Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

mastersuperfan

THIRD ROUND HYPE

MSF ROUND C

This quiz should be easier. ...I hope. Only time will tell. But if you scored low on Round B, fear not; this round should go more smoothly!

Difficulty goes something like:
  • Easy: The Insig level. You should be getting at least 4 of these.
  • Medium: The Wah level. Expect to get 2 or 3 of these.
  • Hard: The Mael level. You might get 1 of these, if any.
The difficulty should also be more constant and randomly mixed throughout each section (mostly because trying to order everything in scaling difficulty order never worked anyways).

Crossovers: I probably should have elaborated on this earlier, but I'll do it now. Crossovers of two or three series only will count for all represented series (e.g. Hyrule Warriors, Pokkén Tournament, Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney). Games with more than three franchises (e.g. Super Smash Bros., Project X Zone) will count as their own series.

Once again, there are no games on this quiz that were on the last quiz (Round B). I'll compile and post a list later.

Finally, one last reminder: you still have hints! Half of you still have three hints remaining, so now's the time to use 'em if you need 'em. The list of remaining hints for each player is as follows:

Hints Remaining
Dekkadeci: 1
Dudeman: 3
InsigTurtle: 2
Latios212: 3
LeviR.star: 2
Maelstrom: 3
Static: 3
ThatHiddenCharacter: 1
WaluigiTime64: 2
Yug_Guy: 3
[close]

The usual stuff:

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 14, 2017, 09:17:33 PM
Franchise Representation
The four main franchises are all represented exactly four times--three times between the Easy and Medium sections and once in the Hard section:
  • Mario
  • Kirby
  • Pokémon
  • Zelda
Luigi, Yoshi, and Captain Toad games all count as Mario. Wario and Donkey Kong games do not.

Other than these four franchises, no series is repeated within a single quiz.
[close]

The Hint System
Here is where things might get a little convoluted. Each of you are all going to have three hints over my next four quizzes. You can message me with a request for a hint on a specific melody if you know you've heard but you don't know where from.

The catch? I post the hint publicly in the thread for everyone to see. Be assured, however, that the person who requested the hint will remain anonymous until the end of the round.

Hints will be larger for the Hard melodies and smaller for the Easy melodies since, well, the Hard melodies are obviously harder. I would advise you to list any information about the song that you think you already know so I can avoid giving you information that overlaps that isn't useful to you.

You can use multiple hints on a single quiz if you wish. You can also choose not to use all of your hints, or any at all. You cannot, however, use multiple hints on the same melody or request a hint for a melody that someone else requested a hint for.
[close]

Now, go nuts.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

mastersuperfan

Five people have guessed so far. This is a pain to do on a phone...

Scoreboard (Update #1)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  |  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  |  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ?  |  37
[close]

I find it pretty funny that 10 and 13 haven't been guessed yet. It's really nothing more than that the right people just haven't shown up yet...

By the way, I realized that #22 would probably be better notated in 4/4. I transcribed it in 3/4 because the percussion loops every three beats, but the melody itself fits much better in four-bar phrases in 4/4. Once I get home on my computer I'll update that.

By the way, one person finally got a 4/4 for one series!
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

mikey

unmotivated

mastersuperfan

You didn't participate in Round A or Round B. If you join now, you'll get three hints for C and D. You're just not yet listed, is all.

mikey

I guess that's also why nobody had cleared out an entire series yet huh
unmotivated

WaluigiTime64

*attempts to beat down first place*

*beats the shit out of second place instead*

thanks msf
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on August 16, 2017, 02:11:05 PM*attempts to beat down first place*

*beats the shit out of second place instead*

thanks msf

:'(

On a different note, I've updated the files with some corrections: mainly, I've removed the grace notes in #4 (thanks to a suggestion from the one and only person who's recognized it so far), and I've changed #22 to be in 4/4 instead of 3/4. It might be worth re-downloading the files to take another look:

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 16, 2017, 05:13:43 AMMSF ROUND C

mastersuperfan

I've got quite a bit of stuff for y'all.

First of all, THC asked me to post the answers and results for his quiz, so here you go:

(By the way, I'm just posting whatever THC told me. Don't shoot the messenger if there's a mistake.)

THC's Quiz - Answers and Results

"Wrong Number Song" - Undertale

Guessed by: MSF, Dudeman
[close]

"Coin Launcher" - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Guessed by: MSF, Dekka, Dudeman
[close]

"Meta Knight's Revenge" - Kirby Super Star

[close]

"World Map" - Donkey Kong Country

[close]

"Scaldera / Tentalus" - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Guessed by: Dudeman
[close]

"Boss Theme" - Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards

Guessed by: Dekka
[close]

"Evolution Theme" - Pokémon Red & Blue Versions

[close]

"Goomba Village" - Paper Mario

Guessed by: ---
[close]

"Captain Toad Goes Forth" - Super Mario 3D World

[close]

"Castle" - New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Guessed by: MSF (Dudeman missed this one? sad)
[close]

"Glitzville" - Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Guessed by: --- (dude this isn't in swing... but whatever)
[close]

"DK Summit" - Mario Kart Wii

[close]

"Game Boy Horror" - Luigi's Mansion

Guessed by: Dudeman
[close]

"Butterfly Collecting" - Super Paper Mario

Guessed by: ---
[close]

"Panic Pit" - Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

Guessed by: MSF
[close]

Scores
MSF, Dudeman - 9/15
Dekka - 4/15
[close]
[close]

Now, back on the subject of my quiz: another scoreboard update. Ten people have guesses in--and nine of them are returning competitors from Rounds A and B.

Scoreboard (Update #2)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  |  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  |  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  ?  |  37
[close]

If we compare scores between this quiz and Round B, there's a clear increase in scores from then to now. While the average is only marginally higher (6.5 now, or 6.78 only counting the nine returning competitors, compared to 6.2 in Round B), 7 people have higher scores in this round, while 2 people have lower scores. It's... an improvement, I suppose? At the least, the Medium section seems to be easier, even if the Hard section isn't getting many guesses...

Here's a list of all the games in Round B that aren't on this quiz:

Games NOT on This Quiz
Mario:
  • [N64] Super Mario 64
  • [3DS] Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
  • [3DS] Mario Kart 7
  • [Wii] Mario Kart Wii

Kirby:
  • [3DS] Kirby: Planet Robobot
  • [Wii] Kirby's Epic Yarn
  • [Wii] Kirby's Return to Dream Land
  • [3DS] Kirby's Blowout Blast

Pokémon:
  • [NDS] Pokémon Diamond & Pearl Versions (Platinum may still be represented)
  • [GBA] Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire Versions (Emerald may still be represented)
  • [NDS] Pokémon Black 2 & White 2 Versions
  • [3DS] Pokémon X & Y

Zelda:
  • [GCN] The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  • [N64] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  • [MUL] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • [GBC] The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages / Seasons (neither version is on this quiz)

Miscellaneous:
  • [Wii] Wii Sports
  • [NES] Mega Man 2
  • [3DS] Kid Icarus: Uprising
  • [NDS] Rhythm Heaven
  • [iOS] Love Live! School idol Festival
  • [SNES] Final Fantasy VI
  • [3DS] Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
  • [XBOX360] Eternal Sonata
  • [3DS] Azure Striker Gunvolt
[close]

Finally, a hint got requested for #11:

Requested Hints (1) - #11
  • #11: From one of the four main series. The transcribed melody is the entire loop. While the song is first heard during a certain cutscene, it does not play exclusively during that cutscene (i.e. it also plays outside of the cutscene).
[close]

mikey

unmotivated

Dudeman

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 16, 2017, 08:10:47 PM"Castle" - New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Guessed by: MSF (Dudeman missed this one? sad)
haven't played NSMBWii yo
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Dekkadeci

I always thought the chords in #8 of THC's quiz were part of the melody (so the melody would go E-C-C-G-C-C...).

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2017, 08:52:31 PMhaven't played NSMBWii yo

Really? Sad.

Another hint got requested for, of all things, #25 (although it has already been guessed by someone). You can find it below:

Requested Hints (2) - #11, #25
  • #11: From one of the four main series. The transcribed melody is the entire loop. While the song is first heard during a certain cutscene, it does not play exclusively during that cutscene (i.e. it also plays outside of the cutscene).
  • #25: From one of the four main series (indeed, it is!). Boss battle theme. The game was never released in North America.
[close]

mikey

unmotivated

WaluigiTime64

My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.