News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

[WiiU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - "Korok Forest (Day)" by Pianoth Eakòs Shaveck

Started by Zeta, March 30, 2017, 04:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pianoth

Quote from: Maelstrom on March 31, 2017, 08:04:43 PMThere is no rule against including both versions in the same submission if you really want to, but if you think they're best split up, go ahead.
I think it's best split up, it's more practical. For example, if someone want to listen the night version with the midi, it would be a lot easier if there are 2 midi files.
Quote from: Latios212 on March 31, 2017, 08:14:02 PMPersonally I prefer it this way if the song is sufficiently long.

totally not because I only arranged the night version of Rito Village
It's 2 pages, I think it's sufficiently long.

I'll submit the night version right now then. By the way, this submission is now based on this OST instead.

Latios212

Alrighty, final check time~

- Tie directions! There are a few spots where the presence of layers flips some ties in the wrong direction. Like the tie between m. 9-10, and 30-31. Also the top one bending downwards in m. 31. Oh, and the tie between the two G's in m. 21.
- The courtesy natural in m. 10 seems kind of odd to me. Yeah there's an A flat in the previous measure but it's in a different part in a different hand so I don't think it's totally necessary.
- Any reason why you don't star the slur on the beginning of the note as opposed to one that's tied? (m. 9-12)
- Minor thing, but I'd suggest flipping the last beat of m. 21, since that's how it is in other measures and it'll make the slur bend upwards a little less.

All the notes sound correct! Very nice job!

EDIT: Is this based on a song from Wind Waker or something which is why Hajime Wakai is listed as a composer?

EDITY EDIT: cool thing I noticed: the melody in m. 22-25 bears an extremely striking resemblance to Lively Town from Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon (skip to around 0:38).
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mikey

To be honest the ostinato is mildly reminiscent of faron woods in skyward sword but it doesn't recall any ww songs
unmotivated

Pianoth

Quote from: Latios212 on April 02, 2017, 02:00:37 PM- Tie directions! There are a few spots where the presence of layers flips some ties in the wrong direction. Like the tie between m. 9-10, and 30-31. Also the top one bending downwards in m. 31. Oh, and the tie between the two G's in m. 21.
I did notice the tie on the very last note (not the other ones, I admit), but I was too lazy checking how to flip ties in Finale (I'm good at Finale, it's just that I don't use it since 2013, I got used to Sibelius a lot more). I saw it's as easy as a cmd+f (I use Mac), so I corrected everything.

Quote from: Latios212 on April 02, 2017, 02:00:37 PM- The courtesy natural in m. 10 seems kind of odd to me. Yeah there's an A flat in the previous measure but it's in a different part in a different hand so I don't think it's totally necessary.
That was most probably an automatic courtesy natural put by Sibelius, since the first version was converted from it. I actually think it makes sense, but I also think that even a beginner could tell that's an A natural in that case. So I removed it. (I didn't even remember how to remove it lol)

Quote from: Latios212 on April 02, 2017, 02:00:37 PM- Any reason why you don't star the slur on the beginning of the note as opposed to one that's tied? (m. 9-12)
There isn't really that much difference on a piano. The way I wrote it seemed more correct to me, thinking it orchestrally. Actually, listening to the audio again, probably it should even start from the C. I'll change it to what you're implicitly suggesting though, I trust your opinion ;)

Quote from: Latios212 on April 02, 2017, 02:00:37 PM- Minor thing, but I'd suggest flipping the last beat of m. 21, since that's how it is in other measures and it'll make the slur bend upwards a little less.
Done.

Quote from: Latios212 on April 02, 2017, 02:00:37 PMAll the notes sound correct! Very nice job!
Thanks :) Actually, there's one bar that's still really bothering me: bar 31. Damn. I feel like it's not exactly what I wrote, but I can't tell if that's actually the case.

Quote from: Latios212 on April 02, 2017, 02:00:37 PMEDIT: cool thing I noticed: the melody in m. 22-25 bears an extremely striking resemblance to Lively Town from Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon (skip to around 0:38).
The resemblance is pretty evident indeed. That might just a coincidence, since that's a pretty standard progression. But it might also be intended, especially considering that the soundtrack of this game was not composed by a single person.

Latios212

Fantastic! For m. 9-12 it's fine to start on either the D or the C, I was just saying it's odd for the slur to start in the middle of a note for piano.

Is there something you would like me to check in m. 31 specifically?

About the composer, actually upon further inspection I'm seeing Hajime Wakai instead of the two main composers Kataoka and Iwata but uh I'm not 100% sure about that, maybe we can just leave it as is haha
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Pianoth

Quote from: Latios212 on April 02, 2017, 03:16:18 PMFantastic! For m. 9-12 it's fine to start on either the D or the C, I was just saying it's odd for the slur to start in the middle of a note for piano.
Yeah I know, but I pretty much always think of the orchestra, even when I write for piano. Basically, in the middle of that D I felt like some other instrument started playing the melody, while the instrument that originally played the D was still playing it. If you think to it like this it kinda makes sense, even though it's pretty much the same thing on a piano. That's not what happens in the original song, though, so I guess some correction needed to be done.

Quote from: Latios212 on April 02, 2017, 03:16:18 PMIs there something you would like me to check in m. 31 specifically?
Nope. I just can't tell if it's correct or not, despite my absolute pitch, and that's bothering me. ;D It's "correct enough", though.

Quote from: Latios212 on April 02, 2017, 03:16:18 PMAbout the composer, actually upon further inspection I'm seeing Hajime Wakai instead of the two main composers Kataoka and Iwata but uh I'm not 100% sure about that, maybe we can just leave it as is haha
I did some research on the composer too. The information found just isn't clear... So I just put all of them. Do we leave it as it is? I don't know.

Maelstrom

Zeta