The NSM Guess-That-Melody Quiz!

Started by LeviR.star, March 17, 2017, 08:47:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastersuperfan

Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on July 12, 2017, 06:06:40 PM
Melody 13 (0/6)

Muncher Marathon - Donkey Kong Country

I've officially learned to never trust the sheets on-site unless they're made by Levi.

No one got this.
[close]

bruh

I know this one

where the heck is that melody in there
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

ThatHiddenCharacter

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 12, 2017, 06:14:12 PMbruh

I know this one

where the heck is that melody in there
Quote from: ThatHiddenCharacter on July 12, 2017, 06:06:40 PMI've officially learned to never trust the sheets on-site unless they're made by Levi.

@Levi Wah didn't participate, sadly. Neither did Olimar.
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

mastersuperfan

Did you seriously put a melody in your quiz without even listening to the original track
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

ThatHiddenCharacter

Quote from: mastersuperfan on July 12, 2017, 06:38:53 PMDid you seriously put a melody in your quiz without even listening to the original track
I intended to, but time restrictions. I listened to it just before I posted the answers, though. Trust me, I will not make these amateur mistakes again. Besides, I trusted Bloop. I was wrong. Never trust a squid. It's an inkredible mistake.
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

Olimar12345

dang I would have swept this quiz if I had done it. Bonus points for a Pikmin track? Easy.

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: LeviR.star on July 12, 2017, 06:11:50 PMAlso, come on Waluigi! I expected you to get #14!
Yeah it was easy. As THC mentioned, I forgot to submit answers (though not that I would've gotten very many anyway).
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Dekkadeci

It's been more than 24 hours, and only 3 people have submitted guesses so far. In case you've forgotten, here's my latest Guess-The-Song Quiz:

Quote from: Dekkadeci on July 12, 2017, 09:06:30 AMHere's my fourth Guess-The-Song Quiz:
[PDF] | [MIDI] | [MUS] | [MSCZ]

The MUS is readable in Finale, including Finale Notepad. The MSCZ is readable in Musescore. All other files are based on the original MSCZ, not the MUS--this explains why the PDF doesn't look like the MUS.
The MUS may display and/or play back bugged. The MSCZ, MIDI, and PDF shouldn't.

Surprise--I've included exactly 5 final boss themes in this quiz, and they're all in a bonus section! All final boss themes are labelled #1f through #5f. I will reveal separate tallies for the main section, the final boss bonus section, and both sections combined when I post the results.

With that being said, the rest of the songs are from a wide array of series, and they're likely more difficult overall than my third quiz...although I did throw in some much easier ones, I believe. Don't worry if you know only one song--you might be the only one to get it right!

You can PM answers to me until Saturday, July 15 at 1:00 PM MDT (a.k.a. Saturday, July 15 8:00 PM forum default time). I will not count any submissions made after that time, as I'll be too busy tallying results.
Results will be posted shortly afterwards.

Some guidelines for answering, how the melodies are transcribed, and what counts as a correct answer:
  • You may submit YouTube links/videos instead of game name-song name/best known use pairs.
  • All tempos are approximate.
  • Like last time, I will mark unambiguous songs with the right melody in the right key as correct. If your guess has the right melody in the wrong key, I will mark it as incorrect but PM back that you were close. You can freely guess again until the deadline.
  • I may not have gotten octave voicings correct in this quiz. If you think you've got the right song but it's off by an octave or two in parts, just guess that song anyway.
  • The high F note in the fourth bar of #1, #6, #15, the third bar of #3f, and #4f are less likely to be completely melodically and/or rhythmically accurate than the rest of the melodies.
  • You are still expected to submit game name-song name/best known use pairs or YouTube links/videos for the final boss bonus section. Hint 1: Giving game names alone for the bonus section results in ambiguous answers. Hint 2: At least one final boss in this section has at least two stages.
  • The last note of #6 is cut off.
  • The last bar of #1 is incompletely transcribed.
  • Due to the nature of their source songs, I am more likely to accept melodic variants of #7 and #17 as correct. Get the keys right, though.

mikey

unmotivated

InsigTurtle

I'm not submitting a PM because I don't know any of them lol

mastersuperfan

mastersuperfan

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on May 12, 2017, 01:32:39 PMIt is Saturday.

IN WHICH CASE, LET US BEGIN.

ALL RIGHT BOYS AND GIRLS, IT'S TIME FOR THIS GAME TO GET SERIOUS AGAIN.

MSF ROUND A

The first thing you're going to ask about is that "A" in the title. For shits and giggles, I'm going to be keeping track of scores collectively over my next four quizzes, A through D, and tally it up out of 100 points. Because series variety will be different between these quizzes, and I'm curious.

