The Official Wind Waker Project

Started by Latios212, December 28, 2016, 06:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: SebastianThat's the harp.
Well yes, it's all harp. But with the way you've written the rest of it, that note should be in the bottom staff. And either way, it's an octave too high.

Quote from: SebastianI was hoping to add some pedal marking in there. I thought this sounded decent. I can edit in a different one.
"Two hands with 10 fingers recommended"

E. Gadd Industries

"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Sebastian

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on December 31, 2016, 03:52:18 PMWell yes, it's all harp. But with the way you've written the rest of it, that note should be in the bottom staff. And either way, it's an octave too high.
Well, yes. I meant the high harp. There are two As being played: An A a tenth below middle C and an A a 3rd below middle C. The A I added is the 16th note A which is a third below middle C. I don't start adding the bass until it strikes on beat 3 which starts in M. 3.

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on December 31, 2016, 03:52:18 PM"Two hands with 10 fingers recommended"
I guess we'll start outlawing pedal markings then. :P

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: Sebastian on December 31, 2016, 08:01:21 PMI don't start adding the bass until it strikes on beat 3 which starts in M. 3.
Why? The bass note is much more important. That's what makes that particular syncopation stand out and gives it some meaning. Without it there's no kick and it just floats by on its merry way.

Sebastian

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on December 31, 2016, 08:18:07 PMWhy? The bass note is much more important. That's what makes that particular syncopation stand out and gives it some meaning. Without it there's no kick and it just floats by on its merry way.
Alright then. I can add it.

FireArrow

The Deku Tree and the Koroks: [MUS]

I don't know why I volunteered for that I hate this song. Probably could of been more meticulous but eh
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

mikey

Tentatively claiming these, as in I think they're all pretty short and I'll be able to do them all fairly quickly
A Mysterious Giant Bird Attacks
Tetra Discovered
Battle
Dawn
Get Heart Container
Phantom Ganon?
HELMAROC KING
Hero of the Wind
Puppet Ganon (Snake Mode) again...
Game Demo
unmotivated

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: FireArrow on January 01, 2017, 03:00:17 PMThe Deku Tree and the Koroks: [MUS]

I don't know why I volunteered for that I hate this song. Probably could of been more meticulous but eh
I'll take a shot at doing some cleaning up and get back to you.

FireArrow

Would be much appreciated. Looks pretty shit atm

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: FireArrow on January 01, 2017, 10:02:42 PMWould be much appreciated. Looks pretty shit atm
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84117653/Assistance/The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20The%20Wind%20Waker%20-%20The%20Deku%20Tree%20and%20the%20Koroks.mus

Notes:
- General note fixes around the place. Nothing I particularly feel like mentioning but there were some tricky bits.
- I haven't cleaned up the layout because some of that might depend on what happens with the stuff you haven't read yet.
- I think it might need some more dynamics. I added some in.
- I had some fun with repeats and got it down to 3 pages. Let me know if you think I've lost the plot.
- In the section from bar 2 onwards, I'm not sure what you're aiming for as far as re-articulating (or not re-articulating) the held bass notes. Eg bar 2-3 is 4 minims but then in bar 7-8 it's just held. And then in bar 16 it's not.
- In bar 22 the harp gliss starts somewhere near beat 1 but I just shuffled it over to beat 2 to make it work. I'm not  what you want to do to capture the twinkle in the RH. I tried a trill but that sounds dumb, as do octaves. I guess there's always the multiple fingering trick for hammering out a repeated note but that could be a bit lame. Then again, that bar and half is somewhat lame. Go figure.
- I transcribed bar 24-25. Up to you how you want to arrange it.
- New time sig at 28 onwards. I also moved all the accompaniment in to the bottom staff. I know the RH is going to wind up playing it some of the time but I like seeing repeated material look consistent on the page.
- Bar 41: There's not much you can do to make 4 bars of held chord interesting. Tell the player to use vibrato? Shake the piano perhaps? Hopefully it won't scream "TILT" and start flashing red lights and sirens.
Anyway, starting it a couple of beats late and throwing a gliss in was the best I could think of.

FireArrow

Quote from: Deku Trombonist on January 03, 2017, 05:35:06 AM- I had some fun with repeats and got it down to 3 pages. Let me know if you think I've lost the plot.

Normally I'm against repeat loops like that, but given how ludicrously repetitive the end bit gets I think it's a fair exception.

Quote- In the section from bar 2 onwards, I'm not sure what you're aiming for as far as re-articulating (or not re-articulating) the held bass notes. Eg bar 2-3 is 4 minims but then in bar 7-8 it's just held. And then in bar 16 it's not.

That's just what I heard. Probably imagining things.

Quote- In bar 22 the harp gliss starts somewhere near beat 1 but I just shuffled it over to beat 2 to make it work. I'm not  what you want to do to capture the twinkle in the RH. I tried a trill but that sounds dumb, as do octaves. I guess there's always the multiple fingering trick for hammering out a repeated note but that could be a bit lame. Then again, that bar and half is somewhat lame. Go figure.

Oh so that's what's going on. I heard it as two voices on top of each other that go into unison halfway through. I didn't even bother transcribing the twinkle because I though it would be pain to play without really adding much.

Quote- I transcribed bar 24-25. Up to you how you want to arrange it.

I kind of liked what I had before, although I had no idea there were so many notes in that sustained voice. I'll get around to arranging it some day....

Quote- New time sig at 28 onwards. I also moved all the accompaniment in to the bottom staff. I know the RH is going to wind up playing it some of the time but I like seeing repeated material look consistent on the page.

Curious as to why you think a compound meter is better. Probably becuase I looked at it as more of a syncopation than a 2 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 3. As for putting everything in the bottom, I wanted to keep the arrangement at a fairly easy difficulty level so I prefered just omitting the middle voice in areas where the L.H. would have to make big jumps. If you don't think it's an issue though then I don't mind; I'm not too fond of this piece so I don't feel strongly one way or the other.

The Deku Trombonist

Quote from: FireArrow on January 04, 2017, 12:20:51 AMNormally I'm against repeat loops like that, but given how ludicrously repetitive the end bit gets I think it's a fair exception.
Yeah same here. I just thought I'd try something different.

Quote from: FireArrow on January 04, 2017, 12:20:51 AMThat's just what I heard. Probably imagining things.
I didn't think any of the notes were re-articulated (as in the only articulated bits were the note changes).

Quote from: FireArrow on January 04, 2017, 12:20:51 AMOh so that's what's going on. I heard it as two voices on top of each other that go into unison halfway through. I didn't even bother transcribing the twinkle because I though it would be pain to play without really adding much.
Well there's that too. There are a couple of voices on the whole tone-based run, and then the harp gliss with it's own harmony. I just went for something that is clear and works.

Quote from: FireArrow on January 04, 2017, 12:20:51 AMI kind of liked what I had before, although I had no idea there were so many notes in that sustained voice. I'll get around to arranging it some day....
It's your arrangement so you do whatever you want with it. I'm just sharing my thoughts or approaches and you don't have to follow them or anything.

Quote from: FireArrow on January 04, 2017, 12:20:51 AMCurious as to why you think a compound meter is better. Probably because I looked at it as more of a syncopation than a 2 + 2 + 3 + 2 + 3. As for putting everything in the bottom, I wanted to keep the arrangement at a fairly easy difficulty level so I preferred just omitting the middle voice in areas where the L.H. would have to make big jumps. If you don't think it's an issue though then I don't mind; I'm not too fond of this piece so I don't feel strongly one way or the other.
A couple of things. Firstly I kinda thought it felt a bit like 7/8 + 5/8. Second, there's no beat that it's bouncing off (when tambourine comes in a couple of bars in it just highlights the same pattern). And I also thought it better highlighted the relationship between that and the 10/8 later on. But again, your sheet, up to you.

Sebastian

[GCN] The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

Fencing Instruction     

Odd piece, but easy nevertheless.

The Deku Trombonist

Not sure if you knew, but if you let Finale do its default measure distribution, it fits on one page with room to fiddle.

Sebastian

Yeah, I knew that. 5-5-6-6-5 looked a little tight, especially since there are two layers, clef changes, and 8vas in some spots.