs for the second quiz, I know only one and you are very sneaky with it. It sounds like one of the most famous Mario songs, but I'm smart. That grace note tells me number 1b isn't Super Mario World - Athletic. Number 1b is Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Hightail Falls Galaxy!
I liked this because he decided to justify his answer. I believe I actually told Luxray (who also guessed Hightail Falls) that I was aiming for the SMW version, but then this happened.
Quote from: Latios2121b is Athletic from SMW and I am ashamed for not getting that by looking
Quote from: Latios212[about Flock Step] It sounds wrong without bird noises at measure 4 lol. That's why it took me a second.
Quote from: WaluigiTime64
Quote from: Maelstrom
Quote from: WaluigiTime64
Quote from: MaelstromI swear [X] is a megaman title screen.
If you feel like it, you can research.
what if  I just geuss the all at once
yeah sure why not
Quote from: Static
Quote from: WaluigiTime64If they get 5/8 though, that would be great.
when i read that i immediately thought time signature
i read too much music help
[close]

That's all folks!
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

LeviR.star

Hey, Mega Man Soccer! Pretty cool spinoff. Nice music, too. I'm glad we got a little bit of that in here. I ought to memorize the soundtrack...
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Ah dang. I knew #4 was Mario Kart something...

I'm at 5 for THC's quiz so far though!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Dudeman

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on May 16, 2017, 02:21:52 AM
#4b
Cloud Cuckooland - Banjo Tooie:

I used the really weird section to confuse people. One person actually guessed that it was related to Banjo Kazooie, but didn't research hard enough to find the song. Shockingly not one person got this.
[close]
AGH FUCK I DID GO AND LISTEN TO ALL OF BK'S SOUNDTRACK BUT DIDN'T GET AROUND TO B2'S BEFORE THE ANSWERS WERE POSTED OTHERWISE I WOULDA HAD THIS ONE AAAAAAAAAAAAGH
#5b
Dust Field - Mega Man Soccer:

OK OK OK PLEASE LET ME GIVE REASONS AS TO WHY YOU SHOULDN'T LYNCH ME

Originally I picked this song because I felt like "Oh hey, Dudeman and LeviR.star sure know a lot about Mega Man." so I decided to see how much they knew about slightly obscure Classic Series soundtracks. I realised that such a silly thing shouldn't affect the entire quiz, so I decided to make it not count, so that the great majority who obviously wouldn't get it weren't affected. After I posted mine, Levi posted his answers. We all know how Dudeman responded to that. The fact that 10 bucks was on the line certainly didn't help anything, although it makes this one far tamer in comparison at least. Suddenly I felt really bad about that comment Dudeman left about me not putting any Mega Man songs in there. Oh gosh did the guilt pile up. Now, concerning its obscurity. I decided to pick Soccer because I noticed it had quite a few good songs, and overall seemed worth listening to, especially Dust Field, which is why I picked it. I just happen to like the song. I have this feeling that if I picked Elec Field or Wood Field one of them might've gotten it. Mega Man Soccer has had an official English release, and is generally put next to Mega Man: Battle and Chase in terms of obscurity, which is usually just a bit lower than Mega Man: The Wily Wars. Also can confirm that Mega Man Soccer is somewhat genuinely fun, although the chances of you winning are pretty slim unless you're really good at soccer games, so it is something worth looking into, unlike RockBoard, although it was rushed like hell. As clearly noted, neither Dudeman nor LeviR.star got this one, and obviously no one else got it either. As I decided to not include this song in the total, this song did not affect anyone's scores.
[close]
I'm really actually not upset about this one. Mega Man Soccer was a fair choice, it got a Western release and, like you said, is on about the same level as Battle & Chase. I guess this is what I get for bragging about my musical prowess, since when I originally posted I was really only thinking about main series titles.
And that 10 dollars? ...I'll have to think about it.

Jesus, a four-way tie? With Yug and Luxray??!? SACRILEGE
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

LeviR.star

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on May 16, 2017, 02:21:52 AMMega Man Soccer has had an official English release, and is generally put next to Mega Man: Battle and Chase in terms of obscurity, which is usually just a bit lower than Mega Man: The Wily Wars.

