News:

The monkeys are up to something...

Main Menu

The Official Wind Waker Project

Started by Latios212, December 28, 2016, 06:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Deku Trombonist

Yes the ones in black are unclaimed so go for it!

RustyJustice

Awesome! In that case I'll start with a couple from disc two:

• 17 Princess Zelda's Theme
  • 20 Fairy Spring

Should I post them here first when I'm finished? Or should I start the submission process first? Sorry for all the questions heh I promise I did read the forum posts about this...
Eventually when I do something funny on the forums I'll post it here.

Sebastian

You can post them here when you're finished with them. Arrangement projects cover a specific game and get their own update after a certain period of time or sheets have been arranged. The submissions are for any sheets from any game that you wish to submit. Any member can submit a maximum of 2 sheets per submission update on the submissions board.
As for arrangement projects, you can submit as many as you like.

Quote from: RustyJustice on February 08, 2018, 03:19:07 AM
  • 17 Princess Zelda's Theme
  • 20 Fairy Spring
Can't wait to see these! : )

BrainyLucario

[Snip]
When given the choice between adulting and music, choose music every time.

BrainyLucario

[Snip]

FireArrow

Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Trasdegi

Hey! That's my sheet!

Also, Why not put "D.C." instead of "Go to measure 1"?

FireArrow

No particular reason. I can switch it if it's more appropriate.

BrainyLucario

[snip]

BrainyLucario

[Snip]

Piano Psychopath

Seems all the fun ones were taken. If y'all don't mind I will be doing Hyrule King Appears and Jalhalla Appears
J̨̜̰͍̻̲ ̻U̩̻͟ ̹̬͕̥̜̮ͅS͔̙̩̱͎͢ ̲̺͈̟͙̖̦T̺̫̳̞̱̝̠ ̵͉̦̲ ̳̩͓̤̞̜̼͜M̦̣͓̀ ̟̖Ò̦̦͖͔͖̜ ̡̱̲͓̞͔͖Ǹ͎̳̳͍͖̟ ̜̥̭͕̤ͅI̱͉̥ ̭̪K͇͕̺̭͞ ̫̹̘͇͍A̩̪͢

The Deku Trombonist

Yacht Game - FireArrow

Here are the links to my edited files. Comes with bonus page formatting: Musx | Mus

Thoughts on the RH:
- Measure 2-4, I fiddled around with the chords a little to get something that matched the original better.
- Measure 5, it's perfectly acceptable (and generally easier to read) to use a dotted half note on beat 2 because it simply takes up the remaining number of beats in the measure.
- Measure 8, I'm not convinced that eighth note on beat 4 is really deserving of a staccato.
- In measures 9-10, I'm not entirely convinced about having that D tied over for 3 measures, but I guess it doesn't do any harm.
- I know that bit at the end of measure 11 is a bit sketchy in terms of rhythm but I really think it sounds much more like a triplet figure than an 8th-16th-16th figure.
- Measure 13 works just fine with just the bottom layer. I'm not really convinced that the top layer adds a whole lot musically. Also, make sure the ties are facing the correct way when using multiple layers. They should go the same way as the stems. Ie for downward facing stems, the ties should also go down and vice versa.
- Measures 15-16 need a better solution in order to make it clear where the melody is. Either something visual or re-arranging it. If I just look at it without having the original track in my head, I have no idea which notes are the melody and which are harmony.
- And again in measure 17, I'm not totally sold on the top layer. Also on measure 17, I cleaned it up so it's easier to read and a bit less of a layer cake. Yes, technically speaking I cut something out and combined something else, but I think the improvements in readability are worth it and the amount that's actually lost is very minimal.
- New measure 21: The track doesn't quite repeat. There is no harmony in the RH in measure 21-22. So with that in mind, I removed the repeat and just wrote it out again.
- I tidied up measure 31 so that it reads more clearly.

Thoughts on LH:
- I'm not so sure about having some of the bass notes so low. It adds difficulty and I'm not quite sure what else. Sure I think there a couple of spots where it could benefit from dropping down to add weight, but I think those moments should be chosen carefully with musical impact in mind. Eg measure 20, or the last 4 measures. Play around have some fun with it.
- I'm also not a fan of the beaming of the last two repeated 8th notes in each measure. I think it makes it harder to read. Sometimes odd beaming works but I don't think this is one of those spots.
- The LH somewhat clashes with the RH in measure 5. It's in an icky register so I don't know what you'd want to do about it but I think it'd be worth having a ponder.
- Measure 20 was really crying out for that 7th chord tone which is in the strings in the original track. I think the LH seemed like the best place to put it but you can shuffle it around if you like.
- The last note of measures 12 and 28 is an E, not a D.