Below is some important information you're going to want for this quiz. Seriously, read it. (It applies to all four quizzes, A through D.)

The Difficulty Format
For the next four quizzes, I'm going to be splitting up my quiz into three difficulty sections as follows:
  • Easy: Either iconic themes or just tracks from very popular games. Expect to get at least half of these. I wouldn't be surprised if there were one or more perfect scores in this section. Simple at the start, but it gets a bit trickier by the end.
  • Medium: Harder than the Easy section, obviously. Manageable at the beginning but the difficulty ramps up by the end of the section. Expect to get a couple of these.
  • Hard: Don't expect to get any of these. No, seriously, don't. ...Although, in reality, this is the easiest Hard section you're going to see over the course of my next four quizzes, so most of you should be able to get at least one or two this time. Hopefully. We'll see.
[close]

Franchise Representation
The four main franchises are all represented exactly four times--three times between the Easy and Medium sections and once in the Hard section:
  • Mario
  • Kirby
  • Pokémon
  • Zelda
Yep, these four series make up the majority of melodies on the quiz. It's a lot, but the ones near the beginning the Easy section should be recognizable to people who aren't fans of those series, while the ones in the Hard section might not even be recognized by series veterans. There are also quite a few people who boast the ability to recognize the vast majority of tunes from a single series, so if you happen to be a diehard Zelda fan *cough**cough* or a master Kirby fan *cough**cough*, you know exactly how many are on here, so this will be a test, if you will.

Other than those four, no series is repeated. The other nine melodies are all from distinct franchises. (In other words, this is not Wah's quiz. Sorry, Mega Man and Banjo-Ptooey fans.)
[close]

The Hint System
Here is where things might get a little convoluted. Each of you are all going to have three hints over my next four quizzes. You can message me with a request for a hint on a specific melody if you know you've heard but you don't know where from.

The catch? I post the hint publicly in the thread for everyone to see. Be assured, however, that the person who requested the hint will remain anonymous until the end of the round.

Hints will be larger for the Hard melodies and smaller for the Easy melodies since, well, the Hard melodies are obviously harder. I would advise you to list any information about the song that you think you already know so I can avoid giving you information that overlaps that isn't useful to you.

You can use multiple hints on a single quiz if you wish. You can also choose not to use all of your hints, or any at all. You cannot, however, use multiple hints on the same melody or request a hint for a melody that someone else requested a hint for.
[close]

And finally, what is always customary when I'm hosting a round:

Scoreboard (Current)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25
[close]

Good luck! (You'll need it.)

Requested Hints
  • #7: From one of the four main series. Most people will only ever hear this once in-game, but it has over a million views on a single video outside of the game, so I figured people would know it. It transitions into 7/4 in a later section of the track.
  • #8: From one of the four main series. Plays in one of the levels/areas near the end of the game. It is not required to play/enter this level/area to beat the game, however.
  • #13: Not from one of the four main series. Also not playable on a Nintendo system. The title of the song refers to a certain character in the game.
[close]

Olimar12345

tldr any pikmin or should I go back to what I was doing?
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

mastersuperfan

Probably at least one, if not two, somewhere on my next four quizzes. I'm going to try and cover most franchises with these four. But you'll have to see for yourself if it's there for each one.

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Olimar12345 on July 14, 2017, 09:19:21 PMtldr any pikmin or should I go back to what I was doing?
There are no Pikmin melodies in my current quiz.

Speaking of that, maybe I will go with some last-minute hints:
  • If you aren't sure about a melody, PM me your remarks about it anyway. I'll PM you back about whether you're on the right track.
  • The more obscure the song, the more lax my marking is.
  • #1, #4, #5, #8, #15, #17, #2f, and #3f have transcriptions on NinSheetMusic. In addition, #10 and #13 are from remixes of songs with transcriptions on NinSheetMusic. I make no guarantees about the accuracy of those transcriptions.
  • #1 and #17 are supposed to be easy. I'm surprised how many people aren't getting #1 right so far.
  • Unlike some of my previous quizzes, there are NO Pokemon songs, NO Shovel Knight songs, and NO Touhou songs in this quiz.
  • Just like all of my previous quizzes, there are NO Zelda songs in this quiz.
  • The only series with more than one song in this quiz are Mario, Kirby, and arguably Super Smash Bros. None of the other songs share a series.
  • There is one Mega Man song and one Sonic song in this quiz.

mastersuperfan

Five people have submitted their guesses already. That was fast.

Scoreboard (Update #1)
Black = 0 people
Red = 1-2 people
Green = 3-4 people
Blue = 5-6 people
Purple = 7+ people

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25
[close]

I fear for the moment when Dudeman arrives...