News:

Spotted an error on the main site? Let us know!

Main Menu

Best DS music

Started by Nitro Indigo, January 20, 2017, 10:48:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitro Indigo

I'm currently planning on making a list of my favourite music from DS games. I'd like some ideas for it, be it by jogging my memory or introducing me to amazing music I've never heard. Here's the list at the moment:
QuotePokémon Black & White Versions 2
Aspertia City

Children of Mana
Tower of the Flickering Prayer

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time, Darkness & Sky
A Grand Tale of Time and Darkness
Time Gear
Vast Ice Mountain Peak (Sky)
Hidden Highland
Memories Returned

Pokémon Black & White Versions
Opelucid City (White)
Village Bridge

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team
Sky Tower

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
The Ocean King's Theme (fan-name)

Pokémon Diamond & Pearl Versions
Outside the Pokémon League (Day)
Route 209 (Day)
Canalave City (Day)
Battle! Team Galactic Boss
Lake

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
Tears of Courage
Drop of Light

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Opening
Overworld Adventure
Tower of Spirits Staircase
Before the Final Battle
Fighting Cole and Malladus
(All of these names come from Zelda Universe's playlist)

New Super Mario Bros.
Overworld Theme

Animal Crossing: Wild World
Main Theme/Title Screen
K. K. Condor

Pokémon Conquest
Electric Battle

Professor Layton and the Lost Future
A Quiet Town

Pokémon HeartGold & SoulSilver Versions
Route 47

Okamiden
Preparing for Action

Professor Layton series
Professor Layton's theme
These are in the order I thought of them.

In particular, I need help cutting down my Explorers and Spirit Tracks list, since the final video will only allow one track per game. Not one per franchise, though, because about a third of the DS games I've played are Pokémon games.
Quote from: MaestroUGC on January 07, 2017, 11:45:40 AM
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

Maelstrom

Look up Radiant Historia and Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

Nitro Indigo

I've heard of those! Radiant Historia was never released in my country, but I remember reading a preview of it in Official Nintendo Magazine (RIP), and DS games aren't region-locked. Of course, I don't need to play a game to listen to its soundtrack.
You mean a thing that happened some time ago is older now and it's suddenly dawning on you that an equal amount of time has passed for you as well? How revolutionary.

Echo

daj

Quote from: Maelstrom on January 20, 2017, 11:36:30 AMKingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

While I'm a Pokemon fan mostly, and melodrama isn't really my thing, this game's soundtrack is fucking beautiful. If you have your speakers on and don't cry at the final boss fight, then you're clearly a Heartless because even the main Heartless in the game cried </3

Static

You should add the final boss themes from Mario & Luigi BiS and PiT.

mikey

Some of my favorite DS era music:
Amp Plains (pmd explorers)
Byrne Helps Out (spirit tracks)
Title theme (phantom hourglass)
Route 209 (pokemon dppt)

And now I'm realizing that as a preteen my library was not nearly as expansive as it is now
unmotivated

Latios212

Where's the Kirby love?

Everyone has their own favorite Pokémon tracks (I agree with many of the picks mentioned above) but it would be remiss not to give nods to HeartGold and SoulSilver (National Park and Cianwood City, for instance).
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Nitro Indigo

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on January 20, 2017, 09:47:47 PMSome of my favorite DS era music:
Amp Plains (pmd explorers)
Byrne Helps Out (spirit tracks)
Title theme (phantom hourglass)
Route 209 (pokemon dppt)

And now I'm realizing that as a preteen my library was not nearly as expansive as it is now
Two of those are already on the list.

How did I forget about Ace Attorney? I've never played any of them, but I used to listen to Turnabout Sisters a lot. But wait a minute - is the music different enough from the GBA versions?

As for HeartGold and SoulSilver, I really like the music in the route leading to the Safari Zone. Route 47?

As for Radiant Historia, are there any tracks in particular I should listen to?

mikey

Can't you do gba I had way more of those games than DS
unmotivated

Nitro Indigo

I'll do GBA another time.

I've also just added Preparing for Action from Okamiden to my Word document I copied the list in the OP from. Should I update the OP?

Also... Okamiden is the sequel to Okami, a PlayStation 2 game that was ported to the Wii. In my music lists, I'll only count remakes for the new console if the music is significantly changed, so Okami's soundtrack will only qualify for a theoretical PS2 list. However, in the sixth generation, multiplatform games became more common, which begs the question... what list would multiplatform games go on? The first console they were released on? The console they were designed for?

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm glad that the GameCube port of Lunatea's Veil was cancelled, because there would be no ambiguity as to what the top spot of said theoretical PS2 list would be.

SlowPokemon

Personally, my favorite video game track ever is the original "Professor Layton's Theme"
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

K-NiGhT

Blue Rescue Team and Explorers of Time the whole reason I came to this site, so the entire soundtrack of both of those games are wooooorth.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on April 28, 2015, 06:48:06 PM
what are you doing stop making nsm a better place by spreading happiness

SlowPokemon

Also not really related, but I think "Time Gear Remix" is better than "Time Gear," I also love "Waterfall Cave," "Treeshroud Forest," and "Hidden Land" more than most of the tracks you listed
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Latios212

Quote from: Nitro Indigo on January 20, 2017, 11:42:58 PMRoute 47?
Yes this one's fantastic! Probably my favorite new composition for HGSS along with "Battle! (Ho-oh)"
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle