daj's dumping ground of compositions! :D

Started by daj, October 14, 2016, 02:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmpharosAndy

Have you got a recording from the performance?
innit

daj

Quote from: AmpharosAndy on March 16, 2017, 02:53:54 AMHave you got a recording from the performance?

derp. yeah, about that xD

Thanks for the reminder, and more than that I'm really happy that you're interested in my stuff. :) I'll go check out and review some of your things too! ^^ Much cheers~

AmpharosAndy

That was a brilliant performance! Really brought the piece to life. Shame about all the background noise :P

Quote from: daj on March 16, 2017, 03:13:42 AMI'll go check out and review some of your things too!
I recommend checking out Symphonic Images No. 3 as it is similar in theme to walk so you might happen to 'get it' as such. And because it's my favourite ;)
innit

Onionleaf

That's a wonderful performance, you must be so proud. :) The piece reminds me of a rising sunset - slow-moving yet grandiose.

AmpharosAndy

Do have happen to have a recording of mortis somewhere? There's only so much you can get from sibelius sounds. The section change at 2:56 sounds a lot like the great canyon (pmd1) to me (not a criticism). The pattern from bar 86 in 3/4 is awesome and I'm sure sounds very effective live! That's my favourite bit by far.
innit

daj

#5: really dark electronic ambient dance music.

it's a story. about isolation and all, but hey - it's a story.

~

I hesitated sharing this here, because it's not my usual fare (well, I wouldn't use the word "usual"). Also, with this being a legit music thingy which involved real dancers and a really cool choreographer...perhaps sharing the dance track in context online wasn't a good idea? Nonetheless, I decided that it was a cool enough concept to give it a shot :p

So here's the idea: the music is the focus, but through visuals, I guide listeners through the music! ^^ Lemme know what you think, haha <3

~

...and now the comments! I'm so sorry I didn't get to them earlier, it's procrastination ><. But thank you Onion and AA for listening and for the genuine thoughts, they're appreciated :)

Quote from: Onionleaf on March 19, 2017, 01:02:34 AMThat's a wonderful performance, you must be so proud. :) The piece reminds me of a rising sunset - slow-moving yet grandiose.

I love the image of a rising sunset, and we used a similar image to direct that section during rehearsals! ^^ I do like how you mentioned it was "slow-moving", and that's a little habit/style of mine - to hold back the cake forever until somewhere in the middle, where all the parts that I've teased suddenly come together and you get a delayed kind of gratification. Yay for slow pieces! :)

But hey, thank you for listening, and as much as I am proud of this performance, I'm grateful that you stayed to listen :)

Quote from: AmpharosAndy on May 01, 2017, 01:50:33 PMDo have happen to have a recording of mortis somewhere? There's only so much you can get from sibelius sounds. The section change at 2:56 sounds a lot like the great canyon (pmd1) to me (not a criticism). The pattern from bar 86 in 3/4 is awesome and I'm sure sounds very effective live! That's my favourite bit by far.

Unfortunately, no... :(
It was premiered live, but I wasn't there (I mean, a soldier can't afford plane tickets :p) and the organisers never got back to me, ahaha.

I'm glad you pointed out the change at 2:56, and the harmony is pretty similar to Great Canyon there, ahaha. xD But it's probably the weakest point of the whole piece too. Had no idea where to go, so I threw in a fast section. It's not to say I didn't think it through, but that...well, I had to write something after that drop. A fast section just sounded right in my mind, and while it didn't work out that well in execution, I guess it was enough to make it this time ^^

And the part in 86 - that was probably the first part of the whole work I wrote, hehe. I'm really happy that you liked it, because it was the inspiration that all other parts branched out from. Parallel harmonic motion, yeaaaahh! :D