Other things:
- I prefer to use D.C. (or D.S. as needed) rather than "Go to measure #" because D.C. is more commonly recognised as a standard marking for that sort of thing.
- If you're going to use 2 pages, use 2 pages. It looks more professional and balanced and less like something you just found on the internet ::)

Onionleaf

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on February 05, 2018, 03:13:35 AMHere's an idea: MUSX

It's so seamless now, wow, thank you! Updated links: MUS MUSX

QuoteWith some chin stroking and ho-humming I hope!

Haha, likewise!

FireArrow

Hows this?

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on February 16, 2018, 12:52:57 AM- Measure 2-4, I fiddled around with the chords a little to get something that matched the original better.

Ah good catch, I still prefer the G# -> A voicing though. It looks neater and 4 notes is a lot more comfortable than 5. I don't feel missing the G# below the A in the second half of the measure really matters.

Quote- Measure 13 works just fine with just the bottom layer. I'm not really convinced that the top layer adds a whole lot musically. Also, make sure the ties are facing the correct way when using multiple layers. They should go the same way as the stems. Ie for downward facing stems, the ties should also go down and vice versa.

It's an octave lower in the original but that clashed with the L.H. I didn't really wanna mess with the L.H. too much so meh, if it doesn't work up there I can live without it.

Quote- Measures 15-16 need a better solution in order to make it clear where the melody is. Either something visual or re-arranging it. If I just look at it without having the original track in my head, I have no idea which notes are the melody and which are harmony.

Does this work? Makes more sense in the context of the piece after you fixed up the layers, although I don't know if it's good to adjust a note length purely for readability.

Quote- The LH somewhat clashes with the RH in measure 5. It's in an icky register so I don't know what you'd want to do about it but I think it'd be worth having a ponder.

I just left out the F# in the R.H. Everything I tried with the L.H. ended up sounding gross.

Quote- Measure 20 was really crying out for that 7th chord tone which is in the strings in the original track. I think the LH seemed like the best place to put it but you can shuffle it around if you like.

I made it a 3 note chord with the A. A being the 5th scale degree created a lot of forward momentum I really think is needed there. The extra note shouldn't be too out of place since it's a big cadence.

Everything else I left as you did. I really like most of the changed, thanks!

The Deku Trombonist

Wind Temple

Awesome.

Sorry, one last thing: Here's a layout adjustment for a more even appearance (thanks Bespinben!) - Musx

Yacht Game

New links: Musx | Mus

Quote from: FireArrow on February 17, 2018, 05:43:02 PMAh good catch, I still prefer the G# -> A voicing though. It looks neater and 4 notes is a lot more comfortable than 5. I don't feel missing the G# below the A in the second half of the measure really matters.
Sorry about that, old habits die hard sometimes. I agree that looks much better.

Quote from: FireArrow on February 17, 2018, 05:43:02 PMIt's an octave lower in the original but that clashed with the L.H. I didn't really wanna mess with the L.H. too much so meh, if it doesn't work up there I can live without it.
In the original it doesn't actually resolve to a G, it just fades away and resolves to a B in the next bar. Take a look at the new file and see what you think.

Quote from: FireArrow on February 17, 2018, 05:43:02 PMDoes this work? Makes more sense in the context of the piece after you fixed up the layers, although I don't know if it's good to adjust a note length purely for readability.
I don't really think so. I've made a suggestion in the link above which technically works, although possibly a little plain.

Quote from: FireArrow on February 17, 2018, 05:43:02 PMI just left out the F# in the R.H. Everything I tried with the L.H. ended up sounding gross.
I'd probably suggest also leaving out the A in beat 1 for improved smoothness.

Quote from: FireArrow on February 17, 2018, 05:43:02 PMI made it a 3 note chord with the A. A being the 5th scale degree created a lot of forward momentum I really think is needed there. The extra note shouldn't be too out of place since it's a big cadence.
Another option is in the file I linked above, just an idea. However just be aware there is no A in bar 19 in the track, the top note is just a G.

Oh, and there was something I meant to mention before but I forgot to add it to my post. There are some spots in the track where the bass trombone sounding instrument is much more prominent than the string bass and I wonder if it's worth choosing the bass bone notes instead of the string bass in some of those instances. For example, the last note of bar 12, using an A instead of an E. There are other spots too. What do you think?