You say this a lot with Mega Man games. How do you determine obscurity levels by region, anyway?
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

WaluigiTime64

By region? Only in the west, because I'm a part of the western fanbase. You can tell obscurity by how much people talk about it, and how much anything about it pops up on the internet here and there.

Quote from: Dudeman on May 16, 2017, 12:17:01 PMI guess this is what I get for bragging about my musical prowess, since when I originally posted I was really only thinking about main series titles.
C'mon man, when it comes to Classic Series even I could do (most of) that (except for 8 or & Bass).
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Dudeman

Order of obscurity from most to least:
Eastern-only release on an obscure console (Rockman & Forte 2)
Eastern-only release (Wily & Light's Rockboard)
Obscure localized release (The Power Battle/Fighters, Battle & Chase, The Wily Wars)
Localized release on a less popular console (GB Mega Man titles)
Everything else
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

LeviR.star

Quote from: Dudeman on May 16, 2017, 01:10:11 PMOrder of obscurity from most to least:
Eastern-only release on an obscure console (Rockman & Forte 2)
Eastern-only release (Wily & Light's Rockboard)
Obscure localized release (The Power Battle/Fighters, Battle & Chase, The Wily Wars)
Localized release on a less popular console (GB Mega Man titles)
Everything else

Dudeman, I'm quoting this in the original post near the rules section.

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Dudeman on May 16, 2017, 01:10:11 PMThe Power Battle/Fighters
You've reminded me that I know almost nothing about these game.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on May 16, 2017, 02:21:52 AM
The Winner!
With 5/8, 4 PEOPLE TIED FOR FIRST. Absolutely incredible. Congratulations to Mastersuperfan, Dudeman, Yug_Guy and Luxray Spiral for achieving this (joint) victory.
[close]
Well dang, I wasn't expecting this at all! Feels good to finally have a (tied) victory under my belt.

Quote from: Dudeman on May 16, 2017, 12:17:01 PMJesus, a four-way tie? With Yug and Luxray??!? SACRILEGE
I'll get the pitchforks ready.

ThatHiddenCharacter

I hope Dudeman gets his answers in on time. I'ma be posting the answers between 4:00-5:00 PM EST tomorrow. I know it's early to say that, but I don't care.
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

LeviR.star

If you would like to be a regular host, please let me know via PM and I'll automatically have you re-entered in the hosting schedule after each time you present your quiz. Thank you.

Dekkadeci

Here's my second Guess-The-Song Quiz:
[PDF] | [MIDI] | [MUS] | [MSCZ]

The MUS is readable in Finale, including Finale Notepad. The MSCZ is readable in Musescore. All other files are based on the original MSCZ, not the MUS--this explains why the PDF doesn't look like the MUS.
The MUS may display and/or play back bugged. The MSCZ, PDF, and MIDI shouldn't.

You can PM answers to me until Saturday, May 20 at 1:00 PM MDT (a.k.a. Saturday, May 20 8:00 PM forum default time). I will not count any submissions made after that time, as I'll be too busy tallying results.
Results will be posted shortly afterwards.

Some guidelines for answering, how the melodies are transcribed, and what counts as a correct answer:
  • When transcribing these songs, I prioritized OSTs over high-quality rips. Keep that in mind while guessing.
  • You may submit YouTube links/videos instead of game name-song name/best known use pairs.
  • All tempos are approximate.
  • Like last time, I will mark unambiguous songs with the right melody in the right key as correct. If your guess has the right melody in the wrong key, I will mark it as incorrect but PM back that you were close. You can freely guess again until the deadline. With that being said, the obvious choice should be the correct one for the most part.
  • I may not have gotten octave voicings correct in this quiz. If you think you've got the right song but it's off by an octave or two in parts, just guess that song anyway.
  • I had trouble transcribing #4, #7, the end of #9, #10, the end of #12, and #13. These melodies are less likely to be completely melodically and rhythmically accurate.
  • Hint: At least one melody is found in a song in a Super Smash Bros. game, but none of them were written for Super Smash Bros.
  • Hint: Exactly one melody is a remix of a piece of classical music. For that melody only, you may guess the name of the piece of classical music it's based on instead of the name of the song (or its best known use, or a YouTube video), but you must also guess which game it's from.
  • Hint: #14 has its last note cut off.

Dudeman

This is already a much better quiz than your last one.

Latios212

I agree!

I've got 5ish so far, with potential for a couple more.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle