News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[SNES] EarthBound - "Battle Against a Weak Opponent" by Static

Started by Zeta, January 08, 2017, 09:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: EarthBound
Game: EarthBound
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Battle Against a Weak Opponent
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Static

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Static

I tried including the weird percussion breaks just for fun, although I'm not 100% sure on the timing for all of them.

daj

Ahh, I love this track! I was trying to find the official name of it too, aaand it turns up on a well-done submission on NSM! ^^ Real nice :)

Off the top of my head, it's note-perfect and rhythm-perfect (whoa! that's actually crazy :p). I think the tuning of the "flourishes" is definitely a challenge, and you ignored the high part of those while keeping the bubbles below, which makes for the best reproduction on the piano. Yayy ^^

One thing for sure though - I'd definitely write those flourishes in separate bars (i.e. 1/4 bar, 3/16 bar) instead of clumping them together for a weird time signature. I think 4/4 + 3/16 is okay, but 5/4 is often used to suggest 2+3 or 3+2, and definitely not 4+1. Along with that you've got to admit that the accent falls on the flourish itself, so it should be marked as the start of a bar~

Other than that, great work, and I'm really glad to see this on site :)

(dang i should do these more haha they're fun~)

Static

Quote from: dajwxp on January 13, 2017, 02:08:29 AMAhh, I love this track! I was trying to find the official name of it too, aaand it turns up on a well-done submission on NSM! ^^ Real nice :)

Off the top of my head, it's note-perfect and rhythm-perfect (whoa! that's actually crazy :p). I think the tuning of the "flourishes" is definitely a challenge, and you ignored the high part of those while keeping the bubbles below, which makes for the best reproduction on the piano. Yayy ^^

Thanks!

Quote from: dajwxp on January 13, 2017, 02:08:29 AMOne thing for sure though - I'd definitely write those flourishes in separate bars (i.e. 1/4 bar, 3/16 bar) instead of clumping them together for a weird time signature. I think 4/4 + 3/16 is okay, but 5/4 is often used to suggest 2+3 or 3+2, and definitely not 4+1. Along with that you've got to admit that the accent falls on the flourish itself, so it should be marked as the start of a bar~

These should all be fixed now.

daj

Looks great! I was suggesting separate bars for the flourishes, but this sheet looks much better and makes much more sense - this indicates that the general pulse is 4/4, but with additions, and that's exactly what the track is. So great job there ^^

Static

Thanks! Yep, that's exactly why I chose to do that.

I also fixed one more tiny thing: I changed the dotted 8th-16th rhythm in bar 11 LH to a quarter note.

Maelstrom

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Maelstrom.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot