I recently started using LilyPond
as an alternate way to write non-NSM sheet music. For those who don't know, LilyPond is a sheet music-writing software that uses a text input akin to a programming language to compile .pdfs and .midis of sheet music. LilyPond is free, open source, and allows detailed customization of music output. I'll put my LilyPond arrangements here and depending on how many people want to talk about LilyPond I or someone else could make another thread. I'll also use the same format as my Transcriptions for Other Instruments thread.
The file types available will be as follows -
- .ly - used for compiling
- .mid - LilyPond output
- .pdf - LilyPond output
- .txt - copy-paste of .ly file
- .zip - previous versions of filesSong Title || Game || Instruments || LDA || Completion
The Legendary Hero || The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker || Solo Cello || 60 || 82%
This first arrangement was meant to teach myself about the basics of LilyPond after following a few tutorials. I decided that writing for multiple instruments would likely take much more time and might be confusing as everything looks the same. In addition,
I already listened to it to the point that I memorized it
NinSheetMusic already has an arrangement on the site which I was able to use when I couldn't listen to it by ear. I started with a draft of the main melody (v.0.# in the .zip) and then went through a few more times adding dynamics, bowing, and fingerings (v1.#). I don't currently have a cello to play so I will have to wait until I get my hands on a school one to see if the fingerings are comfortable and where I should add extra bowing.
Molgera || The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker || Cello Sextet || 60 || 80%
This one was largely based off of Maelstrom's arrangement, but I made a few improvements to justify having six cellists. Two cellists (Perc[ussion] 1 - 2) play the same percussive pattern for the entire song instead of a note; this also adds the "chika-chika" in the form of using the fingernails to rapidly hit the cello. The countermelody voices in both sections have been reverted to the original state and the melody in the "bridge" has been continued when Meal cut them off to play the countermelody. I also let the melody cello play an octave higher in the second repeat, but because it goes ridiculously high in some sections I knew I had to bring it down. I put it back when the brass takes the melody in the bridge for now. Note that LilyPond doesn't put percent repeats in the .mid (listen to it and pull the score up to see what I mean) which means that by default the .mids have missing percussion. I replaced the percent repeats with "unfold" repeats in v0.23.1; while it's not the most recent copy it does provide a guideline of what it should sound like. I also need to do dynamic work...
Templates for personal use
songTitle || game ||instruments || lda || completion%
description, completion details, etc.