News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[Wii] Super Mario Galaxy - "Drip Drop Galaxy" by E. Gadd Industries & LeviR.star

Started by Zeta, January 08, 2017, 10:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Super Mario Galaxy
Console: Nintendo Wii
Title: Drip Drop Galaxy
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arrangers: E. Gadd Industries & LeviR.star

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

E. Gadd Industries

"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

JDMEK5

Cool stuff, my friends! Just a few aesthetic things (as I'm literally walking between classes rn):

- I get the idea behind it, but I don't think "With Birds" is an effective tempo marking. Try something else or nothing at all. This would just end up confusing for anyone unfamiliar with SMG.
- LH measure 3-4: You only need one 'simile'. Get rid of the second one.
- Measure 12-13: Maybe fix some of the dynamics? They're pretty crammed.
- Maybe try resizing everything a bit smaller. This should help your crammed measure systems as well as tight spots as we see all over with lots of 2nd intervals. Also, it may give you the opportunity to put more space between the systems (sometimes the 8va is a bit close to the system above for my taste but that's a small thing (I say this with the second system in mind specifically)).

Looks nice otherwise.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

E. Gadd Industries

-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

The Deku Trombonist

The chords in bars 17-18 and 21-22 are missing an Eb and an F above and the chords in bars 19-20 and 23-24 are missing an Eb and Db above.

The chords from 12-16 are also missing an F below, but they don't sound too bad as they are anyway. It was just those other bits that sounded quite empty.

I think this sheet could benefit from splitting the staves into separate channels so that the chords aren't so loud and proud. I know we're not NinMidiMusic, but good sounding playback is still nice to have where practical.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 11, 2017, 05:40:57 AMThe chords from 12-16 are also missing an F below, but they don't sound too bad as they are anyway. It was just those other bits that sounded quite empty.
Do you mean m13-16? There's no chords in measure 12, unless you're saying you want me to create dyads.

My apologies for the chord issues, they're not my best strength. :-[
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

LeviR.star

The .musx file as of right now: [MUSX]

Could someone explain what is meant by "splitting the staves"? Other than that, all the chords are fixed thanks to Deku Trombonist's help. But the files are not updated yet.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

E. Gadd Industries

A thing: When the F is added to m16, the resulting chord spans an 11th interval. I don't believe that's very playable by the general public. What do?
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

E. Gadd Industries

Looks great! Also, I love what you did with the articulation. Very clever indeed! With that, I've updated the files to those of Deku's. Anything else need fixing?
-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

LeviR.star

Just to make sure that this hasn't been forgotten...

I can't think of anything else to change. Any other suggestions?

E. Gadd Industries

-The Sign Painter

Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

JDMEK5

Almost there!

Final things from me:
-Put a note in text or something near the RH saying something like "Play RH an octave higher than written throughout", then get rid of the 8va.
-I wish there was a better way to negotiate the crammed chords throughout the second half, but sometimes there just isn't really anything you can do about it; and this is kinda one of those times.
-The beaming in the RH in measures 18 and 22 beats 1-2 make me uncomfortable (where the two inside beats of a half note duration get beamed together). I would recommend breaking those up.
-Measures 7 and 9 RH you have a half rest holding over a strong beat. Break them up into quarter rests.
-Last note in LH measure 18 should be Gb.
-Just be aware of the hands crossing in measure 11. Maybe it works; I haven't tried it for myself. Just be aware.
-Measure 15, I'm not fond of having hairpins touching barlines. It never happens in published scores from what I see. Back it up just a bit..

I didn't get a chance to thoroughly check the accuracies of the block chords in the second half so if someone else could verify those that would be great; but you guys have the right idea.

Also consider using slurs. A piece like this could benefit from them imo.

Just as a last little piece of advice, rather than "watery despair" I kinda see myself inclined towards something a little more specific. Like, the galaxy itself is kinda empty in the game and made me feel lonely and separated from all the life in the Comet Observatory or other galaxies as is usually the case. If I were you, I would consider trying to use the tempo marking to reflect this trait of the game somehow. Like maybe "In watery isolation" or something. Just my thought. How you have it now isn't wrong and if you really want to leave it that way I can live with that. Just my two cents on the scenario that's all.
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

LeviR.star

Quote from: JDMEK5 on January 29, 2017, 12:02:27 PMAlmost there!

Final things from me:
-Put a note in text or something near the RH saying something like "Play RH an octave higher than written throughout", then get rid of the 8va.
-I wish there was a better way to negotiate the crammed chords throughout the second half, but sometimes there just isn't really anything you can do about it; and this is kinda one of those times.
-The beaming in the RH in measures 18 and 22 beats 1-2 make me uncomfortable (where the two inside beats of a half note duration get beamed together). I would recommend breaking those up.
-Measures 7 and 9 RH you have a half rest holding over a strong beat. Break them up into quarter rests.
-Last note in LH measure 18 should be Gb.
-Just be aware of the hands crossing in measure 11. Maybe it works; I haven't tried it for myself. Just be aware.
-Measure 15, I'm not fond of having hairpins touching barlines. It never happens in published scores from what I see. Back it up just a bit..

I didn't get a chance to thoroughly check the accuracies of the block chords in the second half so if someone else could verify those that would be great; but you guys have the right idea.

Also consider using slurs. A piece like this could benefit from them imo.

Just as a last little piece of advice, rather than "watery despair" I kinda see myself inclined towards something a little more specific. Like, the galaxy itself is kinda empty in the game and made me feel lonely and separated from all the life in the Comet Observatory or other galaxies as is usually the case. If I were you, I would consider trying to use the tempo marking to reflect this trait of the game somehow. Like maybe "In watery isolation" or something. Just my thought. How you have it now isn't wrong and if you really want to leave it that way I can live with that. Just my two cents on the scenario that's all.

Thanks for the feedback! The files are all updated now!