Series: Other
Game: Halo 3: ODST
Console: Xbox 360
Title: The Light at the End: Another Rain
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Zunawe

[attachment deleted by admin]

Zunawe

The name of this is a little strange. The file in the digital soundtrack is called "The Light at the End", but includes 4 pieces, the first of which is "Another Rain". I'm not quite sure how to handle the title/subtitle, whatever. Here's a reference for the soundtrack's piece titles and organization.

Measure 21: I'm not quite sure whether those are meant to be (dotted) eighth notes or triplet eighth notes. It got a little ambiguous in the styled performance.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

Latios212

Quote from: Zunawe on March 07, 2017, 04:35:28 AMMeasure 21: I'm not quite sure whether those are meant to be (dotted) eighth notes or triplet eighth notes. It got a little ambiguous in the styled performance.
I think either way could work here, but I'm leaning towards the way you wrote it out. Just break up the middle note into a 16th tied to an eighth.

Measures 1-2 are super spaced out. One thing you could to is bump everything up half a system up until around m. 24 (which works nicely because the middle of page 2 is a bit stretched out too). This would break from the hypermeter but you could use some double barlines to differentiate the sections.

I haven't gone into it too closely yet, but for m. 3-10 (and the end too) may I suggest moving some of the LH notes into the RH? Right now I'm not entirely convinced what you have is the best way to write it since I'm spotting a bit of inconsistency (e.g. compare 3 and 7). This way you could move the LH back into bass clef, removing a lot of ledger lines, and try to keep the LH from nearly colliding with the RH in places.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zunawe

I should have tried to play it before submitting. Readability should be better. Left hand doesn't jump so much any more.

Edit: Forgot to break the dotted eighth. Will fix tomorrow.
You know you've been playing too much Dragon Quest when you're afraid your Hershey's Kisses are going to flee.

I program things

AmpharosAndy

The only thing I've noticed is that Bar 6 beat 2 should have another C note in the right hand above the Ab. This is the same when it repeats in bar 27.

I had no idea there were pretty songs like this in halo
innit

Zunawe

Is fix.

ODST is the only major Halo game I can think of with this more relaxed style of music. Jazzy and rainy (surprise on that second one). Halo 5 has some fantastic music too, but it's a grander style.

I program things

Latios212

- m. 2 Eb->F on beat 1. A fermata or caesura would do nicely at the end of 2, perhaps double barlines as well.

These following few apply to the end too.
- m. 6 not hearing the top C on beat 2.
- m. 8 you could move the eighth rest back onto the staff perhaps.
- m. 9 dyad sounds like Bb on the bottom not C.
- m. 10 no dotted quarter note?

- Follow-up on the measure distribution comments last time: bump some more measures down a bit so systems start with ms. 12, 14, 16, 18, 20. Relocates some of the space on the second page to the third system on the first page.
- m. 18 - slur the grace note?
- m. 22 - missing Ab under first C
- Last measure - it's a bit unclear that the 8va applies to the LH as well. Maybe just stick those notes on the top staff.

Cool sheet.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zunawe

Measure 2: Added F on beat 2 (in addition to the Db?)
There's already a caesura at the end of measure 2.

Measure 6 (27): The C was a suggestion by Andy. I don't hear it either, but I go insane listening to pieces over and over again. Removed.
Measure 8 (29): Fixed
Measure 9 (30): I still hear a C. A Bb doesn't match the dissonance I'm hearing around the Db.
Measure 10 (31): Fixed

Measure 18: Added slur
Measure 22: Added Ab
Measure 32: I originally had it that way and when I changed it, I forgot that the LH was up an octave. Changed back.

Also redistributed measures.

Any ruling on what the title should be?

I program things

Latios212

Quote from: Zunawe on March 16, 2017, 08:42:50 PMMeasure 9 (30): I still hear a C. A Bb doesn't match the dissonance I'm hearing around the Db.
Oh, I was referring to under the Eb in the RH on beat 2. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

About the title, I can't really say for sure (I don't recall something like this occurring before, also I'm not familiar with the OST at all...) but I have no objections. As long as the titling stays consistent with other potential future songs from this game you submit I say sure, this sounds just fine to me.

Oh and about m. 2 I meant the first dyad, the Eb should be an F. The dotted halves were fine as they were (no F in RH).

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zunawe

Ahh. Those make more sense. Fixed.

The only worry I have for this title is that it's long and a little crowded over near the composer. The OST is 17 tracks, and each one has ~4 distinct (and named) pieces inside it. Sometimes they flow into each other, and sometimes they don't. Sometimes it flows between two tracks. In this case, the track name is "The Light at the End" and the first piece in that track is "Another Rain". I'm tempted to say I prefer just "Another Rain", but since that name is not apparent in the track name, it would be harder to find. The physical disk's booklet apparently lists the tracks like so:
[close]
I dunno. The current way is probably fine.

I program things

Maelstrom

2 spacing issues:
1. The composer/arranger is way to high. It should be well below the title and game name.
2. You could easily fit another system on pg1 to cut down on the white space, but that's up to you.

As for the title, I can see it going either way. Do what you feel most comfortable with in this instance.

Latios212

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 17, 2017, 12:21:34 PM2. You could easily fit another system on pg1 to cut down on the white space, but that's up to you.
nah, just move the staves down with the composer info and it'll be fine.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

AmpharosAndy

Quote from: Latios212 on March 16, 2017, 07:15:36 PM- m. 6 not hearing the top C on beat 2.
Shoot I was listening to the wrong bit. Definitely ignore that....
innit

Zunawe

I program things

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot