News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

Fire Emblem Heroes!

Started by Maelstrom, February 02, 2017, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

I actually see it having another purpose of offering free watered-down FE combat, which people might take interest in and thus become more curious about the games.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 04, 2017, 07:34:24 PMThis is basically FE lite. Don't expect too much in terms of depth or story. It's more of a fanservice game for longterm fans where you try to get all your favorite characters.

Basically this. ^^

If you want to get a FE game, it's probably best to go for Fire Emblem for the GBA (FE7) or Awakening on 3DS. Sacred Stones (FE8, GBA) also is a fine starting point, and Path of Radiance might also be a good bet, but you'd have to find it first, and it's ridiculously expensive (unless you emulate it).
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Maelstrom

Path of radiance is probably a bad entry point simply because it throws everything at you at once. FE7 has a built in tutorial you will hate if you play it last. It also introduces the mechanics at a steady pace.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Nebbles

fates is good if you like bad games
Quote from: Dudeman on April 13, 2016, 04:54:04 PM
- Nebbles, the beauty with the heart of frozen steel

Dude

EFitTrainr

Fates isn't a bad game. Mighty No. 9 is a bad game.
I like food.

WaluigiTime64

My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Maelstrom

Nebbles

At least I can laugh at how bad Mighty No. 9 is. Fates just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Dudeman

As a guy who's never touched the FE series and only has passing impressions of the most recent games, why do long-time fans dislike Fates? Legit question.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Nebbles

Fates felt more of a tactical waifu simulator than what Fire Emblem is actually supposed to be, a challenging srpg series. The writing and story was horrible in comparison to previous titles, the cast was bland was hell save a few good characters, and Corrin was the STUPIDEST protag to ever waltz out of the series. They spend the whole game bumbling around and having their siblings be like "aww it ok we'll fix ur mistakes!!"

Also, there was no reason for the game to be split into three.  Not at all. It was a cheap ploy at a cash grab, and Revelations is the "canon" route, so what was even the POINT of the difficult """"choices"""" they had you make? It made Conquest and Birthright literally shitty AUs that had no purpose of existing because they weren't even canon.

Maelstrom

^This.

In all honestly, the gameplay wasn't that bad, in Conquest at least. Nor was the music. The story, the characters, most of the art, and just about every other aspect of the game was so horrifically bad, it undoes everything FE stands for.

Echo

Quote from: Dudeman on February 05, 2017, 01:55:29 PMAs a guy who's never touched the FE series and only has passing impressions of the most recent games, why do long-time fans dislike Fates? Legit question.

Mainly bad writing. That's nothing new, since FE's mixed when it comes to story and scripting (Blazing Blade and Genealogy have outstanding plot/characters for example, while Radiant Dawn and Awakening are generally regarded as subpar/idiotic), but it's still a legitimate complaint. Characters come across as shallow, there's a bad trend recently with characters idolizing the protagonists too much because of the whole "you are the protagonist" thing they're pushing with the Avatar feature.

Outside of that I do think they did really well with the gameplay mechanics and level design, the bad taste comes from how Conquest or Birthright alone feel incomplete and clearly push for either buying Revelations or some DLC quest sets for closure.

If you had to get just one I'd get Conquest. Birthright's designed to be easier for newcomers (hence it allows grinding and such), but Conquest definitely has the more interesting characters and more clever challenges to think around.

Maelstrom

Quote from: Echo on February 05, 2017, 05:06:20 PMMainly bad writing. That's nothing new, since FE's mixed when it comes to story and scripting (Blazing Blade and Genealogy have outstanding plot/characters for example, while Radiant Dawn and Awakening are generally regarded as subpar/idiotic), but it's still a legitimate complaint. Characters come across as shallow, there's a bad trend recently with characters idolizing the protagonists too much because of the whole "you are the protagonist" thing they're pushing with the Avatar feature.
EHCOOOOOOOO

It's so bad, I think simply calling it bad is a complement to it. It came off, not as bad, or generic like Awakening's 2nd half, but as offensive. I've never put down a game before because I hated the writing so much, despite enjoying the gameplay. Corrin goes out of his way to be insultingly naive and everything works out for him. You know, how he always sets his sword to "stun" and insists no one was killed in a battle despite everyone screaming in pain when they ran out of HP and lying on the ground like they're dead. The setup for battles was mostly stupid and extraneous. It never really felt like most of the battles mattered, and they were more singly throway TV episodes instead of being a long journey like PoR or SS. Heck, they couldn't even come up with a slightly stupid reason for children this time. There's always the matter of that certain person dying to save the avatar from the type of enemy you had just defeated 20+ of in the chapter leading up to that point. I tried to go in with an open attitude. All I got were protein jokes a bad taste in my mouth.