The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThatHiddenCharacter

Quote from: Dudeman on May 20, 2017, 06:25:08 PMWell, I meant those who recognized the melody. If you recognized it, I can't think of what else besides DBG you'd think of.
I knew it was Undertale, but I couldn't figure out what. I was watching an Undertale mercy run, which is the only reason I know a lot of those songs. I thought it was a death theme or something.
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

Latios212

I've got 6 at the moment for Yug Guy's quiz. If I'm correct, some of them have some minor errors...

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on May 20, 2017, 06:43:35 PMI thought it was a death theme or something.
well that's kind of right
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

E. Gadd Industries

"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Dudeman

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on May 20, 2017, 07:00:20 PMDANG IT I SHOULDA PARTICIPATED!! I KNEW #8 >:(
I'll come clean, I'm the one guy who got it, but only because I Googled games that the Carmen overture is used in.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Dudeman on May 20, 2017, 05:47:47 PMAnd out of curiosity, what melody did you think we'd think 11 was? Anybody who didn't immediately think that was Death By Glamour would be out of their mind.
I mentioned in my answer set that I thought at least one person would guess that it was "Metal Crusher".

With that being said, I did pick that portion of "Death By Glamour" partially because it had such a high chance of backfiring (i.e. if I picked the equivalent portion of "Metal Crusher", someone might have actually gotten it wrong).

Dudeman

Ohhh, I thought you were just throwing that in as an aside, unrelated to the point.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Yug_Guy

Just a friendly reminder that you guys have until 6:00 CST today to get your guesses in! There's some stiff competition going on right now!

Dudeman

I doubt that I'm going to have time during the rest of the day to post this in a timely manner, so here's my quiz now.

Dudeman's Triweekly Melody Quiz Entry

I'm not entirely sure of the structural integrity of this quiz, so hopefully it's okay for a first attempt. Good luck!
If MSF wins, I will be very upset.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Yug_Guy on May 22, 2017, 06:52:58 AMJust a friendly reminder that you guys have until 6:00 CST today to get your guesses in! There's some stiff competition going on right now!

I may not have time to guess. I haven't even looked at it yet.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Yug_Guy

Quote from: LeviR.star on May 22, 2017, 09:56:49 AMI may not have time to guess. I haven't even looked at it yet.
Send me a message via PM or Skype. I mostly picked 6:00 CST arbitrarily; right now I'm a little more flexible time-wise. If you can get your guesses in reasonably soon (say in 1-3 hours), that's fine by me. (That goes for anyone else wanting to participate as well).

Otherwise, results will be in the next few hours, so look forward to that!

Latios212

In the meantime, I've edited the schedule for Levi to set hosts for the following few weeks. Check the updated schedule.

And as before, please do tell if you would like to host (one time, or recurring).
Quote from: LeviR.star on May 16, 2017, 08:18:02 PMIf you would like to be a regular host, please let me know via PM and I'll automatically have you re-entered in the hosting schedule after each time you present your quiz. Thank you.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

Well, without further ado, let's get to the results:

Mild

Kirby Mass Attack - Main Theme
(Timestamp at 0:11)

A simple melody to start things off. I don't have much to say about this one; I chose it because I felt like it.

4 participants guessed this song correctly
[close]

Pokemon Ruby Version & Pokemon Sapphire Version - Route 113
(Timestamp at 0:22)

Possibly my favorite route theme from RSE. There's something so serene about this song playing in the background as volcanic ash rains on you from above. I thought I'd try using the second melody of the song to try and trip some of you up, but clearly you guys saw through it.

[close]

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Angel Island Zone
(Timestamp at 0:29)

Yeah, it's not "technically" Nintendo, but Sonic might as well be a Nintendo character at this point. Despite this being the from the first level in the game (and a featured song in Brawl), only one person got this one. I guess maybe I should've used a song from the first game? Oh well.

1 participant guessed this song correctly
[close]

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Lake Hylia
(Timestamp at 0:05)

Nothing much else to say here. A nice relaxing piece to take the number four spot.

[close]

Super Mario 64 - Merry-Go-Round
(Timestamp at 0:00)

Round and round and round it goes... who'll guess the melody?...

...well, I know.

5 participants guessed this song correctly
[close]

Hot

Overworld (Vs. Mode) - New Super Mario Bros.
(Timestamp at 0:04)

A fun little song found only in the multiplayer mode of the original NSMB. Thus, why it's in the "Hot" category.

3 participants guessed this song correctly
[close]

Pokemon Diamond Version & Pokemon Pearl Version - Route 225
(Timestamp at 0:15)

So here I am, putting in a melody found only in the postgame of DPPt, thinking it'll send you guys running in circles, when suddenly insaneintherainmusic posts a cover of this song the day I upload this quiz. While I am a little salty about that, do check out his video. It's quite good.

2 participants guessed this song correctly
[close]

Mario Kart Wii - Daisy Circuit
(Timestamp at 0:24)

My thought process for deciding to include this song went something like this: "What is the most boring, unmemorable song from all of Mario Kart?" I figured that might throw you guys for a loop

...clearly that didn't quite work.

5 participants guessed this song correctly
[close]

Kirby Super Star - Trees in the Depths in the Earth
(Timestamp at 0:06)

You can probably tell, but I gave up about halfway through when transcribing this song. Clearly, you didn't let that stop you from identifying it.

3 participants guessed this song correctly
[close]

EarthBound Beginnings (Mother) - Wisdom of the World (Queen Mary's Castle)

A bit obscure, I'll admit. Though to be fair, there is an arrangement of this song on site. Whether or not that makes up for the obscurity is up to you.

1 participant guessed this song correctly
[close]

Spicy

WarioWare D.I.Y. - Body Rock
(Timestamp at 0:17)

Who wouldn't want Jimmy T. as their aerobics instructor?

...okay, maybe not. But I still really like this song.

It's also at this point where I have to mention that nobody was able to get any of the songs following this one. Perhaps I made this section a bit too spicy...

2 participants guessed this song correctly
[close]

Secret of Mana - Danger
(Timestamp at 1:13)

Yup, I went there.

For those that don't remember, I had this song as my #3 entry in my last quiz. I figured it would be interesting to see how many people remembered this song after last time. Apparently, that number is zero.

...huh.

0 participants guessed this song correctly
[close]

Super Meat Boy - Hot Damned

Go play Super Meat Boy. That's all I'm going to say.

[close]

Pokemon Stadium 2 - Streaming Stampede
(Timestamp at 0:00)

BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP BLIP

[close]

Mirror's Edge - Still Alive
(Timestamp at 0:56 & repeats throughout)

*insert your own Portal joke here*

And lastly, the spiciest song of them all. I figured that the piano riff might have been one of those melodies that seems familiar, but one where you couldn't pin down exactly where it was from. Well, as far as I know, it just ended up being a really hard song. Whoops.

[close]

And now, for the winner...
Congratulations to Dudeman and Latios!
Tied for first with 7 points each!

Now please, enjoy your victory music:
[close]

Stats
Participant Points:
Dudeman - 7 points
Latios - 7 points
mastersuperfan - 6 points
LuxraySpiral - 5 points
Olimar12345 - 5 points
Lkjhgfdsa_77 - 4 points

Guesses by song:
1. MSF, Dudeman, Latios, Lkjhgfdsa
2. MSF, Dudeman, Luxray, Latios
3. Dudeman
4. MSF, Dudeman, Olimar, Lkjhgfdsa
5. MSF, Dudeman, Latios, Olimar, Lkjghfdsa
6. Luxray, Latios, Olimar
7. Luxray, Latios
8. MSF, Dudeman, Luxray, Latios, Olimar
9. MSF, Latios, Lkjhgfdsa
10. Olimar
11. Dudeman, Luxray
12. X
13. X
14. X
15. X
[close]

This quiz was a little rough around the edges, but it definitely went better than the last time I tried doing this. Hopefully it should be better next time!

Thank you to all who participated!

LeviR.star

Well, there goes my chance. I do know that I would've recognized #1, 5, 6, 8, 9, but I had a presentation to work on. But Yug_Guy, I like how you sorted out the obscurity levels! Good job with that!'

One question, though: Why is Daisy Circuit an "unmemorable" track? I figured something unmemorable would be something from Super Circuit, or maybe the Arcade GP games, but not the best-selling Mario Kart of all time!
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

mastersuperfan

Quote from: LeviR.star on May 22, 2017, 07:33:07 PMAlso, why is Daisy Circuit an unmemorable track? I figured something unmemorable would be something from Super Circuit, or maybe the Arcade GP games, but not the best-selling Mario Kart of all time!

I gotchu fam

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

Quote from: Yug_Guy on May 22, 2017, 07:20:07 PMMy thought process for deciding to include this song went something like this: "What is the most boring, unmemorable song from all of Mario Kart?" I figured that might throw you guys for a loop

...clearly that didn't quite work.
The first half didn't sound like much to me, but the last three measures in particular have that distinct Mario Kart sound - intricate rhythms involving 16th notes, and notes borrowed from the minor mode. That's why I can sometimes easily call out Mario Kart when I see it, for instance, MK64 Circuit, Wii Mario Circuit, GCN Rainbow Road, and Wii Daisy Circuit here.

Identifying them correctly, however, will be the death of me. The fact that so many of them draw from the same basic idea makes it hard for me to remember which one is which lol.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle